Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Exclamation Aaron Taylor-Johnson Cast as 'Kraven the Hunter' for Stand-Alone Film

    SOURCE: https://deadline.com/2021/05/kraven-...in-1234764921/







    Aaron Taylor-Johnson has been cast as lead role in Sony’s Marvel film Kraven the Hunter. Deadline first reported last summer that J.C. Chandor would direct the film, which is a new entry in Sony Pictures’ universe of Marvel characters.


    One of Sony Pictures’ universe of Marvel characters, Kraven is one of the most iconic and notorious antiheroes. He has had encounters with Venom and Black Panther, among many others, and is one of Spider-Man’s best known and most formidable enemies. The film is set to bow on January 13, 2023.


    Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are producing, with the screenplay written by Art Marcum & Matt Holloway and Richard Wenk.


    Insiders say Taylor-Johnson came on studio execs radar for the part after dailies for his upcoming action pic Bullet Train started coming in where his scenes would blow away top brasss. Taylor-Johnson plays one of the main assassins in the pic and according to one source, his scenes with Brad Pitt were so impressive that the studio acted fast to get him on the phone with Chandor.


    While the role carries a ton of heft, insiders say some of the actors like Tom Hardy who are now playing comic-book characters, helped ease the pressure of taking on the role and after that one phone call, Chandor and Taylor-Johnson hit off that a deal was sealed fairly quickly.


    He is repped by WME and Brillstein Entertainment Partners.


    Ehhh... I mean, I don't find him a bad actor. I just don't really see him as Kraven.


    And also I will wait until I see 'Morbius' before feeling excited about Sony's stand-alone films. I enjoyed 'Venom' and I'm sure the next one will be fun too... we'll see.

  2. #2
    He doesn't strike me as a grizzled veteran hunter. He lacks a few years if ever should meet Tom Holland in a spiderman movie.

  3. #3
    Over 9000! Kyphael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    9,208
    I would have cast Karl Urban myself.

    Also, guess the MCU will need a new Quicksilver for their X-Men movies.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I would have cast Karl Urban myself.

    Also, guess the MCU will need a new Quicksilver for their X-Men movies.

    Meh, I could personally do without Quicksilver showing up in the MCU again. He's been there, done that (catalyst for Scarlet Witch development) and I'd much rather have another X-Men character have his spot.

  5. #5
    Get Jon Hamm in the gym and that would be a solid fit.

  6. #6
    Joe Manganiello is the one to play him. If it was up to me that is :P

  7. #7
    Over 9000! Kyphael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    9,208
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Meh, I could personally do without Quicksilver showing up in the MCU again. He's been there, done that (catalyst for Scarlet Witch development) and I'd much rather have another X-Men character have his spot.
    They didn't do his character justice by any stretch of the imagination, though. He was very generic. I want the actual comics version of Quicksilver come to life. Arrogant, brash, and trying to prove himself worthy of leading mutants to Magneto. I hope they use take another crack at him.

  8. #8
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    11,078
    The lovable looking Hunter :P

  9. #9
    I'll wait until I actually see something from the movie itself before passing any negative judgement, but I'm super open to a Kraven movie, whoever it is playing him. Just make the movie good and it'll be fine.

  10. #10
    ugh, and just the other day I heard the rumor that Willam Dafoe would return as Norman Osborne in the next Spiderman movie. is the trend here now that we're out of superhero's to give origin movies to and now we have to do the villains? because we have that Mobius movie on it's way as well... so Venom, Mobius and Kraven, are the sinister six going to be the next avengers or something? like I cannot understand why villains need entire movies dedicated to their origins.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    ugh, and just the other day I heard the rumor that Willam Dafoe would return as Norman Osborne in the next Spiderman movie. is the trend here now that we're out of superhero's to give origin movies to and now we have to do the villains? because we have that Mobius movie on it's way as well... so Venom, Mobius and Kraven, are the sinister six going to be the next avengers or something? like I cannot understand why villains need entire movies dedicated to their origins.
    The same way heroes need movies dedicated to their origins, to build their story for future events. To give them another dimension beyond the 2D.

    Could be worse, we could go back to seeing yet another actor play Peter Parker in yet another origin movie for Spider-Man.

    And why on Earth would the Sinister Six be the new Avengers? Surely they'd be the new group of bad guys for Spider-Man movies going forward...

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The same way heroes need movies dedicated to their origins, to build their story for future events. To give them another dimension beyond the 2D.

    Could be worse, we could go back to seeing yet another actor play Peter Parker in yet another origin movie for Spider-Man.

    And why on Earth would the Sinister Six be the new Avengers? Surely they'd be the new group of bad guys for Spider-Man movies going forward...
    IDK the way they are making these Spiderman villains out to be anti heroes or full on heroes and this being put out not by Marvel but Sony leads me to that conclusion.

    they are never going to do another PP origin story, they kind of lampooned that with into the Spiderverse.

  13. #13
    I was reading some articles saying this was bad news for the integration of Sony's Universe of Spider-Man characters (or whatever they call it). I was thinking, what are they talking about?!

    If them casting an actor who already played a part in the MCU means there is less chance the two universes will merge (which it doesn't necessarily means, but that was what the article author implied) then this is great news! I don't want Sony's universe to merge with the MCU. I hope Spider-Man can stay in the MCU, but that Marvel gets the rights back within the next 5-10 years so that these Spider-Man side characters can be rebooted for the MCU (provided the upcoming multiverse stuff hasn't ruined the franchise for me by that time).

    On that note, I really hope Blade will be introduced in his pre-daywalker state. And that that the rights reverts to Marvel soon enough that we can have a Spider-Man movie where Peter Parker is going to university, so that a rebooted Morbius (yes, rebooted from a movie that isn't even out yet!) can be his teacher before he turns into a creature of vampirism, and that when he does Blade comes to town to hunt him down, meets Spider-Man investigating the same thing, teams up, gets injected with the serum to become the Daywalker, defeats Morbius, and through that first encounter with Spider-Man gets involved with the rest of the MCU heroes.

    Not to mention I'd like to see a Fantastic Four movie where they bring back the symbiote from space, and that Spider-Man is in that movie, and that he is the first to wear the symbiote, before it gets to Eddie Brock in a post-credit scene of that movie before he gets a larger introduction.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by THC BANDIT View Post
    Joe Manganiello is the one to play him. If it was up to me that is :P
    He isn’t a good actor, thou.
    Twitter & DeviantArt
    Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman

  15. #15
    Holy crap I hate this casting choice! Ive never really like the actor in anything he has been in and absolutely does not look the part.

    I personally would like to see Tom Hardy as he is more then capable of bulking the heck up to play a proper Kraven and hes an exellent actor. I know thats impossible due to him playing venom however :P Jeffrey Dean Morgan also I think would be a great choice as long as he can pull of a european accent.

    Just look at kraven he is massive and ripped as fuck and also old and grizzled

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    They didn't do his character justice by any stretch of the imagination, though. He was very generic. I want the actual comics version of Quicksilver come to life. Arrogant, brash, and trying to prove himself worthy of leading mutants to Magneto. I hope they use take another crack at him.
    Quicksilver hasn't been trying to prove anything to Magneto for a very long time. He's also never been all the interested in leading mutants. Unless you count the Age of Apocalypse or Ultimate versions of the character (which I don't because those are separate realities from the main marvel continuity). In fact, the latest retcon of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch is that they are not Magneto's children or even mutants. Although that retcon was spawned by issues between Marvel and Fox...it was a retcon of a previous retcon which made them Magneto's kids. Now that Disney owns both Marvel and Fox...the next retcon may retcon the retcon of the original retcon though.

    I just used the word "retcon" 4 times in the same sentence, 3 times in the sentence before that, and 9 times in a single paragraph...that's comic books for you.

    He's also more solidly grounded in Avengers lore than X-Men. Sure, he was in the Original Brotherhood of Evil Mutants but only briefly and the closest he's been to an X-Man is a few stints in X-Factor (which, during the periods he was a member were only very loosely connected to the X-Men). In contrast, he's been a member of many different formations of the Avengers and even a teacher at Avenger's Academy (as opposed to teaching at Xavier's School)

    He is brash and arrogant though. Or has, as Val Cooper calls it, PMS (Pietro Maximoff Syndrome)




  17. #17
    lol David lynch with the untied sneakers is certainly a look.

  18. #18
    But is the movie based on "Kraven's Last Hunt?" That's the only real storyline I'd want a movie for.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Holy crap I hate this casting choice! Ive never really like the actor in anything he has been in and absolutely does not look the part.

    I personally would like to see Tom Hardy as he is more then capable of bulking the heck up to play a proper Kraven and hes an exellent actor. I know thats impossible due to him playing venom however :P Jeffrey Dean Morgan also I think would be a great choice as long as he can pull of a european accent.

    Just look at kraven he is massive and ripped as fuck and also old and grizzled
    And how would you handle a Venom/Spider-Man movie with Kraven in it? Not saying it will happen but you can’t cast these people in multiple movies like this.

    Same goes with this guy. I like him but he shouldn’t be here. He was quicksilver, it’s over now he can’t be in marvel anymore.

    I think that having someone like Karl Urban or even Manu Bennett would be a good choice

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    But is the movie based on "Kraven's Last Hunt?" That's the only real storyline I'd want a movie for.
    Weirdly, I really believe the ~25 years of him being considered kind of a joke villain is important to KLH. It kinda makes him more of a tragic character. Which is one of the greatest Spider-Man storylines and why bringing him back from the dead is one of the worst decisions in Spider-Man history (which has a lot of bad decisions).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbidaggy View Post
    Same goes with this guy. I like him but he shouldn’t be here. He was quicksilver, it’s over now he can’t be in marvel anymore.
    Tell that to Chris Evans and Michael B. Jordan.

    It's important to note that the characters in Sony's "Spider-Man" Universe are not actually part of the MCU...even though Spider-Man himself is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •