Blizzard needs to make their mind up with Arcane

Are we ranged? Are we melee?

Arcane Explosion and Shifting power both require you to be close to your targets. Not close-close mind you but close enough for it to be inconsistent with the rest of our kit.

Battlemages or turrets, instead of some weird mix pick one and focus on making it the best it can be.
    Corporate wishes everyone a happy new year

In some respects, it's still a loose adherence to D&D-style Wizards and spellcasters, as you could have an assortment of long/mid/short/touch-ranged abilities depending upon your specialization. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, as long as the content makes it feasible to use. There's quite a bit of movement options available to mages in general, let alone Arcane, in case you need to shift your position for various spells.

Personally, I wish there was an actual Battlemage option in the game ever since vanilla after seeing the caster mobs in human side of Strat. Anyways, that's just an aside.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

I feel like some mages would complain if they had no 'close range options'.

Thing is, all targeted 40yd spells can be used close. When mages say they want close tools I think utility is more what they want -- ways to cc and generate distance specifically for pvp. I don't think mages actually want to be doing their full rotation in pve as melee unless they're advocating for melee mage.

Generally I think Arcane should be ranged, and if there wer going to be a melee mage type, that's more the area new classes like Runemaster or Dragonsworn or Spellbreaker or Shadow Hunter or Warden could address (among others, like how DH is melee Warlock or Paladins melee Priest).

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    I feel like some mages would complain if they had no 'close range options'.
    I agree with this but I feel like there's a middle ground where Arcane is given an ability like Arcane Explosion to unstealth rogues or whatever it does in PvP but have their main AOE damage dealer is ranged.

they have, they decided it should just be a meme in all content.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    I agree with this but I feel like there's a middle ground where Arcane is given an ability like Arcane Explosion to unstealth rogues or whatever it does in PvP but have their main AOE damage dealer is ranged.
    Yeah, I think that's best.

I'm totally on board for reworking Arcane into a melee dps/tank spec or going entirely for a new arcane melee class like Razion mentions above. Spellblade/Battlemage/Spellbreaker, whatever you call it.

Having the majority of the toolkit being a stand at range and nuke turret type, mixed in with 10 yards aoe feels clunky. I'm used to playing it as I love the overall theme of arcane magic, but it's nowhere an elegantly designed playstyle. It feels like the design goes in two directions with neither being round up and fully realized.

Fire and Frost specs are far more consistent, the entire damage dealing toolkit is ranged, with some 10 yard utility mixed in, such as Cone of Cold and Dragon's Breath. Not to mention that Supernova should be baseline similar to DB and CoC being base, but that's another topic.
    Last edited by Trumpcat; 2021-05-31 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    I'm totally on board for reworking Arcane into a melee dps/tank spec or going entirely for a new arcane melee warrior class like Razion mentions above. Spellblade/Battlemage/Spellbreaker, whatever you call it.

Having the majority of the toolkit being a stand at range and nuke turret type, mixed in with 10 yards aoe feels clunky. I'm used to playing it as I love the overall theme of arcane magic, but it's nowhere an elegantly designed playstyle. It feels like the design goes in two directions with neither being round up and fully realized.

Fire and Frost specs are far more consistent, the entire damage dealing toolkit is ranged, with some 10 yard utility mixed in, such as CoC and DB. Not to mention that the Supernova CC should be baseline similar to Dragon's Breath being base, but that's another topic.
    As much as I too crave an Arcane Warrior spec with Survival Hunter being the mess that it is, with many still wanting it to return to its old iteration spec reworks of the degree that Arcane would need aren't going to happen again. No matter how good Melee Arcane would be there would always be those who would be dissatisfied with it.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    As much as I too crave an Arcane Warrior spec with Survival Hunter being the mess that it is, with many still wanting it to return to its old iteration spec reworks of the degree that Arcane would need aren't going to happen again. No matter how good Melee Arcane would be there would always be those who would be dissatisfied with it.
    Yeah and that's the main reason the class design in retail feels a decade old, because some players lose their minds whenever something changes. Of course Survival is a weak spec, although that's not because it was reworked to be melee, but because its numbers are low. All the MM hunters would be Survival today if it were doing the big numbers instead.

With how conservative Blizzard is with class design I expect Arcane to remain as it is and doubt new class announcements are coming at all. It's a pity, I used to look forward to class changes the most in a new expansion. Would still love to be surprised with bold modern redesigns for 10.0. We got vanilla, TBC and I'm sure there will be Wrath as well, for those who prefer the 15 years old designs.

I've given up on them fixing Arcane's core problems and just roll with the punches. Never really feeling good, always some short-coming or another. Then time to time it gets buffed to being god tier DPS and we all go for it. CN was kinda close to being that, but still you gave a lot not being Fire for Slug prog. And dps for the most part didn't matter past that till P3 Sire.. And well we do have the memest Arcane Execute there, but Fire still feels more rounded.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Personally, I wish there was an actual Battlemage option in the game ever since vanilla after seeing the caster mobs in human side of Strat.
    Don't we all. Sadly there's no way it could happen. At least with current sizes and the amount of melee specs. It would have to replace a melee specs spot to ever be played and make melee even more mad.

Just give arcane a glyph to toggle arcane explosion to be able to cast at the target's location, problem solved.
    (Also stop reworking anything into melee specs, this game doesn't need them)

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Personally, I wish there was an actual Battlemage option in the game ever since vanilla after seeing the caster mobs in human side of Strat. Anyways, that's just an aside.
    There is. Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Ham on Rye View Post
    There is. Enhancement Shaman.
    Only there isn't.

You said it youself Enhancement Shaman.

Closest we're going to get? Probably. Battlemage? Absolutely not.
    Last edited by LarryFromHumanResources; 2021-06-01 at 03:07 AM.

I can't complain that Arcane Explosion is a melee range since I had problem placing Blizzards properly. Now I just don't need to worry about it.

Do not touch my arcane mage. Still outdpsing all those fotm warriors on m+ and raid. So thanks but no thanks.