Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

I know I can't be the only one intrigued by content gated by flying?

Am I the only one who thinks that special areas that you can't visit unless you are able to FLY to them? Imagine a huge fortress in the sky, a vendor somewhere you can't reach unless you fly, something like that?

I think that Blizzard should re introduce flying specific destinations, especially considering that flying in SLands is gated behind just regular content and isn't a rep grind this time, it's apart of the campaign story.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

I mean I bloody loved the world from TBC to end of Mop due to how much I could explore by flying. Its one of the things I miss now that blizz has decided it can't handle flight properly anymore.

The world felt big and expansive and mine to explore.

Now everything feels so small and constricted, and yeah there's nothing to fly too anymore because nothing is designed with it in mind anymore.

Way to ruin one of the unique appeals of this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that special areas that you can't visit unless you are able to FLY to them? Imagine a huge fortress in the sky, a vendor somewhere you can't reach unless you fly, something like that?

I think that Blizzard should re introduce flying specific destinations, especially considering that flying in SLands is gated behind just regular content and isn't a rep grind this time, it's apart of the campaign story.
    I would welcome it but I know for a fact that a large group of vocal people would not.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Plenty of those in the game. Ogri'la, Skettis, etc.

Nothing really special about that sort of 'content gated by flying' as you put it.

No but I care so utterly little for world content that if you deleted every second of the world i couldn't see flying to a dungeon i would never notice.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I do miss having things to explore after getting flying. Christ, even Draenor had a metric ton of hidden treasures that flying made easier to snag. Legion, as much as loved so much of what it did, really didn't capitalize the map design toward flying at all; a trend which continues to this day.

Quite sad. Loved Netherwing dailies, Storm Peaks/Icecrown's huge vertical design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    I mean I bloody loved the world from TBC to end of Mop due to how much I could explore by flying. Its one of the things I miss now that blizz has decided it can't handle flight properly anymore.

The world felt big and expansive and mine to explore.

Now everything feels so small and constricted, and yeah there's nothing to fly too anymore because nothing is designed with it in mind anymore.

Way to ruin one of the unique appeals of this game.
    Same. I loved those hidden nuggets and scattered easter eggs that it gave us. Jade Forest for example is full of them. The peaks outside the coast always offer me something to look at.

Just the fact that you could see something high up and it teased you until you could actually fly and see it for yourself. It really tickled my exploration bone.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Plenty of those in the game. Ogri'la, Skettis, etc.
    point is those are OLD. in recent expansions there have not been (m)any places you can only reach by flying. it makes exploring much more fun when flying not just makes things easier but opens up new things too

Flying needs to be embraced as it's never going away and the damage has been done.

Design for flying in mind fully and update the flying animation to be on level with Guild Wars 2 flying animations.

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    I really liked the highest point marker in Highmountain. You could trek up there but to just fly up there was pretty cool.

Would be far more interesting if flying wasnt just the ability to noclip around the world unhindered.

Maybe if the flying worked more like how it does in games like Guild Wars 2 where you need to factor in momentum and such then flying could be balanced around, but currently there is no way to balance it except removing it, either by making flying unfeasible with instakill mortars or similar, or simply not letting you fly at all.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    point is those are OLD. in recent expansions there have not been (m)any places you can only reach by flying. it makes exploring much more fun when flying not just makes things easier but opens up new things too
    It does not matter they are old. They were exactly the sort of content the OP seems to want, people did those, and they were nothing special. There's no exploration to be had, or at least more than any ground location.

Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    Same. I loved those hidden nuggets and scattered easter eggs that it gave us. Jade Forest for example is full of them. The peaks outside the coast always offer me something to look at.

Just the fact that you could see something high up and it teased you until you could actually fly and see it for yourself. It really tickled my exploration bone.
    I feel like this is one of those cases where people might just be split on how flying impacts it. But I always felt like simply being able to mount up and go there with no difficulty cheapened the experience. Getting to the top of Mount Neverest in Kun-lai for the first time was fun because you needed to find the correct mountain trail and dodge obstacles. Simply flying up there doesnt have even close to the same effect.
    Similarly I always found that secret areas are more fun if they are designed to be difficult to get to. Simple things like getting to Gul'dans boss room in the outdoor version of Suramar was really satisfying when it required me to carry the really good glide ability all the way from Trueshot lodge to the top of Highmountain before the timer ran out to get to a high enough vantage point that I could get where I wanted.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    I feel like this is one of those cases where people might just be split on how flying impacts it. But I always felt like simply being able to mount up and go there with no difficulty cheapened the experience. Getting to the top of Mount Neverest in Kun-lai for the first time was fun because you needed to find the correct mountain trail and dodge obstacles. Simply flying up there doesnt have even close to the same effect.
    Similarly I always found that secret areas are more fun if they are designed to be difficult to get to. Simple things like getting to Gul'dans boss room in the outdoor version of Suramar was really satisfying when it required me to carry the really good glide ability all the way from Trueshot lodge to the top of Highmountain before the timer ran out to get to a high enough vantage point that I could get where I wanted.
    I agree with you, and I did a lot of those things while leveling because I love exploring while leveling. But when I reach max level and have seen the world from the ground I always find it fun to have flying and then enjoy it from the air as well. And to be honest I was rather okay without flying in Legion. I could get around with gliders and that was fun. It was not as fun in BfA however even if I used them extensively there too.

