Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Tough to say. I've played games that lasted 20 hours and I wish lasted another 20, and I've played games for 5 hours and wished it was over already.

But to express something in hours, I'd say a singleplayer, non-replayable linear story game lastsing around 12 hours is good enough.

Pit Lord
    x hours, where x is a completely variable number depending on every aspect of the game

hard to say until i've actually experienced them.
    but normally the games i enjoy the most last me hundreds even thousands of hours.
    so a 60$ price tag would be a non issue and some of them are even free.

when it comes to single player games though i find most value in game passes(pay for a month to play as much stuff as you can). as they often don't have much replayability for me so a full price doesn't seem worth it.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    Have you ever heard of WoW?
    Well...I bring that up, saying how it is 50 cents per day - and obviously ppl still think that is too expensive.

So yeah...the measurement is highly personally (also influenced by how much you want to annoy ppl on forums)

The lower length a game is, the higher the quality of that game needs to be. As for what the minimum is, that's hard to say, I feel like it would be hard to avoid public backlash with a sub 10 hour game for full price.

Can't go by hours, have to go by quality. Time is relative. Each perspective is different. Each of us, if we stay alive, will spend 24 hours a day doing something.

Instead, one has to judge a videogame by how big a mark it made in one's memories, or how often one references it, or how important it is to that individual, when all the long, good, but forgotten videogames are long since trashed.

Does anyone remember how much they paid to see their favorite movie, or judge books by how many pages they have?

Instead of some arbitrary length standard, one should consider deciding on future games based on one's own personal taste, community suggestions, individual and trustworthy reviews, or at the very least, a broader set of metadata than "average time to completion for one trip through the single player campaign on normal."

I'm thinking of some games I might have missed, had I eliminated games based on something like this.

Braid
    Resident Evil 2
    Undertale
    Inside
    Symphony of the Night
    Some of the Zelda games
    MGS1 was perhaps a little longer than some listed, but still not as long as many games

That's just off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-06-09 at 09:32 PM.

After DOTA 2 even 10$ are hard to justify...

But again no one here will get it...

For single player games, 1h = 1€ for me.

Quality > quantity. I'm rather irritated by the amount of padding in games. Persona 5 and Witcher 3 might be "100+ hours long", but was that 100+ hours of good gameplay? Hell no. I'd rather that they had been cut down to 30 hours of great gameplay. Those games do not respect my time.

On the other hand, for a $60 game with nothing going for it but a campaign, a campaign less than 10 hours long better be the most amazing campaign I've ever played.

. - - - - - Come play MMO-C mafia with us! / Steam / MyAnimeList - - - - -

400 plus hours usually. That includes multiplayer, replays and doing achievements and everything.

Less if it's a very high quality game I want to support but it's rare.

Probably a couple of hours at least, I suppose.
    Hi

I think the easiest way to equate your entertainment value of a said product is to compare it to other forms of entertainment that you spend money to as a service (netflix, wow sub, cable, ect...). If you watch 40hrs of TV per week put a value on that which is comparable to the time spent on the video game. It's of course 100% subjective and you might place a higher or lower value of your time than someone else.

Edited to add: You might also place a value on your time not doing something else that costs money, i.e. spending time at a bar, eating out too often, watching movies in the theater and so on. If and friend and I went a bar with current prices as they are it would be very easy to drop $100 on drinks. So if you went to the mart and picked up a a 6ixr and went back to the flat to game you just saved a shit load on your entertainment for the night.
    Last edited by InflaterMouse; 2021-06-10 at 02:32 AM.

Keyboard Turner
    So many people are saying they'd pay $1 per hour and thats great value. I live in Canada and going to see a movie costs about $15 per person plus food and such. I'm not sure how you can expect a game to be worth $1 per hour with all the work that goes into creating it. Most games don't have the funding of a Marvel movie as example.

Easy equation, $1 per hour minimum. If it has a 20 hour campaign I can wait till it goes on sale for under 20 bucks. That's certainly not the only factor, but it is a baseline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I think games should be shorter and cheaper. Who wants to stick with the same thing for 100 hours?
    Skyrim, Witcher 3, ESO, WoW are all well over 100 hours and they're solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstaar View Post
    Most games don't have the funding of a Marvel movie as example.
    Stop making games with Marvel movie budgets.

. - - - - - Come play MMO-C mafia with us! / Steam / MyAnimeList - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Witcher 3 might be "100+ hours long", but was that 100+ hours of good gameplay? Hell no. I'd rather that they had been cut down to 30 hours of great gameplay. Those games do not respect my time.
    Imagine complaining about optional content in an RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstaar View Post
    So many people are saying they'd pay $1 per hour and thats great value. I live in Canada and going to see a movie costs about $15 per person plus food and such. I'm not sure how you can expect a game to be worth $1 per hour with all the work that goes into creating it. Most games don't have the funding of a Marvel movie as example.
    Most of us don't go to movies, either - terrible value for the money. To your odd point the video game industry isn't struggling to pay the bills, they don't need you to white night them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

20+ hours for sure, and that's assuming the quality of the experience is very high.

I typically don't buy games at full price for that reason. Either wait for a big sale, or don't play them at all. Not going to dump $60 on a game I twiddle around in for two or three evenings.

Scarab Lord
    I literally don't care as long as the game is good.

I've played plenty of 60 dollar campaigns that are 6-12 hours that I thought was worth my money, and I've played games like Skyrim which is "longer" but is not nearly as enjoyable of an experience to me. A lot of games like Skyrim or "open world" are very "samesy" and don't feel all that different, while essentially padding game time IMO.