Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
10
LastLast
  1. #141
    Mechagnome Mr. Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Peanut Gallery
    Posts
    562
    I think that the people arguing that you can go out of your way to join a guild/Discord/whatever to find people to play with are kind of missing the point of what made social interactions in WoW so enjoyable in the first place.

    The thing about the social interactions in OG WoW is that they kind of grew, almost like a plant, from natural gameplay. You see someone in the world, and when you interact with them, be they friendly or hostile, that plants the 'seed', so to speak. And from there, more interactions result, and the plant grows.

    You see that person in the world again: If you had to work together on a group quest previously or ran a dungeon together or something, you might do so again, which can lead to being friends, which can lead to one of you inviting the other to their guild, which can lead in to raiding. If they were hostile, you might try to fight them again, you might try to run because they're better than you, you might start a personal Kill on Sight blacklist for them and everyone in their guild, which could lead to server rivalries. These kinds of social interactions are what helped sell you on Azeroth being a living, breathing world, and I don't think the game would be looked back on so fondly if not for them.

    As opposed to now, where if you're unfortunate enough to not be in a guild already, you just level without saying a single thing to anyone, and once you're done you have to start joining Discords, looking for communities, and handing out applications to guilds and group leaders that you're totally unfamiliar with like you're looking for a job. To me that just feels cold, impersonal and unsatisfying; The difference between growing something yourself versus buying a fully-grown plant from the store.

    Both forms of socialization have their pros and cons depending on the game of course, but this a game that at least pretends to be about interacting with large amounts of people in-game in an open world. As such, I consider it a design failure that the most likely way that you'll find a group of people to regularly interact with is by leaving the game entirely, and socializing outside of it.

  2. #142
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    I think that the people arguing that you can go out of your way to join a guild/Discord/whatever to find people to play with are kind of missing the point of what made social interactions in WoW so enjoyable in the first place.

    The thing about the social interactions in OG WoW is that they kind of grew, almost like a plant, from natural gameplay. You see someone in the world, and when you interact with them, be they friendly or hostile, that plants the 'seed', so to speak. And from there, more interactions result, and the plant grows.

    You see that person in the world again: If you had to work together on a group quest previously or ran a dungeon together or something, you might do so again, which can lead to being friends, which can lead to one of you inviting the other to their guild, which can lead in to raiding. If they were hostile, you might try to fight them again, you might try to run because they're better than you, you might start a personal Kill on Sight blacklist for them and everyone in their guild, which could lead to server rivalries. These kinds of social interactions are what helped sell you on Azeroth being a living, breathing world, and I don't think the game would be looked back on so fondly if not for them.

    As opposed to now, where if you're unfortunate enough to not be in a guild already, you just level without saying a single thing to anyone, and once you're done you have to start joining Discords, looking for communities, and handing out applications to guilds and group leaders that you're totally unfamiliar with like you're looking for a job. To me that just feels cold, impersonal and unsatisfying; The difference between growing something yourself versus buying a fully-grown plant from the store.

    Both forms of socialization have their pros and cons depending on the game of course, but this a game that at least pretends to be about interacting with large amounts of people in-game in an open world. As such, I consider it a design failure that the most likely way that you'll find a group of people to regularly interact with is by leaving the game entirely, and socializing outside of it.
    That barely ever happened. Usually you only start to chat with people when you are looking for dungeons or for a 5 player quest and you only do this because the game design won't allow you to actually play the game during that time. What you describe is nothing but a fanfiction.

  3. #143
    The social issue with WoW is largely how alot of play the game.

    I've been lurking on this site for years, and I've realized a few things by reading some of your posts.

    1. Most of the people who complain about the social issues in WoW are not in a guild they like
    2. Most of the people who complain about the social issues in WoW pug the majority of their content
    3. Most of the people who complain about the social issues in WoW are not very strong players

    That trifecta will guarantee that you have shitty social interactions in this game. However the plus side is that you can change this now. Find a guild around your skill level, and play the game how the rest of us do.

