10+ Year Old Account

Was this legit ? (questionable email)

I got this email a few days ago, clicking 'Shop Now' takes you to https://click.playstationemail.com
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

"have your credit card details ready"

Sounds very shady. I doubt Sony would advertise the PS5 this way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    "have your credit card details ready"

Sounds very shady. I doubt Sony would advertise the PS5 this way.
    Yep, that was a red flag for me as well.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    I got this email a few days ago, clicking 'Shop Now' takes you to https://click.playstationemail.com
    Well I got an error message trying to access that sight.

Rule of thumb: if an email gives you a link to something, and you intend to input info, don't click the link. Instead, open up your web browser and use Google to go to the official website.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Well I got an error message trying to access that sight.

Rule of thumb: if an email gives you a link to something, and you intend to input info, don't click the link. Instead, open up your web browser and use Google to go to the official website.
    I'm aware, but I also asked so lesser experienced people can read about it. The unedited url contains the supposed unique link that only I got and then it leads to this screen. I slightly modified the URL just in case it contains something unique to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.reddit.com/r/playstation...uy_a_ps5_from/

interesting... if Sony is taking this route, it is really not well thought out in terms of consumer safety.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Did you sign up to be notified for restocks?
    Was it from an actual Sony email?

The image you linked for the second one looks like the actual Sony network so pretty good chance it was legit.

Id click it.....enter a bogus name and password....if it lets you in, its fake.

10+ Year Old Account
    You didn't post the email or anything but Sony does tell you to be ready with your login stuff if you buy from their direct store. They use unique URLs too. All this makes their stuff pretty easy to spoof. One flaw in the best way to get a PS5. A fix would be for them to give you a code and allow you to enter it on the store's site.

When I got my PS5 I went to the direct website first and logged in, then entered the queue (a few hours before).

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post
    Id click it.....enter a bogus name and password....if it lets you in, its fake.
    That's a great tip actually!
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    That's a great tip actually!
    No no and no! NEVER click anything inside a shady email. Phishing emails don't always just hope for you to give your information but the link / site itself can be and most likely is malicious. When you click the link and run their scripts in your browser you never know what can happen.

So don't click anything in email and especially don't touch anything on their site.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    No no and no! NEVER click anything inside a shady email. Phishing emails don't always just hope for you to give your information but the link / site itself can be and most likely is malicious. When you click the link and run their scripts in your browser you never know what can happen.

So don't click anything in email and especially don't touch anything on their site.
    Hmm okay not even if you have some sort of protection as in using firefox and having a decent anti virus? Believe Firefox blocks scripts by default
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm okay not even if you have some sort of protection as in using firefox and having a decent anti virus? Believe Firefox blocks scripts by default
    FireFox doesn't but there is an addon for that called NoScript though most people likely don't use it because it makes browsing somewhat more inconvenient because you have to allow every site to run scripts separately.

Antivirus helps some but there is always this cat and mouse game going on between the hackers and antivirus so I wouldn't risk it.

while the site scans clean on multiple sites, the domain "who is" is odd namely that what is there is listed as individual registrant nor does it match playstation.com data. It seems sony did send out such emails but went to a different website. It would not be hard for an attack to use the same email and change the link to scam people. I would rule this a scam if someone reported it to me at work. If you want to make 100% contact sony and report it there. They should know if the link is there's or not, might have to wait awhile depending on how busy they are, or how well informed their tier 1 support is.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah that might work for 90% of the stuff but that last 10% is bad juju, also a lot of phishing is information/cred scrapping getting people to enter information.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    FireFox doesn't but there is an addon for that called NoScript though most people likely don't use it because it makes browsing somewhat more inconvenient because you have to allow every site to run scripts separately.

Antivirus helps some but there is always this cat and mouse game going on between the hackers and antivirus so I wouldn't risk it.
    Hmm okay well i generally run things as ghostery, not that i ever had the habit of just clicking on everything. Can't remember the last time i had an actual virus on my system.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

That's easy: Just open a browser in a virtual machine. If there is something bogus, then it does not affect the pc.

10+ Year Old Account
    "playstationemail" is an incredibly sketchy url, Sony has a domain they use under email.playstation.com for real promotions.