Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Are 1080ti still viable?

So with the GPU shortage i have been shopping around and trying to see how different older GPUs compare to see whats worth buying. But Im just wondering how older cards are still viable. https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/comp...tra/ultra/-vs-

So if this is accurate a GPU released in 2017 is better than one released in 2021. How is that possible? Shouldnt technology today be better?

As someone who has a 1080ti, yes it still runs every game perfectly fine.

im having no issues with mine.

60+ fps as ultra at 2k np

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    So if this is accurate a GPU released in 2017 is better than one released in 2021. How is that possible? Shouldnt technology today be better?
    This is like comparing a 2017 BMW M3 with a 2021 Toyota Corolla and wondering why the M3 is faster.

Price $ 807.0 (1080ti) vs $ 329.0 (3060)
    I'm wondering why you are still wondering?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    the 1080ti is still viable for most games, hell the 1080 base is still viable for most games. issue is that they stopped making them in 2018(?) so they're more expensive than they should be due to very limited availability.

I'm still rocking an OG 1080 and it's still a pretty solid card. Maybe next month i'll jump into the 3080ti train if i'm able to snatch one, but tbh i'm actually covered with that card and my PS5 for now.

15+ Year Old Account
    You're comparing the current bottom end card of this generation with basically the top end card from 2 generations ago. That's rather normal.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    the 1080ti is still viable for most games, hell the 1080 base is still viable for most games. issue is that they stopped making them in 2018(?) so they're more expensive than they should be due to very limited availability.
    Not most games, but all games. Making a game that does not run well on said card is a financial suicide, there is yet to be one.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinaa View Post
    Not most games, but all games. Making a game that does not run well on said card is a financial suicide, there is yet to be one.
    tru tru

/10

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    You might suffer some performances issues with ray tacing, since they don’t have dedicated parts for it but otherwise it’ll be a great card that can handle everything else

10+ Year Old Account
    It is still a great gpu for crypto mining! /sarcasm
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

A 1080ti is perfectly capable of running everything on the market at 1080p at maxed or close to maxed settings at 60+ fps, and if you want to go higher resolution it has the vram to keep up (might need to drop some settings though).

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    You might suffer some performances issues with ray tacing, since they don’t have dedicated parts for it but otherwise it’ll be a great card that can handle everything else
    "Total inability to do RT as there is no hardware for it"

If you can I would just wait to build a new computer graphics card prices are insane because they vastly underestimated demand largely due to people needing higher end stuff when wfh for a lot of actual jobs not just gaming.

Okay card but no Ray Tracing, for that fact alone should go with 3060. I myself sit at a 2070 super and can play CyberPunk 2077 on ultra 1080p.. no complaints here. But RTX kind of changes the way games look and are played. Not sure I could ever go back with games that have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Feeline10 View Post
    Okay card but no Ray Tracing, for that fact alone should go with 3060. I myself sit at a 2070 super and can play CyberPunk 2077 on ultra 1080p.. no complaints here. But RTX kind of changes the way games look and are played. Not sure I could ever go back with games that have it.
    If only RTX wasn't this kind of performance hog for eye candy and supported by an handful of games. It's gonna become standard over time for sure, but still 3000 serie isn't making it more widespread, also because very few people actually have a 3000 card. Classic rasterization at high resolution can deliver pretty good quality, but beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.

On topic, 1080ti is still rocking, a testament at how good 1000 serie was. If you play older games you have no troubles. You're not gonna have 100+fps at ultra details on modern AAA maybe, but it still does a good job.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    "Total inability to do RT as there is no hardware for it"
    Mmm not according to the internet
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/11/1...-graphics-card
    https://www.tomsguide.com/us/ray-tra...ews-29847.html

https://www.quora.com/CAN-1080-TI-do-ray-tracing

Aswell as afew other sites.
    It’s literally just more specific calculations
    Oh and nividia has it on its own site. Granted it won’t be as great as newer generations
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...g-coming-soon/
    Last edited by Rustedsaint; 2021-05-17 at 11:46 AM.

1080/1080ti still fine for peasant 1080P or 1440P resolutions.

For a 2021 era resolution (4k, as used by new consoles) you'll want a faster card, as it'll choke.

It's great for 1080p and does well in 1440p assuming you're not playing overly taxing games and remain open to making a few compromises. No RTX support but RTX, while nice looking, is too much of a performance hog to bother in many cases if you ask me.

If I had one I definitely would wait for the 4000 series, by that time hopefully the supply situation gets sorted out. No point in getting a 3080/3090 right now unless you're really dying to play in 4k and are rich enough to afford the markup that even retailers ask for now, let alone scalpers. You'll run every single game that releases until then, trust me.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.