Thread: WHIP weapon ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account
    I could see there being a whip not as a weapon type but as an ability, similar to the outlaw rogue's pistol.

Perhaps if hunter's weren't necessarily best friends with their pets...yikes

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkli83 View Post
    I don't know.. I kinda want the Nay Nay as a weapon
    I'm ashamed to say I laughed.

on topic not likely anytime soon.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the closest thing we have are flails for Paladin and warrior but that's about it, i dont think blizz is going to add a completely new weapon type

7+ Year Old Account
    No, if only because whips are basically useless as a weapon. Even in fantasy, where every weapon has what it can do cranked up to a 10, they're basically thwarted by anything wearing clothes, armor, or has some natural resistance to physical damage.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    No, if only because whips are basically useless as a weapon. Even in fantasy, where every weapon has what it can do cranked up to a 10, they're basically thwarted by anything wearing clothes, armor, or has some natural resistance to physical damage.
    But fish and mugs are fine to transmog.

I said it already in this thread, but usefulness of a weapon in a fantasy setting is 100% dependent on how cool it looks. Double-swords like the Demon Hunters "warglaives" would need to be two handed in real life, metal mauls like Doomhammer would be far too heavy for any use at all, does and bears and t-rexes would not be able to have a fair fight, and gnome warriors wouldnt be able to heroically leap 30 feet in plate armor and then go for a swim. In Dungeons & Dragons, though, whips have a longer range, which makes up for their low damage; you can cast weapon-based spells through them, which normally have a much shorter range. Doubt they could make it work in WoW, but it could be cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    I think the closest thing we have are flails for Paladin and warrior but that's about it, i dont think blizz is going to add a completely new weapon type
    They added polearms

7+ Year Old Account
    could be like a mix out of whip and sword like ivy uses from soul calibur

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    But fish and mugs are fine to transmog.

I said it already in this thread, but usefulness of a weapon in a fantasy setting is 100% dependent on how cool it looks. Double-swords like the Demon Hunters "warglaives" would need to be two handed in real life, metal mauls like Doomhammer would be far too heavy for any use at all, does and bears and t-rexes would not be able to have a fair fight, and gnome warriors wouldnt be able to heroically leap 30 feet in plate armor and then go for a swim. In Dungeons & Dragons, though, whips have a longer range, which makes up for their low damage; you can cast weapon-based spells through them, which normally have a much shorter range. Doubt they could make it work in WoW, but it could be cool.
    In D&D whips are still useless and are a bad option for everyone in every situation. Any situation a whip could be useful in D&D almost every other option would be better. Additionally, there is a difference between something which is known to be a meme/joke and a weapon added for the fantasy. Warglaives and most other weapons that currently exist are obviously too big to be realistic but they buy in to the power fantasy of being able to use a weapon that would obviously be hundreds of pounds.

They added polearms
    I'm not sure what the relevance is. Polearms have existed since Vanilla.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a cool idea, and plenty of other MMO's have classes with excellent animations surrounding it (and look at the choreography for the
    Netflix Castlevania series for a fluid whip in action), but given the amount of work it would take to get it to look good, plus the fact that
    such a weapon doesn't really fit in with the current classes means it won't get implemented.

YET.

Quote Originally Posted by ipoststuff View Post
    Whipping isn't really effective enough.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siErCK7qcb8
    In a world where giant armored dragons die from wounds of a small gnome poking it repeatedly in the ankle with a poisoned dinner knife but is focused on the other more heavily armored gnome shouting insults

Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    I'd like to see more flails first
    I can get behind this - not because they are particularly special, but at least they are slightly different, and they have the engine to work with the physics now, so there is no reason not to add more. I think more variety within the weapons we have now would be a good start. Most weapons these days are boring and generic as all buggery - they tend to produce a few good weapon models each expac now, instead of each patch/tier.

Im not saying I want everything to be a giant manga style 200kg weapon, but some variety would be a good start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Seems a bit too anime, even more so than glaives. I'm not strictly against it, but it just feels out of place in the curent game.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about dual wield whipping???

We play a fantasy game, reality has no purchase here!

Sure why not. im fine with WHIPS, chakrams, murder baloons and measuring sticks. Lets do it all theres literally no reason not to.

It's going to follow the rules of wows combat system so you'll either have a whip in melee range which will just look like you are swinging empty handed or you'll have a whip out at range that would still require targeting but you'd just have this long nearly invisible string lashing out at the enemy. You aren't going to have any reticle targeting whip in wow
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Flail/morning star. Both're good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    Yeah, some more coats + flails would be nice.
    Coats, Backpacks, Wings - they really dont seem to be willing to do anything creative at all with the backslot, which is ironic, considering it is the slot that allows them the greatest freedom of design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    - Doesnt need anything special. It's like polearms, they reuse animations, but are usable on a different set of classes, and have unique models, fitting a new theme. Make it transmoggable with everything that fist weapons can be transmogged to; all one handed melee weapons.

I sincerely hope they never add an unrestricted reskin of a weapon like a flail. Rogues should definitely not use flails, even though they can use maces. Warlocks should be able to equip flails, even though they cannot use maces. There isn't a weapon type that has the proper class combination for whips: Rogues, hunters, demon hunters, warlocks, monks, and no other classes.
    Well that doesn't seem wise, given how that would result in i.e. warriors being able to rend... with a whip?
    It's easy enough to dismiss it having to make sense by handwaving about fantasy, but going that way only makes WoW more generic and clownlike, and comes with a ton of negative side-effects.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

A whip weapon wouldn't look good in WoW.

Rope and chains in 3D games is extremely difficult to do. They are very computational expensive, because you have a LOT of calculations on how each different part of the rope is moving. Hence why rope and chains are hardly ever done in games. A 3D rendered rope would be far more performance heavy than multiple WoW character models onscreen. If you go with having the rope be 2D sprite (like how rope abilities have been done before in WoW), it will look really shitty.

The other problem is that it would be hard to make rope attacks look good. WoW doesn't have a physics engine. Physics in WoW is faked: when you jump off a cliff in WoW, you're just put on a spline/preset animated trajectory. If you use a movement ability to redirect your fall, again it's not real physics, you're just being put on another forced animated spline. This is also how the Monk's roll ability works; it places an invisible object in front of you and "pulls" your character towards it. I don't think WoW is capable of real time physics required for dynamic rope.

So that would mean that all of the rope attacks would have to be premade animations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ipoststuff View Post
    Whipping isn't really effective enough.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siErCK7qcb8
    Next you're going to tell me that hunters can't actually shoot their bows or flintlocks like machineguns like in WoW. Or that warglaives aren't practical weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Well that doesn't seem wise, given how that would result in i.e. warriors being able to rend... with a whip?
    Warriors have been able to hamstring slimes since day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    It's easy enough to dismiss it having to make sense by handwaving about fantasy, but going that way only makes WoW more generic and clownlike, and comes with a ton of negative side-effects.
    You can transmog wands and warglaives into swords and vice versa. You still can't transmog them on a warrior. Whips as a weapon type should only be available to (as I said in the paragraphs you quoted) rogues, hunters, demon hunters, warlocks, monks, and no other classes. This is why flails should be their own weapon type, too; rogues shouldnt be able to equip them just because they can use maces.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    A whip weapon wouldn't look good in WoW.

Rope and chains in 3D games is extremely difficult to do. They are very computational expensive, because you have a LOT of calculations on how each different part of the rope is moving. Hence why rope and chains are hardly ever done in games. A 3D rendered rope would be far more performance heavy than multiple WoW character models onscreen. If you go with having the rope be 2D sprite (like how rope abilities have been done before in WoW), it will look really shitty.

The other problem is that it would be hard to make rope attacks look good. WoW doesn't have a physics engine. Physics in WoW is faked: when you jump off a cliff in WoW, you're just put on a spline/preset animated trajectory. If you use a movement ability to redirect your fall, again it's not real physics, you're just being put on another forced animated spline. This is also how the Monk's roll ability works; it places an invisible object in front of you and "pulls" your character towards it. I don't think WoW is capable of real time physics required for dynamic rope.

So that would mean that all of the rope attacks would have to be premade animations.

- - - Updated - - -

Next you're going to tell me that hunters can't actually shoot their bows or flintlocks like machineguns like in WoW. Or that warglaives aren't practical weapons.
    The whips wouldnt need to have physics. Just a basic attack animation for their skeleton. Like succubus whips have had since vanilla.