Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    What are these classic projects that need development?

They're releasing already developed content.

I think retail WoW is suffering because Shadowlands systems wise is the most soulless and least engaging, rewarding skinnerbox expansion ever invented.
    Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about sl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Retail is suffering as much as I myself am suffering from reading threads like this on MMO-C all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Souflikar View Post
    Well let’s be honest, if it wasn’t for classic and TBCC, Wow would have a lot less subs now. So perhaps the two classic expansions are helping to save the Wow universe(including retail) and jobs, for that matter.
    For sure, why do you think they pulled out the TBC launch so fast... subs probably were in a free fall. They had to release something to do something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Here is your problem...your feel.
    This guy Jedis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Blizzard was incredibly close to releasing a Starcraft MMO. Blizz divided the dev team into 3 groups, each of them worked on a new game concept. They were set to make 1 of the 3. I forget what dev team 1 proposed. Dev team 2 proposed a Starcraft MMO, and the entire team was massively hyped for it and were ready to go. But they stuck with the original plan and took at look at team 3s proposal and that was Overwatch. There was a lot of internal debate and at the last second they switched over to Overwatch.

The Starcraft MMO would have been announced in 2014 during WoD. It would have probably been released in 2016 the same time as Legion. We currently would likely be on the 2nd or 3rd SC MMO xpac by now.

If you think WoW is suffering because of classic, imagine retail competing with a Starcraft MMO.

They liked the concept of a Starcraft MMO so much that I wouldn't dismiss the idea of Blizzard going back and doing a Starcraft MMO at some point down the road. I mean, they *need* to update the graphics engine for their MMO offering pretty badly.
    How do you know all this? Never heard of StarCraft mmo plans, leave alone dates and the fact that buzz "like the idea so much". Where is all that info coming from?

No, it's suffering because it's shit.

"Why not grind WQs for a few months for a slightly different coloured outfit" is not engaging content. Not even for people who like world quests...

Blizzard games a generally suffering from short-term profit optimization since a while.

They squeez as much money out of everything as possible without investing.

It did kill games like diablo, hots and overwatch already. If they had invested more, developed more for each of these games (perhaps not diablo3, but for sure hots and overwatch) they could still earn a lot of money with them.

I think WoW will also slowly die out. Not like 'shut down the servers' die, but just look how many bugs we had at legion launch.
    How much more bugs we had when BfA launched.
    SL was a horror when it started. Talents didn't work, people got stuck here and there.
    Look how long we have to wait for 9.1.

Good PvE is only possible on few servers anymore and at some point you will only have one good PvE Server on each region.

And it will get worse and slow down more and more. WoW 10.0 will have even more bugs when it launches.

I still play WoW once in a while, but right now I'm only paying 3 months a year and can get the full content. I think more and more people are thinking like this and this will empty the servers even more.

7+ Year Old Account
    Also it was Bobby Kotick that killed the Starcraft MMO in favor of Overwatch. Kotick took one look at the Overwatch lineup of heroes, pretty much saw a massive potential payday from marketing those heroes as action figures, and told them to scrap the SC MMO and make Overwatch instead.

Oops...

Kotick should NOT have been in charge of such decisions. That move alone may ultimately have doomed the entire company.
    what? i dont think you understand at all what happened, cause that is not at all what happened...
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

10+ Year Old Account
    Retail wow is suffering because of dev incompetence, nothing more nothing less.

Not covid, not Activision nor working from home.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Blizzard has some interesting history. It has a strange link to Napoleon!

On December 14th, 1853, Napoleon III, ruler of France, issued an imperial decree creating a public water company, the Compagnie Générale des Eaux. It supplied water to Paris and Lyon. It did this for over 100 years until in 1980, it began to diversify. They got into waste management, construction, property, etc. In 1998, GCE renamed itself to Vivendi and diversified into entertainment. Also in 1998, they bought a gaming company named Blizzard Entertainment.

Vivendi spun off most of its other diversifications under a new name - Veolia. If you ever look closely at your local garbage truck, you might see Veolia written on the side with a logo. That's because Veolia went global as a spin-off from Vivendi.

