Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Old God Lore and their known number of in existence

I had the shower thought about how we know that all Old Gods are dead. But do the people on Azeroth know? Are the Alliance and Horde looking for more or do they just keep on waiting for more to pop up or not?

Iam not sure if Magni can just confirm all of them being dead or that anyone is alive and old enough to know for sure but the keeper. And even they missed the one who is locked in the artifact dagger
    Last edited by ArenaDk; 2021-05-31 at 11:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would assume the general populace of Azeroth -- not the heroes (us) or important lore characters -- are aware they are dead. At least... dead in the common sense.

Personally don't think they are aware of the aspect of Old Gods either A.) not truly dying, B.) Old Gods being so rooted into Azeroth that killing them is a bad idea, or C.) some of them (Yogg-Saron) seemingly returning.

The way I see it, they were aware of the first initial menace the Old Gods caused at their time of being a menace. C'Thun back during vanilla timeline and the war effort in Silithus, Brann and Rhonin declaring the problem at Ulduar with Yogg-Saron, and then N'Zoth's assault on Azeroth which is known to the entire planet. All of those respective times we have come out the victors so I would think the general population just thinks that: the Old Gods are defeated. Whether that means dead, dormant, whatever.

TL;DR: I don't think the common person of Azeroth is aware of the specifics of Old God lore themselves. Ignorance is bliss.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    some of them (Yogg-Saron) seemingly returning.
    Is Yoggy returning? How comes?

OT: it would be nice to have a glimpse every now and then about the thoughts of your everyday orc or dwarf commoner, not only about OGs but also about e.g. the 4th War or the Scourge running rampant across all of EK (and presumably Kalimdor as well?). Dealing with godlike entities all the time gets boring real fast.
    Last edited by Soon-TM; 2021-06-01 at 03:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Uhm...

You do realize Old Gods can still whisper, even after dying correct? We had an ENTIRE EXPANSION based around that.

I would assume the general populace of Azeroth -- not the heroes (us) or important lore characters -- are aware they are dead. At least... dead in the common sense.

Personally don't think they are aware of the aspect of Old Gods either A.) not truly dying, B.) Old Gods being so rooted into Azeroth that killing them is a bad idea, or C.) some of them (Yogg-Saron) seemingly returning.

The way I see it, they were aware of the first initial menace the Old Gods caused at their time of being a menace. C'Thun back during vanilla timeline and the war effort in Silithus, Brann and Rhonin declaring the problem at Ulduar with Yogg-Saron, and then N'Zoth's assault on Azeroth which is known to the entire planet. All of those respective times we have come out the victors so I would think the general population just thinks that: the Old Gods are defeated. Whether that means dead, dormant, whatever.

TL;DR: I don't think the common person of Azeroth is aware of the specifics of Old God lore themselves. Ignorance is bliss.
    So much headcanon in this post lol

Yes they truly die, they just leave desecration in their wake. Sure there might be ways to revive them, but that doesn't make them different than mortals then.

They were rooted yes, but that just meant you couldn't just yank them out like the titans tried.

Yogg is not "seemingly returning"

3+ Year Old Account
    I thought they were as 'countless as the stars'?
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    I thought they were as 'countless as the stars'?
    Lore flat out tells you that 99% of what the void tells you is a lie, but one that you'd likely believe.

Then again the Old Gods are pretty much Void Lord sperm cells so there could be millions of them in the void.

There are books sitting around openly in some inns that tell the legends of the Old Gods, and many quest npcs now have knowledge of corruption in zones they occupy and that cults related to old gods have had much to do with it.

Also worth noting, large scale events like the Cataclysm and Black Empire rise would be more known than say, War of the Shifting Sands that took place forever ago, or even huge sites like the sword in the head in Darkshore probably isn't known or remembered by many except elves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    So much headcanon in this post lol

Yes they truly die, they just leave desecration in their wake. Sure there might be ways to revive them, but that doesn't make them different than mortals then.

They were rooted yes, but that just meant you couldn't just yank them out like the titans tried.

Yogg is not "seemingly returning"
    How is it head canon? Yogg was whispering us directly when we went to Ulduar during the Legion pre-expansion quests.

And, I’m saying that I’m not sure if the general population is as in-depthly aware of everything that happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is it head canon? Yogg was whispering us directly when we went to Ulduar during the Legion pre-expansion quests.

And, I’m saying that I’m not sure if the general population is as in-depthly aware of everything that happens.
    They can still whisper, even in death. Just look at mist of pandaria, y'shaarj is clearly dead yet his influence still lingers.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

He was repeating whispers he already said. And he was creating spawns called "Saronite Echoes" or something in that scenario.

This is similar to how dead Y'shaarj spawned Sha. He even says as much when he dies. "The shadow of my corpse will choke this land for all eternity". In which he both calls himself a corpse (dead), and predicts his shadow will be on the land, same as it was for Y'shaarj.

The Old Gods are dead. (Though N'Zoth's essence may yet persist in the dagger) It's been confirmed in multiple places.

What's more recent is that an interview stated that, like Demons, Old Gods are not of this realm, and have a place they return to, when they die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just had a thought myself. We ever going to get a real name for whatever 'species' the Old Gods are? They are specifically called 'Old Gods' because they are some of the oldest beings, the ones who ruled the planet before the trolls, the titans, and the elves. We ever going to talk to a Void Lord and brag about how we killed the Old Gods and the Void Lord is going to say, "Oh, you mean the grgshbibblevs? We've got millions of those floating around. You guys actually thought they were gods? How cute. My cousin breeds them as a hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstOnes View Post
    Uhm...

You do realize Old Gods can still whisper, even after dying correct? We had an ENTIRE EXPANSION based around that.
    Dead? Y'shaarj's heart was still beating. We had an entire expansion based around snuffing out an old god that was still alive, and on the cusp of reforming himself. The Sha being literal manifestations of each of his eyes, and all.

Not to mention the mantid saying their masters can rise once again. Downright seeming like they fully expect it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    He was repeating whispers he already said. And he was creating spawns called "Saronite Echoes" or something in that scenario.

This is similar to how dead Y'shaarj spawned Sha. He even says as much when he dies. "The shadow of my corpse will choke this land for all eternity". In which he both calls himself a corpse (dead), and predicts his shadow will be on the land, same as it was for Y'shaarj.

The Old Gods are dead. (Though N'Zoth's essence may yet persist in the dagger) It's been confirmed in multiple places.

What's more recent is that an interview stated that, like Demons, Old Gods are not of this realm, and have a place they return to, when they die.
    See above.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    They can still whisper, even in death. Just look at mist of pandaria, y'shaarj is clearly dead yet his influence still lingers.
    >"Clearly dead"

>Heart still beating until Garrosh crushed it open on his forehead and chugged it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Dead? Y'shaarj's heart was still beating. We had an entire expansion based around snuffing out an old god that was still alive, and on the cusp of reforming himself. The Sha being literal manifestations of each of his eyes, and all.

Not to mention the mantid saying their masters can rise once again. Downright seeming like they fully expect it.

- - - Updated - - -

See above.

- - - Updated - - -

>"Clearly dead"

>Heart still beating until Garrosh crushed it open on his forehead and chugged it
    Sounds like a chicken without a head.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

>"Clearly dead"

You're interpreting an incomplete dataset. The Old Gods have been confirmed dead lots of times. There have been several interviews. Including one I can't find at the moment that stated Y'shaarj was dead, and that Garrosh only managed to resurrect his heart to a living state.

We're in full agreement that Old Gods aren't like mortals. Their bodies, corruption and whispers linger. Their very shadows manifest spawns in their image. And it's certainly possible to resurrect them, if you were to have enough power to do so.

But that doesn't mean they aren't dead. Their souls have returned to their realms. Short of extreme intervention, these corpses aren't going to come back to life. The Devs have confirmed their bodies are dead. Even Yogg-Saron declares himself to be a corpse, in his final words. Old Gods may not rest in peace, but in rest, they definitely are.

- - - Updated - - -

See above.

- - - Updated - - -

>"Clearly dead"

To be frank, it was beating because the Heart was tossed into the pools in the Vale - they contain waters from the Well of Eternity. The same waters of the Vale stream down to fuel Pandaren crops which grow abundant with life. The same waters evolved the Murlocs to Jinyu and Dark Trolls to Night Elves. Magic Well Juice pumping the Heart with effectively lightning to restart it seems like the least the pools are capable of. We should be glad Garrosh didn't research the pools and actually harness it with finesse or the Old God might have evolved or something.

Nevertheless we know Y'shaarj is dead because with their death the Sha basically became defunct with the Sha Prime all gone.

- - - Updated - - -

See above.

- - - Updated - - -

>"Clearly dead"

His heart was still beating. Sure. Doesn't mean the Old God was alive. Old Gods don't function like mortal beings. That's the whole fucking point.

- - - Updated - - -

Y'shaarj was always stated to be "The dead Old God" or "The first Old God to fuckin die" in the Chronicle.

3+ Year Old Account
    So there I was...in the Silithus desert...hundreds of miles from civilization...
    Quote Originally Posted by ArenaDk View Post
    I had the shower thought about how we know that all Old Gods are dead. But do the people on Azeroth know? Are the Alliance and Horde looking for more or do they just keep on waiting for more to pop up or not?
    Only Y'shaarj is dead. As for Yogg/C'thun/N'Zoth, we've only killed their avatars. Their presences still lurk within Azeroth, much like Lavos in Chrono Trigger (an obvious influence on the Old God lore). Cho'gall even tries to resurrect C'thun's avatar at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by ArenaDk View Post
    Iam not sure if Magni can just confirm all of them being dead or that anyone is alive and old enough to know for sure but the keeper. And even they missed the one who is locked in the artifact dagger
    Yes, Xal'atoth is out there somewhere, as well. I'm looking forward to the Old God Council-style raid boss encounter where we have to fight all 3 at once...perhaps with Xal'atoth's help? They do seek to consume the other Old Gods, after all. It's been stated that the final form off the Black Empire would have seen a single Old God rise triumphant over the others, before finally merging with/consuming Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    This leads me to believe that Old Gods souls return to the Void Lord that spawned them with all the information they acquired.
    For all we know the Void Lords know precisely what and where Azeroth is and mayhap they are throwing more Old Gods as reinforcements.
    Assuming ofcourse the one we dealt with weren't reinforcements to begin with.