Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Casual means you play for the experience - you don't care about resets, min/maxing, you just play.

    Hardcore means you play for rewards - you make sure you are getting max or close to max rewards for the reset.

    Depends on your mindset at the time and activity.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Casual means you play for the experience - you don't care about resets, min/maxing, you just play.

    Hardcore means you play for rewards - you make sure you are getting max or close to max rewards for the reset.

    Depends on your mindset at the time and activity.
    This is a pretty well summarized version of what i was saying - imo, its the mindset and attitude that is the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Any sane person would see your a moron.

  3. #43
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    30,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Casual means you play for the experience - you don't care about resets, min/maxing, you just play.

    Hardcore means you play for rewards - you make sure you are getting max or close to max rewards for the reset.

    Depends on your mindset at the time and activity.
    That doesn't work. I play maybe twice a week for a couple of hours every session. I've been in the game over 10 years. I enjoy the experience of new zones when an expansion drops but after that I do have a list of things to do that will help to progress my character. So I'm playing for rewards long after the 'experience' part is over. No, they are not max rewards but they are still rewards and I actively go after them and in a lot of cases I max out non-raid stuff long after everyone else. I'm OK with that.

    That said, I'm as casual as they come. You're right about the mindset, less right about the specific definitions.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    That doesn't work. I play maybe twice a week for a couple of hours every session. I've been in the game over 10 years. I enjoy the experience of new zones when an expansion drops but after that I do have a list of things to do that will help to progress my character. So I'm playing for rewards long after the 'experience' part is over. No, they are not max rewards but they are still rewards and I actively go after them and in a lot of cases I max out non-raid stuff long after everyone else. I'm OK with that.

    That said, I'm as casual as they come. You're right about the mindset, less right about the specific definitions.
    Sounds like it works perfectly. You're casual because you aren't maxing your rewards. Casuals still improve their characters.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Here is a secret. Playing solo is not valid in a multiplayer game. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. If solo play was valid then you could get the highest level of gear solo. You can't. Solo play is your tutorial before you go out to the world and do group activities for the best gear. If this offends people then my advice is move on. Blizzard loves your dollars but actual real players don't.
    Here is secret. Wow doesn't have to be multiplayer game.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Here is secret. Wow doesn't have to be multiplayer game.
    I mean.......you do know what the second M in MMORPG stands for though, right? Wether their argument is valid or not, wether I agree or not, I think it's pretty wild to suggest wow "doesn't have to be" a multiplayer game. Shoes don't HAVE to go on your feet - but wearing them on your hands while saying "these shoes suck!" Isn't going to result in a lot of sympathy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Any sane person would see your a moron.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    I mean.......you do know what the second M in MMORPG stands for though, right? Wether their argument is valid or not, wether I agree or not, I think it's pretty wild to suggest wow "doesn't have to be" a multiplayer game. Shoes don't HAVE to go on your feet - but wearing them on your hands while saying "these shoes suck!" Isn't going to result in a lot of sympathy.
    It's standard mistake. It's not genre, that defines game. It's game, that defines it's genre. If Blizzard want to make more money, they should make game for wider auditory. And this M letter obviously prevents them from doing it.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    It's standard mistake. It's not genre, that defines game. It's game, that defines it's genre. If Blizzard want to make more money, they should make game for wider auditory. And this M letter obviously prevents them from doing it.
    Is that why Cod:warzone, LoL, fortnite, and CS:Go are all struggling so much? Because they made the mistake of focusing on multiplayer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Any sane person would see your a moron.

  9. #49
    Yes. You can be a hardcore raider, hardcore m+er, hardcore pet battlers, hardcore collector, hardcore pvper etc.

    The problem with understanding this comes from elitism found in some circles (notably people from the original main activities of the game - raids and pvp) who think that you have to partake in their favorite activities in order to be classified as hardcore.

    I only do heroic raids and do like 1-2 mythic bosses per tier tops. At the same time, I consider myself much more hardcore than like 90% of mythic raiders due to my collections being much much better than most of theirs. This doesn't have much to do with the topic itself, I just like to include to piss those people off

  10. #50
    Elemental Lord Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    8,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaqthefat View Post
    WoD was the most casual you could be in WoW. You literally had to do nothing. WoD is the only expansion in the game where you could get full mythic gear by just logging on and doing garrison missions. The most casual friendly WoW expansion.
    Please explain how dropping high level gear from something as dumb as a facebook-like minigame such as garrisons equals somehow to casual content. That's only true if you go by the meme of cAsUelZ WunT TwotWosEex GEarZ In thE m4iK.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    As for the "hone your skills" argument that some are tossing around, fuck that. Most people want to have fun. They're not logging onto WoW, the video game, as a self-improvement project. That's a ridiculous notion and goes right along with the idea that the game is "work." If it's not 'play' then you're doing it wrong. Sadly this is a concept that the devs seem to have lost sight of in their quest to keep anyone and everyone busy.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Yes. You can be a hardcore raider, hardcore m+er, hardcore pet battlers, hardcore collector, hardcore pvper etc.

    The problem with understanding this comes from elitism found in some circles (notably people from the original main activities of the game - raids and pvp) who think that you have to partake in their favorite activities in order to be classified as hardcore.