I think I like both, both being grounded and flying, but if we have flying I would love to have places you can ONLY reach by flying, and reward you for going out of your way to seek these places out. Just something as fun as finding the sewer exit on Northrend Dalaran from below, or exploring the flying islands of Nagrand and their secrets, or flying to the small hidden places in Cata rewamped world. It doesn't have to be physical rewards, even a random NPC or a tiny village is enough for me to find it fun.
    Heck, I remember in Wotlk when I decided to ride around the entirety of Eastern Kingdoms on my DK with Path of Frost, and I found a bunch of hidden places you wouldn't find otherwise, like the Dwarven village off the coast of Arathi, or the Tauren village outside Ahn Qiraj, or even the Night Elf port at the very top of the continent(where Silvermoon would have been if it was on the same server). I love that sort of thing.

I always thought those zones weird. Like Ogrila. How the FUCK did the fat ogres get up there?
    How did the people get up there? Why are they up there? How did they build a base up there? Is the zone completly selfsustaining?
    Portals are not very common in wow and actually quite heavily regulated. I think there is actually a capital punishment on using portals without a permit.

If they ever make those. I probably would not mind. I enjoyed tempest keep as it made sense. BC zones as a whole lend it very well because of the shattered world and floating landmasses (not ogrila though) like nagrand and stuff like that.
    If they ever go with a more scifi floating islands world in an expansion. Sure why not.
    I just want it to make sense.

Also: Flying was the biggest mistake ever in wow. It destroyed the open world. After that there was no point in having an open world at all other than the first week sightseeing. Now it is: swoop down kill mob for WQ swoop back up. World is empty and useless. But the cat is out of the bag so no use whining here^^

If we ever visit something like this ( don't think about where the water comes from ) hell yeah.

10+ Year Old Account

I been saying this forever. Wow has done flying in an mmo so good and i love the flying only zone in bc and wotlk. honestly flying is why I always am excited for the next expansion.
    "Voted Most Likely To Be Banned From The Forum."

I'm not against flying at all. in fact, zones where you can only fly sounds awesome and would bring about a new kind of exploration wow hasn't had yet. my issues is when you can fly everywhere. the world is just empty then. you almost never see anyone, random pvp skirmishes like you find in classic don't happen, etc. flying is good but should be something where a zone is built around it. think icecrown and stormpeaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    I agree with you, and I did a lot of those things while leveling because I love exploring while leveling. But when I reach max level and have seen the world from the ground I always find it fun to have flying and then enjoy it from the air as well. And to be honest I was rather okay without flying in Legion. I could get around with gliders and that was fun. It was not as fun in BfA however even if I used them extensively there too.

I think I like both, both being grounded and flying, but if we have flying I would love to have places you can ONLY reach by flying, and reward you for going out of your way to seek these places out. Just something as fun as finding the sewer exit on Northrend Dalaran from below, or exploring the flying islands of Nagrand and their secrets, or flying to the small hidden places in Cata rewamped world. It doesn't have to be physical rewards, even a random NPC or a tiny village is enough for me to find it fun.
    Heck, I remember in Wotlk when I decided to ride around the entirety of Eastern Kingdoms on my DK with Path of Frost, and I found a bunch of hidden places you wouldn't find otherwise, like the Dwarven village off the coast of Arathi, or the Tauren village outside Ahn Qiraj, or even the Night Elf port at the very top of the continent(where Silvermoon would have been if it was on the same server). I love that sort of thing.
    The problem with flying has always been that Blizzard simply made it far too good.
    I have made the point before and it still stands. There are games that sell themselves on pure catharsis, where the gameworld is meant to bend to the player, not the player bend to the world like in WoW. Even in those games flying isnt nearly as powerful as in WoW.
    GTA still requires the player to find a flying vehicle, and even then you can't just alt-tab out to read a wiki page.
    Even games that detach almost completely from realism like Just Cause still requires the player to consider momentum when using the flight ability the game hands you at the beginning.

In WoW flying is not so much flying as it is removing gravity from the player. Importantly this means that there is no gameplay to be gleaned from it other than in the Garry's mod sense of complete and unrestrained freedom, which while it might seem appealing on the surface does make for a shitty gameplay experience in practice.

It is most likely too late now, but I would have loved if Blizzard actually made flying require a baseline level of skill. At least as much as you need to navigate with a ground mount.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    I'm not against flying at all. in fact, zones where you can only fly sounds awesome and would bring about a new kind of exploration wow hasn't had yet. my issues is when you can fly everywhere. the world is just empty then. you almost never see anyone, random pvp skirmishes like you find in classic don't happen, etc. flying is good but should be something where a zone is built around it. think icecrown and stormpeaks.
    The only zone that truly ever felt designed with flying in mind was Vashj'ir, ironically. All the other zones are less about flying being a part of gameplay so much as flying being necessary toget from one platform to the next, with the obvious problem created by flying in WoW that it makes traversal trivial.

A true zone designed for flight would either need a new flying mechanic in WoW, or be designed like Vashj'ir with combat in 3 dimensions.

Flight specific gates is fine. So long as flight is available on launch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Flight specific gates is fine. So long as flight is available on launch.
    Not necessarily, as long as the gated content is available when flying is available.

For instance if they released an xpac, and flying isn't available until a few patches, no point in introducing that content until people can actually access it and reach it.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE