Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Classic Community - what happened?

We all read the threads, many of us had input in the threads - talking about how horrible the community is in modern gaming and how amazing the classic community would be. It was all sunshine and roses, everyone helped each other, and it was entirely inclusive. Any spec, any class, any skill level - all playing together in perfect harmony. It was about the journey, not the destination, and everyone would take their time and enjoy the ride. We were all told that none of that nasty "modern gamer" attitude would be welcomed in Classic, and at the first sign of a negative player, they would be blacklisted by the strong classic server community.

What happened? Just look at this forum: look at the pure vitriol over a silly mount, the hatred for anyone paying for a boost, the disgust for those buying runs through dungeon, and for those selling runs through dungeons. The mob mentality over anything and everything that could possibly create division within the community - why is this community hell bent on destroying itself over such frivolous things? Where has all this negativity come from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    We all read the threads, many of us had input in the threads - talking about how horrible the community is in modern gaming and how amazing the classic community would be. It was all sunshine and roses, everyone helped each other, and it was entirely inclusive. Any spec, any class, any skill level - all playing together in perfect harmony. It was about the journey, not the destination, and everyone would take their time and enjoy the ride. We were all told that none of that nasty "modern gamer" attitude would be welcomed in Classic, and at the first sign of a negative player, they would be blacklisted by the strong classic server community.

What happened? Just look at this forum: look at the pure vitriol over a silly mount, the hatred for anyone paying for a boost, the disgust for those buying runs through dungeon, and for those selling runs through dungeons. The mob mentality over anything and everything that could possibly create division within the community - why is this community hell bent on destroying itself over such frivolous things? Where has all this negativity come from?
    Humans happened.

Some believe they are better than others and believe they hold a right to gloat over it.

But, I do believe this thread will be closed soon, sorry.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    People won't suddenly change. Sad but true. I've also noticed that classic is plagued by tryhard hardcore players. It feels like all the casuals are happy with retail and stick to it. Maybe I've been just unlucky or I should try to dig deeper. I'm sure there are nice casual guilds around but feels damn hard to find one (that does raids)

However, I think it is still far more easier to be a jerk in random dungeon because it is automated and cross realm. You will never see them again so who cares? But that is only for dungeons anyways.

In case you are not aware

Asmongold is the one who started this /spit thing

Asmongold fans /spitting on other players are not "the community"

Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post

To be clear, this is NOT a thread about that specifically, that's simply ONE example of the behavior and attitudes of SOME parts of this community being the polar opposite of what many expected. That topic has been discussed to death, just like sparkle pony, just like raf, just like the helms.

This is more a discussion about the community as a whole. I watched a clip on YouTube of some streamer (not one of the big ones) in a raid in like...MC from memory, and the raid leader was going off on this epic power trip - it was INSANE, all over someone pulling threat from the tank on a trash pull, in MC, in classic. Not the world first race and someone taunted the boss by mistake, no, a random pug MC, with a raid leader treating it like lives were on the line.
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

People butthurt that people bought a mount.

People butthurt that people harass them for buying a mount.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

To be clear, this is NOT a thread about that specifically, that's simply ONE example of the behavior and attitudes of SOME parts of this community being the polar opposite of what many expected. That topic has been discussed to death, just like sparkle pony, just like raf, just like the helms.

This is more a discussion about the community as a whole. I watched a clip on YouTube of some streamer (not one of the big ones) in a raid in like...MC from memory, and the raid leader was going off on this epic power trip - it was INSANE, all over someone pulling threat from the tank on a trash pull, in MC, in classic. Not the world first race and someone taunted the boss by mistake, no, a random pug MC, with a raid leader treating it like lives were on the line.
    Well yeah, world first players are generally good players that laugh off mistakes and carry on. The loudest cry babies I've ever met in WoW, retail or Classic were players that would struggle to clear Heroic levels of content.
    I did a BWL with my guild a while back, I was a social. I got chewed out for not tranqing the boss on my assigned rotation. I received no whisper about me tranqing, there were 3 other Hunters who were all raider rank.
    Turns out, without being told I was supposed to have a Classic WA that auto assigned Tranqs, for a 55 second fight. Ho Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by DazManianDevil View Post
    Well yeah, world first players are generally good players that laugh off mistakes and carry on. The loudest cry babies I've ever met in WoW, retail or Classic were players that would struggle to clear Heroic levels of content.
    I did a BWL with my guild a while back, I was a social. I got chewed out for not tranqing the boss on my assigned rotation. I received no whisper about me tranqing, there were 3 other Hunters who were all raider rank.
    Turns out, without being told I was supposed to have a Classic WA that auto assigned Tranqs, for a 55 second fight. Ho Boy.
    I can certainly understand people wanting to perform at their best, but like you said, thats a pretty bloody silly expectation in any scenario other than a guild going for a speed clear or something.

The game was monetized mostly with blizzards support. On live its countless groups spamming lfg with ads and its bleed over to classic. Massive amounts of boosts and gold selling are occurring unchecked.

What is happening is what you get when a company gives up on monitoring its community its rather like lord of the flies.

I'm leveling my belf paladin right now and everyone is very welcoming and friendly. People randomly buffing me all the time. Inviting me to help with quests and random small talk.

If you buy boosts, however, don't prepare for the content you are doing and expect to be carried - yes you are having a bad time and that's good.

For anyone interested in having his/her blood boil from this Asmongold hot take about the /spit situation (that started with him)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBgN54205jA&t=7m55s

Im not a Asmon hater by the way.
    I watch his streams casually and i totally expect to have my blood boil by his hot takes OR sometimes agree with him.
    Is like a surprise box

If im not in the mood to have my blood boil...i just dont watch the stream

This hot take...is incredibly bad IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post
    The game was monetized mostly with blizzards support. On live its countless groups spamming lfg with ads and its bleed over to classic. Massive amounts of boosts and gold selling are occurring unchecked.

What is happening is what you get when a company gives up on monitoring its community its rather like lord of the flies.
    For the record, selling boosts for in-game gold has never been and likely never will be against the rules in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post

Sadly fam: asmongold is the community

Time to pack up and go home right lolol

OnTopic: sucks to suck, if someone is offending you OP, put them on ignore - nobody cares about this cucked version of wow anyway

People realized that while you can play a game from 15 years ago, you can't play it with people from 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    People realized that while you can play a game from 15 years ago, you can't play it with people from 15 years ago.
    100% sure you couldn't buy store mounts and level boosts 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    100% sure you couldn't buy store mounts and level boosts 15 years ago.
    tcg is store mount with 1 extra step and gambling rng. so you would be 100% wrong, like usual
    RAF

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    tcg is store mount with 1 extra step and gambling rng. so you would be wrong, like usual
    RAF
    Are tcg mounts store mounts? Whoever you are - keep trying.

You didnt comment on the RAF part? Why is that?

YES. they are. you literally had to go to a store. BUY them with money. gamble in hopes you get the mount, and redeem it in game. literally a store mount without a user friendly interface.

You didnt comment on the RAF part? Why is that?
    Why he ignored the boosted part? Netpicking?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    YES. they are. you literally had to go to a store. BUY them with money. gamble in hopes you get the mount, and redeem it in game. literally a store mount without a user friendly interface.
    Open ingame shop and select spectral tiger. Can you? I can buy the warp stalker this way.