Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

A different point of view regarding TBC Cash Shop.

I keep seeing people raging on the WoW Forums and WoW You tubers reacting to "TBC Classic Cash shop", which I find hypocritical.

Blizzard announced a WoW TCG card game in 2006 Oct alongside (3 months later) WoW TBC.
    After that, those TCG cards provided unique cosmetic rewards in game which was based on luck.
    A very good ca$hcow for Blizzard back in the day.

People are crying about the Reawakened Phase-Hunter mount in Deluxe TBC Classic
    yet you could purchase Spectral Tiger for irl money back in the day and even now;
    https://wowwiki-archive.fandom.com/w...Spectral_Tiger
    another tcg mount:
    https://www.wowtcgloot.com/x51_netherrocket.htm
    another tcg mount:
    https://www.wowtcgloot.com/big_battle_bear.htm
    Y'all get the point.

Some may argue that WoW TBC Classic would not be authentic without the TCG rewards, so Blizzard implemented a direct way to get those items, since TCG won't work in TBCC.

Trust me, I would be shocked if Blizzard decides to implement a cash shop in WoW Classic, since it never existed back in 2004, but TBC+ I was not surprised.

TLDR: Blizzard Cashshop was thing in TBC onwards, but it was structured differently. Not to mention in game services, like Name change/Realm Transfer.

I always wondered... did anyone actually play the TCG game?
    "For Teldrassil."
    Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

you are right, it was an issue back then as well - but only very few people had the wisdom to identify it.

today, with extremely smart people like Asmongold having a massive audience, it's become clear to pretty much everyone why micro/macro-transactions have no place in an MMORPG.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I always wondered... did anyone actually play the TCG game?
    There was a small but devoted fanbase but it didn't surpass the big 3 in tcgs

Quote Originally Posted by Savant View Post
    I keep seeing people raging on the WoW Forums and WoW You tubers reacting to "TBC Classic Cash shop", which I find hypocritical.

Blizzard announced a WoW TCG card game in 2006 Oct alongside (3 months later) WoW TBC.
    After that, those TCG cards provided unique cosmetic rewards in game which was based on luck.

yet you could purchase Spectral Tiger for irl money back in the day and even now;
    another tcg mount:
    another tcg mount:
    Y'all get the point.

Some may argue that WoW TBC Classic would not be authentic without the TCG rewards, so Blizzard implemented a direct way to get those items, since TCG won't work in TBCC.

Trust me, I would be shocked if Blizzard decides to implement a cash shop in WoW Classic, since it never existed back in 2004, but TBC+ I was not surprised.

TLDR: Blizzard Cashshop was thing in TBC onwards, but it was structured differently. Not to mention in game services, like Name change/Realm Transfer.
    I'm against an ingame cash shop outside of providing things like namechange and stuff.

I dont think buying cosmetics or power is good for the game. I dont think it was good for the game back then either.

Every single unique flying mount they add to the game makes the other unique flying mounts less prestigous

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    I'm against an ingame cash shop outside of providing things like namechange and stuff.

I dont think buying cosmetics or power is good for the game. I dont think it was good for the game back then either.

Every single unique flying mount they add to the game makes the other unique flying mounts less prestigous
    Which just mean that you care too much about pixels. If you cry about a Mount being less "prestigous" in a game because People can get more stuff... Like... What? Did you just even use that as an argument?

Dont get the Mount or anything else in the shop of you dont want to. Come back and complain when they actually gain an advantage over other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan2 View Post
    you are right, it was an issue back then as well - but only very few people had the wisdom to identify it.

today, with extremely smart people like Asmongold having a massive audience, it's become clear to pretty much everyone why micro/macro-transactions have no place in an MMORPG.
    ....the fact that the most successful non wow MMOs make most of their money from microtransactions shows this is kinda a lie

Also macro transactions...like do you even know what that is?

Haven't some of these outraged YouTubers actually bought the stuff from the TBC shop that they are so outraged about?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    Haven't some of these outraged YouTubers actually bought the stuff from the TBC shop that they are so outraged about?
    Yea, I think asmong bought boost only idk

If they don't buy it how would they show people what to not buy

I mean if they reproduce the card game and sell packs and randomly people can get stuff from them then I wouldn't have a problem with that like I didn't have a problem with it then. But if they want to just put these items on the shop and everyone has a see though tiger than what's the point besides Blizzard getting a ton of money for not much work.

another tcg mount:
    another tcg mount:
    Y'all get the point.

It's not that it wasn't an issue back then, it was too rare to become an issue. You had what? 2-3 people per server with the tiger or rocket?

Another aspect is that it kind of devalues the other rewards in the game. Thankfully the phase hunter mount is quite crap.

Anyway why insist having rewards in a store instead of getting them by .. you know .. playing the damn game. From a player perspective of course, for blizzard it makes total sense to milk the idiot whales, if they're willing to throw the money.

And they could have handled this in a much better way, like putting out a physical CE like the 15th anniversary with a an action figure or something and a 1 month code that had a guaranteed chance to contain one of the one of the toys and very rarely the mount when used and that can only be used once per account (to prevent ebaying).
    Last edited by kranur; 2021-05-29 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I mean if they reproduce the card game and sell packs and randomly people can get stuff from them then I wouldn't have a problem with that like I didn't have a problem with it then. But if they want to just put these items on the shop and everyone has a see though tiger than what's the point besides Blizzard getting a ton of money for not much work.
    Yes, have a lottery where people who actually wants the Mount have to pay huge dumps of money for it on Ebay and get scammed.

Smart!

I don't know that - would be interesting to know (and how their "fans" reacted to it.

I bought a couple of mounts - and would say the Fairie dragon is fairly unique, the others I didn't really regret buying, but could have done without.

However...here are my grey areas...and I have yet to see pll bitch about it: Gold sink mounts (like the spider and brutosaur) - I got my spider pre-tokens, so no real money involved. The brutosaur is from another time, technically through the token..wouldn't it also become a "cash shop mount"?

How about CE mounts? I pay 40 Euros more, get an artbook, a pet, a mount..now even a transmog.

How about RAF rewards?

Let us not forget: When ppl released the Swine of Fortune only in China, ppl complained so hard, that eventually it was sold here as well. It is the (to some people apparently the sad and frustrating) truth - that a company will do whatever it takes to get your money...and especially when people even scream "take my money" at them.

I mean..you see it in all areas, ppl whining how things "should be" - commercial sports being an example. But as I see it, all you can do is boycott it...speak out against it..and hope enough people act the same to make a difference.

It was a way for them to boost TCG sales for sure but there is still a difference between buying booster packs and hoping for the small chance of getting the loot card that you want versus just selecting the item that you want in a store and be done with it. Both suck but they are not equal.

As far as I know you could never directly buy the specific loot card from Blizzard, only packs (even then through 3rd party retailers) so you'd have to buy them from a 3rd party through ebay or equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    If they don't buy it how would they show people what to not buy
    Hahaha, made my day

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    Yes, have a lottery where people who actually wants the Mount have to pay huge dumps of money for it on Ebay and get scammed.

Smart!
    Yup, seems like if the need for pixels out weight common sense then you risk it for the bisket. (I mean people are dropping 25 bucks if not more for pixels already so intelligence is probably low in the field anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    It was a way for them to boost TCG sales for sure but there is still a difference between buying booster packs and hoping for the small chance of getting the loot card that you want versus just selecting the item that you want in a store and be done with it. Both suck but they are not equal.

As far as I know you could never directly buy the specific loot card from Blizzard, only packs (even then through 3rd party retailers) so you'd have to buy them from a 3rd party through ebay or equivalent.
    The whole thread is not about comparing today's/years ago finicial stracture, but to emphazie that all those cashshop things existed with tbc, regardless if someone got the rewards of tcg, at the end of the day, blizzard made big bucks from it

The whole thread is not about comparing today's/years ago finicial stracture, but to emphazie that all those cashshop things existed with tbc, regardless if someone got the rewards of tcg, at the end of the day, blizzard made big bucks from it
    So what are we talking about now? Impact on the game or impact on blizzard's pockets?

It did not exist, while obtained externally, you didn't have the option to enter a shop pick a mount and have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan2 View Post

ROFL. What's "extremely smart" about being nothing more than a hypocritical troll that capitalizes on the hatetrain against blizzard?