Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Imagine basing how a game's doing off twitch numbers.

WoW is a boring game to watch, doesn't mean no one plays it just means no one finds joy watching other people play it.

Quote Originally Posted by OokOok View Post
    Imagine basing how a game's doing off twitch numbers.

WoW is a boring game to watch, doesn't mean no one plays it just means no one finds joy watching other people play it.
    this. Oh look, AC Vikings has few viewers on twitch. I better not play it

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but, you have to buy GTA to play GTA RP, right?
    Yes, but they make the vast majority of their money with microtransactions, not the game itself. You can get the base game for super cheap nowadays. The modded servers don’t make much, if any money for Rockstar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, the good old Twitch metric to determine the playerbase of a game.
    Because everybody playing a game is also watching gameplay on Twitch.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    this. Oh look, AC Vikings has few viewers on twitch. I better not play it
    even then the streamer themselves play a big role..Amouranth could play Desert Bus and Shaq Fu in a hottub wearing a bikini and get number 1 in Twitch...wouldn't make those good games

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    WoW's viewership on twitch is one of the few things that's keeping the game's community going. This is demonstrably, identifiably, wholly and unequivocally false.
    Tell someone who doesn't play WoW to watch any stream about it and see if they can get a clue about what's going on. As in how to actually play the game.

WoW itself is not a watchable game, streamers have to add personality and connection to their viewers to make it watchable.

I'm not often on twitch but I was the other day and I was shocked to see Asmogold at 100k! like damn he's come a long way making millions now. No wonder you see so many threads here trying to discuss his opinions lol.

Quote Originally Posted by varren View Post
    Classic was a twice in a lifetime experience. TBC is great but doesn't have anywhere near the same impact that Vanilla did.
    That and I'm sure many people were curious just how close to the original blizz had gotten classic. Classic also had always been hyped up as this super immersive, challenging, community experience. It effectively had over a decade of hype building for it.

Now they know how things really are, and TBC isn't going to be radically different either.

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    That and I'm sure many people were curious just how close to the original blizz had gotten classic. Classic also had always been hyped up as this super immersive, challenging, community experience. It effectively had over a decade of hype building for it.

Now they know how things really are, and TBC isn't going to be radically different either.
    You grossly underestimate the "Maybe it'll be different this time" crowd

IE the reason Sonic keeps getting sequal after sequal

10+ Year Old Account
    why would it be popular? because pre-patch?
    can u wait until TBC launch first before talking about it?
    Of course wow now is way low, most ppl don't even care to play it with almost no update, and no a pre-patch isn't 'update'
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

If twitch numbers mean anything we can safely assume that ff14 and teso are unpopular games that don't even come close to WoW.

Thank god anyone with a brain knows that twitch viewership means jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Tell someone who doesn't play WoW to watch any stream about it and see if they can get a clue about what's going on. As in how to actually play the game.

WoW itself is not a watchable game, streamers have to add personality and connection to their viewers to make it watchable.
    You can say that about nearly every game on twitch. This line of reasoning is flimsy at best.

Quote Originally Posted by varren View Post
    Classic was a twice in a lifetime experience. TBC is great but doesn't have anywhere near the same impact that Vanilla did.
    This. Classic was a once in a lifetime relaunch experience. Tbc, Wotlk... no expac can even come close to that hype.

Tbc will be crowded next week sure, even more so than retail til 9.1 at least... but it won’t even come close to what classic did in a short span

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    You can say that about nearly every game on twitch. This line of reasoning is flimsy at best.
    Fall Guys, Fortnite, any kind of survival or sports game you can glimpse in a second what's going on. Most shooters too since you see what kind of weapon people run around with and they have at most 2 modes.

While WoW you might see a character running around but without knowing the game you have no clue whatsoever what kind of abilities the player uses.

mmos in general are boring as fuck to watch compared to playing. You are moving across a horizontal plane to rub butts around a pillar or raid boss hammering a hotbar of keys in a rotation. Theres no verticality, theres no major upsets or shocks beyond "i fucked up and died lmao". Its not a genre made for watching which is why nobody gives a hot fuck about the many failed attempts to make mmo combat an esport.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prepatch generally isn't a big draw for viewers outside channels that have a pre-existing, well-cultivated viewer base like Asmon or Soda where viewers will tune in regardless of what's going on. The expansion launch proper and each phase update are where the audience engagement is.

Also, worth repeating, WoW is 15 years old. That it manages to pull as much of a draw as it does, doubly so with 15- and 14-year-old versions of the game as well as the modern iteration, is exceptional for an MMORPG built around lengthy time sinks and repetitive gameplay.
    Last edited by Thage; 2021-05-28 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Isn't the real question rather more why is an almost 20 year old game with literally repetitive content still in the top 10 gaming streams?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    Maybe Asmongold should play while in a hot tub.
    if i wanted this i would give my pet hamster a hot tub by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker1 View Post
    if i wanted this i would give my pet hamster a hot tub by now.
    Talking pet hamster in a hot tub would be too twitch material