Thread: [FILM] Eternals

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Imagine living your life so frightened by other ethnicities and strong women, that you shit on movies that show those things.
    Pretty sure his saracastic point was that whatever race/ethnicity/gender the actors and who they portray are shouldn't matter, as long as the movie is good and entertaining. Current trend for movies is trite sociopolitical narratives and representation first, ensuring you make a good and entertaining movie a distant second. Forget movies, even the most recent Marvel shows on Disney+ follow this trend to the point of absurdity. People seem to think that all representation is groundbreaking, when ethnic/gender diversity was done all the time and considered normal back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's (and usually without sociopolitical motivation involved). Perhaps people here are so young that they never lived during those decades and just believe the narratives they hear, or they've just memory-holed the past to that point. It's really not hard to find fun and entertaining movies pre-2000's that could check all the boxes that 'need' to be filled nowadays, the difference is that entertaining audiences was king.

Anyways, with respect to the Eternals specifically, I don't see any energy surrounding this film. From the very limited visual media to the film's news stories mostly being puff pieces that tell you virtually nothing that matters, it's almost like Disney is worried that this film won't be received well. If we go by the teaser trailer, as other have stated it's very generic and tells you nothing of importance. It just jumps all over the place, which makes one wonder how jumbled the movie will be. Furthermore, considering the cast of 'main' characters... that's a lot of characters you'll have to build up and explain. Not only are they pretty much nobody characters to the average movie-goer, but also that means you have to spend that much more time getting the audience attached to each new character (which will likely leave little time for actual plot).

I've already seen some comments about this, and it should be a problem that the Eternals didn't do anything during the Infinity Wars saga since Thanos is an Eternal from Titan (at least in the comics, but it's at least inferred in End Game when describing his past). I have this sneaking suspicion they'll just be lazy and do the "We would've, but we had other pressing matters to deal with...", which is super lazy and basically what they did with Marvel to explain her absence during Infinity Wars and most of End Game. I've already heard word that they're nerfing the power levels of the Eternals, but I'd hope they give a good reason for their lack of intervention when half the universe was wiped out.

Regardless, I think Marvel is going to start having a difficult time with the direction of their franchise when it comes to the stakes in any given movie. Once you start going up the food chain and the power levels increase, I fear eventually every movie will end up having the stakes always being some world/universe-ending level of disaster... and that tends to fatigue people. Even with nerfed power levels, it'll be hard to keep everything grounded enough that audiences will actually be invested in the stakes. If we circle back to the Eternal's teaser and the obviously thrown in line of them only observing and not interfering until now, the stakes have to be higher than wiping out 50% of life in the entire universe... which is already huge in terms of stakes. Any movie involving them will have to be of that scale, otherwise there's nothing really to do with them.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I do believe they're MCU, references are made to the Battle of New York IIRC. If what you mean is, are they part of the same universe and not just part of the same production group (that, they are not).
    They were MCU...but at the time Marvel TV and Marvel Films were still technically separate entities with different development heads. With the Disney+ shows they're all part of the same family...and most of the older shows are being retroactively made non-canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    Thanos is an Eternal and is related by blood to Thena (who will be played by Angelina Jolie )
    i know,i mean the plot of the movie being unrelated to him

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Imagine living your life so frightened by other ethnicities and strong women, that you shit on movies that show those things.
    Did you not read anything I said? I said I want them to have more important roles.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    If we circle back to the Eternal's teaser and the obviously thrown in line of them only observing and not interfering until now, the stakes have to be higher than wiping out 50% of life in the entire universe... which is already huge in terms of stakes. Any movie involving them will have to be of that scale, otherwise there's nothing really to do with them.
    I don’t understand the obsession with relating all future Marvel movie stakes back to Infinity War/Endgame. The Infinity Saga was indeed a big ramp up in terms of threats but only pertained to a relatively small group of heroes who had actually come in contact with the stones during recent history. The events of the last two movies took place over a pretty short amount of time so I see no issue with other super heroes existing in the world without being part of the Avengers’ fight against Thanos.

These stories don’t become more interesting ONLY based on how dangerous the villain is. I trust Marvel can keep coming up with interesting and compelling characters (both heroes and villains) that make for good stories, even if half the universe isn’t always at stake.

As for the Eternals, they have been on Earth since pretty much the dawn of civilization and as such have been present for the deaths of tens of billions of people. Whatever enemies they face don’t have to relate to a “they can wipe out X percentage of the current population” sort of benchmark. In fact, I think that would kinda be a boring thing for characters like that to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post

Not sure what the Eternals are but I heard they're related to Thanos. Also, Angelina Jolie, Kit, and Stark are apart of the MCU. Wow

"simple" explanation ( correct me if i am wrong doing this from the back of my head):

Eternals:
    - That floating head you see in Gaurdians of the galaxy 1 ( knowhere). that is a head of being called a celestial.
    - celestials are super beings that test planets by conducting experiments on them. If it fails, they wipe the planet out.
    - they ussually make 3 races from the original race on the planet.
    - A monster like race ( deviants) stronger physical, but monsters.
    - Plain humans
    - and eternals have super powers
    - the test is to do the job that they where given ( i think).

