Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #81
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    22,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Arguing about whether it's a hate crime or not in the case of four murders seems fairly pointless. Whatever one believes the maximum punishment for criminal activity should be, surely it should be visited on a quadruple murderer regardless of what his motivations were. It's not as though finding out he just wanted to kill any random targets would make us say, "well, thank goodness, I guess just give him community service".
    It's a relevant statistic to track, especially in this day and age.

    For instance, if they find that hate crimes are rising or that this guy was in contact with others, then it's extremely relevant whether this was a motivated attack or not.

    And it may indeed serve the notion that the comments and tenure of certain individuals, perhaps those in media and political circles, including those from... oh, let's say places close to Canada over the past... oh, say four years, may indeed have served to escalate hate crimes against certain groups.

    Which may mean that the comments those individuals make, made, and the things they inspire others to believe and take action over might actually be dangerous and worth more circumspection than certain other people might be giving them.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  2. #82
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    13,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    If that is true (and I'm not suggesting you're incorrect I simply haven't read the legislation) that's honestly pretty spectacularly poor drafting especially for what would have been a high profile act.
    A lot of laws in this country are proactive rather than reactive. Stopping crimes before they happen ensures that our communities remain safe. Now obviously that isn't always the case, especially if people who commit these crimes aren't on police radar at all, which is usually the case. The shooting spree out east in 2019 was an example of a lack in proactive policing and prevention. The shooter in that case owned guns illegally, and even went as far as to buy a used police cruiser and made fake stickers to make it look like a real cop car. That guy was definitely unstable, and hindsight is what it is when it comes to prevention. I think where we are trying to strike a balance is between prevention through proactive monitoring while not invading people's privacy too much.

  3. #83
    Article is light on details.

    First they make it sound like a car accident, then a paragraph later they're talking about murder.

    Also, as BLM shows, cops claiming or reporting something doesn't mean it's true.

  4. #84
    I am Murloc! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    5,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    Article is light on details.

    First they make it sound like a car accident, then a paragraph later they're talking about murder.
    Are you high?

    This is not making it sound like a car accident:
    Canada: 4 people killed in suspected hate crime in London, Ontario

    Four members of an Ontario family were killed in a hit and run in Canada. Police suspect the attacker targeted them because of their Muslim faith.

    A man struck and killed four pedestrians with his vehicle in a suspected "premeditated" hate crime, police in the Canadian city of London, Ontario, announced Monday.

    "We believe this was an intentional act and that the victims of this horrific incident were targeted," Police Chief Steve Williams said. "We believe the victims were targeted because of their Islamic faith."

    The 20-year-old alleged attacker struck five people in the hit and run attack, police said.

    "To the Muslim community in London and to Muslims across the country, know that we stand with you. Islamophobia has no place in any of our communities. This hate is insidious and despicable — and it must stop,'' Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Twitter.

    Witnesses told the Global News network they saw the vehicle come over the median strip and added it looked like it had come from the other side of the road.

    The driver was arrested in the parking lot of a nearby mall and faces four counts of first-degree murder and one count of attempted murder.

    Detective Superintendent Paul Waight said police were consulting with the Royal Mounted Canadian Police and prosecutors on potentially filing terrorism charges.
    Absolutely nothing in this article suggests accident. In fact, it practically beats you over the head with the fact that it was never suspected of being an accident, from the first line.

    Good job with that atrociously bad "hot take", though.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  5. #85
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,132
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Good job with that atrociously bad "hot take", though.
    Gotta jump in there and defend the racist multiple murderer, for some goddamned reason, though.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Good job with that atrociously bad "hot take", though.
    The article is full with the words "suspected"/"we believe"/"potential" and a biased police opinion.

    Ergo, nothing anyone should trust - especially not if it's the police claiming it. #ACAB

    Why it read as a car accident to someone who reads within context.
    Last edited by Yas-Queen Rochana; 2021-06-13 at 06:18 PM.

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    The article is full with the words "suspected"/"we believe"/"potential" and a biased police opinion.

    Ergo, nothing anyone should trust - especially not if it's the police claiming it. #ACAB

    Why it read as a car accident to someone who reads within context.
    they took 2 seconds to look at the guys social media. this stuff isnt difficult.

  8. #88
    I am Murloc! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    5,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    The article is full with the words "suspected"/"we believe"/"potential" and a biased police opinion.

    Ergo, nothing anyone should trust - especially not if it's the police claiming it. #ACAB

    Why it read as a car accident to someone who reads within context.
    So not only are you seemingly high, but like... 5 years old, as well.

    Because it's obvious to anybody who actually pays attention that police announcements and especially media coverage always, always, always use qualifying words like "suspected" and "allegedly", because doing otherwise would not only leave them open to possible slander/libel/defamation lawsuits, but would materially damage a future trial case.

    But people usually aren't obtuse enough to not be able to read the truth behind the statements. Which is why it's utterly hilarious that you're pretending to understand the context here.

    So yes, just another classic anarchist Rochana atrociously bad "hot take", again.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    So not only are you seemingly high, but like... 5 years old, as well.

    Because it's obvious to anybody who actually pays attention that police announcements and especially media coverage always, always, always use qualifying words like "suspected" and "allegedly", because doing otherwise would not only leave them open to possible slander/libel/defamation lawsuits, but would materially damage a future trial case.

