Thread: [FILM] Eternals

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    If i'm not mistaken this is one ofthe 2 new marvel's films thats banned in China? means it will 100% make a loss
    rly?whats gotten winnie the pooh's panties in a twist this time?i swear the guy is asian trump lol

10+ Year Old Account

Love RDCworld's MCU stuff.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I thought Thanos had the deviant gene too.
    could be yeah. Like i said i doing this from the back of my head. Would explain his looks.

Ohhh and forgot to mention: kit's role is that of the black knight. A guy with a sword that corrupts you over time. ( think there is somekind monster or something in the sword)

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Some nonsense to do with the director not being deferential enough or some such. Her most recent film was pulled last minute and people are expecting the same with Eternals.

Shang Chi is due to racism concerns I believe.
    The director Chloé Zhao has made negative remarks about the CCP in the past. Although a clean-up has begun the internet never forgets, and the CCP is not known for being forgiving. The movie COULD be banned in China, but for now no official statement has been made by the CCP.

Shang-Chi faces a similar problem with the racist background of the origin of the hero and his nemesis. The CCP will NOT forgive Disney for Fu Manchu and Shang-Chi is therefore on very thin ice.

Again, neither movie is officially banned in China atm, but things can change very quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    The director Chloé Zhao has made negative remarks about the CCP in the past. Although a clean-up has begun the internet never forgets, and the CCP is not known for being forgiving. The movie COULD be banned in China, but for now no official statement has been made by the CCP.

Shang-Chi faces a similar problem with the racist background of the origin of the hero and his nemesis. The CCP will NOT forgive Disney for Fu Manchu and Shang-Chi is therefore on very thin ice.

Again, neither movie is officially banned in China atm, but things can change very quickly.
    Well fuck china.

Disney, and everyone else needs to stop pandering to that whining baby of a "country"
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

looks like 3 of the male eternals turned female.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Looks boring
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post

Its pretty obvious China is gonna ban Eternals.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    so, they were shaping all of history(but not interfering?) and are so stupidly powerful and all that, but did they just sit on their hands when thanos snapped life away? I mean shit, he wasn't exactly thorough with his wish, "half of all life" could literally just mean half of the total and not half of every world, and I gotta imagine that humanity is a blip on the universal scale so there would have been a lot more than half the planet.

Sounds like a captain marvel "oh they're the strongest because we say so due to the fact that looking woke puts asses in chairs, they just decide that the end of trillions of lives/total planetary invasion/destruction was beneath them" annoying retcon.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

7+ Year Old Account
    I generally, not a fan of eternals as a whole, because to me, the eternals and deviant thing was not done right, so i would prefer a focus on something else, but im most displeased about the gender swap thing. Well, hopefully they bring us the Black knight, with is the only thing im looking for besides Gilgamesh.

Also, don't like this bs of "we don't interfere, but now we will", seems cheap, so i hope they give a good answer for that.

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    Sounds like a captain marvel "oh they're the strongest because we say so due to the fact that looking woke puts asses in chairs, they just decide that the end of trillions of lives/total planetary invasion/destruction was beneath them" annoying retcon.
    Yeah, I guess we'll have more details during the movie, but even if they find a correct excuse for them not caring about the initial snap, they definitely should have done something when Thanos was back and aiming at snapping away EVERYONE during Endgame.

The excuse of "they knew they didn't need to interfere because they knew this would fail" doesn't hold, for two reasons:
    - In the 14.000.604 other realities witnessed by Strange, they apparently didn't intervene either.
    - If they dare using that argument, then it's a big FU for all other movies. We'll forever know nothing important can ever happen in Thor 4, Guardians 3, or any other movie not including Eternal as "they don't intervene so it's all good".

Where is Cpt.Marvel during the Infinity War?
    Where are the Kree?
    Where is the Grandmaster and Hakkar?
    Where are the Marauders?

