Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    The fuck... employees do not contribute to any measure of "wealth" in a modern state. That's a fucked up style of thinking the US eradicated a long time ago, I'd have hoped. The company's wealth comes from the services it provides, the products it produces, the assets it owns, the cash it has stashed away, those are all tangible things you can convert into monetary value. "Having someone willing to work for you for a slave salary" is not wealth. You can't sell someone to convert them into monetary value.
    I was referring to the jobs themselves as being part of the company as a whole. The value is based on revenue, costs, property, and whatnot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by omerome View Post
    I made no such point for you. I clearly stated that you seem to think that anyone who's not super-rich is comparable to what evasion of paying taxes that Bezos, Musk, Bloomberg, and others get away with.

How in any way can you insinuate that people in poverty are leeches when in fact many of them work super hard just so they can survive?

I am not pushing a ton of burden on these rich people, they obviously are doing very well for themselves right now mostly because of the contributions of society and many of them will still be doing very well for themselves afterward. If let's say, Lynsi Synder were to find herself in financial ruin just to pay what she should owe, that's no one's fault but her own.

To say that I should pay more. Why? I am not relevant to this discussion because I am not part of what the article of this thread is about. I am not the one who has avoided getting away with paying taxes (which by the way, for these people, measure in the billions). And if I did, the IRS would have sent a letter to me by now.
    It's your straw man, I simply turned it around on you.

Bezos pays a higher percentage of his income than the average American does.

That's the point, you people always want someone else to pay more... not so much when you get called to do it.

Well, honestly, I think everyone pretty much agrees anyway. And to be honest, Machismo just locked himself into a dissenting opinion right at the very start, probably a half-assed opinion post dissing on the poor and then he got roped into justifying his fucked up view and 100 pages later his pride won't let him admit talking out of his ass and here we are... Just forum things.
    How many times has he claimed an opposing opinion "agrees" with him?

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    He genuinely believes taking anything more than they may already be giving is literally a hardship being pushed on to these million/billionaires.

He's an utter whackadoodle.

Its bad enough he never actually has his own argument. He pushes and pushes until another poster will post their argument and then simply attack that. He's a joke. I'm not sure why this thread is still even going on, it literally hasn't gone anywhere.
    So, how much more are you willing to pay, before it becomes a hardship?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Imagine the yacht's they'll have to wait another year to buy, that fifth summer home in France that may now be just out of reach, needing to take their private jet out for a spin a bit less often to save on fuel.

Truly, this is a hardship none of us can appreciate and understand.
    Eh, you have no idea how hard it is slumming in Southern France and not being able to have the perfect house for every season of the year. Please, standards must be maintained. What will the people in Monaco think if you go visit and say "I had to book at the hotel, cos I had to sell my apartment so I can afford my other 4 mansions in France."

Oh, the social shame of making such admissions in public, not tolerable!
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I've already told you that I don't play your little games. Now, kindly take a long walk off a short pier.
    That's the point.

"More from then, but I cannot be bothered..."

Eh, you have no idea how hard it is slumming in Southern France and not being able to have the perfect house for every season of the year. Please, standards must be maintained. What will the people in Monaco think if you go visit and say "I had to book at the hotel, cos I had to sell my apartment so I can afford my other 4 mansions in France."

Oh, the social shame of making such admissions in public, not tolerable!
    Regular people will never understand the trials and tribulations of the ultra-wealthy. We just can't comprehend their financial suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you think employees are the property of the company they work for, hoo boy, do we have at least one Constitutional Amendment to go over with you. At a minimum.

Employees are not a component of wealth, dude.
    Typical lefty that takes employees for granted.

Employees are actually the most valuable part of any business.

Thank God my corporate company recognises this and pays me a decent salary.

Your government employers must treat you like garbage for you to have such a low esteem of employees.

Regular people will never understand the trials and tribulations of the ultra-wealthy. We just can't comprehend their financial suffering.
    I get that you want to minimize this.

But, how would you feel if the government took your small business away from you? How would you feel if they decided to jack up your taxes, and force you off a farm your family owned for 60 years, even though it was successful?

People want to blame libertarians for not having empathy, so let's try to empathize with someone like Lynsi Snyder. Imagine your grandfather built a small ranch, and through the years, your family made it bigger, and more successful. As a result, you went from a few head of cattle, to 10,000 heads. Well, then the government comes along, and says that because your family did such a goof job, they want to force you to sell some of your land, and cattle?

So, let's see who isn't capable of empathy.

Yes, and of course having the company pay for everything is such a hassle, legally. You have to actually pick up the phone and call your private lawyer army to hammer everything out so nobody can tax you for buying that new business jet, either... ugh, what a drag!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post

But, how would you feel if the government took your small business away from you? How would you feel if they decided to jack up your taxes, and force you off a farm your family owned for 60 years, even though it was successful?

People want to blame libertarians for not having empathy, so let's try to empathize with someone like Lynsi Snyder. Imagine your grandfather built a small ranch, and through the years, your family made it bigger, and more successful. As a result, you went from a few head of cattle, to 10,000 heads. Well, then the government comes along, and says that because your family did such a goof job, they want to force you to sell some of your land, and cattle?

