Poll: Do you think there will be 9.3 patch?

Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

[Speculation] There Won't Be 9.3 Patch

To be clear, this is just personal speculation.

1. In terms of lore and content

Sylvanas is the final boss of 9.1 raid. And there is no other known major villain that is worth another patch so far. It is logical to think 9.2 will possibly be SL last major patch with Jailer as final boss.

Unless Blizzard pulls some big lore twists:
    - A reused Arthas/Uther/Garrosh or whatever for a content patch raid
    - It turns out Jailer is good and eternal ones are bad. And Arbiter will be 9.3 boss after Jailer in 9.2
    - With jailer defeated in 9.2, there will be a transition from shadowlands to azeroth or voidlords 9.3 contents patch, with non-SL raid.
    But those possibilities are extremely low.

2. In terms of time

No matter when 9.1 will be released (from June to Augest), it will last probably to January 2022. From previous experience with Legion and BFA, both 7.3 and 8.3 patch lasted nearly a year.

If 9.2 is released in January 2022, and Blizzard still wants to keep 1 expansion every 2 years, which means 10.0 in late 2022, it is very unlikely that there will be a 9.3 patch.

Pure speculation

PS: “no 9.3” can be Blizzard’s best decision for SL, under the game’s current situation.

Do you think there will be 9.3 patch?

Quote Originally Posted by ashblond View Post
    To be clear, this is just personal speculation.

1. In terms of lore and content

Sylvanas is the final boss of 9.1 raid. And there is no other known major villain that is worth another patch so far. It is logical to think 9.2 will possibly be SL last major patch with Jailer as final boss.

Unless Blizzard pulls some big lore twists:
    - A reused Arthas/Uther/Garrosh or whatever for a content patch raid
    - It turns out Jailer is good and eternal ones are bad. And Arbiter will be 9.3 boss after Jailer in 9.2
    - With jailer defeated in 9.2, there will be a transition from shadowlands to azeroth or voidlords 9.3 contents patch, with non-SL raid.
    But those possibilities are extremely low.

2. In terms of time

No matter when 9.1 will be released (from June to Augest), it will last probably to January 2022. From previous experience with Legion and BFA, both 7.3 and 8.3 patch lasted nearly a year.

If 9.2 is released in January 2022, and Blizzard still wants to keep 1 expansion every 2 years, which means 10.0 in late 2022, it is very unlikely that there will be a 9.3 patch.

Pure speculation

PS: “no 9.3” can be Blizzard’s best decision for SL, under the game’s current situation.

Do you think there will be 9.3 patch?
    They literally said in a recent interview that they will be having a 9.3 patch. So yes we are getting 9.3

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    They literally said in a recent interview that they will be having a 9.3 patch. So yes we are getting 9.3
    No, it is confirmed that there will be 9.2. And that's it.

Nothing was said about 9.3

Quote Originally Posted by ashblond View Post
    No, it is confirmed that there will be 9.2. And that's it.

Nothing was said about 9.3
    No. They confirmed theh are working on 9.3 too. At least ger your facts correct.

No. They confirmed theh are working on 9.3 too. At least ger your facts correct.
    The interview stated that the content patches won't be like WoD's. WoD only had 1 major content patch (6.1 wasn't a major content patch). So Shadowlands having a 9.2 would qualify. They've never said they were working on 9.3.
    Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Which one of those ropes can I hang myself with

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    9.3 will happen, 10.0 won't be revealed until Blizzconline 2022, and won't launch until Q1 2023.

Book it.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it will happen but it all depends on how the pandemic delays play out. Its clear things have slowed way down. But story wise it still makes sense for there to be a 9.3 and it would be a little rushed to resolve and set up the next expansion in just one patch. I haven't kept up on all the 9.1 story but we still have to cover the Jailer getting free, similar to 8.2 patch/story and then the aftermath/resolution of that freedom back on Azeroth.

Though the last could be the next expansion tie in where we won't see the effects from his freedom until then.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    9.3 will happen, 10.0 won't be revealed until Blizzconline 2022, and won't launch until Q1 2023.

Book it.
    Saying 9.3 will happen is just same guess as OP. I'm not even sure Blizzard 100% know this, probably they just start making assets for 9.2 since PTR should be around October. There are two key pieces of info we just don't have: 1) is 10.0 team behind just as 9.1 team? 2) how hard HQ push on devs to release 10.0 in 2022?

