Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What is the furthest you can get using Blizzards default interface?

How far in difficulty / content do you think you can make it without any addons at all?
    Only the default interface Blizzard provides.

Bonus: If you played next raid tier with no addons and no prior knowledge of raid encounters.

you can do a lot of things with the default UI. you just won't be playing optimally, making things much harder than they have to be.
    all "pro UIs" do is make the game easier for the player.

You can just plant your face in the ground while the people you hired kill the dragon and give you the loot.

Untill lvl10...
    Its not like I can't play on default, its that I am just used to my UI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yuze View Post
    How far in difficulty / content do you think you can make it without any addons at all?

Bonus: If you played next raid tier with no addons and no prior knowledge of raid encounters.
    I used to do mythic raids with no addons (mostly cause I was too lazy to update sometimes). But then again I come from a time in wow when we didn't have addons and we still raided Im not sure people these days have the skill to do so.

You could still clear mythic raids, it would just be a major pain in the ass.

World-first raiders for example would simply have their 21st person run some sort of external tool with timers, and call them out as needed. Or things of that sort.

It wouldn't change things substantially, it would just piss people off.

Think of it like this: what if you took away internet reservations/ticket sales/whatever from people - they'd just use phones, hang out in queues forever, and yell at the system or call center operator. It wouldn't change the underlying action (buying a ticket etc.) it would just make getting there more annoying and inconvenient.

Trill from Limit plays with default UI, zero WA's. WF raider and a blizzcon champion.

The default ui provides the most important things and you can memorize/learn the fights without timers, you can probably do every content without addons.

It's just not that easy to read and comfortable, i can still perform well in a raid while tired after a long work day thanks to my custom ui being easily readable and audio cues helping with oncoming mechanics/important cd's.
    I'd make a lot more mistakes with the default ui.

The more you've memorized the content the more viable it is to PuG your way through M+ and raiding and really anything else without any addons.

Addons can make things easier, so they're like training wheels. Once you're comfortable without them, you'll know and at that point you don't really need them. But you may be yelled at for not having them, if your play is noticable without them.

7+ Year Old Account

heroic raiding, i know cause my friend uses the default UI, his only addons being ones for making gold, leveling, and then DBM...

I would say if you do not count DBM, heroic, if you do count DBM, normal.

for example here is our classic UI's compared
    Mine

his
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    I would argue you can do just fine. Keybinds are more important than how the UI looks imo. That said I know people who would argue against that. I have only really done DPS with some tanking back in the BC-MoP era so I can't speak to how it is now but I was often able to use the default UI if my addons broke or I was on a different computer from my main system.

Addons are great but I still stand by a good player is a good player regardless.

I have a few CEs and have never radically changed the game's UI. I do use addons DBM, WeakAuras, Tidy Plates, Details and a couple others like a scrolling combat text of course, but every time I've tried to mod the rest I've not felt comfortable with the result. I think some World Forst raiders also use the base game's UI. I find it very functional and unobtrusive myself, albeit I do move the target portraits closer to the action bars as well which requires no addon.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

In WoW? I'm honestly not sure. I've never done it, and am now so used to playing it with certain add-ons that I'm not sure how I'd fare. I'm sure I'd be fine, but the learning curve would be rough.

With that said though, I play FFXIV and SW:ToR, neither of which do I play with add-ons of any kind and do just fine in all kinds of content, playing all roles. Healing is the most annoying, but it's doable, just a lot more stressful IMO. More button clicks to get a heal off to the right person means you have to have a lot more situational awareness and anticipate things on your own to keep everyone alive, whereas in WoW add-ons like DBM, GTFO and Healbot (I know, it's old school and there are better ones but it's the first one I tried and learned on and it's comfortable for me) just make things so much smoother and make it so you don't have to be so acutely aware of everything because the add-ons give you warnings, and make it so you can get a heal of to the right person with a single click without having to change targets.

The base Blizzard UI is perfectly functional. The add-ons just streamline so much gameplay that it makes it hard to go back once you use them.

when I was first playing the game and didn't know how to install addons, so pretty much all of TBC and well into wrath, lol uh....

Quote Originally Posted by dafuq View Post
    Trill from Limit plays with default UI, zero WA's. WF raider and a blizzcon champion.
    Well that false, but pretty close. I just openned his stream, he use all the "mandatory" raiding addons, including WA, but yes he has an almost default UI.

For OP, you can do almost anything without addon. That a bad idea, you are not gonna be optimal and that just gonna handicap yourself and your group, but its technically possible. Like Thelxi said, almost all boss in the game can be killed with one or two dead boosted people so yeah, playing without addon will still be better than that... But I don't see why you would want to do that. You can keep the default ui (health bar, nameplate and action bar addon aren't that important) if you like it, but not using any addon is just shooting yourself in the foot.

I think that's fucked that you can't expect to do good enough without installing a dozen of different add-ons. Blizzard should do something about that. Even though I prefer to play all games as vanilla as possible I have 15 add-ons installed, half of which for the PvP. Without them I'd be at a serious disadvantage. Some of them are purely for the cosmetic purposes 'cause WoW's UI is unwieldy even though it's rather pretty looking. Don't get me wrong though, all those custom UIs people always post (like this one for example
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post

his
    are fucking fugly as fuck, I'd rather suffer classic UI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't the people who play in the arena championships play with default UI..?

As for PvE, you can probably do heroic and early mythics without too much issue, and depending on if you're dps/healer/tank you can probably also do late mythics if you wanted to. But the question is, why would you want to when you can just.. not?

You can get CE for sure.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    I used to do mythic raids with no addons (mostly cause I was too lazy to update sometimes). But then again I come from a time in wow when we didn't have addons and we still raided Im not sure people these days have the skill to do so.
    Id love to see those logs and how "skilled" you were.

There is a wow streamer currently playing WoW Classic Hardcore with no UI at all, he's like level 56 or something.