View Poll Results: What is your stance on extraterrestrial intelligent life and the Fermi Paradox?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • They visit the earth or our solar system all the time.

14 13.46%
  • They are probably within our line of site. But they are too advanced for us to detect.

24 23.08%
  • Intelligent life is incredibly rare. We will never see them.

59 56.73%
  • Humans are possibly the only intelligent life in the visible universe

7 6.73%

Thread: Aliens

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Given our current understanding, they're really not near the same what you see in movies and TV.
    I'm almost certain that can apply to our understanding of how reality itself works.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm almost certain that can apply to our understanding of how reality itself works.
    Hmm, it's curious... does Science Fiction properly predict? Or does science follow Science Fiction inspiration?

I'll say this, we should be mindful that there was a (brief) time when people would with all earnestness claim the sound barrier couldn't be broken. And they would refuse to even talk to you about it seriously, they just knew it couldn't be done. And then Chuck Yeager came a long, said "Yep, fuck that" and broke it.

So, I'll support Winter in all her fantastical dreams and hopes, even although the uninformed layman in me says "Yeah well, whenever I see scientists talk about it they sigh, do that pathetic smile, switch to eli5 mode and gently let you know that it's nonsense without trying to make you feel too stupid..."

Goes kinda like this "Wormholes? Yeah sure, they could exist. And theoretically, you could travel through them to another space in time... it's just very unlikely and they're rather small and unstable."

What he's thinking is "Ha, fat chance, idiot... unless you're literally the size of atoms and somehow manage to distort time and space to make yourself still be you, want to travel to any random spot in the universe on a one way ticket... like what's even the point? And god knows what'll happen to your personal time in relation to Earth time, by the time you sent us a message back by imaginary hyperlightspeed whatsapp, Earth might already be eaten by the sun, but... yeah, sure, the math checks out, wormholes can be a thing. Just probably not useful to any of us for the next couple million years of evolution..."

I'm not a physicist, so feel free to make fun of my bad science. I'm just making up shit as I go along...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I have been reading up (or actually watching) LOT of stuff on UFOs/UAPs since I heard about those 3 videos leaking recently (I think it was about a few weeks ago... I am not sure). I read that these kind of sightings of UAPs have been happening for 70+ years now and that they (US gov) have been documenting everything since then. I mean I am usually a skeptic but at the same time I am not... I am kinda religious but kinda not, since I grew up with my religion with my parents so that's what I mostly know but at the same time I have my own internal battles about different things that I feel can't be right according to my religion. I have never ever been fully satisfied or content with my religion so I always question things now but at the same time, force of habit (of rituals and whatnot) are ingrained in me from when I was young that I do those things without giving it too much thought.

Anyway, I went on a weird tangent there lol but what I wanted to say was it could be possible that aliens do exist. I am not fully believing into it but at the same time, I am not going to exclude it completely. I do understand that the government lies about many things all the time, especially the US, but if I live my life believing or actually not believing anything anyone says no matter what it is, then that kind of existence would just be very sad and would drive me absolutely insane or paranoid. I flip-flop a lot on many issues that I have encountered in my life but I can't believe that every scientific proof/evidence that is put forth about anything, whether it be about aliens/UAPs/UFOs or anything else, is all fabricated. SOME of it is not gonna be fabricated.

I am though waiting patiently for that UAP report that the US government is going to give to US congress soon in this month so I can find what they do know finally in relation to this. But at the same time, I am pretty sure that both sides of this issue would be not be satisfied with what they will release. And plus, the government will probably hide or classify things from the public as they see fit so... I am basically just very curious at this point now and see where this all leads.

For anyone interested: https://www.dni.gov/files/ODNI/docum...P-20210625.pdf

Nothing much/new to the report... basically them just saying that there's things unidentified and it could be something or it could be nothing.

Found this interesting, thou: “Some UAP appeared to remain stationary in winds aloft, move against the wind, maneuver abruptly, or move at considerable speed, without discernable means of propulsion.”

I don't think they'll ever come out and say the truth, tbh. They'll just continue to tip-toe around it.
    Fairy tales are more than true–not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman

I don’t think alien life is particularly uncommon, but I think the universe is just too big to ever really know it. The sheer amount of energy required to traverse interstellar distances in a timely manner in order to find out and make meaningful communication is too great. You’d have to literally chew up stars, and access to that kind of power is limited in our system.

Supposing some incredibly long lived creature did make the journey here, it’s perception of time would be so stretched compared to ours, that we’d be seen individually, as little more than mayfly, and they to us having the permanence of mountains, wouldn’t be recognisable as something living.

Hmm...Five things to know about the UFO report

1.) Vast majority of UFO cases remain unexplained
    2.) Stops short of ruling out extraterrestrial life
    3.) Raises specter of advanced tech from China, Russia
    4.) Objects could pose a threat to national security, pilot safety
    5.) Future sightings will rely on more data, resources

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmm...Five things to know about the UFO report

2.) Stops short of ruling out extraterrestrial life
    Doesn't rule out ghost either. Are we witnessing GHOST PLANES!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Yuujin View Post
    Doesn't rule out ghost either. Are we witnessing GHOST PLANES!?!
    That'd be a relevant point if the report were about ghosts.

