Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    How can 9.1 be exciting if everything is/will be known beforehand.

    Hello,

    I was wondering - is anyone exited for 9.1. If yes, why?

    Reason for my question is very simple - whenever something new happens or comes out, about 9.1, it's datamined and information is all out there.
    Lore events, dialogs, models and etc. get put out before time.
    People even test things before those are out, thus knowing what will happen.

    How can you keep excitement if there is no surprise and you know everything in advance?

    Post is not meant to be negative and I hope it wont be negative topic.

  2. #2
    I get where you're coming from. Unfortunately... given the age in which we live, it just comes with the territory.


    Personally, I bank my excitement in hoping the story and features coming our way are good/fun/exciting enough to keep my level of excitement. As it stands for 9.1... that's a big nope for lore/story and game play features.

  3. #3
    I wish they would find a way to get rid of leaks and patch Information beforehand and even swear the beta testers to silence with a permaban should they break it. The game would be better

    That said, the problem with 9.1 is twofold... one it isn’t that impressive. Just a generic patch, and considering the wait and build up for 9.1... it needed to be 9.1, 7,2, 6.2, and more all in one patch. This wait.. for that patch?! A week after it hits we’ll hear chatter about 9.2 being the savior that 9.1 was meant to be

    It should be substantially larger but many times the size

    This is just lazy and incompetence on the devs which is fitting because this dev team hasn’t had one success since taking over after legion

  4. #4
    Yes I am. I don't read the spoilers.

  5. #5
    I think for many people, the lore has taken a backseat (which is unfortunate) and gameplay is first, so they're more anxious to try out new systems. IMO it's quite simple to avoid spoilers if you're truly interested by the story, although it may come at the cost a viewing website such as MMO or wowhead

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFinlot View Post
    How can you keep excitement if there is no surprise and you know everything in advance?
    no offense, but this is on you, its not up people to hold all information bcs someone might not want to know them, its up to you to avoid spoilers if you wish so...
    so far i know pretty much nothing about story of 9.1 so its definitely possible...

  7. #7
    This has been the case for every patch ever since I remember. I get excited because I will be able to play the new content. I don't need it to be a surprise.

    Also, wow really isn't a narrative based game and most people don't play it for surprising narrative/lore moments so it's not that important not to be spoiled. If they do, I imagine it's quite easy to avoid spoilers btw. I haven't read anything about the incoming lore in 9.1 personally (because I don't care). The same should be possible for people who want to see the story unveil in front of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    I wish they would find a way to get rid of leaks and patch Information beforehand and even swear the beta testers to silence with a permaban should they break it. The game would be better

    That said, the problem with 9.1 is twofold... one it isn’t that impressive. Just a generic patch, and considering the wait and build up for 9.1... it needed to be 9.1, 7,2, 6.2, and more all in one patch. This wait.. for that patch?! A week after it hits we’ll hear chatter about 9.2 being the savior that 9.1 was meant to be

    It should be substantially larger but many times the size

    This is just lazy and incompetence on the devs which is fitting because this dev team hasn’t had one success since taking over after legion
    There are no "beta testers" that could be slapped with an NDA. PTR is literally available to anyone who has a subscription to the game. If it was some kind of elite club that is hard to get in, that is also restricted by countless secrecy rules, no one would even want to test that stuff, as the most important reason for doing it in the first place is to show it to people as content on youtube/twitch etc.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

    Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

  8. #8
    There are two options.

    1st one, they make the content, dont put it on PTR and we have to fight through bugs on live servers.

    2nd one, we play the PTR, report bugs, play live servers without bigger bugs but suffer the spoilers.

    Pick one. First one never worked... sadly. Blizz doesn't have the capacity to test the game like thousands of players on PTR do...

  9. #9
    To infinity and beyond det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    37,031
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFinlot View Post

    How can you keep excitement if there is no surprise and you know everything in advance?
    Same way you always did ever since datamining etc existed? I mean..it is not exactly something new with 9.1?

    Like..don't read info posted on sites like this one? They usually also even have spoiler tags...so I for one don't know anything about the progress of the story.

    The info I was interested in and got is:
    -can ride in the Maw
    -new zone in the Maw
    -flying at renown 44
    -a mega dungeon that is initially mythic only

    So there is stuff to explore and be surprised about for me...yay...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kauko View Post
    There are two options.

    1st one, they make the content, dont put it on PTR and we have to fight through bugs on live servers.

