Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Free WoW Limitations - is it worth?

it? I am currently unsubbed and would like to introduce a friend to WoW.

As someone who pretty much plays to level alts as a casual, I'm thinking of creating every class on every race on both factions and leveling them up to 20 for free.

I figured it would save a year worth of sub money and at the same time gives me the chance to play WoW unlimited and experience every expansion's questing content, tho you cannot go beyond level 20, but still, at least you would know which toon to level further once you decide to re-sub.

Anyone has done the same thing while playing other games? Figured this would be the best way to get my WoW fix every now and then and not feel like being pressured to level up quickly and make the most out of the subscription. Also allows me to enjoy other games at the same time.

Would you recommend doing the same thing to a new player who has never played WoW before?
    Last edited by kharabiku; 2021-06-04 at 11:52 AM.

You can hit 20 in 2-3 hours tbh. It's not much of a trial

FF XIV's trial feels far more substantial.

Level 20 isn't even remotely enough time to decide whether or not you'll like a class. You can get there in under an hour.
    The vast majority of specs you don't even really get to experience how it plays until mid 40s at least.

I’ll just stick to free WoW until Paragon (4th) specs are released. As it is, I’m not really that interested in current content beyond what free WoW has to offer. Will resub when 4th specs are added as end game hero specs that are basically legion artifact 2.0 but permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by kharabiku View Post
    I’ll just stick to free WoW until Paragon (4th) specs are released. As it is, I’m not really that interested in current content beyond what free WoW has to offer. Will resub when 4th specs are added as end game hero specs that are basically legion artifact 2.0 but permanent.
    Which will basically be....never.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Which will basically be....never.
    Which basically means I get to enjoy WoW for free while enjoying other games both mmo and other types.

Which basically means I get to enjoy WoW for free while enjoying other games both mmo and other types.
    Good for you

yeah, leveling 1-20 is somehow very enjoyable
    i have too much of blood elf toons just cuz i like being in Ghostlands
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

I am currently unsubbed and would like to introduce a friend to WoW.

As someone who pretty much plays to level alts as a casual, I'm thinking of creating every class on every race on both factions and leveling them up to 20 for free.

I figured it would save a year worth of sub money and at the same time gives me the chance to play WoW unlimited and experience every expansion's questing content, tho you cannot go beyond level 20, but still, at least you would know which toon to level further once you decide to re-sub.

Anyone has done the same thing while playing other games? Figured this would be the best way to get my WoW fix every now and then and not feel like being pressured to level up quickly and make the most out of the subscription. Also allows me to enjoy other games at the same time.

Would you recommend doing the same thing to a new player who has never played WoW before?
    I have done this, though mostly out of neurological issues that aversely affect decision making capacity and stress experience*.

It doesn't work for the purpose you describe, as you basically do not get to experience the gameplay at all. Neither your class rotations nor toolset will be complete, your mount speed and flying (both crucial for experiencing the world in an enjoyable way) are absent.
    As such it is only useful to who are content to experience only a taste.

Also it takes only the slightest time investment, as opposed to the actual end-game (which some of my friends have aptly nicknamed "World of Waiting"... for the damn groups).

However if you're into RP as i am then it certainly works, as you can test to see if your idea works well enough with the way the game is played / your faction's style / etcetera.

*: Brain is functionally half functional, as in passive shit doesn't work so it's all on "manual" conscious mode or it doesn't happen, leading to a permanently exhausted brain with many quirks, though no cognitive impairment.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iosdeveloper View Post
    yeah, leveling 1-20 is somehow very enjoyable
    i have too much of blood elf toons just cuz i like being in Ghostlands
    Oh yeah, Ghostlands must be one of my favourite zones in the entire game, along with Eversong <3

But honestly, the free version of WoW is just... Lol. At level 20 you barely have a hint of how your chosen class/spec plays at max level, not even lolbm. If I was the OP, I really wouldn't bother downloading the bloated retail client just to play the free version.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Oh yeah, Ghostlands must be one of my favourite zones in the entire game, along with Eversong <3

But honestly, the free version of WoW is just... Lol. At level 20 you barely have a hint of how your chosen class/spec plays at max level, not even lolbm. If I was the OP, I really wouldn't bother downloading the bloated retail client just to play the free version.
    I’ve been enjoying every moment of the bloated game client. It gives me unlimited free access to 8 expansions via Chromie time.

No offense, but what is there to even enjoy in f2p WoW at that level? You can’t really do dungeons. You Can’t talk in chat. You can’t experience 80% of your classes toolkit...

Tbh, WoW free trial is hilariously and woefully outdated. It’s built like it’s 2007 still, not 2021

Swtor, eso, ff14... pretty much every other mmo out there offers free trials that are vastly superior

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    No offense, but what is there to even enjoy in f2p WoW at that level? You can’t really do dungeons. You Can’t talk in chat. You can’t experience 80% of your classes toolkit...

Tbh, WoW free trial is hilariously and woefully outdated. It’s built like it’s 2007 still, not 2021

Swtor, eso, ff14... pretty much every other mmo out there offers free trials that are vastly superior
    You can do all dungeons from all expansions except for the most current one which then gets added to the roaster when the next expansion is released.

5+ Year Old Account
    I’ve been enjoying every moment of the bloated game client. It gives me unlimited free access to 8 expansions via Chromie time.
    Good for you. But if you are enjoying it to such a degree, why bother making a thread? It is quite clear that you do find it worthy, there is no need to ask a question if you have already made up your mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Has something that cool ever been discussed anywhere ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ek0zu View Post
    Has something that cool ever been discussed anywhere ?
    Not officially, but there's a thread on this forum about it

You can do all dungeons from all expansions except for the most current one which then gets added to the roaster when the next expansion is released.
    I mean, that’s fair and all and I didn’t realize that, but the dungeons aren’t exactly paragons of story telling either.

I just don’t see what you get out of this free trial that 101 other games couldn’t give you better, deeper experiences with free trials

Eso, ff14, swtor, and many more offer much better trial experiences IMHO

Just my 2 cents is all my dude, not bashing you I’m bashing the WoW trial itself as being the bare minimum

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    I mean, that’s fair and all and I didn’t realize that, but the dungeons aren’t exactly paragons of story telling either.

I just don’t see what you get out of this free trial that 101 other games couldn’t give you better, deeper experiences with free trials

Eso, ff14, swtor, and many more offer much better trial experiences IMHO

Just my 2 cents is all my dude, not bashing you I’m bashing the WoW trial itself as being the bare minimum
    I’m also playing the other games you mentioned and more

WoW will always be my main game but it doesn’t mean I’m married to it or have to play its most recent retail content if I’m not interested in it.

I’m also playing the other games you mentioned and more

WoW will always be my main game but it doesn’t mean I’m married to it or have to play its most recent retail content if I’m not interested in it.
    no doubt and i commend you for that. I was just making sure you weren't handicapping yourself to only the wow free trial when its arguably the worst free trial in MMORPG landscape, it's a decade behind the times in many ways.

plus with the rise of f2p games the last 5-6 years... there's always greener pastures my dude for a free player than WoW currently.

good for you for branching out, have a good weekend

I don't think wow's free trial is actually that good of a trial. Leveling isn't really what wow is about and unless your friend likes killing defenseless mobs in one or two attacks its not going to give them a very good impression of the game.