Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What are some obscure TV shows/movies you love?

Or loved

I would say
    Emmerdale
    Waterloo Road
    Basil Brush

Rome - An HBO show that aired from 2005-2007. Fantastic series that doesn't get enough attention. They ran their budget too high at a time when HBO wasn't as popular as it is now.

Crashing - Another HBO show centered on a comedian. I'm a fan of Pete Holmes.

The Place Beyond the Pines - Something about this film still sticks with me today. Was a pretty moving watch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Queer as Folk (USA), young me who downloaded 100 series to just watch the first episodes and delete if I didn't like it didn't even knew it was going to be a 'gay' show, got hooked and weirded out at the same time at episode one and it's now one of my favourite and i'd say the most important show for me personally I watched.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Dream confirmed.

We are sharing it, it seems.

If it ever becomes available on dvd...

Live action movies
    • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
    • Roman Holiday
    • The Guns of Navarone: British agents sneak past German lines to infiltrate a naval fortress and blow up gigantic guns to allow an allied naval invasion to proceed.

Live action TV shows
    • Little House on the Prairie (up until the last season or 2)
    • Bonanza
    • Signal (Korean Drama, is quite popular over there, but ofcourse Kdramas are unheard of here in the West). Is about a police detective who finds a walkie talkie that can communicate with another police detective in the past, and they work together to solve cases.

Anime
    • Seirei no Moribito: show is set in fantasy medieval Japan. Is about a female bodyguard who is hired by the empress to hide and protect the prince from being assassinated by his father the king. Comfy/dramatic slice of life anime. Great music.

Other
    • Thunderbolt Fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    • Bonanza
    Bonanza lasted 14 seasons(second longest running western serties of all time, behind Gunsmoke), did extremely well in the ratings for most of it's run, was nominated for multiple Emmys and Golden Globes awards, has made TV Guide's "top 50 shows of all time" list multiple times, and still runs in syndication to this day...is that really an "obscure" series? It's an older series sure, but not exactly an unknown one.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Bonanza lasted 14 seasons(second longest running western serties of all time, behind Gunsmoke), did extremely well in the ratings for most of it's run, was nominated for multiple Emmys and Golden Globes awards, has made TV Guide's "top 50 shows of all time" list multiple times, and still runs in syndication to this day...is that really an "obscure" series? It's an older series sure, but not exactly an unknown one.
    It's obscure today. Nobody talks about it anymore, unless maybe you're an old guy posting on an really old magazine or website forum. I'd dare say even Star Trek is starting to become obscure (last show popular Trek show people cared about ended 22 years ago). You don't see people discussing TOS or TNG episodes on message boards today (maybe trekbbs forums for old fans trekkies but that's it). Just because a show is brought up a lot in articles as being an important or famous show historically doesn't mean most people have actually seen it.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Uncle Buck
    Rango
    Kung Fu Hustle (sub version only...the dub version is horribly bad)
    Dark City
    Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
    Fletch
    Something Wicked This Way Comes

TV series:
    Sharpe

Movie:
    Sucker Punch
    The Day of the Jackal (1973)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    It's obscure today. Nobody talks about it anymore, unless maybe you're an old guy posting on an really old magazine or website forum. I'd dare say even Star Trek is starting to become obscure (last show popular Trek show people cared about ended 22 years ago). You don't see people discussing TOS or TNG episodes on message boards today (maybe trekbbs forums for old fans trekkies but that's it). Just because a show is brought up a lot in articles as being an important or famous show historically doesn't mean most people have actually seen it.
    If you go to forums and message boards you don't see a lot of people talking about Elvis, Hank Williams, or The Bee Gees either. It doesn't make them obscure, it just means they're not as popular with a younger, more modern audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post

If it ever becomes available on dvd...
    I remember watching this show when it came out. It was not bad but not great. I think you can see it on the chiller channel or horror channel on cable or satellite.

Six feet under
    Oz
    The League

Kind of related but Invincible was my favorite comic when I worked at the shop but almost no one bought it and I could never get anyone new to try it. I went so far as to offer to loan the first trade to some of the regulars and none of them took me up on it.

More recently it got a show and is already green lit for 2 new seasons and people are making memes with it and its wonderful.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

For comedy the Fast Show though it's hard to get ahold of and idk if it's shown on any steaming services. It was popular in the uk but didn't get much play over here.

dunno how obscure it is but Fido is a fun spin on the Zombie genre.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

That would be a show where you didn't reply

10+ Year Old Account
    Is 'Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee' considered obscure a movie choice? If so, then that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Kind of related but Invincible was my favorite comic when I worked at the shop but almost no one bought it and I could never get anyone new to try it. I went so far as to offer to loan the first trade to some of the regulars and none of them took me up on it.

More recently it got a show and is already green lit for 2 new seasons and people are making memes with it and its wonderful.
    A friend of mine was also into it and tried to get us to read it and had no takers. Hopefully he is feeling some vindication now as well.
    /s