    But people usually aren't obtuse enough to not be able to read the truth behind the statements. Which is why it's utterly hilarious that you're pretending to understand the context here.

    So yes, just another classic anarchist Rochana atrociously bad "hot take", again.
    It's not just a bad take...it's just plain posting in bad faith.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    So not only are you seemingly high, but like... 5 years old, as well.
    It's funny and ironic to me that you believe you're holding the position of the 'smarter' person in this discussion, up to the point you feel like throwing an ad hominem in. (Mind one that won't get moderated on this utterly ridiculously forum)
    Last edited by Yas-Queen Rochana; 2021-06-13 at 07:23 PM.

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    It's funny and ironic to me that you believe you're holding the position of the 'smarter' person in this discusiion
    it's funny and ironic that you say this while not being able to spell the word "discussion"

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    it's funny and ironic that you say this while not being able to spell the word "discussion"
    My warcraft raid pulled a raidboss, but it's additionally amusing to me that I knew someone would be commenting on it when I decided not to correct the typo right away. :P

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    It's not just a bad take...it's just plain posting in bad faith.
    No, it's not. It's someone interpreting an article by their own political freedom and right.
    (even if this forum has the habit of moderating it as 'trolling' because their minds got warped in SJW-totalitarian habits)

    You want to put your trust in SJW-institutions when they come out and complain about racism and hate crimes, but I will never do that, because I know what kind of corrupt and dishonest scumbags those institutions tend to be.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    My warcraft raid pulled a raidboss, but it's additionally amusing to me that I knew someone would be commenting on it when I decided not to correct the typo right away. :P

    - - - Updated - - -



    No, it's not. It's someone interpreting an article by their own political freedom and right.

    You want to put your trust in SJW-institutions when they come out and complain about racism and hate crimes, but I will never do that, because I know what kind of corrupt and dishonest scumbags they tend to be.
    Oh sure "I totally expected to be called out on my mistake so I left it in on purpose"

    Right.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    My warcraft raid pulled a raidboss, but it's additionally amusing to me that I knew someone would be commenting on it when I decided not to correct the typo right away. :P

    - - - Updated - - -



    No, it's not. It's someone interpreting an article by their own political freedom and right.
    (even if this forum has the habit of moderating it as 'trolling' because their minds got warped in SJW-totalitarian habits)

    You want to put your trust in SJW-institutions when they come out and complain about racism and hate crimes, but I will never do that, because I know what kind of corrupt and dishonest scumbags those institutions tend to be.
    So...is it "ACAB" or are Police an "SJW institution"? You can't have it both ways.

    This is why I said it's bad faith posting...thank you for proving it.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    So...is it "ACAB" or are Police an "SJW institution"? You can't have it both ways.
    What the hell are you talking about. Why wouldn't they be able to be both?

    In my experience they absolutely are. The scummiest most rotten and useless creatures on this planet become police men or police women, just so they can go around handing out tickets or harassing people because they're supposedly "a bit racist" or "didn't follow the new environmental laws on plastic recycling"...

    The more things change, the more they stay the same. Police in countries outside of the USA are still bastards, now they're just more of the soy boy-variety lately.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    now they're just more of the soy boy-variety lately.
    Remember when you cosplayed a progressive? Those were good times.

  16. #96
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    The article is full with the words "suspected"/"we believe"/"potential" and a biased police opinion.

    Ergo, nothing anyone should trust - especially not if it's the police claiming it. #ACAB

    Why it read as a car accident to someone who reads within context.
    I'm trying to figure out why you've decided to invest the effort into defending this bigoted multiple murderer.

    Is he on "your side" of something? Do you agree with his attack and choice of targets? It's gotta be something along those lines, because what the hell else could be your intent, here?

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Remember when you cosplayed a progressive? Those were good times.
    I still am a progressive, just not one that believes in the fairytale that the government or politicians are going to solve our problems for us.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'm trying to figure out why you've decided to invest the effort into defending this bigoted multiple murderer.

    Is he on "your side" of something? Do you agree with his attack and choice of targets? It's gotta be something along those lines, because what the hell else could be your intent, here?
    I'm on the side of truth. And no, I don't believe canadian police when they're virtue signaling.

  18. #98
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    I'm on the side of truth. And no, I don't believe canadian police when they're virtue signaling.
    Claiming to be a "progressive" when you're attacking "SJWs" and "virtue signalling" is certainly . . . a take.

    You're not on the side of "truth"; you're actively rejecting any evidence you don't want to hear.

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Claiming to be a "progressive" when you're attacking "SJWs" and "virtue signalling" is certainly . . . a take.
    Both have become weapons of authoritarians and the western elite.

    I could be a scumbag / bully that pretends they're all so concerned with it, join the bandwagon of being proudly anti-racist and ultra-feminist, and then use it go shamelessly harass and bully others while giving myself a pat on the back for being super-righteous and just, but I consider myself a better human being than that.

  20. #100
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    Both have become weapons of authoritarians and the western elite.
    This is wackadoodle conspiracy nonsense, and doesn't deserve consideration. You may as well be ranting about chemtrails and the microchips in the vaccines.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •