Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question The mystery of xmogs "too cool" to put in the game.

Did you know that? Shadowlands is not the first xpac in which Blizzard creates an incredibly cool xmog ... but (it seems) that just because it is too cool ... they choose to replace this with something more ... hnnn ... "meh".

Am I the only one who has realized this?

This helm of mail armor can still be seen in the Dressing Room section of the Wowhead website:

This should be one of the only 3 mail armor helmets ever created and that someone would really like to wear on his hunter. As we know the worst xmogs are from Hunter. This helm / cowl goes perfectly with this Pet (if you are a Hunter) and also with this fist weapon (if you are a Shamam).

See below:

https://www.wowhead.com/dressing-roo...a8MkR808YFU87V

But what happened?
    The legend tells us that it should have been the "head Night Fae covenants" but ... (at some point) it was sabotaged and instead they gave us that generic two-horned cowl. To find out why a totally unique and interesting helmet was replaced by another hood with horns ... we will only know the truth about this when some courageous former Blizzard employee writes a book entitled "The Twisting Corridors INSIDE Blizzard".

As I said up there, it is not the first time that a TOTALLY cool and TOTALLY ready weapon model or xmog is not put in the game.

In Ulduar raid one of the most beautiful (and rarely cool) xmogs for Hunters (a black with yellow details) does not have the helm of this. lol. Who could explain this macabre decision?

I have a theory: There seems to be a kind of "protocol" in Blizzard that we can call here "the non-perfect-xmog protocol". Some xmogs and weapons that are previously designed and created are NOT chosen to go into the game as they are TOO COOL and every player would want to use this ... and as a result we would have a lot of players with a similar appearance and (for some reason) that bothers Blizzard .
    It is for this reason that World of Warcraft that has existed for 17 years today does not have a single 100% full-black xmog for rogues. I swear, in any MMORPG you will now enter the rogue class of that MMO will have an entirely black xmog. Part of the fantasy of this type of class is to wear a completely black outfit. Now ... try to find some xmog like that for your rogue in WoW. You will find dark brown, dark blue, dark gray .... and all with some detail or green, or gold, or silver etc ...!

What I said sounds like a conspiracy theory ... or maybe you just haven't stopped to think about it more seriously, until now.

p.s: English is not my first lenguage. Sorry about some weird word..
    Last edited by Fantazma; 2021-05-26 at 07:29 PM.

Cool is subjective and honestly I don't share your opinion on cool. Ulduar hunter set you call "one of the most beautiful" is really crappy and could work with undead hunter only. That NF head is also ugly and it was a good change ti swap it with hood (though I would leave the other one in game as well since it looks finished anyway, maybe as a random world drop or smth).

I agree on the principle that blizzard is slow to add cool mogs, but for me it means more 'normal" items, like cosmetic hats, glasses, hoods, backpacks, quivers, scarfs, proper cloaks (not dingly dangly rags).

We are getting these things now which is awesome, but I was honestly expecting them 3 expansions ago.

Aren't conspiracy theory threads not allowed on these forums?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Aren't conspiracy theory threads not allowed on these forums?
    it's not a conspiracy if it's right!

on the note of the title, it's likely a management decision not to release too many items into the game that look 'premium' that people can get for 'free' and will likely be used at a later date as part of a money grabbing scheme when they need it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Cool is subjective and honestly I don't share your opinion on cool. Ulduar hunter set you call "one of the most beautiful" is really crappy and could work with undead hunter only.
    The words hunter set and cool in the same sentence without negation is in itself aleady nothing less than disturbing..
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    The words hunter set and cool in the same sentence without negation is in itself aleady nothing less than disturbing..
    Yes, if you like xmogs the WORST class for you to play is Hunter. This happens because the designer team has to make something impossible happen every time: Find some way to please Hunter and Shamans at the same time.
    So (mainly in the head where we have the biggest problem) we will always see skulls, hoods with bones, Aztec masks, very strange hats ... and that's it.
    To solve this endless problem ... it would be enough for the devs to announce that Hunter and Shamam can now also use leather xmogs.
    It is a simple solution and it makes a lot of sense.
    But devs have a problem with that: The terribly spoiled player-base. I predict players who use leather (and don't want to share that) by writing letters to the supreme court for Blizzard to reverse a decision like this ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fantazma View Post
    Yes, if you like xmogs the WORST class for you to play is Hunter. This happens because the designer team has to make something impossible happen every time: Find some way to please Hunter and Shamans at the same time.
    So (mainly in the head where we have the biggest problem) we will always see skulls, hoods with bones, Aztec masks, very strange hats ... and that's it.
    Nah, hunter sets were awful even back when the sets had no off-pieces and were entirely class restricted to hunters. The designers apparently could only think about hunters being guys that kill stuff and wear it.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

5+ Year Old Account
    To solve this endless problem ... it would be enough for the devs to announce that Hunter and Shamam can now also use leather xmogs.
    It is a simple solution and it makes a lot of sense.
    But devs have a problem with that: The terribly spoiled player-base. I predict players who use leather (and don't want to share that) by writing letters to the supreme court for Blizzard to reverse a decision like this ...
    Leather being probably the most coveted armor type (even more than plate, for what I've seen) for xmog doesn't help either.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Could just be it's being reworked into a different set or they felt the current one fit better.

So far they haven't really dipped their toes in much on transmog store items... just the helms and blizzcon outfits and given the brutal backlash and bullying of players the helms generated I would be surprised to see transmogs that were not goofy ones pushed again.

