Poll: How would Jaina Proudmoore and three Windrunner sisters view Kael'thas Sunstrider?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Question How would Jaina Proudmoore and three Windrunner sisters view Kael'thas Sunstrider?

Jaina and Kael'thas were old friends from Dalaran - now that Jaina has arguably surpassed even Kael'thas, what do you think would happen if the two of them met in the Shadowlands, would Jaina easily defeat him in a real fight? Would they still be friendly to each other - there might be considerable tension because of the faction conflict, Kael'thas being attached to the blood elves, especially after what Jaina did to them - but it's possible Kael'thas still has feelings for Jaina deep down inside, and it must be admitted, he acknowledges the void elves as his kin as well.

And regarding the three Windrunner sisters - Alleria, Sylvanas and Vereesa - how do they regard Kael'thas, their former prince and last royal ruler? I think Alleria and Sylvanas could perhaps sympathize with Kael'thas - Alleria was friends with Lothraxion despite all the atrocities he committed for the Legion, and probably understands the lure of good intentions while struggling against the temptations of darker powers; she also understands his attachment to humans and trying to avoid being isolationist, by engaging with other cultures and being part of the world beyond Quel'Thalas. Sylvanas, whom Kael'thas also loved and who rejected him in life, might also recognize in him a somewhat kindred spirit, one who was betrayed by his allies, rejected by the humans, and who has suffered tremendously while trying to protect the people they love - their people, in fact. Vereesa, I'm not sure...she married Rhonin, who probably knew Kael'thas from their time in Dalaran, but other than falling in love with a human mage who studied in the city, there seems no direct connection or commonality.

How do you think Jaina and the Windrunners would view Kael'thas - positively or negatively, as an ally or an enemy, or neither?
    Last edited by OwenBurton; 2021-05-24 at 05:00 AM.
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

What, no poll?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Kael's feelings I think are unrequited. Jaina has turned him down numerous times by now, hasn't she? Granted, Jaina has spent "some time" in the Maw by herself, so maybe she has had time to think on various things. Kael'thas, if he managed to show he wasn't like he was, could probably demonstrate he could make for a good study partner at best - but a relationship at this point seems way too early. Good friends is about the closest I could imagine them jumping to at this stage even with ideal circumstances. Granted, even if Jaina turned heel and suddenly got interested, Kael'thas might have to have thrown away his feelings as part of his process with Revendreth to let go of his more negative emotions. Might make for some spicy political intrigue, though -- the Daughter of the Sea pining for the last Crown Prince of Quel'thalas practically writes its own Scarlet Propaganda Papers.

As for the Windrunner sisters, I don't think any of them subscribe to the monarchy anymore. It's basically defunct and has been for ages. If any of them got along with Kael at this point, it would be of mutual respect and wouldn't have much if anything to do with his position. Sylvanas, if any of them, would be the only one to really remember him as if I recall Alleria went missing for like 1k years so Kael would be just a blip in her memory at this point. Veressa meanwhile has been with the Alliance for ages and Kael'thas if anything would fall among the Blood Elves, on the opposite side of the faction war. Sylvanas and her people used to be on very good terms with the Blood Elves, and may still be among loyalists and depending on what happens in SL, but from what the raid has shown so far it may not be likely Sylvanas and Kael would be on good terms considering her allying with the Jailer making things uneasy for a while even if she was absolved. A redeemed Kael might find something to relate to in Sylvanas if she is shunned by the lot of the Horde, though. And even then, Sylvanas had a lot more established with Lor'themar before the whole war went down. If she was absolved, Lor'themar would probably be a more interesting angle to see interaction with. I'd be far more interested in what Lor'themar would have to say to Sylvanas in that kind of situation than Kael (especially with Thalyssra in the mix), but the mutual shared suffering situation may be something interesting to explore one day if it ever came up. Maybe Sylvanas and Kael on their redemption paths in Revendreth together could be a thing? Depends on Sylv's punishment and whether the community would be down for it, I suppose.
    Last edited by Razion; 2021-05-30 at 05:27 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think any of them would really care.

Jaina, I doubt she’d care tbh. She’s faced far worse opponents before, anyway. So, her seeing Kael atone for his sins and whatnot would prolly make her smile or summ.

As for the sisters? They’d prolly want him pumped full of led.

The correct answer here is that it's complicated. Alleria would view him both positively and negatively. Positively, because he sought to use a dark power for good, to save his people's addiction, and because he organized the regrouping and ensured the survival of his race after Quel'Thalas fell. Negatively, because he ultimately succumbed to the insidious power of Fel, a warning to all those who seek to use these dark powers for their own ambitions. So Alleria would both pity and distrust Kael'thas, maybe she would even look down on him and say something like "Not all minds can control the darkness for good. Some are simply shattered by it."
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you asking why Jaina, who was the object of Kael'thas affections for quite some time, would view Kael'thas?

???

10+ Year Old Account
    All would see him negatively I'd reckon. Jaina would as a result of his role in TBC's conflict and her impression of Blood Elves in general following Theramore and Darnassus regardless of their old friendship or if he harbors feelings for her still. As for the Windrunners, Alleria would clearly be angry about the fact he sided with the force that she had been fighting against for years, used power she doesn't agree with and that he also abandoned his people, Sylvanas would be annoyed that he abandoned their people and caused her troubles when she first tried to bring the Blood Elves into the Horde and not to mention the fact he helped the Burning Legion and Vareesa would hate him as he's a Blood Elf and she just hates Blood Elves now.

I doubt they'd have any nuance or consideration for similarities in plights when all of these characters have been shown to react rather than think regarding things they dislike.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    He isn't potential filled human male so i doubt any of them would be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    Jaina and Kael'thas were old friends from Dalaran - now that Jaina has arguably surpassed even Kael'thas, what do you think would happen if the two of them met in the Shadowlands, would Jaina easily defeat him in a real fight? Would they still be friendly to each other - there might be considerable tension because of the faction conflict, Kael'thas being attached to the blood elves, especially after what Jaina did to them - but it's possible Kael'thas still has feelings for Jaina deep down inside, and it must be admitted, he acknowledges the void elves as his kin as well.
    1) Yes, Jaina would wipe the floor with him now. Jaina has developed both as a mage as well as a person a lot while while Kael is still the arrogant brat he was 20 years ago. The Accuser says it best: "He is also an arrogant selfish moron". His magic is pretty good, certainly surpassing the average Fire Mage, but he is worlds apart from Jaina, who freezes a square mile of the ocean and makes a ship fly simultanously.

2) Would they be friendly to each other? Uh... are you forgetting that Kael betrayed Azeroth to the Legion and tried to kill us all? Jaina might be okay with the Blood Elves leaving the Alliance under him, but that part is pretty difficult to just ignore.
    If he actually seaks forgiveness I think Jaina might accept this and give him a chance, but he has a long way to go before she treats him as a friend again, he has just screwed up too much since then and he doesn't seem that eager for repentence yet. Not to mention that Jaina was always a bit reserved with him, since he clearly wanted more then friendship and she did not. That always makes a real friendship... difficult to say the least.

And regarding the three Windrunner sisters - Alleria, Sylvanas and Vereesa - how do they regard Kael'thas, their former prince and last royal ruler? I think Alleria and Sylvanas could perhaps sympathize with Kael'thas - Alleria was friends with Lothraxion despite all the atrocities he committed for the Legion, and probably understands the lure of good intentions while struggling against the temptations of darker powers; she also understands his attachment to humans and trying to avoid being isolationist, by engaging with other cultures and being part of the world beyond Quel'Thalas. Sylvanas, whom Kael'thas also loved and who rejected him in life, might also recognize in him a somewhat kindred spirit, one who was betrayed by his allies, rejected by the humans, and who has suffered tremendously while trying to protect the people they love - their people, in fact. Vereesa, I'm not sure...she married Rhonin, who probably knew Kael'thas from their time in Dalaran, but other than falling in love with a human mage who studied in the city, there seems no direct connection or commonality.
    Sylvanas will never sympthize with anyone, because she is sociopath and thus incapable of empathy.

Vereesa seems to have quite the grudge against the Blood Elves, mainly because they had a hand in killing her husband in Theramore. Remember that a lot of the bloodshed during the Purge of Dalaran was because of her Silver Covenant, not because of Jaina. So I doubt she will even try to understand Kael, who started the Blood Elves on that path. Probably she would consider him an archtraitor to the High Elves and put an arrow between his eyes. She is likely not going to care more about the royal line then the Forsaken would care about Arthas' claim to the Throne of Lordaeron.

Alleria was always the second most harsh of the Windrunner sisters and she was ready to even kill Sylvanas for her deeds. She'd kill Kael without hesitation, but she is also more pratical then the other two, so she might see a use in the former prince and give him a chance to do some good. If he does, she might let him live, but I very much doubt any feeling of familiarity would enter into that relationship.
    Last edited by Raisei; 2021-05-26 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    1) Yes, Jaina would wipe the floor with him now. Jaina has developed both as a mage as well as a person a lot while while Kael is still the arrogant brat he was 20 years ago. The Accuser says it best: "He is also an arrogant selfish moron". His magic is pretty good, certainly surpassing the average Fire Mage, but he is worlds apart from Jaina, who freezes a square mile of the ocean and makes a ship fly simultanously.

2) Would they be friendly to each other? Uh... are you forgetting that Kael betrayed Azeroth to the Legion and tried to kill us all? Jaina might be okay with the Blood Elves leaving the Alliance under him, but that part is pretty difficult to just ignore.
    If he actually seaks forgiveness I think Jaina might accept this and give him a chance, but he has a long way to go before she treats him as a friend again, he has just screwed up too much since then and he doesn't seem that eager for repentence yet. Not to mention that Jaina was always a bit reserved with him, since he clearly wanted more then friendship and she did not. That always makes a real friendship... difficult to say the least.

