Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    I stopped reading most of the detailed info about expacs and patches since probably Legion, so that is where my "excitement" comes from, going in pretty blind.

  2. #22
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    33,693
    Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Blizzard can and do encrypt portion of the data to prevent datamining. They just dont do it for everything.
    I personally enjoy playing the content and experiencing it. I also dont read spoilers but mostly cuz it doesn't interest me reading about it.
    Oh, I know but it feels like they limit the encryption to certain things.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Roses are red, mana is blue. Suramar Guards, Will always find you!

  3. #23
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    13,994
    Yes, because it means I don't have to deal with prideful anymore. Fuck prideful

  4. #24
    Honorary PvM "Mod" Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    51,136
    Don’t read the posts. I don’t. All I know is there is a new zone, new quests, a flying system, and a new raid. I know next to nothing else about it, and that’s because I avoid spoilers.

  5. #25
    To infinity and beyond det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    37,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauko View Post
    I also avoid everything... even social media of wowhead and similar sites with spoiler posts. They write spoiler in the title but but title already says everything...
    Yeah..putting spoilers in a title totally sucks ;(

  6. #26
    It'll be exciting if it fails sufficiently spectacularly.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Sooner or later everyone sits down to a banquet of consequences." -- Robert Louis Stevenson
    If you didn't get your COVID shot it's probably too late now, you fool.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Oh, I know but it feels like they limit the encryption to certain things.
    It's kinda obvious why they do it. You can't encrypt it and test it at the same time. So everything they want to test, which includes audio and text lines playing at the right time, needs to be accessible. They can pretty much only reasonably do it with a few models (if they have a replacement), texts and with videos, because there you can just double check that they are properly implemented, but for quest chains the risk of fudging it and releasing it untested is too high and defeats the point of testing. The only solution here is in-house testing.
    /tar Tinker-zealot /point /lol
    WoW:Shadowlands - Danuser's Divina Commedia?

    koko := coocoo

  8. #28
    Blizzard *could* allow us to playtest boss fights on the beta server but hide the actual skins. Just reuse old skins. Instead of fighting sylvanas on the 9.1 beta server, reuse the Patchwerk model and have that big ugly slug adroitly jumping, dodging and diving around with a bow and arrow saying random things in an empty room. that way you hide the lore.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

  9. #29
    The Insane Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    17,214
    Quote Originally Posted by NatePsy View Post
    Until they hire back a comprehensive QA department, we'll always know about what's to come through PTR information sadly. We the playerbase replaced their QA department by participating in their PTR tests. Since they have been cutting back departments, it'll always be this way sadly.
    This is just not a thing. When they didn’t have players PTR testing was back in TBC when the QA department was way smaller then it is now there was never any down scaling of QA to rely on the players on the PTR.

  10. #30
    Orcboi NatePsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    VIC, Australia
    Posts
    5,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    This is just not a thing. When they didn’t have players PTR testing was back in TBC when the QA department was way smaller then it is now there was never any down scaling of QA to rely on the players on the PTR.
    My point is though, until they hire a bigger QA department, we'll always have a PTR that spoils the patch before it arrives in our hands. Simply knowing about what it is without delving too much into datamining still ruins the excitement for a patch. I know they'll never remove PTR and go the way of focused QA testing but it definitely doesn't help any.

  11. #31
    I mean, this applies to all patches and expansions as well. There's a lot of fingers to point for the decline of retail, but one of the big ones imo is wowhead. The game has become a lobby for instanced content and everything else is just filler bullshit because nothing is surprising, there's no secrets outside the ones Blizzard has to purposefully implement, everyone knows everything going into a patch.

    I'm not saying that filler bullshit would be any better when it comes to brass tax, but it would go a long way if most of the community didn't know what to expect from patches / expansions that wasn't advertised by Blizzard and packaged, stamped, and sanitized by a WoWhead article.

    And no, I really don't believe when people say things like "The majority don't read wowhead / know a patch is coming" - let's not be naive. These people, if they exist, are few and far between.

    There are plenty of games that function as a GaaS model that don't rely on public testing and datamining to fix bugs / generate hype. I'm not saying the game will be less buggy (probably moreso), but I'd take a few bugs during the first week over losing out on mystery, intrigue, and exploration / discovery in an MMORPG.
    Last edited by infinitemeridian; 2021-06-07 at 12:48 PM.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    It'll be exciting if it fails sufficiently spectacularly.
    Nice to see more of these "concerned about game" people finally tell what they really think.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFinlot View Post
    Hello,

    I was wondering - is anyone exited for 9.1. If yes, why?

    Reason for my question is very simple - whenever something new happens or comes out, about 9.1, it's datamined and information is all out there.
    Lore events, dialogs, models and etc. get put out before time.
    People even test things before those are out, thus knowing what will happen.

    How can you keep excitement if there is no surprise and you know everything in advance?

    Post is not meant to be negative and I hope it wont be negative topic.
    I don't. I am actually more exited about TBC becuase i forgot most of it.

