Question Pandaren Monk question

I was just wondering, would a Pandaren monk would have different beliefs and philosophy compared to other monk races? afaik Pandarens are the one who taught other races the ways of the monk, (I might be wrong tho). And what religion does the pandarens have? I always head canon that they revere the August Celestials as gods and my character often prays to the Jade Serpent and consider him a servant of Yu'lon and a novice Mistweaver.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    While the Pandaren do revere the August Celestials, I don't really know if it's an aspect of a true religion and thus don't know if it is part of their teachings insofar as the Monk classification is concerned. I would imagine that Monks of different races probably maintain their own beliefs (e.g. Scarlet Monks retain their views of the Light), but dovetail Pandaren teachings and/or secular philosophies into them.

Probably fine to have a Pandaren that does have a personal and more religious view of the August Celestials, as those kinds of Pandaren are definitely present in the lore, such as Liu Flameheart being a priestess of the Jade Serpent herself.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Anyone can believe in anything in the setting. Faith is a product of free will - any race can believe in or revere any religion or gods they choose. It is their choice.

Monk isn't even a class that requires faith to function, as it's a martial class that functions on INNER chi, not outward cosmic forces.

Philosophy for Pandaren monks is more a way of life for Pandaren due to the Sha, but the Sha NOW are no more.

As far as other races go they can adopt Pandaren teachings and be a Pandaren style monk or they can decelop their own martial arts and be a monk that way.

To think of it another way, many races are present at Brewfest and all have some unique booze, brewing, and traditions there - it'd be no different from learning to fight. But, if you learned either from a Pandaren directly you may be inclined if at first to take on aspects of that.

We mechanically fight lots of brawlers and various hand-fighters and see various body-powers from all sorts.

To directly answer the question, I think it's a case by case basis for the character, and what tells the best story. It can be either in lore.

Faith and religion doesn't actually make sense in WoW, since 'gods' are literal and physical beings. The celestials actually exist. They simply revere them.

Quote Originally Posted by fairfang View Post
    I was just wondering, would a Pandaren monk would have different beliefs and philosophy compared to other monk races?
    Tushui and Huojin "philosophies" originated on the Wandering Isle. Wandering Isle Pandaren who joined a faction may have carried those beliefs back to mainland Pandaria.

It should be noted that Liu Lang left mainland Pandaria about 800 years ago. Wandering Isle Pandaren probably aren't as calm or zen as mainland Pandaren, who have the threat of Mantid invasions hanging over their necks, band yet have to stay calm due to the ever present threat of the Sha. Those threats didn't exist on the Wandering Isle, so Pandaren from there are probably better able to speak free or express their emotions in jest (again, Pandaren aren't very violent).

What religion does the pandarens have?
    Mainland Pandaren are basically expies of the Chinese. They don't really "worship" a god or deity like Western religions worshipped Roman gods or Jesus and such. They recognize the August Celestials as wise, supernatural beings, but don't worship them. Mainland Pandaren revere the emperor.

Wandering Isle Pandaren might worship the elemental spirits on the island, as Wandering Isle Pandaren can become shamans (we never see any Pandaren shamans on the mainland).

Both mainland and wandering isle Pandaren revere their ancestors.