Sylvanas will never sympthize with anyone, because she is sociopath and thus incapable of empathy.

Vereesa seems to have quite the grudge against the Blood Elves, mainly because they had a hand in killing her husband in Theramore. Remember that a lot of the bloodshed during the Purge of Dalaran was because of her Silver Covenant, not because of Jaina. So I doubt she will even try to understand Kael, who started the Blood Elves on that path. Probably she would consider him an archtraitor to the High Elves and put an arrow between his eyes. She is likely not going to care more about the royal line then the Forsaken would care about Arthas' claim to the Throne of Lordaeron.

Alleria was always the second most harsh of the Windrunner sisters and she was ready to even kill Sylvanas for her deeds. She'd kill Kael without hesitation, but she is also more pratical then the other two, so she might see a use in the former prince and give him a chance to do some good. If he does, she might let him live, but I very much doubt any feeling of familiarity would enter into that relationship.
    Jaina and Kael'thas would probably bow respectfully to each other...Jaina saying, "Prince Kael'thas," and Kael'thas replying, "Lady Proudmoore". Then turn and walk their separate ways. It would be interesting if the two rekindled any kind of friendship though...they've both changed so much, and have become so much darker and more hardened individuals than when they first met in Dalaran all those years ago.

I personally think Kael'thas should join the Horde, honestly, it would be an interesting twist to his people's story - and further complicate things with Jaina and the three sisters if they ever confronted each other. (Magister's Terrace was one of my favorite dungeons.)
    Last edited by OwenBurton; 2021-05-30 at 04:43 PM.
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

Are you on a streak? Why are you making so many new threads? Slow it down mate.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    He isn't potential filled human male so i doubt any of them would be interested.
    Well, Jaina happens to be the only one who isn't into human males. She would rather !@#$ dragons
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Jaina and Kael'thas would probably bow respectfully to each other...Jaina saying, "Prince Kael'thas," and Kael'thas replying, "Lady Proudmoore". Then turn and walk their separate ways. It would be interesting if the two rekindled any kind of friendship though...they've both changed so much, and have become so much darker and more hardened individuals than when they first met in Dalaran all those years ago.
    I really don't think Jaina has or should have any respect for Kael. Maybe in the past when he really cared about his people and left the Alliance because of Garithos. That much she would totally understand and support, hell, even a hardass like Shaw is supportive of Garithos fate. But the stuff after that, allying with the Legion and the whole "drowning our world in blood" stuff is not really something that deserves her respect.

If and when he atones for that in Revendreth things might change, but at the moment even the dead Kael seems to have very little care for his crimes. He is following the Accusers orders because she is more powerful and promised him something in return (his freedom), not because he actually thinks he needs redemption. That is pretty much the exact reason for all his problems. He never cares about the endgame of the people he takes orders from, Illidan, Kil'jaeden, the Accuser, he only follows them because he gets something out of it for himself. Consequences be damned.

I personally think Kael'thas should join the Horde, honestly, it would be an interesting twist to his people's story - and further complicate things with Jaina and the three sisters if they ever confronted each other. (Magister's Terrace was one of my favorite dungeons.)
    I suppose. Since he is a Blood Elf that would be the place for him to go and the Horde hasn't had any problems with megalomaniac elves going insane and trying to destroy the world late... wait...

I doubt even the Horde would take him. The Belfs consider him a traitor, the Nightborne would be reminded of Elisande, who mirrors his story pretty damn well. The Orcs might be somewhat understanding, having been in a pact with KJ themselves, but Kael was never decieved like they were.

He hasn't exactly left things on Azeroth better, so he would first need to do a lot of redeeming if he wants to be accepted into either of the factions. The Horde might take him because the writers decide it, but it wouldn't make much sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Well, Jaina happens to be the only one who isn't into human males. She would rather !@#$ dragons
    Uhm, yes, except that her main love interest for halve of her life was a blonde human male...

Also don't forget that the dragon's forms aren't just masks they use to hide what they are, they are an expression of themselves, Kalec looks like a Halve-Elf because he feels like one, being a dragon is just the form he was born with.

But also it seems they are seperated by now. Haven't seen them together or even heard Jaina mention his name. Maybe that is a hint that her Prince returns now, though that would be complicated.

It would all be negatively. That's what I believe anyways.. Kael had a crush on Jaina back in the day and she didn't care much for him. Jaina has gone through a lot of growth since then (actually did a lot of actual development on her in BFA. Hoping she takes the back burner for a bit..) but I feel she would probably have pity on him. I think that is just as negative ultimately. Windrunners? How could they possibly like Kael? He failed to protect their home. Which ok I could potentially see them coming to acceptance of it was inescapable.. but the route he took afterwards for his people. I just don't see how they would view him favorably.. maybe someone out there knows something I do not.
    Last edited by Icelin; 2021-06-01 at 07:44 AM.

dANUSer would have it so they immediately befriend him because it'd be convenient to whatever half-assed plot he had in mind for his next lore interview