sidenote:
    celestials also visited the skrull. The Skrull in turn tried to do it to the kree and that started the war ( in the comics)

Thanos ( comics):
    - think they left earth ( a group of eternals) to live on titan.
    - thanos is also a titan. But a weird one.
    - His mother had the power of seeing the future. And she knew that he was to become a monster. So she tried to kill him when he was just born.
    - she was sent to a asylum. Thanos was teased about that. But also manipulated by the aspect of death ( like death itself). That plus his kinda sociopath behavoir caused him to hurt other childeren and animals.
    - later his mother was "cured" of her insanity. Better said she thought she was wrong. But i think thanos even experimented on his mother. (yeah mcu thanos was a nice guy).

But all of this is out of memory so i can be wrong. And this is comic origins. So a lot might change.

For me it looks bland and boring. But i think that is a good thing. The more bland looking trailers and idea's end up to be the best mcu movies/series. Like captian america winter soldier, or gaurdians 1, thor 3 etc

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    God when are they going to shit out a movie that represents Native American/German/French/Russian mixed people for once?! /s

Yawn. Just looks like yet another two hour long slide show of "exotique peoples" faces.
    Dude did you even watch the trailer....

the main cast has african americans, caucassian...but also:
    - chinese
    - pakistan
    - korean
    - mexican
    - indian ( from india to be clear)

and angelina jolie is from ( straight from the wiki): she has primarily French Canadian, Dutch, and German ancestry

So only missing native americans.

So next time watch the trailer. Even if you do not knew the actors. you could have seen that it was very mixxed bag.

Ikarus

Old school Jack Kirby;
    Last edited by Shadowferal; 2021-05-25 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    ...I also thought Guardians of the Galaxy would be terrible...you know..with a tree and a rodent...and it was awesome.
    Pfft...Groot nor Rocket were the problem from my perspective.
    As for Eternals... The question remains how different will this be from the Inhumans.

Yeah. The whole race metric is going to be a hard sell. The human race getting experimented on... The "Deviants," as the word implies, were the failed results. While the "Eternals" were considered successes for humanity's progression. We're talking a bunch of space gods mucking around human genetic potential. This played well enough as an idea sort of...for a comicbook. (Never sold all that well) Jack Kirby was full of ideas. But this never has played well on the big screen. (My first thought was "Gods of Egypt" revisited)

Wow, the Exterminator from Chernobyl Barry Keoghan is also casted.

If i'm not mistaken this is one ofthe 2 new marvel's films thats banned in China? means it will 100% make a loss

Some pretty interesting cast members.

But the characters look really generic & dull.
    Just from watching the trailer, I already have a whole bunch of assumptions/predictions that I'm pretty sure is turn out to be right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    If i'm not mistaken this is one ofthe 2 new marvel's films thats banned in China? means it will 100% make a loss
    Not necessarily. These Marvel films tend to perform very strongly across the globe so while missing out on $150-200 million from the Chinese market will hurt it doesn't mean the film won't turn a profit overall. Deadpool easily managed it despite being banned in China, and while Eternals certainly has a higher budget to make up, it's also a wider audience release. Granted, there's also the continued effects of the pandemic that could still hamper ticket sales in November.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Well..let's see what the Drinker has to say on this:

that dude is a literal joke,there is no story with this theme

10+ Year Old Account
    That trailer is a good medicine for insomnia.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

So much negativity over a literal teaser... its not a proper trailer ffs.

Marvel has made it a point to take side characters and complete D listers and craft amazing movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    That looks like a box office bomb. I mean, that was as bad as a Blizzard trailer. A bunch of constipated dialogue around sweeping shots of various landscapes.
    I mean that's why it is called a teaser. Teaser's are generally like this. I'd imagine once it gets to the full on trailer stage it'll be a bit better since these teaser only showed a few second glance at the villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    I mean that's why it is called a teaser. Teaser's are generally like this. I'd imagine once it gets to the full on trailer stage it'll be a bit better since these teaser only showed a few second glance at the villain.
    Yikes. Its the kiss of death to say "its only early days, it will get better later". Unless your on the film crew there's no way you can know this.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Yikes. Its the kiss of death to say "its only early days, it will get better later". Unless your on the film crew there's no way you can know this.
    Well generally for most trailers the teaser is just "introducing" things super quick to give you a small preview. The trailers are usually where you see the depth somewhat and get a lot more of the information. That's just how teasers generally worked and doesn't have anything to do with film crews knowing the future. From what I've seen in the past Teasers usually have mixed reviews on how it is received and isn't until the actual trailers come out that people get more hyped about it. Then we have not every movie/trailer is going to be a homerun for people. The teaser just basically teased with things so once the actual trailer comes out as we get closer you can get a better picture of how things will go (since a lot tend to spoil most of the movies).