Poll: What is your stance on extraterrestrial intelligent life and the Fermi Paradox?

Thread: Aliens

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Exclamation Aliens

Where do you think all the aliens are?

*line of sight
    Last edited by dwarven; 2021-05-16 at 12:17 AM.

Somewhere in Space, duh.

Cloning humans to replace us...and eventually become a food source.

7+ Year Old Account
    I believe alien life exists. I do not believe any aliens have ever visited this planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    I believe alien life exists. I do not believe any aliens have ever visited this planet.
    Ye, basically this. Im sure theres some alien life somewhere in space, but its most likely more some kind of animal and not some green guy in a flying saucer.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Poll is lacking options. 3 and 4 might as well be the same thing.

So really its's just 3 options...they are here, they are near, or they don't exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back and to the left...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I believe aliens exist, and that they absolutely visit this planet. Tons of evidence out there, even from our own military.
    Area 51 conspiracy started, because some random made a claim about aliens. The military realized it was far better for public to believe its aliens, instead of the U2 spy plane. At one point, they slapped a NASA sticker on a plane and just flew it from Nevada to Texas, just to claim it was a NASA weather device. So... this one military dude, started to encourage the guy thinking the test planes are aliens, convincing him it was aliens.

I just think it’s funny, that through freedom of information act... we know government has lied about aliens, to encourage people to think spy planes and test planes, were actually aliens. While at the same time, we believe that government is hiding information about aliens.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    Aliens are possible but it's too early to know about the probability. Scientists would need to discover the chain of molecules that led up to life and do an exhaustive study of potential non-Carbon based life and replicators that don't use RNA/DNA. Also scientists would need to know more about physics and cosmology.

I've yet to come across anything that isn't mostly speculation. It doesn't make much sense to "believe" any claim on this matter when no one can explain why one of the answers is correct.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-05-16 at 03:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    Where do you think all the aliens are?

*line of sight
    Honestlly.

I voted, "They visit the earth or our solar system all the time."

But only our solar system, for I have a feeling an intelligent non-warmongering race would stay the F**K away from Earth until we get more civilized.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Any species advanced enough to break the laws of physics and have FTL travel and make it to Earth undetected has better things to do than troll the locals with random flybys. It's be like age of sail ships sailing halfway around the world to troll monkeys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you ever thought.....that maybe we are the aliens?
    Last edited by Sorensen; 2021-05-16 at 07:10 AM.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

I think they are out of time and space or not phased into linear time so we have no way of observing them.

10+ Year Old Account
    That aliens exist? Statistically very likely. One can cite all kinds of "implausibilities" about life forming on other planets, but that a myriad of supposedly "critical life-bearing factors" (A Goldilocks zone-inhabiting planet, a tidally-locked moon of ponderous size, the presence of liquid water) have multiple examples manifested within our own tiny solar system makes me fairly certain that, among the 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets estimated to exist in the universe, there's a fair likelyhood that some of them exist with the potential to support life.

However, that aliens have ever visited earth? That's gonna be a big no from me, dog.

The government isn't remotely competent enough to keep something like aliens a secret, whackadoos claiming to have worked at area 51 aside.

People seeing "unidentified flying objects" does not then empower one to say "I don't know what it is, so obviously, I know it's aliens."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

3rd option is the closest for me.

The hurdles of space travel are just way too big to overcome, unless there is some very well hidden cheat out there that somehow negates it I simply don't see any species casually traveling the stars. And even if you can, the way evolution has worked out for us on this planet has pretty much proven that we are creatures of our enviroment and coming here from another one would be most likely pointless. Given that even planets within the parameters for live are still vastly different to earth (gravity, atmospheric composition, gas pressures, temperature etc). So it would be alot of effort for very little gain.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Aliens are possible but it's too early to know about the probability. Scientists would need to discover the chain of molecules that led up to life and do an exhaustive study of potential non-Carbon based life and replicators that don't use RNA/DNA. Also scientists would need to know more about physics and cosmology.

I've yet to come across anything that isn't mostly speculation. It doesn't make much sense to "believe" any claim on this matter when no one can explain why one of the answers is correct.
    That's assuming life is only carbon based...

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Any species advanced enough to break the laws of physics and have FTL travel and make it to Earth undetected has better things to do than troll the locals with random flybys. It's be like age of sail ships sailing halfway around the world to troll monkeys.
    While I agree with you, I think your example is a bit lacking. The crew of a ship in your example might actually troll monkies. I mean we have cruise ship capatains that draw dicks on GPS maps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Poll is lacking options. 3 and 4 might as well be the same thing.

So really its's just 3 options...they are here, they are near, or they don't exist.
    1. They exist and visit.
    2. They exist and visit, but we can't detect them.
    3, They likely exist but can't reach us.
    4. They don't exist.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    1. They exist and visit.
    2. They exist and visit, but we can't detect them.
    3, They likely exist but can't reach us.
    4. They don't exist.
    As i said, 3 and 4 might as well be the same thing. Either they don't exist or they are so far away that it doesn't matter if they do. Either way, we will never encounter intelligent life from other planets.

And 2 doesn't say anything about visiting...just that we can't detect them. Our "Line of sight" in terms of outer space is small compared to the vastness of the universe...but pretty far in general terms.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-05-16 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    As i said, 3 and 4 might as well be the same thing. Either they don't exist or they are so far away that it doesn't matter if they do. Either way, we will never encounter intelligent life from other planets.
    You're too far away from me and I'll never see you. Therefore, you don't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I believe aliens exist, and that they absolutely visit this planet. Tons of evidence out there, even from our own military.
    Visit and do what? Illegally vote for Trump? Stargate is a great series, but it's not a documentary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastard View Post
    You're too far away from me and I'll never see you. Therefore, you don't exist.
    Well, the aliens that may or may not exist on the other side of the universe will have even less impact on your life than I do.

Also, If I don't exist you're going to look really silly for replying to me.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-05-16 at 09:25 AM.