Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    "he may yet be redeemed"

SYLVANAS GETS A REDEMPTION! ARTHAS GETS A REDEMPTION! EVERYBODY IS GETTING REDEMPTIONS!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Might aswell save it for after the arbiter being restored and Arthas just being strait judged into the Maw.
    In b4 the maw wasn’t meant to have any structure and placing the jailer there is why it’s so bad

Sargeras redemption ark when?

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmoo View Post
    Sargeras redemption ark when?
    We kinda got that already when they tried to justify in the Chronicles why he was the way he was.

This has already been set in stone during the first Uther cinematic and should not surprise anyone. Like it or not, Arthas was robbed of any chance for redemption as he was tossed directly into the Maw. I’m not a fan of an Arthas redemption story but that’s what the SL is about, finding your place in the afterlife. So technically, if any baddie has a chance of redemption, all baddies should have a chance, including Arthas. The problem with the story is that now blizzard seems to be using the defense, “The devil made me do it” for Sylvanas and possibly Arthas and that’s just sad writing. Some stories should be left alone but I’m afraid the Arthas/lich king classic tale is about to be used as the, “In case of emergency, break glass” scenario, similar to bringing back Illidan in Legion.
    Im afraid it’s too late in the game/design to change any other possible outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    None of that excuses the level of written in recent years.

Gameplay should trump story. A great game to play with a worthless story still gets played because the game is fun. A brilliant story with the worst possible mechanics gets ignored because people are not having fun.

In no way does WoW 'require' an Arthas redemption arc is function. Nor does the writing need to be 'episodic' across expansions to function. If you didn't experience Vanilla or WotlK then BfA's focus on Saurfang made no sense.
    Sylvanas's story has been building for how many expansions now?

And yet Blizzard actively ignores their new characters to keep digging up the corpses of the past.

Why was Yrell ignored after WoD? She was a popular new Alliance character that could have continued to be used going forward but she is not from the Wc 2-3 era so fuck her.

The broad outlines of SL's story are fine, its the way they filled out those stories that is garbage.
    They have no faith in their ability to write new stuff so they keep pulling on nostalgia strings because they have nothing else.
    I'll never die on a hill defending Blizzard's writing, but I think you're being unfair. Shadowlands is catered as a final callback to the past. It's the perfect and perhaps only time it makes sense to re-visit Arthas, however deep they go down that rabbit hole.

Meanwhile, while Blizzard's writing continues to be uninspiring and episodic (I disagree and feel, or at least Blizzard certainly thinks this) that WoW needs to be episodic. Hero character saves the day, rinse and repeat next expansion. New gear, new raids, new bad guy. The only time there was any sort of continuance was from Legion presence in WoD leading straight into Legion, and that was actually pretty cool, but the new WoW has created and established new characters original from the RTS games, even if they ended up ruining them. Garrosh is perhaps one of the most interesting characters ever created in the IP. He had a more compelling arc than even many RTS era characters. Lei-Shen was very cool, even if they just rushed him. Priscilla Ashvane was a very interesting second-tier villain. WoW's writing team has been creative, but again, they're shackled by the fact they cannot write and plan out a whole story without answering to the game designer and the fact that the nameless hero character is the one to save the world at every turn.

"It was not my choice to make. Devos led me down a dark path."

Except she literally didn't. Uther was the one who kept moaning about his soul wound and complaining that Arthas was still alive killing people.
    He is the one who led HER down a dark path. All she did was help him.

Wait a sec, shouldn't Turalyon be blond?

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    "It was not my choice to make. Devos led me down a dark path."

Except she literally didn't. Uther was the one who kept moaning about his soul wound and complaining that Arthas was still alive killing people.
    He is the one who led HER down a dark path. All she did was help him.
    I agree.
    Devos LITERALLY did NOTHING wrong. She warned everyone about Jailers agent roaming freely in realm of living. And they all laughed at her.

And now Uther is even BLAMING HER for what HE HAS DONE!

Blizzturds writing is...... BEYOND BAD...

Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    I agree.
    Devos LITERALLY did NOTHING wrong. She warned everyone about Jailers agent roaming freely in realm of living. And they all laughed at her.

And now Uther is even BLAMING HER for what HE HAS DONE!

Blizzturds writing is...... BEYOND BAD...
    She did plenty wrong, you know the part where after being ignored she became an agent of the jailer herself - the ultimate retard move.
    You are right though, the writing was beyond bad.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    She did plenty wrong, you know the part where after being ignored she became an agent of the jailer herself - the ultimate retard move.
    I think Lysona was the Jailer tie.
    If I recall correctly, Devo's just wanted to change the Kyrian's ways but was not personally involved or aware of the Jailer's growing influence on her ranks. It was only after Devos was defeated and Lysona took over, that she had the Forsworn officially ally with the Jailer and use the anima from Uther's spirit turn Mawsworn herself.
    Last edited by Nynax; 2021-05-24 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    I think Lysona was the Jailer tie.
    If I recall correctly, Devo's just wanted to change the Kyrian's ways but was personally involved or aware of the Jailer's growing influence on her ranks. It was only after Devos was defeated and Lysona took over, that she had the Forsworn officially ally with the Jailer and use the anima from Uther's spirit turn Mawsworn herself.
    I think it was mentioned in the main levelling campaign Bastion quest line where you try and find out who is behind the renegade Kyrian but I can't remember who it was, tho I'm pretty sure one of the two didn't know it was the Jailer who was behind it all.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    In pre-launch cinematic, we saw her literally fighting against "The power of the maw it self!"

In game she became agent of Jailer. wait wut?

Writing is... beyond blizzard level of bad.

Imagine if we fix the Shadowlands, give Arthas his due day in Arbiter Court and the Arbiter sniffs him 1 second and goes

" Throw him in the Maw "

lmao

Wait... WoW has a story?

Super Squirt Day (EU)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    What glass are we going to break next? Anduin Lothar? There isn't much left to recycle and bastardize.
    This is why I feel they must do a significant time jump. New lore, new goals, new people.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    This is why I feel they must do a significant time jump. New lore, new goals, new people.
    Add new writers to that list and I'm on board.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    Wait... WoW has a story?
    No. Just American anime-like monologue and weird looking power rangers kamehamehaing eachother.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Add new writers to that list and I'm on board.
    dANUSer needs to resign asap. Literally anyone could replace him and do a significantly better job.

I'm so tired of this self circlejerking he's been doing, acting like he's pulling off some master class storyarch. Like listen you fuckass, 90% of your writing is in interviews for fuck's sake.

Today I learned that Arthas is a sweet, sweet angel boy with no autonomy. The devil helmet & armor made him do it. Cool.