    Datamining for the story is just stupid. But it is my own fault for reading it. No self controll. So i play retail only for the mechanical side... but even there it does not hold up anymore sadly.

    Blizz has to use the ptr server for extensive testing for two reasons:

    1. I don't think they have the manpower to test for bugs themselves.
    2. Players are waaaaaaaaaaay to sensible with even a little bug in their game and totally loose their shits over it.

    I don't think Blizz cares about feedback from the PTR. Apparantly the forums are not representative for the overall playerbase it turns out and they are doing quite well with the way they chose. Suprising? Hardly.
    They use the PTR to find bugs. Not change the game.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFinlot View Post
    Hello,

    I was wondering - is anyone exited for 9.1. If yes, why?

    Reason for my question is very simple - whenever something new happens or comes out, about 9.1, it's datamined and information is all out there.
    Lore events, dialogs, models and etc. get put out before time.
    People even test things before those are out, thus knowing what will happen.

    How can you keep excitement if there is no surprise and you know everything in advance?

    Post is not meant to be negative and I hope it wont be negative topic.
    You can just avoid it. I know nothing about 9.1 apart from what was said during the announcement.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFinlot View Post
    How can you keep excitement if there is no surprise and you know everything in advance?
    Keeping everything a secret only postpones the reaction though.

    The reason few people seem excited about 9.1 (Besides internet opinions always leaning towards negativity) is because 9.1 doesn't really have all that much for them to be excited about, this would also be true if everything was kept a secret, except then the "Wait, this is it?"-reaction would come after the release of the patch, so the same reaction, but delayed a bit.

  16. #36
    I don't think I've gotten excited for content drops since Wrath.
    Usually I forget spoiled stuff until I run into it again, unless it's big.
    Big spoilers can ruin a lot of fun because those are more memorable.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    I get where you're coming from. Unfortunately... given the age in which we live, it just comes with the territory.


    Personally, I bank my excitement in hoping the story and features coming our way are good/fun/exciting enough to keep my level of excitement. As it stands for 9.1... that's a big nope for lore/story and game play features.
    Eh, there are still games out there that bother to do testing internally in order to preserve the mystery of new content until it hits live servers.

  18. #38
    Mechagnome Lady Atia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Rumour Tower
    Posts
    730
    Well, I also don't mind spoilers for movies/series/books. Because the road is the goal, and even if I know that XY happens, seeing exactly *how* it happens makes it interesting.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    Well, I also don't mind spoilers for movies/series/books. Because the road is the goal, and even if I know that XY happens, seeing exactly *how* it happens makes it interesting.
    To further your point... a good narrative rewards experiencing it multiple times. But I have too many demands on my time to re-read and re-watch and re-play everything. So "spoilers" are like getting that second experience with your first.

    Also, as someone old enough to remember "missing" an episode and not knowing if I'll ever see it again, getting spoilers from my classmates and co-workers was an absolute godsend.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFinlot View Post
    Hello,

    I was wondering - is anyone exited for 9.1. If yes, why?

    Reason for my question is very simple - whenever something new happens or comes out, about 9.1, it's datamined and information is all out there.
    Lore events, dialogs, models and etc. get put out before time.
    People even test things before those are out, thus knowing what will happen.

    How can you keep excitement if there is no surprise and you know everything in advance?

    Post is not meant to be negative and I hope it wont be negative topic.
    The answer is simpel: just do not spoiler yourself. You do not need to check out all story events, just because somebody datamined them. You do not need to watch screenshots and videos of all new zones beforehand. Thats completely up to you.
    I usually only checked out class changes and only started to have a look at story related stuff, when I had lost all hope for storytelling either way in BfA. Was no problem until then.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    Well, I also don't mind spoilers for movies/series/books. Because the road is the goal, and even if I know that XY happens, seeing exactly *how* it happens makes it interesting.
    I get that's your take, but it's really hard for me to understand that.
    I agree with you, the way can be very interesting, even if you already know the result, but IMO that is only possible if the story is written with that already in mind. E.g. in Rothfuss's "Name of the Wind"/Kingkiller series, the tale starts at the end and we all know everything is going wrong, but the story is structured in a way that makes it interesting nonetheless.

    However, if you would have told me the end of GoT beforehand, I sure as hell would have opted out before. Ok, let's not take GoT, because it is an extreme example, but take domez classics like Fightclub or 6th sense. You really would not mind spoilers for such movies?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    To further your point... a good narrative rewards experiencing it multiple times. But I have too many demands on my time to re-read and re-watch and re-play everything. So "spoilers" are like getting that second experience with your first.

    Also, as someone old enough to remember "missing" an episode and not knowing if I'll ever see it again, getting spoilers from my classmates and co-workers was an absolute godsend.
    I am actually not even sure if the word "Spoiler" is correct here, because you are actively looking for an information that is integral to continue your enjoyment of the show and that you can not get otherwise.
    It might be semantics, but IMO its not a spoiler in that case. A spoiler would be if your friends tell you what happened without being asked and with the full knowledge that the episode has a rerun the same day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •