Thread: WHIP weapon ?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    A whip weapon wouldn't look good in WoW.

Rope and chains in 3D games is extremely difficult to do. They are very computational expensive, because you have a LOT of calculations on how each different part of the rope is moving. Hence why rope and chains are hardly ever done in games. A 3D rendered rope would be far more performance heavy than multiple WoW character models onscreen. If you go with having the rope be 2D sprite (like how rope abilities have been done before in WoW), it will look really shitty.
    Wow doesn't even have rudimentary physics in place. Corpses just hang on to whatever slope they are killed on. At best, you have a few dangling ropes etc. Like all other weapon animations, this would just be that, an animation, with 0 Physics in place.

They kinda tried it with the pally mage tower flail weapon and it moves around weirdly.

I have found a poster of class and culture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You think they could pull off whips? C’mon now.
    Maybe a void priest class that uses whip?
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I’m talking about the physics and visuals, not the lore.
    Ahh I get it. Don't we already have whip physics and visuals through the succubus?
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

Imagine the Linda or Ivy transmogs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, and they look like trash.
    If that is your reasoning, then animation/physics/graphics of WoW looks complete and utter trash! Even some cheap mobile games have better!

People in this game are weird enough now without adding whips to the picture.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    You can transmog wands and warglaives into swords and vice versa. You still can't transmog them on a warrior. Whips as a weapon type should only be available to (as I said in the paragraphs you quoted) rogues, hunters, demon hunters, warlocks, monks, and no other classes. This is why flails should be their own weapon type, too; rogues shouldnt be able to equip them just because they can use maces.

- - - Updated - - -

The whips wouldnt need to have physics. Just a basic attack animation for their skeleton. Like succubus whips have had since vanilla.
    The warrior was poorly chosen then i'll admit, but rogues having very similar skills when it comes to causing bleeds (rupture i think?), so the point still stands; it needs to be remotely beliavable that it could be used to such an end.

And i do not mean that every whip should be like that, plenty of jokes already in the game, but the standard whip should not make people go like "Wait, how does that even work?" when using basic skills.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombria View Post
    Warriors have been able to hamstring slimes since day 1.
    Weren't there a bunch of creatures immune to bleed and hamstring like effects?
    And i mean it's plenty obvious that since many of creatures lack hamstrings entirely that that wording is not meant literal - it's just the name of the move we use to strike at whatever they use to move about.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    The warrior was poorly chosen then i'll admit, but rogues having very similar skills when it comes to causing bleeds (rupture i think?), so the point still stands; it needs to be remotely beliavable that it could be used to such an end.

And i do not mean that every whip should be like that, plenty of jokes already in the game, but the standard whip should not make people go like "Wait, how does that even work?" when using basic skills.

- - - Updated - - -

Weren't there a bunch of creatures immune to bleed and hamstring like effects?
    And i mean it's plenty obvious that since many of creatures lack hamstrings entirely that that wording is not meant literal - it's just the name of the move we use to strike at whatever they use to move about.
    A whip will make you bleed much easier than a mace, which rogues can equip and then transmog into a fish or a mug...

But really, there would be a lot of whip models if they added them to the game. And I'd expect the raid ones to have like blades at the tip, and maybe some that look like chains, or a green firey one for warlocks.... Lots of ways to make them look painful and cool.
    Last edited by Amnaught; 2021-05-18 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    A whip will make you bleed much easier than a mace, which rogues can equip and then transmog into a fish or a mug...

But really, there would be a lot of whip models if they added them to the game. And I'd expect the raid ones to have like blades at the tip, and maybe some that look like chains, or a green firey one for warlocks.... Lots of ways to make them look painful and cool.
    Eh, fair enough i suppose, though i gotta say you're underestimating maces there.
    I've been on the receiving end of both, and burst skin bleeds like a bitch, yet is easier to inflict with a mace than a whip.

(also maces tend to be spiky, though thnkfully not all)
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    It took them 13 years to finally add a morning star... give it another 13 and we'll get whips too lol :P

7+ Year Old Account

ipoststuff
    Whipping isn't really effective enough.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siErCK7qcb8
    Perhaps purely mechanically, it is, but if such weapon is used as magical source, then it could be effective... apparently that's why I wanted to mentioned it in my swashbuckler/bard hybrid variation. I don’t know what to compare with, good example is succubus of course, but this is still basic small damage and in fact probably more suitable as stylistic/CC element.

I heard that one of newer classes in BDO uses something similar... I'll check discussion history. Yes, class called Nova, judging by video it's something like shadow shaman or priest with shield+flail/sting (still also lot of frost abilities). Just see how she uses her base "mace" - it "stretches" and casts all sorts of dark projections/bombs:

So, kind of placeable I think.

The only caveat is that I hate modern approach of "limiting" abilities/specs to weapons, in no case, there are certain inappropriate weapons for specific classes, ultra original abilities, but in general, it should be available to everyone... perhaps based on prevailing main/additional stats - not effective, but affordable (ex. increases range or/and hust, but drastically decreases damage rate of base melee abilities/attacks with no special requirements, or! could have place on 3rd slot being partially used as sling weapon?), since weapon itself is not unique enough to have real limitations.
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2021-05-21 at 11:10 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

Quote Originally Posted by ipoststuff View Post
    Whipping isn't really effective enough.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siErCK7qcb8
    Few of the weapons in WoW would actually be effective.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately, I don't think adding a whip is really realistic in WoW.

Mostly because whips make people emotional for several political reasons.

That said, totally a hunter weapon. For their tank spec that doesn't exist. (And definitely would raise a few eyebrows at Square-Enix if it did.)