Short answer is, from the math of it, even with lightspeed space travel, we'd never meaningfully contact each other. The universe is incomprehensibly big. They might very well be extinct by the time we reach their civilization we see 1 million lightyears away.
    Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    Sylvanas will just give her own head to Tyrande.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    And just like the thread before it, let's back away from sexualizing Azshara and return to the original topic at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Short answer is, from the math of it, even with lightspeed space travel, we'd never meaningfully contact each other. The universe is incomprehensibly big. They might very well be extinct by the time we reach their civilization we see 1 million lightyears away.
    Unless... *drumroll* we do manage to make some kind of FTL travel. As of now it is theoretically possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Unless... *drumroll* we do manage to make some kind of FTL travel.
    Ok, i'm strugling with english here, is FTL, Faster then Light?

As of now it is theoretically possible.
    With our current technology and math understanding its impossible to accelerate matter to the speed of light. As soon as we reach 99% of it it requires even more energy to go faster, so we actually can't get to 100%, ceartainly not faster then it.
    Wormholes in the other hand, have been proven to exist inside Black Holes singularities, and it might be possible to replicate one, if..., we gather enought energy.

Dude, stop reading sci-fi, you confusing reality with fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post

With our current technology and math understanding its impossible to accelerate matter to the speed of light. As soon as we reach 99% of it it requires even more energy to go faster, so we actually can't get to 100%, ceartainly not faster then it.
    Wormholes in the other hand, have been proven to exist inside Black Holes singularities, and it might be possible to replicate one, if..., we gather enought energy.

Yes, FTL as in faster-than-light.

You told me to stop confusing reality with fiction while at the same time you mentioned that wormholes exist. First, they are not proven, just speculative. Second, yes, I obviously did not mean trying to do the impossible and accelerating faster than speed of light, but attempting to work around it (again, wormholes, Alcubierre drive, etc.) - which scientifically might be achievable.
    Take that haters.

I don't understand why arguments around the speed of light even exist. I imagine it to sound like humans from thousands of years ago arguing you can't travel faster than horseback.

I believe there is life out there. From bacteria to even intelligent species like ourselves.

I do not believe any of them have travelled here, much less made contact.

Obviously anything is possible. We are already reasonably sure FTL travel is possible theoretically. but even if there is some space faring civilization out there, that doesn't mean they care abut us or are even reasonably close enough to visit. Space is big.

Yes, FTL as in faster-than-light.

You told me to stop confusing reality with fiction while at the same time you mentioned that wormholes exist. First, they are not proven, just speculative. Second, yes, I obviously did not mean trying to do the impossible and accelerating faster than speed of light, but attempting to work around it (again, wormholes, Alcubierre drive, etc.) - which scientifically might be achievable.
    Wormhole its not the same has FTL, its actually about creating a shortcut betwin two points.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    I don't understand why arguments around the speed of light even exist. I imagine it to sound like humans from thousands of years ago arguing you can't travel faster than horseback.
    Lets say we mankind have done enought work to realise that its not possible. For god sake, we already managed to accelerate particles at around 98% the speed of light, and the result is always the same, to increase velocity, you always required to add more energy. Its not about math, but about a proven fact.

Youre not wrong but a physicist would also say there's more than enough room for our understanding of physics to shift. If our current model holds, FTL is impossible. Hell, humanity is likely to die in this solar system unless we build some massive arks. Some Mass Effect/Quarian type setup.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Wormhole its not the same has FTL, its actually about creating a shortcut betwin two points.
    Brah, we call FTL everything that lets us move from one place to another faster than it would take light to do so. That does include all the wormhole stuff.
    Take that haters.

Lets say we mankind have done enought work to realise that its not possible. For god sake, we already managed to accelerate particles at around 98% the speed of light, and the result is always the same, to increase velocity, you always required to add more energy. Its not about math, but about a proven fact.
    This is exactly what I'm referring to. Someone on TV says we can't go faster than light because it's not possible, therefore aliens can't visit Earth. Meanwhile, time and time again over the course of just human history we have figured out how to do amazing things that didn't seem possible at first. Traveling across the galaxy very well may have nothing to do with the speed of light.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    This is exactly what I'm referring to. Someone on TV says we can't go faster than light because it's not possible, therefore aliens can't visit Earth.
    Not someone on TV, several guy's at particle accelerators... Doing their jobs based on empirical evidences.

Not someone on TV, several guy's at particle accelerators... Doing their jobs based on empirical evidences.
    Who don't know what technology humans will have thousands of years from now. Then just imagine intelligent alien life that's been around for potentially millions or billions of years.

This makes the argument of "space is too big" and "speed of light" completely pointless. It's fine if they don't want to think aliens have visited us. But using those points as reasons why they haven't are ridiculous.

I'd sooner believe we are in a "space nature reserve" that's controlled by one group of aliens and no one else is allowed inside before I'd believe it's due to a lack of technological advancement over the course of 13+ billion years.
    Last edited by Blur4stuff; 2021-07-02 at 05:15 PM.