  4. #144
    It would help if they removed the lower difficulties and drastically increased the power world mobs had in comparison to the player from what it is now. The main source of friction in wow comes from the massive skill difference in its players. To my knowledge no other game allows itself to be as mindlessly easy as wow at level cap.

    If you raise the skill floor you will see people slowly start to trust one another more as the players who kick protection was implemented for are slowly driven off to face book games were they belong. It seems cruel but everyone would be happier with that.

  5. #145
    Epic! Alroxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hall of the Guardians
    Posts
    1,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    What about the interviews where devs acknowledged older versions of the game had a much stronger community and social aspect to it?
    Yes but in full context those devs also mention that server identity has eroded because of the convenience and QoL changes added to the game.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

  6. #146
    Legendary! Ealyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Switzerland, Geneva
    Posts
    6,401
    Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    The amount of whispers I did in Shadowlands between 50-60 was 0. Yes, 0. I also am pretty sure I joined a group 0 times.?
    That's very clearly a you problem...

    I just leveled my mage 50->60 in SL spaming dungeon last Sunday. Met plenty of interesting people (and obviously also a lot of non talkative one).
    It's up to you if you want to interact socially. Asking for a game to force you to it its extremely akward to say the least...
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    nazi is not the abbreviation of national socialism....
    When googling 4 letters is asking too much fact-checking.

  7. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post
    It would help if they removed the lower difficulties and drastically increased the power world mobs had in comparison to the player from what it is now. The main source of friction in wow comes from the massive skill difference in its players. To my knowledge no other game allows itself to be as mindlessly easy as wow at level cap.

    If you raise the skill floor you will see people slowly start to trust one another more as the players who kick protection was implemented for are slowly driven off to face book games were they belong. It seems cruel but everyone would be happier with that.
    You would be creating more issues by removing the most popular parts of the game.
    If you are annoyed that you get grouped with players much weaker than you... instead of removing difficulty settings... stop pugging with players that are not on your skill level.

    I cannot tell you how much more fun this is when you actively discern who you play with

  8. #148
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Not far enough.
    Posts
    41
    I think the answare is known to many but they are not willing to accept it.
    There must exist inconvinient scenarios or content that can be done only by grouping and incentivise to group with the same people over and over rather than randoms.
    Otherwise as long as there's something that can be done solo, it will be done solo. I am a firm believer that MMOrpgs should rely on group content and people playing together. There are dozens of genres of games that can be played solo or be played Solo in multiplayer but MMOs should not be one of those.

  9. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavebossa View Post
    You would be creating more issues by removing the most popular parts of the game.
    If you are annoyed that you get grouped with players much weaker than you... instead of removing difficulty settings... stop pugging with players that are not on your skill level.

    I cannot tell you how much more fun this is when you actively discern who you play with
    Most popular in the sense that everyone does them or that they are popular in terms of enjoyment? Right now the first 10 levels of wow are by far the most popular the game has to offer with that broken logic.

    Again your solution is to add more friction because that playerbase is never happy in the mindless modes of the game. If you want wow to be more socially stable you have to press for a cull of its more... challenged players.

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post
    Most popular in the sense that everyone does them or that they are popular in terms of enjoyment? Right now the first 10 levels of wow are by far the most popular the game has to offer with that broken logic.

    Again your solution is to add more friction because that playerbase is never happy in the mindless modes of the game. If you want wow to be more socially stable you have to press for a cull of its more... challenged players.
    Pretty sure there is more toxicity coming from you in just 2 posts then the entire 'casual' playerbase
    produces.

    How about you get out of their game instead. Go play Wildstar, I heard they cater to the more hardcore WoW player... oh wait.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  11. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Pretty sure there is more toxicity coming from you in just 2 posts then the entire 'casual' playerbase
    produces.

