Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Anyone misses WoW Legion?

This was the first, for a very long time, that I have started reminiscing about a WoW Expansion.

Me and couple of team mates of mine were talking about this yesterday, got called boomers by a guy who started mid SL and then took him to NH/ToS raids.

I mean sheer fact that The Maw is what is supposed to be equivalent of Nightfallen campaign as max level end-game zone... Not even talking about how gorgeous Suramar City was.
    Legendary acquisition was bad, that is a fact, but there was so much other stuff to do - I did not care.
    By this time in Legion we had 3 boss raid released, super mega-dungeon released with "secret" mount and Nighthold released too, which is one of the best raids imo.
    I mean, I get it, SL is was late. But Nighhold raid was featured in Legion promotional material 4 months before Legion released and it had more to show about 7.1, than we were shown about 9.1 3 months AFTER SL release.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do, but mainly the start of Legion.

a bit, mostly due to mage tower and artifact weapons though... Never enjoyed Suramar and don't get the hype of it.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Best expansion ever! I enjoyed all of it consistently.

Legion was great, it was just "more" of everything. Always something to do, with options so didn't get bored.
    Even outside of dungeons and raids one could improve oneself with the artifact power. I could spend a day playing solo and I'd get an upgrade level for my weapon.
    If I play a whole day solo in SL I'll get... zip, nada. Only upgrades is in m+ and raids...

So yeah, now in SL I only log for M+ nights, raids are cancelled until 9.1 as people are bored of it and the stupid story.

legion yea, and i can't believe im saying this but BFA as well. for me personally SL has been total ass

The swan song of wow
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

10+ Year Old Account
    Only the middle and end, the beginning of Legion was a bit messy, otherwise it's one of my favourite expansions to this day. :P

I actually miss wow before Legion and all the stupid systems it introduced like artifacts.

Not particularly. Constant farming for the best Legiondaries were a massive pain.

I do miss when most of the systems were completely new though. M+ as a concept is completely dead to me right now, but I was kinda into it at the very beginning of Legion before I knew everything about it.
    I do definitely miss being in an expansion where I cared about the plot though, even if that means I am just as nostalgic for BfA (at least until 8.2.5).

Might be hard to say now that I think about it. On one hand every system was new and fresh, but that also meant the really, really shit ones like Legiondaries and emissaries.
    I also am probably doing the usual mistake of thinking about an expansion as an aggregate of either the worst or best parts instead of a continuing stream of both. World design was amazing in 7.3, but we had to get through the quest design of 7.2 to get there. So probably a wash overall.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

I do. Great expension, the best since... MoP. Both BfA and Shadowlands wanted to copy Legion, but failed massively in doing so. I really miss Legion.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by guldin View Post
    This was the first, for a very long time, that I have started reminiscing about a WoW Expansion.
    Legion was terrible, i remember the preasure from guildies and the berratings when i got the ”Wrong” legendary while the other of the same class in the guild got the better one.

So barely any good legion memories for me, just stress & anxiety.

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Looking back Legion probably did world design the absolute best. Argus is still one of the most stunning zones in the game.

I will stand by that it is probably unfair to compare an expansion we are in the beginning of (and a drought at that) to an expansion that is several years old by now. It's very difficult to compare when you are likely not remembering everything about Legion whereas you know everything you dislike (or love) about SL.
    It's easy to forget fruitlessly farming M+ with the awful first iteration of that system for Legiondaries you need to be viable when you are currently annoyed that pugs don't know how to fight Denathrius properly.
    Things are almost always going to change, so a system you hate might end up being a favorite by the end then fondly remembered a few years down the line, whereas something you like might end up being a tiny insignificant portion when you look back.

Nope.

- Emerald Nightmare has to be among the worst raids ever released. The fact it was cleared in like 10 hours further emphasises that fact. ToC was terrible but it still took a lot longer to clear its highest difficulty. Nighthold was pretty, Tomb and Antorus were okay but nothing spectacular.

- Legendaries gated behind extreme amounts of RNG, while also oftentime making or breaking a spec, is a very horrid design choice.

- The progenitor of these terrible AP grinds everyone's come to hate.

- Due to the former two things, was also the expansion where alting started to become a real chore if you wanted to play more than 1 char regularly. Let alone if you wanted to play 3-4.

- Continued the trend that WoD (and MoP to an extent) set, where Professions are an afterthought after the first like 2-3 weeks of the expansion. And only a few remain relevant longer than that (which is a stretch).

- World quests are okay as a system, but emissaries and the forced nature of having to do them is not. It just made daily quests worse than they previously were. Reputations are all but useless as well, although that part didn't start with Legion (it was made even more apparent, though).

All in all... No, I do not miss Legion. Shadowlands hasn't exactly made any of these things 'better' but it's not really made them any worse, either. If I had to choose between two expansions, I'd still probably stick with Shadowlands just because I don't buy into nostalgia. (IN MY OPINION) the only thing Legion did well, was setting the groundwork for Mythic+ ... Just a shame Shadowlands lowered its item level a lot.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Aside from 7.2, Legion was great.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    Legion was terrible, i remember the preasure from guildies and the berratings when i got the ”Wrong” legendary while the other of the same class in the guild got the better one.

The Legiondaries were definitely the biggest black mark against Legion that players seem to forget. I got extremely lucky and got two Legiondaries in the same day a week into raiding that ended up being BiS (or at least after the first needed round of balancing). But I still remember the horror stories of guilds recruiting players with the right Legiondaries over players with experience since the difference in DPS was night and day.
    And while I might have gotten lucky on my hunter main I still vividly remember trying for a specific Mage legiondary I wanted the entire expansion, eventually just giving up on trying a new alt.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post

It's the unfortunate "Maw of Souls" syndrome. Most players remember this dungeon fondly, great visuals, short, not the most annoying trash, amazing bosses (especially Helya). But many people who were forced by their guilds to grind AP/Legends via endlessly spamming Maw keys... Yeah, can't blame for hating it. It's the same with all the other Legion content.

I had a blast in Legion, but was playing casually, highest key was like 10, cleared most raids on HC at best, never touching Mythic. Couldn't have been as fun for people playing top-end, where to maximize your potential you had to grind the living shit out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    - Emerald Nightmare has to be among the worst raids ever released. The fact it was cleared in like 10 hours further emphasises that fact. ToC was terrible but it still took a lot longer to clear its highest difficulty. Nighthold was pretty, Tomb and Antorus were okay but nothing spectacular.
    Never understood the EN hatred to be honest. So what if it was slightly easier than other raids. It wasn't Wotlk Naxx faceroll difficulty, it was barely cleared in the first reset anyway. And with so many raid releases and new content in Legion it didn't get old too fast, soon there was Trial and Nighthold to progress. EN had a ton of fun bosses with 1 sort of dissappointing one (Xav).
    Last edited by Okacz; 2021-05-10 at 10:27 AM.

Not at all. Same shit as WoD.

Legion class halls and artifact skins and quests were really fun. It's the only time in WoW I actually enjoyed fishing. Having that OP ultra fast swim speed with the fishing rod was worth it.
    Corrupted Ashbringer was one of the best quest lines for me. A trip through past theories about Ashbringer and going all across Azeroth.

It also had the start of very obvious timegates, world quests, facebook game v2, artifact rng, AP grind and removed a lot of class complexities.

The good stuff in it was one of the best, the bad stuff was truly awful.