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post

on the note of the title, it's likely a management decision not to release too many items into the game that look 'premium' that people can get for 'free' and will likely be used at a later date as part of a money grabbing scheme when they need it to be.
    How much later? We got 3 helms in MoP and that was almost a decade ago. Like I said, conspiracy theory.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

7+ Year Old Account
    That ulduar set is pretty weird indeed, we have other examples of sets who cannot be completed, either the item never existed or it was simple removed from the game.

It pisses me off badly

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    That ulduar set is pretty weird indeed, we have other examples of sets who cannot be completed, either the item never existed or it was simple removed from the game.

It pisses me off badly
    Especially old sets are weird here. For example there is a mage set where a piece (belt?) only drops from a specific boss in violet hold, despite it being a raid set. Some of the stuff they removed in cata took until BfA for them to finally bring it back (grinding islands /vomit)

Blizzard has absolutely nothing to gain from making the game bad on purpose. Not when it comes to transmog, not when it comes to any other area of the game. It just means that whoever decides the final look of the set had a different vision than you. It's possible the old looks will get re-added to the game to some other source in the future
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Did you know that? Shadowlands is not the first xpac in which Blizzard creates an incredibly cool xmog ... but (it seems) that just because it is too cool ... they choose to replace this with something more ... hnnn ... "meh".

Am I the only one who has realized this?

This helm of mail armor can still be seen in the Dressing Room section of the Wowhead website:

This should be one of the only 3 mail armor helmets ever created and that someone would really like to wear on his hunter. As we know the worst xmogs are from Hunter. This helm / cowl goes perfectly with this Pet (if you are a Hunter) and also with this fist weapon (if you are a Shamam).

See below:

https://www.wowhead.com/dressing-roo...a8MkR808YFU87V

But what happened?
    The legend tells us that it should have been the "head Night Fae covenants" but ... (at some point) it was sabotaged and instead they gave us that generic two-horned cowl. To find out why a totally unique and interesting helmet was replaced by another hood with horns ... we will only know the truth about this when some courageous former Blizzard employee writes a book entitled "The Twisting Corridors INSIDE Blizzard".

As I said up there, it is not the first time that a TOTALLY cool and TOTALLY ready weapon model or xmog is not put in the game.

In Ulduar raid one of the most beautiful (and rarely cool) xmogs for Hunters (a black with yellow details) does not have the helm of this. lol. Who could explain this macabre decision?

I have a theory: There seems to be a kind of "protocol" in Blizzard that we can call here "the non-perfect-xmog protocol". Some xmogs and weapons that are previously designed and created are NOT chosen to go into the game as they are TOO COOL and every player would want to use this ... and as a result we would have a lot of players with a similar appearance and (for some reason) that bothers Blizzard .
    It is for this reason that World of Warcraft that has existed for 17 years today does not have a single 100% full-black xmog for rogues. I swear, in any MMORPG you will now enter the rogue class of that MMO will have an entirely black xmog. Part of the fantasy of this type of class is to wear a completely black outfit. Now ... try to find some xmog like that for your rogue in WoW. You will find dark brown, dark blue, dark gray .... and all with some detail or green, or gold, or silver etc ...!

What I said sounds like a conspiracy theory ... or maybe you just haven't stopped to think about it more seriously, until now.

p.s: English is not my first lenguage. Sorry about some weird word..
    You‘re one of the guys who believes there is a dungeon below a pizza place in DC, are you?

mainly in the head where we have the biggest problem
    The biggest problem with hunter sets is they're all gray/brown+[color]

Especially old sets are weird here. For example there is a mage set where a piece (belt?) only drops from a specific boss in violet hold, despite it being a raid set. Some of the stuff they removed in cata took until BfA for them to finally bring it back (grinding islands /vomit)
    Yeah, there's a pair of plate boots that drop from Violet Hold 2.0 as well that are the only ones for completing the H25 ICC warrior set. RNG drop off an RNG boss. Pretty frustrating to farm, but I guess it's nice that it was added 4 expansions later.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's the same with the red and black ICC warrior tier set. The boots now drop from a single RANDOM boss in Legion Violet Hold. Been farming them forever but they refuse to drop.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Yeah, there's a pair of plate boots that drop from Violet Hold 2.0 as well that are the only ones for completing the H25 ICC warrior set. RNG drop off an RNG boss. Pretty frustrating to farm, but I guess it's nice that it was added 4 expansions later.
    Yep that one. Still farming to this day...

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    "Remember, it's not a lie if you believe it"

G. Costanza

10+ Year Old Account
    the mage t11 heroic set (red variant) didn't have a matching belt in the game OTHER THAN being worn by the end of instance boss in the then revamped scarlet monastery dungeon flameweaver koelgar, who interestingly was using a staff that would be released later in the cataclysm lifecycle as a drop from beth'tilac in firelands raid, but yeah the belt never existed as an actual in game item for players to earn to finish off the set, yet the normal mode blue variant was made via tailoring or as a reputation epic to be bought from one of the cataclysm factions i forget which one now, they also had the blue version of the gloves from that set too on the rep vendors, it was weird.

blizzard have a habit of designing a lot of art, some of which gets used and some of which goes into a 'maybe later' pile. problem is that anything not used during an expansion doesn't fit in with the themes of the next and when they return to a similar theme later down the line it looks too dated compared to the newer stuff

it's really a shame because there is a lot of unused art that's really good and it would be so easy to put it in game, even if it's only as a reward from events like trial of style or island expeditions