Thread: Gaming Laptop

Gaming Laptop

Budget - 1500-2000 CAD
    Resolution - 15” or 17”
    System Purpose (gaming, workstation, HTPC, etc) - Gaming
    If a gaming system, what games and settings are desired? - WoW, league, single player games like resident evil or Sekiro
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)- Using excel with work
    Country - Canada
    Preferred Stores / Sites
    Parts that can be reused - /
    Do you need an OS? - /
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? - No

Looking for a laptop that’s for gaming as I’m on the road lots. Thanks in advance

Hey! I also recently bought one - decided on a laptop instead of desktop, because I most likely move in the next 2-3 years. I cannot give you specific pointers, and I'm no expert on the subject. Just some general tips according to the research I did before buying mine. Also not sure if all of this applies to Canada, but I guess US and Canadian market are not that different.

1. The market currently is kinda fucked up also for laptops / full systems. It's difficult to get stuff at an otherwise reasonable price. But it's possible.
    2. I found in general much better offers at the manufacturers directly than on third party websites (like Lenovo, HP, maybe Cyberpower, ibuypower are also ok). I bought mine from ASUS. Got it for 2k USD with a Ryzen 9 5900HS and a GeForce 3080. I would have preferred to pay less and go for a 3070, but the only place they would have had that one for a reasonable price was BestBuy, and they were out of stock. On Amazon / ebay etc, the price for the one with the 3070 was around 2.5-3k, much higher than mine with the better graphics card.
    3. There are some newer single player games in your list, I'd suggest to try and find something at least with the 3070 (or equivalent in power from the last gen), at least for a 1440p display. The 3060 laptop could be enough for 1080p. According to the benchmarks I've seen, there's a good jump from the 3060 to the 3070, but not that much difference between 3070 and 3080. Maybe related to the power / heat dissipation limitations in laptops? Not sure if you can get one with a 3070 currently for your budget, though. And no idea about the AMD graphics cards, sorry.
    4. The offers I found with AMD CPUs were better than Intel for laptops in terms of power / price. Just my general experience when checking. Ymmv.
    5. If you want to do some research and look at benchmarks / FPS tests in games etc, be careful that you look up stuff for the right part. Somehow nVidia named all their cards the same, and you have to specifically check the details or a note like "mobile version" to know that you're actually looking at the results for a laptop version of a card and not the desktop.

Hope this helps! Best of luck finding something fitting.

Thanks for the reply.

After a bit of research I think you’re correct that I should aim for a 3070 but I haven’t found any that are within my price point so I might be just doing the RTX 3060 but

I’ve also found that the AMD seem to be a better option. I came across a nice Reddit thread in my search I think im going to pick one in my price point from this list

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLapto...tm_name=iossmf

Edit: this is one I’ve got my eye on if you or anyone else can comment on if it’s a solid choice or not. Based on some benchmark and reviews it seems good to me

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Last edited by jordo0909; 2021-05-28 at 08:58 PM.