1. #1881
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiphobia View Post
    The problem here is that if the whole market fails so horribly that it can't recover, your savings in a bank account aren't necessarily safe either, so if it gets to that point, you lose regardless of what you do. And obviously, I'm talking only about the whole market, because I'm not suggesting that anyone should actually invest in individual stocks, unless it's their full time job and they're experts (and even then, most likely they're not going to beat the market). I'm talking about a wide index fund/ETF tracking something like S&P500 (or something even wider than that like VTSAX/VTI). So if that fails, that means everything around you is burning down, or something like that. Plus if you think that the "rich elite" is controlling the governments etc., do you think they're going to let the entire market go bust?

    And the return rate in my post (7% annualized, corrected for inflation) is the average return rate throughout S&P500's existence, which included quite a few of the crises you mention. So at least assuming that future crises are going to be about as severe as the ones before, you're going to be fine. If not, see above.

    And of course, 40 years of savings is not really a "get rich quick scheme".
    I know, you've got a point. But many people get antsy when the market goes south and want to liquidate. Not many have the strength of will to just sit it all out.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  2. #1882
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post
    Oh right so if you avoid paying taxes now you will get ahead in the long run?
    It sounds a bit like a pyramid scheme to me tbh, which is fine and dandy for those at the top.
    Ever heard of a Roth? Taxes have been paid my dood. Look I’m not trying to be mean or bust your balls but learn some things about taxes and basic financial instruments. I really think this country is sorely lacking in financial literacy for most people and that it’s a problem we should be tackling.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    So, while I like the way you're thinking... here's what breaks your argument. Wall St.

    As sure as a swiss clock, every 10-20 years, Wall St. comes along and fucks all your savings. Sure, you say, but the smart guy leaves his money in because Wall St. recuperates. Yes, but only at the mercy of the Government. So, what happens the next time? I guess it'll depend on the Government to bail Wall St. out again, won't it? If you're part of the package that does get bailed out, and not the part that people just let go bust, cos it's cheaper to take the hit than make it work...

    Wall St. is full of criminals habitually embezzling people's savings for their own profit. Or whatever it is they're doing. How many billions of small families incomes have to be destroyed before people like you realise that it's not that easy? Oh put it all in Wall St. They'll make you rich!

    There is no working get rich quick scheme that doesn't reek of fraud. It's as simple as that.
    I’m not sure what your definition of quick is but 40 years isn’t quick in my book. Also we’ve just had another bailout, several in fact larger than the one in ‘08 and it was one that went directly to the American people. Wall Street didn’t need one, they were doing gang busters. You don’t get rich because of Wall Street per de but mostly because you’re protecting the value of your money against inflation. Inflation always hits the ones at the bottom the worst because typically they are the ones who aren’t participating in the market. They just keep running on a treadmill they can’t get off of because their money is worth less and less every year, heck every month. I mean for godsakes the CPI just rose 4.2% and 5% the last two months respectively. And don’t give me any of this ‘but they aren’t paid a living wage’ bull crap I do not make a lot of money, but I get by just fine because I’m not frivolous with my money. That’s not to say that there aren’t other factors keeping some people down but someone working full time in this country does make a living wage. There are far too many entry level jobs these days offering $15/hr plus for the living wage argument to hold any water.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Yeah, turns out the majority do not benefit from a world where big corporations hold 100% of the power.
    You just have to play the game my dude, just play the game. Nobody is stopping you. Is it ideal? Maybe not. Is there something better? Probably. Is it something we could achieve without completely burning society to the ground around us? Not likely and an assload of people would be hurt in the process, mostly the little guy.

    I just have a pragmatic attitude, if you can’t beat them, join them. This is not to say we shouldn’t keep trying to make things better for everyone but at some point people have to help themselves for any real change to happen. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink as the saying goes.

  3. #1883
    I'd love for somebody here to attempt to explain why this situation is a bad one.

    I'd bet money it can't be done.

  4. #1884
    Legendary! unfilteredJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Seagrove Beach, FL
    Posts
    6,690
    Quote Originally Posted by ILFSTE View Post
    I'd love for somebody here to attempt to explain why this situation is a bad one.

    I'd bet money it can't be done.
    Looks at the hundreds of posts prior to this.

    Looks at camera.
    Blessed are the fornicates, may we bend down to be their whores. Blessed are the rich, may our labor deliver them more.
    Blessed are the envious; bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain. Blessed are the gluttonous, may they feast us to famine and war.
    What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful, the meek, the mourning, and the merciful? All doomed, all doomed

  5. #1885
    The Insane Masark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    17,629
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Looks at the hundreds of posts prior to this.

    Looks at camera.
    They're a troll with a burner account. Explaining anything to them is an impossibility.

    Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

  6. #1886
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,697
    Quote Originally Posted by ILFSTE View Post
    I'd love for somebody here to attempt to explain why this situation is a bad one.

    I'd bet money it can't be done.
    Total wealth is a limited, finite resource. Its an amount that may change, over time, at any given moment, there's a pretty clear, finite figure.

    Distribution of that wealth within society affects a great many things.

    When wealth becomes attenuated to as high a degree as it currently is, leaving such a disproportionate amount of society's wealth in the hands of just a few individuals, that necessarily means that those at lower income levels are divvying up an even smaller proportion of society's wealth among them.

    When that fraction of wealth is so small that it cannot cover basic living expenses and support for a modicum of comfort for the poorest in society, that's what systemic poverty is. Systemic poverty has a whole wide range of negative factors associated; crime, health, happiness, you name it.

    When wealth inequality is this disparate, those at the top have a wildly disproportionate impact on policy-making, through both lobbying and less legitimate forms of pressure. This means new tax policies tend to reinforce this paradigm, accentuating and affirming these disparities as a "feature", not a "bug", making them far more difficult to change.

    So there you go; rich people like Bezos existing means that human suffering is practically a necessity to support their position. And not by accident, but by deliberate, willful design.

    Some of us have a problem with the expansion and protection of human misery so that the wealthy can capitalize upon it. This isn't that complicated.


  7. #1887
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    They're a troll with a burner account. Explaining anything to them is an impossibility.
    Sounds like MTG on both points.

  8. #1888
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Sounds like MTG on both points.
    I support both your "liberty and freedom" to make such an assessment.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

  9. #1889
    Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Ever heard of a Roth? Taxes have been paid my dood. Look I’m not trying to be mean or bust your balls but learn some things about taxes and basic financial instruments. I really think this country is sorely lacking in financial literacy for most people and that it’s a problem we should be tackling.
    I was pretty drunk last night my attempt at humour was off the mark I apologise, I'm from the UK and pay 40% feel free to bust my balls about it.

    What I should have said is that I a don't consider the stock market to be a sensible choice for the average person, yes you can make a lot of money, but you can also loose the lot in a blink of an eye if there is a crash.

    Personally I invest in gold with any spare money, I was left some gold Sovereign's by my Grandfather, which I have added to over the last 15 years, I check the price most days and buy when it dip's, I bought quite a lot early last year when it was really cheap, while it doesn't offer the same returns shares can I feel it is a safer choice in the long run and will always have a intrinsic value, you also need to take into account storage and insurance costs with gold.

  10. #1890
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post
    What I should have said is that I a don't consider the stock market to be a sensible choice for the average person, yes you can make a lot of money, but you can also loose the lot in a blink of an eye if there is a crash.
    If you invest in the whole market (rather than hand-picking stocks) and don't actually sell when there's a crash, you're going to be fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post
    Personally I invest in gold with any spare money, I was left some gold Sovereign's by my Grandfather, which I have added to over the last 15 years, I check the price most days and buy when it dip's, I bought quite a lot early last year when it was really cheap, while it doesn't offer the same returns shares can I feel it is a safer choice in the long run and will always have a intrinsic value, you also need to take into account storage and insurance costs with gold.
    On the other hand, gold is barely even an investment, it's mostly a way to protect your money from inflation and not much more, unless we're in a gold bubble.

  11. #1891
    Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Ever heard of a Roth? Taxes have been paid my dood. Look I’m not trying to be mean or bust your balls but learn some things about taxes and basic financial instruments. I really think this country is sorely lacking in financial literacy for most people and that it’s a problem we should be tackling.

    .
    They have been trying for decades to get this stuff taught throughout k-12 but a particular party wants no part of it or any real education reform, cause you know an educated voter.......

    But hey Home Economics teaches you how to cook, clean and do laundry still
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

  12. #1892
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Total wealth is a limited, finite resource. Its an amount that may change, over time, at any given moment, there's a pretty clear, finite figure.

    Distribution of that wealth within society affects a great many things.

    When wealth becomes attenuated to as high a degree as it currently is, leaving such a disproportionate amount of society's wealth in the hands of just a few individuals, that necessarily means that those at lower income levels are divvying up an even smaller proportion of society's wealth among them.

    When that fraction of wealth is so small that it cannot cover basic living expenses and support for a modicum of comfort for the poorest in society, that's what systemic poverty is. Systemic poverty has a whole wide range of negative factors associated; crime, health, happiness, you name it.

    When wealth inequality is this disparate, those at the top have a wildly disproportionate impact on policy-making, through both lobbying and less legitimate forms of pressure. This means new tax policies tend to reinforce this paradigm, accentuating and affirming these disparities as a "feature", not a "bug", making them far more difficult to change.

    So there you go; rich people like Bezos existing means that human suffering is practically a necessity to support their position. And not by accident, but by deliberate, willful design.

    Some of us have a problem with the expansion and protection of human misery so that the wealthy can capitalize upon it. This isn't that complicated.
    You haven't explained how taxxing Bezos more would prevent suffering humans from not suffering anymore.

    Considering this, I would love for you to explain exactly how this would function.

  13. #1893
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,697
    Quote Originally Posted by ILFSTE View Post
    You haven't explained how taxxing Bezos more would prevent suffering humans from not suffering anymore.

    Considering this, I would love for you to explain exactly how this would function.
    Should've been pretty obvious.

    If you can't establish rules to prevent the garnering of such wealth in the first place, you implement taxes to pull that wealth from the wealthy, and provide support programs (such as a basic income) for everyone, to bring up that floor above the level of undue hardship.

    The money you collect in taxes doesn't just vanish into the ether, y'know.


  14. #1894
    Quote Originally Posted by ILFSTE View Post
    You haven't explained how taxxing Bezos more would prevent suffering humans from not suffering anymore.

    Considering this, I would love for you to explain exactly how this would function.
    macho are you ban evading??
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

  15. #1895
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Should've been pretty obvious.

    If you can't establish rules to prevent the garnering of such wealth in the first place, you implement taxes to pull that wealth from the wealthy, and provide support programs (such as a basic income) for everyone, to bring up that floor above the level of undue hardship.

    The money you collect in taxes doesn't just vanish into the ether, y'know.
    I'm going to introduce you to some mind blowing ideas.

    1. The assumption that equally distributing all means of purchasing power creates a better society is wrong. (You seem to assume it does).

    2. Even if we assume equal distribution of purchasing power does create a better society, taxing the rich to give to the poor isn't actually the best way to do it. (A much better way would be to encourage the rich to spend, which means the poor need to become productive members of society, not freeloaders).

    3. The third and final wrong assumption you make is that rich members of society are directly responsible for creating poor members of society. They aren't. It's the complete opposite. Rich members of society actually uplift all members of society in nearly all cases of the modern World.
    Last edited by ILFSTE; 2021-06-12 at 08:49 PM.

  16. #1896
    Quote Originally Posted by ILFSTE View Post
    I'm going to introduce you to some mind blowing ideas.

    1. The assumption that equally distributing all means of purchasing power creates a better society is wrong. (You seem to assume it does).

    2. Even if we assume equal distribution of purchasing power does create a better society, taxing the rich to give to the poor isn't actually the best way to do it. (A much better way would be to encourage the rich to spend, which means the poor need to become productive members of society, not freeloaders).

    3. The third and final wrong assumption you make is that rich members of society are directly responsible for creating poor members of society. They aren't.
    Seems that you based your premise of the assumption that poor people are not productive ?

  17. #1897
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Seems that you based your premise of the assumption that poor people are not productive ?
    Being poor means you have no purchasing power.

    If members of society don't have purchasing power, that direct society can't and doesn't prosper.

    Slaves who work for free benefit other societies, but they can't and don't benefit their own.

    Thus, they aren't productive members of their own society.

  18. #1898
    Quote Originally Posted by ILFSTE View Post
    A much better way would be to encourage the rich to spend, which means the poor need to become productive members of society, not freeloaders).
    Fucking trickledown? You still trying to sell that shit to people with more than one working braincell? And you followed that up with the old "rich means hard-working, poor is lazy" trope.

    If the rich aren't paying you to try and push this shit, I've got to question why the hell you are doing it. Unless you genuinely believe it, in which case I'll chuckle to myself and stop bothering to talk to you.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

  19. #1899
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Fucking trickledown? You still trying to sell that shit to people with more than one working braincell? And you followed that up with the old "rich means hard-working, poor is lazy" trope.

    If the rich aren't paying you to try and push this shit, I've got to question why the hell you are doing it. Unless you genuinely believe it, in which case I'll chuckle to myself and stop bothering to talk to you.
    In context, the rich pay way more taxes than the poor.

    Way more.

    This thread is about forcefully making them pay even more than their current rates, and then assuming that the Government will equally give it away freely to poorer members of society.

    Which is a fucking terrible idea.

    Plus, you aren't even talking about taxes. You're talking about employees paying higher salaries.
    Last edited by ILFSTE; 2021-06-12 at 08:57 PM.

  20. #1900
    Quote Originally Posted by ILFSTE View Post
    In context, the rich pay way more taxes than the poor.

    Way more.

    This thread is about forcefully making them pay even more than their current rates, and then assuming that the Government will equally give it away freely to poorer members of society.

    Which is a fucking terrible idea.

    Plus, you aren't even talking about taxes. You're talking about employees paying higher salaries.




    it was a great idea in decades where the economy did so much better than its doing now. What's changed? Rich somehow managed to remain rich even back then and if you adjust for inflation probably richer then the top 5 right now.



    P.s they also have way more wealth/income/etc. The shock they pay way more taxes than the poor...shocking!!
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •