Page 5 of 172 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Nah, I'm good.

I have no desire to punish people, just because they make more money.
    You typically punish people for exploiting the weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Implying the existence of capital gains as a separate category of income isn't itself a form of tax dodging.
    Well, I wasn't stating that. I was stating that both the article plus various posters are conflating income taxes and a wealth tax. I've said it in this thread that capital gains should be taxed as income if the shares the person gets is part of a compensation package that isn't part of a retirement account. The article was pointing out that the extreme wealthy were paying a far smaller share of their wealth as taxes but talking like it was income from job. The extreme wealthy has their wealth got up(and down) because they own a huge amount of shares in said business. Very few have a lot of liquidity outside of those stocks(lot in this sense can be subjective).

The example I will use is if someone owns a $200k home(outright owns, no mortgage) but earns $40k a year, they aren't going to pay more then $3k a year in income taxes. However, their wealth would be over $200k(this is baring any outstanding debt). That means they would be paying around 1.5% of their wealth as taxes even though they are paying an effective tax rate of close to 9%. This is why that article is disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    All the billionaires losing some quality of life is worth it as long as it means the quality of life of the poorest 4 or 5 billion goes up. Shame that people don't know the meaning of sacrifice for the greater good.
    SO, how much are you willing to sacrifice?

10+ Year Old Account
    We're already sacrificing. It's time the rich started.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    To prevent the millions that die of starvation or access to clean water a year? To give as many people as possible on earth a decent QoL? What kind of person would not, thats just selfish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    To prevent the millions that die of starvation or access to clean water a year? To give as many people as possible on earth a decent QoL? What kind of person would not, thats just selfish.
    Also, let's not pretend anyone's quality of life is actually going to be negatively impacted by a wealth tax. There is no human alive who needs that much money.

Maybe Walt Disney's head, but...
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Eat shit.
    This is the problem with the argument that pushing to tax others more isn't a punishment.

When you get called to pay more, you are suddenly outraged.

Which is an argument about my motives, not the stance. Still an ad hominem.

Fairly telling that the only rebuttals you have against wealth taxes is calling other people names and conjecturing malicious intent.
    pretty much the only thing they're capable of when it comes to taxes and the like. stamping their feet, having no real argument other than this revolving door of "you hate rich people, you want to punish rich people" and finally: "why aren't YOU paying for all this stuff yourself?"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    We’ve already had this discussion. Stop derailing just because you can’t remember.
    The dipshit is equating 100% tax (slavery) with taxes that would still leave people with millions. He can go fuck himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    We’ve already had this discussion. Stop derailing just because you can’t remember.
    This is a brand new thread, whining that the wealth are supposedly not paying enough.

This is the problem with the argument that pushing to tax others more isn't a punishment.

Paying more and slavery are two different things. Eat shit.

10+ Year Old Account

Kind of like how y'all resort to ad hominem arguments about people's motives whenever it's pointed out that maybe the wealthy should pay taxes commensurate to the share of the economy they own? Lul.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    The dipshit is equating 100% tax (slavery) with taxes that would still leave people with millions. He can go fuck himself.
    Taxation is not punishment.

Taxation is not punishment.
    Sure isn't. Eat shit.

Kind of like how y'all resort to ad hominem arguments about people's motives whenever it's pointed out that maybe the wealthy should pay taxes commensurate to the share of the economy they own? Lul.
    Pushing laws that will never impact you, is the hallmark of oppression.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a brand new thread, whining that the wealth are supposedly not paying enough.
    And doubtless it'll be the same merry go round of you insisting your position is right because "freedom", without ever actually explaining why "freedom" is good barring shitty fearmongering about Stalin or whatever.

You're not actually offering substantive arguments about policy, it's just reactionary nonsense because fire is bad, change is scary, and Clement Atlee was a witch.

ripster taking one for the team

i like the bezoz vs typical household chart myself.

Machismo why do you defend thieves with such rigor?

10+ Year Old Account
    But Nestle buying up fresh drinking water that the people living that region need is not?
    Sweatshops are not?

So, why are you suddenly outraged at the thought of paying more?

I imagine the wealthy would use those same words if you tried to increase their taxes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol. "Rich people are oppressed". Sure, Jan.

They would impact me if I had that much wealth, is the thing. Being rich isn't a protected class.