So, let's see who isn't capable of empathy.
    Small business that barely floats vs. having stock in a company that's worth 100 billion. Do you understand how silly that comparison is?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Yes, and of course having the company pay for everything is such a hassle, legally. You have to actually pick up the phone and call your private lawyer army to hammer everything out so nobody can tax you for buying that new business jet, either... ugh, what a drag!

- - - Updated - - -

Small business that barely floats vs. having stock in a company that's worth 100 billion. Do you understand how silly that comparison is?
    It's not barely floating, that's the thing. They are specifically going after your family's ranch, because it's not barely getting by.

That's why Lynsi Snyder (and others) is such a problem for your "eat the rich" narrative. Sure, Bezos is an easy guy to hate, he practically looks like Lex Luthor. The same goes for Elon Musk, who is a smug douchebag. But, then you have people like Lynsi Snyder, who by almost all accounts, are great to their employees.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2021-06-15 at 04:49 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LvsRDeb View Post
    That's some dumb debating right there.

The bigger question is why should ownership be transferred to those that didn't create or manage said business.

You just want the private sector to do all the work and the ownership of said work be transferred to public management.

You are a typical "do as i say, not as i do" baffoon type of person.

Little understanding of pragmatic approaches and probably work in a public sector bubble, or been a welfare recipient your whole life.
    I too wish those that created the wealth ought to own the companies!
    Give them to the workers!
    - Lars

I'm not minimizing anything, I'm thinking of the poor souls that may have to go with domestic caviar or tighten their belts and reduce their wine budget from $1M annually to $500K annually.

These are huge sacrifices that we need to take into account when we ask ourselves if we should tax the ultra-wealthy just a bit more to ensure that like, poor children don't starve.

People need to think about the consequences of what they're proposing.

10+ Year Old Account
    It impacts jobs, or are you stupid enough to think such a shake-up in a family business wouldn't have impacts?
    Why would it? You're confusing the management of the business with the ownership. They're not the same thing.

It's her company, she determines how many jobs exist.
    As the person who runs the company, in some sense, perhaps.

That's not part of ownership.

You mean less than half after 17 years. She's lose control.
    Have you never heard of non-voting stock?

And even if she does lose a majority controlling share, why am I supposed to think that's a "bad thing", again? You never explain this.

I'm not minimizing anything, I'm thinking of the poor souls that may have to go with domestic caviar or tighten their belts and reduce their wine budget from $1M annually to $500K annually.

These are huge sacrifices that we need to take into account when we ask ourselves if we should tax the ultra-wealthy just a bit more to ensure that like, poor children don't starve.
    yep, that's exactly what you are doing.

It's not about going to one less yacht, it's about them being forced to sell their company they spent their entire lives building.

Man, I guess you guys never get to whine about people not being empathetic.

17 years. That's how long it will take for you to take Lynsi Snyder's company from her.

10+ Year Old Account

But, how would you feel if the government took your small business away from you?
    Care to guess why this is a dishonest argument when we're talking about a wealth tax?

I'll give you a hint; I put the relevant bit in bold.

How would you feel if they decided to jack up your taxes, and force you off a farm your family owned for 60 years, even though it was successful?
    How many "family farms" are worth significantly north of $50 million, again?

Why would it? You're confusing the management of the business with the ownership. They're not the same thing.

As the person who runs the company, in some sense, perhaps.

That's not part of ownership.

Have you never heard of non-voting stock?

And even if she does lose a majority controlling share, why am I supposed to think that's a "bad thing", again? You never explain this.
    It happens all the time. They could simply stop expanding, close locations, or even cut staff.

She owns the entire fucking company. It's her company.

Asked, answered, covered... and ignored by you.

10+ Year Old Account
    17 years. That's how long it will take for you to take Lynsi Snyder's company from her.
    I'd like to underscore that you only arrived at this figure by presuming, falsely, that Snyder would have $0 in either income or capital gains throughout these 17 years.

Care to guess why this is a dishonest argument when we're talking about a wealth tax?

I'll give you a hint; I put the relevant bit in bold.

How many "family farms" are worth significantly north of $50 million, again?
    I was trying to make it more relatable.

Would you rather I discuss you built a large company, and the government wants to take it away from you, because you are successful?

You cannot fathom such a thing, so I sought to make it more "middle class."

It's not about going to one less yacht, it's about them being forced to sell their company they spent their entire lives building.
    From the wee age of 6 years old, you could see the glimmer in young Jeff Bezo's eyes as he was mentally building out his 20 year plan for Amazon.

Man, I guess you guys never get to whine about people not being empathetic.
    I am! I'm thinking about the suffering that the ultra-wealthy must endure so that we can maybe make sure a poor kid doesn't literally starve. What's worse, a poor starving child or a billionaire not being able to expand their collection of Mesopotamian sex toys?

I'd like to underscore that you only arrived at this figure by presuming, falsely, that Snyder would have $0 in either income or capital gains throughout these 17 years.
    Nope, the math was provided. Feel free to refute it with your own.

I fucking dare you.