TBC aggro issues

I'm playing with a prot pally and he seems to be having a lot of aggro issues.

He's rolling with the boosted gear and a few TBC items so far and I have a mix of boosted, strat and TBC gear.

I play a holy priest and I keep pulling aggro even after he pulls a single mob. He picks up the mob and then I start using smite and it comes right for me.

It's even worse in dungeons as I just see mobs running after every DPS, but I guess that's an issue for the Dps as they open before he even has time to get aggro on one mob.

Is there anyway of keeping aggro on him?

I mean he's not a bad tank or anything, on retail he's a KSM tank but I feel like this aggro lose might stop him from keep tanking in TBC.

He defo has Righteous Fury active? I only ever have problem if I forgot about it for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Healzerbot View Post

He's rolling with the boosted gear and a few TBC items so far and I have a mix of boosted, strat and TBC gear.

I play a holy priest and I keep pulling aggro even after he pulls a single mob. He picks up the mob and then I start using smite and it comes right for me.

It's even worse in dungeons as I just see mobs running after every DPS, but I guess that's an issue for the Dps as they open before he even has time to get aggro on one mob.

I mean he's not a bad tank or anything, on retail he's a KSM tank but I feel like this aggro lose might stop him from keep tanking in TBC.
    I struggle to think how he can easily lose aggro with righteous fury active and using consecration. Paladin is the best aoe tank in TBC.

sounds like they are missing RF unless he is very badly geared
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Yeah he probably doesn't have Righteous Fury active, since you don't need crap stances like that in Retail he probably just isn't used to it.

(Also, if he is losing mobs to your smite how do you expect him to keep aggro vs real DPS classes? :P)

He has RF active all the time and I'm holy.

He has RF active all the time and I'm holy.
    Well the boosted gear sucks so that might be a good reason.

Missing RF is the obvious one, but it seems that's alrerady been covered. Repeatedly. Is he specced into Improved RF? It makes a huge difference too.

The other elephant in the room is to ask what kind of gear is he wearing? I know you said it's from the boost, but the bits he's picked up in TBC are they Str/Agi based pieces, or ones with Spell Damage? Paladin threat scales with spell damage, so that should be the priority to help ramp threat up more. Is he using Exorcism? There are quite a few Demon mobs in HFP where it's a huge chunk of extra threat too.

Don't take this the wrong way but being a KSM level tank doesn't equate to much, especially when looking at the differences of Classic tank design. I have a friend, KSM Prot Warrior who doesn't press shield block and he back pedals out of volcanic.

In SL threat is almost totally a non-issue compared to being under-geared in a Classic setting, where threat is the name of the game.
    If he has Righteous Fury up, casts Avenger Shield, uses seals/judges and positions his consecration he can't lose aggro in this scenario.
    Again not trying to be a dick but I agree with most other posters, there's something missing to evaluate.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Paladin threat scales with spell damage
    This. When I played Prot Pally back in TBC, I had some threat issues until I got a spell power weapon, then the threat issues went away.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Righteous Fury and Kings for yourself and Salv for the rest of them. That'll do about 75% of what you need done, done. Just do dps and the rest will fall into place.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Missing RF is the obvious one, but it seems that's alrerady been covered. Repeatedly. Is he specced into Improved RF? It makes a huge difference too.

The other elephant in the room is to ask what kind of gear is he wearing? I know you said it's from the boost, but the bits he's picked up in TBC are they Str/Agi based pieces, or ones with Spell Damage? Paladin threat scales with spell damage, so that should be the priority to help ramp threat up more. Is he using Exorcism? There are quite a few Demon mobs in HFP where it's a huge chunk of extra threat too.
    This all day.

Obviously make sure he's specced into improved Righteous Fury - That is an absolute must.

Secondly, he needs to stop thinking he's a warrior or druid tank. What I mean by that is he needs to stop buying "...Champion" greens. You know the ones with Strength/Stam/Def on them. Defense is great, but doesn't do jack to help a Paladin hold threat. What he needs to Stam/Intellect/Spellpower. A "good" Prot Paladin will have nearly 200 Spell damage at any given time. With my Pre-BiS I have nearly 300 SP, and yes even sometimes I lose aggro (without using salv).

In conclusion: Spec into Improved Righteous Fury - Buy greens with Spell power, I recommend any plate gear with "...sorcerer". He'll look more holy than prot. (He will need defense, but it should be mixed in).

Also, he needs to make a list on where to get his pre-heroic gear at.

I also recommend this guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqjL8wy28ic&t=305s

I know this thread has been silent for a while but I needed to correct some posts here to help other prot pallys get into tanking more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by endorus View Post
    hit raiting?
    No. Just no. Hit rating is the least required for a prot pally. Even less than avoidance or block value.

Quote Originally Posted by Diatribe View Post
    Righteous Fury and Kings for yourself and Salv for the rest of them. That'll do about 75% of what you need done, done. Just do dps and the rest will fall into place.
    Also not quite true. As a prot pally please buff yourself with Blessing of Sanctuary - not kings. If you are tanky enough you should also swap devotion aura to retribution aura.

This rotation should do:
    1. Buff yourself with Righteous Fury
    2. Have Blessing of Sanctuary active
    3. Acitvate Seal of Rightneousness
    4. Throw Avenger's Shield (use CDs beforehand)
    5. Cast Holy Shield
    6. Judgment! + Consecration
    7. Activate Seal of Vengeance
    repeat from 5

This is really basic but it will do. Tell the group to have the mobs hit you first in order to build aggro. Consecration alone does not hold up against dps. Threat comes through Blessing of Sanctuary and Holy Shield mostly.

The single most important thing to know about a prot pally - and I can't stress this enough and I am shocked I even have to say this with all the spells a prot pally uses - is SPELLPOWER.
    Defense Rating -> Stamina -> Spellpower. That's it.

He needs spell power to hold aggro... No spell power, no aggro... He should be looking for as much SP as possible while still being able to live.