So your local garbage truck, emperor Napoleon III, and World of Warcraft are all linked in history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard

https://gamerant.com/activision-bliz...dence-vivendi/
    Man, thanks for this one. I gotta say, hands up for delivering this

Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    I doubt it'll have an effect on resources, but what might be affected is the playerbase / activity of the playerbase.
    I'd wager this is pretty accurate. Players who would play retail, is instead playing classic versions. Sure, it certainly brought old players in that hasn't played since like WotLK, but from an anecdotal view this seems to be a case.

To add to the discussion, I see people have complained about devs for years, then when they quit its all doom and gloom. What if they are the reason why the game has stagnated? A recent example, I have read and watched complaints about Jeff Kaplan for his Overwatch, all the way up to when he quit. Then it suddenly were something wrong with the company.

WHAT IF; it's the oldies that is the reason why they haven't brought something new IP into the company for 5 years, and a WoW game design that always has like 5-6 years until they change it up a bit. Maybe new people is a good thing. I certainly think it is.
    Last edited by Doffen; 2021-05-23 at 04:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Classic and retail compliments each other quite well, actually.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    I dont think retail is losing content over it, but I bet its a sweet safenet for Blizzard. Months delayed with xpac/patch? cool, just release something for classic/BC. Blizzard operates on quartely profit and the goal is always more profit than previously. So its in theyre own best interest not to make to good content and release it at the same time.

Right now its perfect for them with pre patch & BC release. Buys them time to finish 9.1.

That said - I believe the content delivered on retail would be the same with our without classic/BC.

- - - Updated - - -

While I agree with you, the numbers show that they are raking in alot of money on the turd(s) they release. So in a way, it tells them they dont need to provide to-notch over the moon xpacs. Atleast not for several years.

For the coming years they have retail+bc+WotLK stuff. No reason for them to deliver high quality content on retail.
    Such a moronic post I'm not sure if it's actually serious or not. At least I assume the complete lack of logical reasoning is some sort of satire? Talking about the second part of your post, btw.
    Hi

Nah I don't think so. They are two separate teams. Retail WoW is going to suffer because of retail WoW, not classic. Hopefully after this dry spell we will not have a hiccup in the development/release of content for the rest of the xpack.

Retail is suffering due to content drought at start of expansion. Supposedly that's not due to Classic since it's separate teams.

Quite obviously, however, Blizzard are staggering their releases since TBC is expected to bring subscribers, therefore retail content is intentionally coming later to bring subscribers again after the TBC launch wears out.

Considering the amount of content 9.1 is bringing there is no way it's taking 6+ months to create, home office or not. They've done similar releases in half the time. So it's not like 300 people are sitting doing nothing to delay the content release. What must be happening is that the team working on 9.1 is quite small due to Blizzard not hurrying to release. Whereas the majority are working on the next expansion and further SL projects.

Quote Originally Posted by GUZ View Post
    First off I’m not a classic hater and I think its cool but I like retail and am paying for a subscription for it and the dlcs so my question is. Does anyone one else feel like because of all the classic hype we are losing content and a-lot of blizzards resources are going to classic projects?
    Classic has a different team working on it and is not drawing resources from retail.
    Classic also brings in enough money from it's playerbase to sustain itself and bring in a huge profit, otherwise it wouldn't exist. Companies don't keep products because they're cool, they do because they bring money.
    Classic and retail playerbases are mostly exclusive with very few playing both versions.

10+ Year Old Account
    i like where you went there made me lul

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Classic was created because of Retail sufferings.
    i like where you went there made me lul

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    This guy Jedis.
    sorry it was supposed to be a question to discuss maybe i should have worded it differently English is my first language naturally i failed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Inukashi View Post
    Blizzard games a generally suffering from short-term profit optimization since a while.

They squeez as much money out of everything as possible without investing.

It did kill games like diablo, hots and overwatch already. If they had invested more, developed more for each of these games (perhaps not diablo3, but for sure hots and overwatch) they could still earn a lot of money with them.

I think WoW will also slowly die out. Not like 'shut down the servers' die, but just look how many bugs we had at legion launch.
    How much more bugs we had when BfA launched.
    SL was a horror when it started. Talents didn't work, people got stuck here and there.
    Look how long we have to wait for 9.1.

Good PvE is only possible on few servers anymore and at some point you will only have one good PvE Server on each region.

And it will get worse and slow down more and more. WoW 10.0 will have even more bugs when it launches.

I still play WoW once in a while, but right now I'm only paying 3 months a year and can get the full content. I think more and more people are thinking like this and this will empty the servers even more.
    you know i often think about that with diablo 3. they really could have put out more dlcs/content/classes and kept it going i really like it alot..honestly i havent been hype for wow in a while i thought SL was going to be really good but it was kinda just meh after u finish the covenant campaign. my hype has shifted to Diablo 4 lets hope that will be great success
    "Voted Most Likely To Be Banned From The Forum."

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Not really. Reimplementing classic is a completely different task than creating content for retail. For classic you mainly need technicians that can port the old data onto the new game structure. Retail needs content creators, designers and other devs.
    I don't think classic is syphoning any ressources.
    And classic is using the modern client, so at some point, there is bound to be a crossover where retail team needs to help classic team. Taking away resources that could have been put to better use. Retail simply CANT take resources away from classic even if they're a separate team (which i doubt btw). So its a pretty one way street too.

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    And classic is using the modern client, so at some point, there is bound to be a crossover where retail team needs to help classic team. Taking away resources that could have been put to better use. Retail simply CANT take resources away from classic even if they're a separate team (which i doubt btw). So its a pretty one way street too.
    As I said, classic uses programmers. Retail uses designers. Only when implementing new systems like Torghast retail crosses Classic.

They're two separate games, if anything blizz is more inclined to push retail an opposing direction to classic in terms of gameplay mechanics, purely for playerbase analytics. Blizz isn't a "profit this year so we can splurge our employees with our one hit wonder mobile game" company. Whether you liek it or not, their intentions with development in any of their games is at least a decade into the future. Learning from their consumer base in as efficient and forward thinking manner as possible is definitely higher priority than catering to their current playerbase.

The markets changing, people are changing, what people want and can commit to video games, more specifically mmorpgs is and has changed drastically in the past 2 decades, and blizz as far as im concerned has the greatest accumulation of data to make sure they can develop on top over the next 2 as well. Yeah people will suffer, do you really think blizz isn't milking the opportunity to say "covid is hurting our dev time" you'll never get a straight answer but they know they'll never have a chance to extend patch cycles without player backlash *tinfoil hat* so why wouldnt they delay content now if the downsides were negligible (relative to other periods of time) 3 months to get ahead is an incredible amount of time for a game like wow which sees content updates as large is it does on a 2-3x per year basis, again whether or not that's what blizz is doing i wouldnt expect a straight answer, but given that expac teams usually are working on them loooong before the whole team transitions i wpuldnt be surprised if all this extra wow downtime (so long as it doesn't amount to a lol wod 2 tiers) amounts to an amazing followup expansion loaded with great systems and balancing

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    No, it's suffering because it's shit.

"Why not grind WQs for a few months for a slightly different coloured outfit" is not engaging content. Not even for people who like world quests...
    If those lame recoloured sets took ~2 months of casual play (i.e. not cleaning the map of anima WQs every single day + raid/dungeon anima drops) they would be far more enticing to chase. The way they are set though... !@#$ them.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    i think that we have one right now.

People who had to kill Mythic Sire already did, people who wanted to get gladiator already did, people who wanted to have fully upgraded covenant sanctum already did etc.
    Castle Nathria is only 6 months old. SoO was 1 year and 2 months old. If we had to put a definition on what's a drought, I'd say 9 or 10 months without new content, that was how long we had to live with Dragon Soul.

ICC was so long that by the end we were pugging all the way up to Heroic Sindragosa, and the GDKP metagame took over, we are not even a little bit close to that level of ridiculousness.