As for Ion quote it wasn't straight answer either. He said SL won't be abandoned like WoD, but it could mean few things:
    - SL won't have 14/15 month drought, no indication how many patches we will get
    - SL won't have just 3 big raids like WoD, so we will have 9.3 and season 4 (old 3rd tier)
    - SL won't have just 1 big patch and we will get big 9.2 after 9.1.

I can only advice you to not make "100% sure" predictions and pages of argumentation why you are right. We still sometimes make fun of certain person for his "there won't be any 8.3 patch for sure" posts.

I can see 9.3 not happening. Tbh I see the longer patch cycles and X.2 being the last becoming the norm, less work - more profit.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

doesn't really matter to me if there is a 9.3 or not. a badly designed expac is still bad. if there isn't a 9.3, then they'll just make another bad expac. though if i had to guess, the smart thing to do would be to end it with 9.2 and put the extra time into the next expac like they did for legion.

Considering that Blizzard is already extremely behind schedule and their bookkeepers prefer a large chunk of cash in their grubby hands every 2 years, I find it hard to believe that Blizzard will release 2 more proper patches between now and the end of 2022 and then casually sequeeze out another full fleged expansion in the 3 months between that. If we get 2 more "major" patches, then at least one of them will be utterly anemic. The story is also progressing at a pace where a middle patch isn't needed, as side plots are quite weak this time around, even more so than BfA.

Maybe 9.2 will be all about Only Fans integration?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Saying 9.3 will happen is just same guess as OP. I'm not even sure Blizzard 100% know this, probably they just start making assets for 9.2 since PTR should be around October.
    Also this.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do hold a belief that we'll get a 9.3.

And your title needs to say 'speculation'.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I don't disagree and I feel like they could easily wrap up everything in 9.2.

I'd imagine that's what will happen.

I also feel like 10.0 will be ambitious and a bit of a revamp and cutting it to 2 patches will give them more resources for 10.0.

Guess we'll see at Blizzcon (maybe)

From marketing point of view I think it's better for them to release less packed with content expansions more often. Their biggest popularity spikes seem to be expansion launches and expansion price adds to that.

So maybe there will be 9.3 or maybe there won't. There are arguments to be made for both sides. Your guess is as good as anyone's.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    From marketing point of view I think it's better for them to release less packed with content expansions more often. Their biggest popularity spikes seem to be expansion launches and expansion price adds to that.
    Yep, probably that's exactly what Blizz thought before WoD when they planned it as 1 patch expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it really depends on what patch cycle they intend to continue with this expansion. So far there has only been a 9.0.5 released and all that did was introduce Valor as a currency and they haven't given a date for when 9.1 is supposed to drop. If they intend to keep doing 9.x.5 patches for the rest of the expansion we likely won't be seeing 9.2 until January or February of 2022 and it's .5 patch in April or May. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to cut their losses with Shadowlands, announce the next expansion early next year at their Blizzcon event and focus on getting that out for another big cash injection in less than two years of Shadowlands being out.

Not to mention they've said they don't intend to do an Island style patch this expansion and 9.1 seems pretty cut and dry that actually dealing with the Jailer will be the focus of the following patch.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by GR8GODZILLAGOD View Post
    The interview stated that the content patches won't be like WoD's. WoD only had 1 major content patch (6.1 wasn't a major content patch). So Shadowlands having a 9.2 would qualify. They've never said they were working on 9.3.
    ALL x.y patches are considered to be major content patches for the developers. WoD had 2 major patched 8.1 and 8.2.

The developers said it would not be like wod as SL would have more than 2 patches.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    Not to mention they've said they don't intend to do an Island style patch this expansion and 9.1 seems pretty cut and dry that actually dealing with the Jailer will be the focus of the following patch.
    Where? Don't make stuff up dude.

What will happen to Sylvanas after this patch?

ALL x.y patches are considered to be major content patches for the developers. WoD had 2 major patched 8.1 and 8.2.

The developers said it would not be like wod as SL would have more than 2 patches.
    https://www.wowhead.com/news/preach-...iveblog-322060

They thank everyone for their patience and have more content planned after 9.1. This will not be like WoD, there will be a 9.2.
    And they have gone on record saying that 6.1 was misnamed due to its content.
    Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Which one of those ropes can I hang myself with