    I only do heroic raids and do like 1-2 mythic bosses per tier tops. At the same time, I consider myself much more hardcore than like 90% of mythic raiders due to my collections being much much better than most of theirs. This doesn't have much to do with the topic itself, I just like to include to piss those people off
    lol "elitism" has nothing to do with it. The problem is when people who demand these other activities' incentives are given for nothing to people who refuse to participate in them. The rewards should reflect the content. You do pet battles all day long you're typically rewarded with items related to pet battles and winning tends to net you better results. You do PVE at low levels, your gear should cap out at low levels. You do PVE at the highest level you should get the highest reward. This constant claim that "casuals need gear" needs to stop as you can complete the content they do at the same ease of mythic raiders do their content in max gear with 200 ilvl gear or lower.

    If anything I think you missed the point where people sit and proclaim THEMSELVES to be casual not the other way around when said people claiming to be casual spend hours upon hours in the game and just refuse to do the content. That's like playing Dark Souls and refusing to kill a single enemy and wondering why you can't get items from Anor Londo.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Probably the most hardcore player in the game is the guy who never left the Wandering Isle and levels up to max level each expansion by picking flowers. Hard, no. Hardcore, yep.
    You're mistaking grinding easy content for hardcore. It is a common mistake. It's about the content type not how long it takes you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    lol "elitism" has nothing to do with it. The problem is when people who demand these other activities' incentives are given for nothing to people who refuse to participate in them. The rewards should reflect the content. You do pet battles all day long you're typically rewarded with items related to pet battles and winning tends to net you better results. You do PVE at low levels, your gear should cap out at low levels. You do PVE at the highest level you should get the highest reward. This constant claim that "casuals need gear" needs to stop as you can complete the content they do at the same ease of mythic raiders do their content in max gear with 200 ilvl gear or lower.

    If anything I think you missed the point where people sit and proclaim THEMSELVES to be casual not the other way around when said people claiming to be casual spend hours upon hours in the game and just refuse to do the content. That's like playing Dark Souls and refusing to kill a single enemy and wondering why you can't get items from Anor Londo.
    Yes, and people call themselves casual despite not being casuals because they are constantly told that you are a casual unless you are getting cutting edges, glad titles or famed slayers every tier.

    And then every debate turns into 'casual vs. hardcore' because people really believe they are casual, despite being very devoted to the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    You're mistaking grinding easy content for hardcore. It is a common mistake. It's about the content type not how long it takes you.
    Hardcore has nothing to do with difficulty of the activity. If you're grinding something for 10 hours for 100 days, then you're a hardcore grinder of that particular thing.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Please explain how dropping high level gear from something as dumb as a facebook-like minigame such as garrisons equals somehow to casual content. That's only true if you go by the meme of cAsUelZ WunT TwotWosEex GEarZ In thE m4iK.
    Being able to get the best gear in the game by doing 0 work is very, very casual friendly

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    That's only true if you go by the meme of cAsUelZ WunT TwotWosEex GEarZ In thE m4iK.
    Could you translate please? If you are trying to say that casuals want high lvl gear given to them while taken away from mythic raiders, that isnt a "meme" - there is a discussion going on in another thread right now where multiple people are suggesting completely removing all gear from mythic raids, and giving it to "casuals" for farming WQ instead, as more people do that activity.

    If you are trying to say something else, then please clarify.
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Any sane person would see your a moron.

  16. #56
    Just like if you're dating a girl casually playing a game casually means you're not taking it super seriously and you're not that committed.

    You're not going to put in the hard work required to maintain a relationship, you're just there to have fun.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Here is secret. Wow doesn't have to be multiplayer game.
    Doesnt have to be, but it should never cater to solo players cause it was never the focus

  18. #58
    Elemental Lord Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    8,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaqthefat View Post
    Being able to get the best gear in the game by doing 0 work is very, very casual friendly
    First, you are equating casual players to lazy ones, which is very... Misguided, to say the least. Second, you are equating a game with work, which is just... lol.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Could you translate please? If you are trying to say that casuals want high lvl gear given to them while taken away from mythic raiders, that isnt a "meme" - there is a discussion going on in another thread right now where multiple people are suggesting completely removing all gear from mythic raids, and giving it to "casuals" for farming WQ instead, as more people do that activity.

    If you are trying to say something else, then please clarify.
    Would you mind providing such a quote? Because you seem to have severely misunderstood that other thread if this is what you are getting from.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    As for the "hone your skills" argument that some are tossing around, fuck that. Most people want to have fun. They're not logging onto WoW, the video game, as a self-improvement project. That's a ridiculous notion and goes right along with the idea that the game is "work." If it's not 'play' then you're doing it wrong. Sadly this is a concept that the devs seem to have lost sight of in their quest to keep anyone and everyone busy.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    First, you are equating casual players to lazy ones, which is very... Misguided, to say the least. Second, you are equating a game with work, which is just... lol.
    No, I'm really not. For the casual players who want gear, but don't have time to get gear this was the expansion for them.

    There are multiple definitions of work. Work doesn't mean a job. If you had to go put milk in the fridge so it doesn't spoil that is classified as work. Killing a boss to get loot drops is technically work.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Would you mind providing such a quote? Because you seem to have severely misunderstood that other thread if this is what you are getting from.
    Person A said "mythic should not reward any gear". I pointed this out as being a pretty backwards way of looking at it, and then person B, linked below, responded:

    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    He's right it shouldn't. The upshot of this is that if it was handled correctly you could raid log and not have to worry about ever leaving your mythic raiding bubble.
    So this person completely agrees that all loot should be removed from Mythic raids. I asked for clarity on what your silly little attempt at a meme actually meant, since it is obviously not easy to read.

    edit - found the original post from "person A"

    Quote Originally Posted by Clash the DK View Post
    You have it backwards. Why should the hardest content even reward gear? It's about the challenge, right?
    Last edited by arkanon; 2021-05-16 at 10:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Any sane person would see your a moron.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •