Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    You understand terms change over time right? Originally Anglo-Saxon were the German inhabitants of England In like the middle ages. now to most people when referring to Americans it means white English-speaking people.
    who can be of Irish, Swedish, Italian, or Slavic decent. why you're so hung up on the Anglo Saxon part is really weird dude.

10+ Year Old Account
    You understand terms change over time right? Originally Anglo-Saxon were the German inhabitants of England In like the middle ages. now to most people when referring to Americans it means white English-speaking people.
    Then those people are wrong and ignorant as fuck and that, to be blunt, is not my problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    now to most people when referring to Americans it means white English-speaking people.
    It really doesn't.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    It really doesn't.
    Don't know where you are from, but where I am from, it does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    *gestures*

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Then those people are wrong and ignorant as fuck and that, to be blunt, is not my problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where I'm from you're either factually right or factually wrong about something. There isn't a third option to ignore facts and redefine reality to avoid having to learn or better yourself.
    /s

Where I'm from you're either factually right or factually wrong about something. There isn't a third option to ignore facts and redefine reality to avoid having to learn or better yourself.
    If we are talking about american as citizen of the USA, then when said, american usually refers to english-speaker.

10+ Year Old Account
    If we are talking about american as citizen of the USA, then when said, american usually refers to english-speaker.
    If you can't be bothered to keep up with the thread discussion go knuckledrag somewhere else.
    /s

If you can't be bothered to keep up with the thread discussion go knuckledrag somewhere else.
    The discussion is not that interesting to begin with. Just reacting to the quote you quoted.

WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant) originally referred to the English, Scottish and Welsh immigrants that settled in and formed the bulk of the Colonial/Post-Independence American population, but due to immigration, the title of "honorary WASP-hood" was granted to German and Scandinavians among other groups.

So, it's...messy, but in general WASP in modern context would probably refer to basically "General White Americans" that are Protestant and of Northern/Western European-descent who don't really have a strong ethnic identity like Italian-Americans, Polish-Americans, Ashkenazi Jews, Criollo Spaniard Cubans, etc.
    They are often referred to as the 'old immigrants'. WASPs originally came from northern Europe, especially from Britain, Ireland, Germany and Scandinavia. Immigrants from these countries continued to migrate to America throughout the 19th century.
    Sociologists sometimes use the term WASP to broadly include all Protestant Americans of Northern European or Northwestern European ancestry, regardless of whether they have British ancestry. The term is also used in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.