We know Skrulls in the MCU are in a post annihilation wave state: a destroyed civilization with some thousands survivors ( not Annihilus to blame but the same state as comics). The Chi-Tauri are allied with Thanos,Asgard and Xandar are destroyed and the Shiar,Badoon and Spartax that in the comics are the other main civilizations of the Universe are nowhere to be found in the MCU.

So I raise this question? Where is Carol Danvers and where are the Kree? Carol states that she was helping other civilizations that "don't have the luck to have Avengers" but this is a completely absurd answer. Half the universe was about to be blown so..... that little planet Cpt. Marvel was helping to not get enslaved by other evil aliens? Half Dead.And the evil aliens? Half dead too.The only way to explain this behavior is that Carol wasn't aware of Thanos plan until Fury activates the device.

The same thing can be said about the Kree: as long as we can see they are the top dog civilization. We know Ronan knows Thanos "little project" but Ronan after GoTG vol1 is out of the picture so.....we can say Kree are unaware because otherwise we would have the Kree Armada knocking on Earth's door for the gems given that they probably won't like be cut in half.

The only way to explain the absence of the cosmic section of the MCU is: they just don't know the snap is coming.Simple as that.

As long as we know hundreds or thousands of other civilizations (mostly because we can see a vast array of aliens in GoTG) in the MCU and not even a single one of them were worried about having 50% of their population dead. Not even a single one sent a hero or an starship to try to stop Thanos. I think is pretty reasonable to say Thanos act fast so there's no reaction time wich means almost no one in the universe is aware. He levels Xandar and gets the power gem,comes to earth kills Loki ( gets the space gem) and abduct ( or he thinks he does) Strange (Time gem) and then flies to Knowhere where he gets the reality gem. Then the soul gem and then Titan then Earth again for the Mind gem. So ...how much time passes from Xandar destruction ( first gem) to Vision destruction ( last gem)? 1 Day? 2? A week? We don't know...time in films is a curious concept but we have some hints: Fury.

Fury is the know-it-all character. That's his job. He is the world biggest superspy and his "superpower" is precisely that: managing information. And despite that and the fact that Earth is the battlefield ( alien Ship landing in New York and then in Wakanda) he does not realize Thanos won until the snap has already happened.

Why are people implying the Eternals should know about Thanos plan when Fury or the Kree or basically everyone that is not an Avenger arent aware? Did Xandar or Knowhere sent an universal alarm message or something " WARNING!!! Thanos is after the infinity gems!!" before being destroyed?

I really can't see why the Eternals should be aware given that we don't even know is they were in Earth during the Infinity War and I think here is the key to understand the Eternals.

The Celestials come to earth in the First Host( although in 2019 it's retconned to not be the first) and modify some primates genetic structure to create 3 races: the deviants, the humans and the eternals. The eternals are designed to expand through the galaxy so they do precisely that: some of them colonize the saturn moon Titan and create the Titan civilization. Thanos is a Titan ( eternal born in Titan whose fathers A'lars and Sui-san are eternals born in Earth) afected by the deviant syndrome( hence the size,purple color and rugged chin).In the films it's not implicitly said he is a Titan ( the title "Mad Titan" is not used) but we know that he destroyed Titan civilization. We can see the ruins and he even shows how Titan was before he (quote) "offered them a solution" so that matches the comics.

So my theory is : the eternals left earth many centuries along probably after Titan destruction ( because that's what eternals do, travel , expand ,colonize) and they weren't aware of the war for the gems. It's the snap the event that pushes them to come home.

In the trailer we can see Makkari reading a book at hyperspeed and in that room there's many kind of artifacts some old ( medieval armors, roman and egyptian statues) some new ( a PS VR headset...the freaking original Cpt.America shield) wich seems to imply they are getting up to date , they are learning everything that they missed.

So my personal theory is that Eternals is the story of them coming back to earth and YES it's just speculation and mental fapping but that's what discussing about the MCU is ,right? LoL

There's more of course ( I keep mine anyway):

Explanation 2: the Eternals are a title that has been rebooted countless times ( anything that Kirby/Lee/Ditko did,touched, looked at or smelled is "sacred" in Marvel). The last one the project was assigned to Neil Gaiman and it did not worked good ( and boy! when not even Gaiman can make an story about gods work you are royally fucked). In this last iteration the Eternals have lost the knowledge about their own nature ( they don't know they are eternals) and the story is precisely their "awakening" or remembering who they are.