    2nd one, we play the PTR, report bugs, play live servers without bigger bugs but suffer the spoilers.

    Pick one. First one never worked... sadly. Blizz doesn't have the capacity to test the game like thousands of players on PTR do...
    See above: It is to me also about on a personal level evading / reading info on what has been datamined. I made it work for myself.

  10. #10
    Orcboi NatePsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    VIC, Australia
    Posts
    5,225
    Until they hire back a comprehensive QA department, we'll always know about what's to come through PTR information sadly. We the playerbase replaced their QA department by participating in their PTR tests. Since they have been cutting back departments, it'll always be this way sadly.

  11. #11
    PTR is not Beta. It's shorter and interest is lower. It's very easy to avoid any spoilers. And most important things are hidden behind cinematics anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by NatePsy View Post
    Until they hire back a comprehensive QA department, we'll always know about what's to come through PTR information sadly. We the playerbase replaced their QA department by participating in their PTR tests. Since they have been cutting back departments, it'll always be this way sadly.
    Oh yeah, good old times with comprehensive QA department when WoW content just came out without PTR or Beta.

  12. #12
    Yup welcome to the digital age, but this is only site I look at for wow and least the front page states it has spoilers so I don't read or look at it.

  13. #13
    Merely a Setback Queen of Hamsters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I commute between Sweden and Crown Falls.
    Posts
    28,423
    Plenty of people are surprised by there even being a patch, so clearly a lot of people can stay away from the spoilers and simply play the game as it evolves.

    I prefer knowing what I'm headed into instead of running around like a headless chicken.
    Liberté, égalité, fraternité
    ⭑・゚゚・*:༅。.。༅:*゚:*:✼✿ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚ ゚・⭑
    "I need to boycott Blizzard!! I know, I'll go play an MMORPG made by Amazon instead! Hurr durr!"

  14. #14
    U kno u don't HAVE to read the spoilers / datamined stuffs rite? Just makin sure.
    Never underestimate the unknown, or some shit. *shrugs i unno*

  15. #15
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    33,693
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFinlot View Post
    Hello,

    I was wondering - is anyone exited for 9.1. If yes, why?

    Reason for my question is very simple - whenever something new happens or comes out, about 9.1, it's datamined and information is all out there.
    Lore events, dialogs, models and etc. get put out before time.
    People even test things before those are out, thus knowing what will happen.

    How can you keep excitement if there is no surprise and you know everything in advance?

    Post is not meant to be negative and I hope it wont be negative topic.
    Sadly, that is the creation of the game community, data-mining.

    Only way to avoid that is to not follow or read anything from gaming sites such as Wowhead, or MMO-champion.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Roses are red, mana is blue. Suramar Guards, Will always find you!

  16. #16
    I think this will be the first time in ages were I barely know anything about the patch, simply because I'm so no interested in it (a fugly ass rock floating in the maw..). Maybe that will enhance my experience .
    /tar Tinker-zealot /point /lol
    WoW:Shadowlands - Danuser's Divina Commedia?

    koko := coocoo

  17. #17
    In the past it worked because knowing the content and experiencing the content was two completely different things. Two things changed this. The first was "seasons", you don't have to go through the content because you're playing the patch, not the expansion. The second was a bigger focus on story and narrative, PTR kinda ruins that.
    Today you can essentially experience the game through YouTube since you don't really have a character to become attached to.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    See above: It is to me also about on a personal level evading / reading info on what has been datamined. I made it work for myself.
    I also avoid everything... even social media of wowhead and similar sites with spoiler posts. They write spoiler in the title but but title already says everything...

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Sadly, that is the creation of the game community, data-mining.

    Only way to avoid that is to not follow or read anything from gaming sites such as Wowhead, or MMO-champion.
    Blizzard can and do encrypt portion of the data to prevent datamining. They just dont do it for everything.
    I personally enjoy playing the content and experiencing it. I also dont read spoilers but mostly cuz it doesn't interest me reading about it.

  20. #20
    Was thinking the same thing.
    PTR/Beta/Books kinda ruin the mystery of it all. I can't say i'm not intrigued by datamined stuff, but overall it puts it in a stale state very fast.
    Read First! (Very Important)
    Dear Scrapbot or Moderator:
    Before you, recklessly, hand out an infraction - if i, accidently, broke the rules without being aware, i would very much appreciate a warning first, in the manner of a green text/edit or a private message.
    Thank you in advance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •