Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

How many hours is worth the money?

How many hours would you say is worth the money from a game?
    Say you buy a AAA game for 60 EUR/USD, how much time playing the game would you say, "This was worth the money"?
    Also, do you expect less game time when paying less, say an Indie game or any cheaper game from a big company?

EDIT: The reason i picked Time as a unit here is because it's a generic, adding gameplay, graphics etc, alot of it comes down to personal preferences. While if you measure it in time, you can see a bit more general overview. Say you read a review of a game from someone playing it for 10 minutes and saying the game sucks. Compares to someone playing it for 2 hours or more claiming it sucks. Which opinion would you trust more? Maybe the beginning is really bad, but it becomes better etc.

Also, you are paying say 60 EUR/USD for a game, which you would have spent real hours trying to earn, so kinda wondering if you spend 6 hours getting the money, how much hours do you expect in return from a game then. Hope this answers why i picked Hours and not anything else to measure it
    Last edited by zetitup; 2021-06-09 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zetitup View Post
    Say you buy a AAA game for 60 EUR/USD, how much time playing the game would you say, "This was worth the money"?
    Also, do you expect less game time when paying less, say an Indie game or any cheaper game from a big company?
    I tend not to measure quality in units of time, but typically no less than 10 hours at least, but that'd have to be a damn good game.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

I'm a big fan of city builders, economy games and turn based strategy. I would never spend 60€ on a game that I can be "done" with. But If I have to call a number, then I would say 200-300 hours.

I can see multiple films, or multiple seasons of a great show for that price

I’d argue it at least needs to rival a season of a great show. 8-12 hours

I think games should be shorter and cheaper. Who wants to stick with the same thing for 100 hours?

Really hard to say honestly,the only games i buy at full price are stuff that can usualy offer over 100 hours of gameplay

stuff like grim dawn(an action rpg i have 900 hours on),witcher 3,fallout games(however to be fair if mods didnt exist it would cut my time played on them by like 90% easily),dying light,assasins creed (the recent rpg ones like oddysey origin valhala)

EDIT: The reason i picked Time as a unit here is because it's a generic, adding gameplay, graphics etc, alot of it comes down to personal preferences. While if you measure it in time, you can see a bit more general overview. Say you read a review of a game from someone playing it for 10 minutes and saying the game sucks. Compares to someone playing it for 2 hours or more claiming it sucks. Which opinion would you trust more? Maybe the beginning is really bad, but it becomes better etc.

Also, you are paying say 60 EUR/USD for a game, which you would have spent real hours trying to earn, so kinda wondering if you spend 6 hours getting the money, how much hours do you expect in return from a game then. Hope this answers why i picked Hours and not anything else to measure it
    If i am paying 60 euros for a game i aspect at least over 40h+ of gameplay, and it is rushed gameplay not exploring every coner and side plot gameplay.

One of the reason why i always wait 1 year or so or buy games second hand. they are just not worth the money.

Time is a extremely poor measurement on a games value.

I rather have a amazing 6 hours that cost me $70 than 100 of meh hours that cost me $30.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    If I equate price with value, $60 USD is a little over an hour of my times 'value.'
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

I pretty much do not buy a game if it wont give me 1e/hour, which is why i dont buy 99% of the single player games for the last 10 years or so.

And by 1e/hour i mean the main quest line, hence why i dont buy things, this whole 20hr of main quest line and 200 hours of sidequests doesnt do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I think games should be shorter and cheaper. Who wants to stick with the same thing for 100 hours?
    Have you ever heard of WoW?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

I'm really picky with the games I buy nowadays so it's not very often I end up with a game I'm unsure about (& even if I do I'll just refund it on Steam).

It depends on the game. There's some Visual Novels I want to read, but some of them are like £55 for 10-15 hours of reading, which is so far above the medium average that I just can't justify it & decide to wait for sales.

I rarely count hours and use quality of experience instead.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

It has to be games that I would want to keep going back to. The best examples of this are Skyrim, supreme commander forged alliance, stardew valley. These are good games that I will play obsessively for a while, then leave them alone for a while and go back to them obsessively for a while. These games have good gameplay features that fill a want. WOW is definitely a game like this for me but I wish I didn't have to pay a monthly fee for it.

I often go with 1€/h.

It might not be all, but its the first line. A game has to convince me that its worth the money I use for it.

Sadly that doesnt seem to happen often.

At any rate, even if game is indeed worthy of, say 40€-60€, I will not buy it, if its very short game.

1€ per hour thereabouts at the very least. Many of the games I play today I've spent hundreds - or in some cases thousands - of hours.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I don't pay 60€ for games where i don't have hundreds of hours of fun.
    I would pay 100€ for Stellaris for example. Played nearly 1000h... sooo....
    Mass Effect was worth it becaus ei replayed every game at least 5 times.

Bladurs Gate 2. Amazing story.

On the other side i bought baldurs gate 3 and i am bitter about every cent...
    Anything below 40h is a absolute no go for 60€ for me.

7+ Year Old Account
    1-2€ an hour.
    I'm not gonna pay 60€ for a game with only 10-15 hours of content (or less), regardless of its quality.

Too high of a price of the amount of content offered.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    People with actual attention spans who are playing for mechanical experience (as in, we enjoy the act of controlling the character(s)) in addition to story?

To answer OP: A game is a good value at $60 when it has at least 40 hours of actual quality gameplay. In addition, for a game to make my top 10 games of all-time, it usually has to have 20+ hours of unique and novel campaign gameplay and a relatively unlimited form of some kind that I can rack up hundreds of hours doing.

Fallout 3/4, Armored core 2/3/4, Dark Souls 1/2/3, Halo, to name a few. I can't actually recall a super recent game that fits my definition. Cyberpunk had potential, but that botched on launch so I'm staying away from it until GOTY edition sale.

Just reducing it to money/time is too simple a metric. Other things matter, too.

Just because I end up playing 200 hours of some multiplayer shooter doesn't mean I think it's got higher "value" than, say, an RPG I finished after 50 hours. It's just not a comparable metric.