Explanation 3: We know the Deviants are if not all a big part of the "evil ones" in the film. They are depicted in the Eternals toys and merchandising ( blame the change in the release date or not...). The purpose of the Eternals is protecting humanity from the Deviants so once they were erased from earth the Celestials ( that ARE in the movie too: there's official posters and there's even a toy of the "inca" temple eternals use to communicate with them) banned them from interfering.The Snap ( or UnSnap) put the Deviants back and therefore alloed Eternals to act against them.

And I think that's enough nerdism for today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    If i'm not mistaken this is one ofthe 2 new marvel's films thats banned in China? means it will 100% make a loss
    China takes 75% of the B.O. so no, it won't sink the profitability of this movie.
    Last edited by JDL49; 2021-05-29 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    Why are people implying the Eternals should know about Thanos plan when Fury or the Kree or basically everyone that is not an Avenger arent aware? Did Xandar or Knowhere sent an universal alarm message or something " WARNING!!! Thanos is after the infinity gems!!" before being destroyed?
    I read your entire post (twice, in fact), I just quoted the part where I think has inherent issue as it relates to the movies: everything relies on those with any modicum of knowledge or power having zero knowledge of the Inifinity Stones, their location(s), all while not keeping tabs on such insanely powerful objects.

For the most part, I can believe the human Avengers, Fury, etc. (aka, everyone who has basically remained on earth for most/all of their lives) may have had little to no information or knowledge of the stones and their locations. However, there are exceptions, especially with Dr. Strange... granted he doesn't even know it's the Time Stone initially, but those around him apparently knew that it was an Infinity Stone in a throwaway line that's easy to miss. Thor and Guardians I can let slide potentially, so I'll just do that for now. When it comes to Marvel... ugh, I don't want to delve into that, so I'll leave it at the assumption she and those around here are clueless about the stones.

The problems comes when you start getting to cosmic level beings, and with the constant reboots/recons/etc. this gets quite a bit murky. Considering the power of the stones, I don't think it would be any stretch of the imagination that the Eternals (along with any other similar power level group) would not only be aware of them, but would keep tabs on them... heck, I wouldn't be surprised if fights broke out over them considering how easily they can change the universe with literally a snap of your fingers. Now, I'm willing to bend to say those who had good intentions and possession of the stones went out of their way to hide them insanely well as they felt their power was too much... but that leads to the problem of how only Thanos seems to know the location of most of the stones and gets them 'relatively' easily. I would've found it more believable that multiple parties were trying to get the stones and fighting for them, but you run into the issue of their knowledge having to be not that secretive to where it'd be likely that major powers would likely know if a stone turned up missing and/or who took it.

When it comes to your guesses, I think Explanation 2 would be the most logical one... but overall I view things like this:

The given reason: Eternals were incapacitated in some form, so they were out of the picture.
    The "real" reason: Marvel is trying to fix plotholes, as this phase 4 is probably not planned very well (as it has already contradicted previous phases)
    The real reason: People will just consume whatever they throw out, so lower effort is being put in since they don't think it'll affect returns.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2021-05-29 at 08:38 PM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    I read your entire post (twice, in fact), I just quoted the part where I think has inherent issue as it relates to the movies: everything relies on those with any modicum of knowledge or power having zero knowledge of the Inifinity Stones, their location(s), all while not keeping tabs on such insanely powerful objects.

For the most part, I can believe the human Avengers, Fury, etc. (aka, everyone who has basically remained on earth for most/all of their lives) may have had little to no information or knowledge of the stones and their locations. However, there are exceptions, especially with Dr. Strange... granted he doesn't even know it's the Time Stone initially, but those around him apparently knew that it was an Infinity Stone in a throwaway line that's easy to miss. Thor and Guardians I can let slide potentially, so I'll just do that for now. When it comes to Marvel... ugh, I don't want to delve into that, so I'll leave it at the assumption she and those around here are clueless about the stones.

The problems comes when you start getting to cosmic level beings, and with the constant reboots/recons/etc. this gets quite a bit murky. Considering the power of the stones, I don't think it would be any stretch of the imagination that the Eternals (along with any other similar power level group) would not only be aware of them, but would keep tabs on them... heck, I wouldn't be surprised if fights broke out over them considering how easily they can change the universe with literally a snap of your fingers. Now, I'm willing to bend to say those who had good intentions and possession of the stones went out of their way to hide them insanely well as they felt their power was too much... but that leads to the problem of how only Thanos seems to know the location of most of the stones and gets them 'relatively' easily. I would've found it more believable that multiple parties were trying to get the stones and fighting for them, but you run into the issue of their knowledge having to be not that secretive to where it'd be likely that major powers would likely know if a stone turned up missing and/or who took it.

When it comes to your guesses, I think Explanation 2 would be the most logical one... but overall I view things like this:

The given reason: Eternals were incapacitated in some form, so they were out of the picture.
    The "real" reason: Marvel is trying to fix plotholes, as this phase 4 is probably not planned very well (as it has already contradicted previous phases)
    The real reason: People will just consume whatever they throw out, so lower effort is being put in since they don't think it'll affect returns.
    There's also the explanation that was used in the comics which is that 99.999% of people either didn't know they existed or didn't understand the power they can wield separately much less when brought together. I think what would have been good in the mcu is a scene somewhere along the way showing how Thanos came to know about them and to understand that bringing them together was the only way to reach his goal. Having them being widely known about in the mcu was a bad decision imo even though they did it mostly to try and give a backstory to them. They should have had Thanos be the one to explain them or have him find some lost long library somewhere where he uncovers their existence.
    Last edited by Berndorf; 2021-05-29 at 10:28 PM.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    why didnt the eternals do anything about the stones?

Because you can only make one film at a time and theres more money to be made by making more rather than having every single story/hero in one film.

So can people please move past the "WheRe WeRe tHeY"

like holy shit

They were locked up in Kevin Fieges basement until he decided to focus on them next
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    why didnt the eternals do anything about the stones?

Because you can only make one film at a time and theres more money to be made by making more rather than having every single story/hero in one film.

So can people please move past the "WheRe WeRe tHeY"

like holy shit
    Exactly.

It's almost like they might... /gasp... explain it in the movie!
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Considering the power of the stones, I don't think it would be any stretch of the imagination that the Eternals (along with any other similar power level group) would not only be aware of them, but would keep tabs on them...
    Why or how would they even be keeping tabs on them? They’ve been on Earth for thousands of years but a few of the stones never reached the planet till Thanos brought them. Thanos also had to have a custom built item created to even be able to harness the power of all the stones together and facilitate the snap, which is something else that wouldn’t be common knowledge. The Black Order was only on earth for minutes before apparently retreating and the whole battle of Wakanda took only a couple hours at most, so how would the Eternals have intervened?

The only moment where it gets iffy is when Thanos comes back in Endgame. Yeah they’d have had to know what was going down, be gathered up, and with a sorcerer ready to teleport them, but we’re already suspending our disbelief that everyone who DOES show up was ready to go and had a sorcerer standing by with them. In the end I’m perfectly fine with ignoring the logistics of having all the characters we’ve watched over 20 movies show up, while at the same time not jumping through hoops to think up scenarios where other Marvel heroes could have shown up.

5+ Year Old Account
    I don't get it, why didn't they show the black knight with his armor n sword? he is supposed to look pretty cool, all these other characters seemed meh..

...who is the bad guy?

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    Wikipedia helps with those doubts, for people like me who never read the comics.

https://wiki2.org/en/Eternals_(comics)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternals_(film)
    Did they change half of the characters from the comics... again?