    How about you get out of their game instead. Go play Wildstar, I heard they cater to the more hardcore WoW player... oh wait.
    I'm a casual player myself...well usually im on half shifts from this lock down so now am logging in hardcore hours... before I logged in roughly six hours a week and cleared mythic raid then logged. As casual as they come.

    If you want to improve the player base as a whole you have to actively work to eliminate people who simply can't play the game.

  12. #152
    Mechagnome Mr. Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Peanut Gallery
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by Diaphin View Post
    That barely ever happened. Usually you only start to chat with people when you are looking for dungeons or for a 5 player quest and you only do this because the game design won't allow you to actually play the game during that time. What you describe is nothing but a fanfiction.
    I don't know what to tell you. As a person who generally avoided players unless it was for a quest/dungeon, I still ended up making multiple friends, and joining multiple guilds in BC/Wrath as well as in Classic, one of whom ended up being one of my best friends in real life.

    I never made the claim that the system in Old WoW was perfect, just that it was better than what we have now because it at least tried to encourage you to interact with people out in the world, which is important in an MMO.

  13. #153
    Quote Originally Posted by Kehego View Post
    yes I'm sure you want to wait 20 minutes to kill a quest mob. Gives you all the time to socialize, I guess.
    I never said you should. In fact, if you play BCC, you will see people group up to get kills. Hence, social.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

  14. #154
    Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    The thing that makes a MMORPG attractive is the social aspect, no?
    No.

    /chars

  15. #155
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Obviously theres more social interaction if youre forced into it, doesnt make it better though.

    Its also not a lie, just because youre an anti social bee that needs blizzard to kick your butt into the direction of the nearest human being before you would even remotely consider to interact with em, doesnt make the game not social.
    I just don't get why you get so defensive about these topics?

    Players noted the game lacks incentives to be social. Some players miss the incentives because it made it much easier to be social. And now players here are discussing what can be done about it.

    And now we're getting people like you who come in and just be an ass about it lol

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    Yes but in full context those devs also mention that server identity has eroded because of the convenience and QoL changes added to the game.
    I'd say they're wrong about it eroding. Server identity died immediately with CRZ and then made even worse with server merges. The merges were necessary, but with CRZ you rarely see the same people in-game anymore.

  16. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    And now we're getting people like you who come in and just be an ass about it lol
    Said the guy who basically just finished his statement earlier with "NO YOU'RE WRONG, YOU LIE LOL".

  17. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I never said you should. In fact, if you play BCC, you will see people group up to get kills. Hence, social.
    forced interactions arent social interactions

    nice try though.

  18. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Said the guy who basically just finished his statement earlier with "NO YOU'RE WRONG, YOU LIE LOL".
    Because why bother lying? Just to be a contrarian? Gross, no thanks lol

    Blocked.

  19. #159
    Elemental Lord sam86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    WORST country on earth (aka egypt)
    Posts
    8,035
    they don't, as long as token wow exist they don't and they won't
    why social? to pug a raid? go pay blizzard real hard cold cash to get gold, use that gold to get ahead of curve, now u can pug and get to a raiding guild
    u don't want to buy tokens? enjoy solo mode wow, farm pets and mounts

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    I'm not sure there's anything Blizzard can do to force socialization without alienating more players than not.
    try remove tokens, make boosts useless as they were in old days, most top guilds won't care to boost since gold is just for consumables and repairs (and just 1 day do few dailies cover that and way more), ppl will actually have to pug to do anything at lower tier raiding, and can actually move to better raiding without need to spend 1502 euro to get ahead of curve
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

  20. #160
    If you're basically required to "socialize" for even basic content, is it really socializing?
    Retail has plenty of willing socialization.
    Go camp a rare, plenty of people interact. Sometimes we have mount-offs, sometimes we play with toys, other times we bitch and moan about drop rates or respawn times.
    Go run M+ or join an active guild that isn't just some spam auto invite garbage. You will need to socialize or you won't last very long.

    Retail made socializing optional and, to nobody's surprise, people opt out of it more often than not.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •