Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ...
6
14
15
16
17
18
... LastLast
  1. #301
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Not quite.

    Vince is now in charge of the franchise, but it sounds like they want to build a "connected universe" around 2042 somehow. DICE working on the core game, Ripple on "new experiences", and another studio on "Narrative" that's run by a former Halo dev.
    Bascially, they're gonna milk the fuck out of it and dilute the entire franchise. I don't see any of this as good news, the cynic in me is trying to work out why and how this is bad.

    I honestly don't know how much of this plays into the poor reception of 2042, the previous lead for 2042 departed recently for another job (I believe) so he needed a replacement anyways. Seems like EA are taking the same approach that Ubi announced earlier for AC - with a connected universe of games tied to a central "experience".
    None of it does, if you think this is them reacting to the poor reception you're sorely mistaken. This kind of stuff is planend months in advance, especially senior people stepping down. This is just PR timing to make it look like they're reacting.

    BF has never been about narrative or experience, so the fact they're saying this has me even more worried - they're totally out of touch with the core of the game.

    BF has always meant an immense amount to EA, it's a core franchise for them in the same way that CoD is a core franchise for Activision or AC is for Ubi. Not to mention DICE essentially being their tech-focused studio that developed, maintains, and expands the Frostbyte engine they use across just about every game (though is not mandatory).
    It has in terms in $$$ and share price, nothing else. They don't care about the game, DICE Sweden don't even care about it, they haven't put out a working game in years without some other studio having to step up to fix it... looking at you BF4.

    Frostbite is notoriously buggy and shit to work with. There are bugs in the game that were present in BF3. Even DICE can't fix their own crappy engine and it took them months just to make a shitty tornado that doesn't actually do anything.

    He's still running Respawn though, so Apex and whatever else they're working on right now are under his leadership. I worry about him doing both roles, since they're functionally both full time jobs that one person is doing. Though Vince has a spectacular history so I trust he'll do good work, I just worry about him not sleeping and shit.
    Apex isn't my thing so I won't shit on it as I don't know much, but just remember this is the same studio that let Titanfall die for this, because it was so much more profitable. TF2 was a fantastic game that suffered from middle child syndrome when it was released.

    We'll see how the improvements are though. So far it's been a bit of a mixed bag, just like the game at launch. I don't think they can ever fully "redeem" the game, too many of the issues are fairly structural or would require them to literally remake maps from scratch, and they're still playing catch-up in adding systems and features that have long existed in the BF games but were not included in 2042.
    What's needed to redeem it is actually very simple, it's just not easy.

    a) make specialists class specific and bring the class system back.
    b) make maps smaller and more detailed with actual flow and cover, and actually play tested.

    then a myriad of small things like remove the god awful voice lines, the long match intros, re-enable full xp on portal with bots (after they promised that would be a thing, lol at people who believed them after all their lies on BFV)

    I imagine it's not doing super well for EA given that they haven't put out any announcements bragging about sales, but we don't know how good/bad it did so can't say how much is "damage control" vs. just normal post-launch operations. We'll find out more on their next earnings call, at least.
    Stock is down from 145 on Nov 12 (early access) to 122 rn, that tells you all you need to know.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

  2. #302
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Wait, you can get weapon progression/XP from farming bots? >.>

    - - - Updated - - -

    https://twitter.com/BattlefieldComm/...wl78hvYPw&s=19

    Thread on the skins.

    TLDR: This isn't actually planned for this year apparently, it's data for next year. They just are making a lot of assets early so they're ready to go since the art team needs to stay busy. It's also likely for Portal only.

    Just weapon skins coming for now.


    Use Angel for the ammo refill, pick your weapon, enjoy grinding.

    So when you enter the building, do it from the southwest side and use those elevators, use smoke grenades (have them prepped to throw before the door opens) because there will be 20-25 AI almost right on top of you, run immediately to the left and drown a ledge. Go to the spot in the video and have fun shooting. I would recommend lying down as opposed to standing up since the AI can shoot you standing up, but the camera will be a little janky since you're on different levels of the ground. I would also recommend not dropping the enemy numbers below 10 (you'll always see 1-# since you're in the flag capture area since your team will come up and kill some). Matches can take between 20-30 minutes.

    XP was capped and for some reason, they must've removed the cap and I've gotten a couple levels doing 3 weapons. You will reach Mastery 12-14 for said weapon with about 450-550 kills.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

  3. #303
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Bascially, they're gonna milk the fuck out of it and dilute the entire franchise. I don't see any of this as good news, the cynic in me is trying to work out why and how this is bad.
    Maybe but not really? Building "connected universe" games is all the rage now, just like Ubi is doing with AC. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with that, and if it leads to say, the "core" 2042 experience (once it's good) being the hub, and them being able to release stand-alone campaigns or other multiplayer modes etc. that all connect to the core game, that's not bad.

    And with Vince in charge of the franchise now, I'm far more optimistic. Vice is a real G.

    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    None of it does, if you think this is them reacting to the poor reception you're sorely mistaken. This kind of stuff is planend months in advance, especially senior people stepping down. This is just PR timing to make it look like they're reacting.
    Agreed with the former, disagree with the last bit. It's not "PR timing" since there's no way this was planned to be announced now or anything. It's just coincidental timing. This ain't even really "good PR".

    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    BF has never been about narrative or experience, so the fact they're saying this has me even more worried - they're totally out of touch with the core of the game.
    At its core, no. But it has a long history of having campaigns, which are noticeably missing from this version of the game, which also depressingly has a smaller multiplayer offering than other BF games that had the campaigns.

    I actually really liked the BF1/V campaigns, and if they can have a separate team working on good narrative experiences for the near-future dystopia I'm here for it. There's a lot of really cool/interesting/fun stuff they can do with that without impacting the core MP experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    It has in terms in $$$ and share price, nothing else. They don't care about the game, DICE Sweden don't even care about it, they haven't put out a working game in years without some other studio having to step up to fix it... looking at you BF4.
    Yeah...the value of any IP is why it's valuable. They have no inherent value on their own, only their ability to be a revenue-generating property.

    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Frostbite is notoriously buggy and shit to work with. There are bugs in the game that were present in BF3. Even DICE can't fix their own crappy engine and it took them months just to make a shitty tornado that doesn't actually do anything.
    It's got good and bad things about it, no engine is perfect. But it still seems like a largely solid engine, outside of maybe garbage dev tools (though most of that IIRC comes from BioWare, who struggled with the engine). That it's used across Madden, NFS, and all kinds of other games is actually pretty impressive and versatile.

    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Apex isn't my thing so I won't shit on it as I don't know much, but just remember this is the same studio that let Titanfall die for this, because it was so much more profitable. TF2 was a fantastic game that suffered from middle child syndrome when it was released.
    You say this as if Respawn...

    A) Wants to make another TF game right now (they may not)
    B) Has 100% control over every game they make and what budgets are (they don't, no studio under a publisher does, see EA rejecting DICE's Battlefront 3 pitch)
    C) Could control EA sending TF2 out to die sandwiched between BF 1 and CoD...whatever it was that year.

    EA took it out back and shanked it with the release timing, I agree. But I don't put that on Vince, I put that on EA.

    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    a) make specialists class specific and bring the class system back.
    Hard disagree on this. I know it's a big departure, but honestly I think moving away from the class system and adding a ton more flexibility for players is a step forward for the franchise. There's definitely some balancing that needs to be done around it, but I love being able to keep my medic loadout but dynamically change between AA/ground rockets depending on what's going on at a given moment, for example.

    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    b) make maps smaller and more detailed with actual flow and cover, and actually play tested.
    Agree, though I imagine that the "detail" isn't possible given the 128 players eating up a lot of hardware budget. Apparently the 64 player maps in Rush are pretty popular right now, so maybe that's a route they go down...if they decide to make it permanent (which it bloody should be).

    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    then a myriad of small things like remove the god awful voice lines, the long match intros, re-enable full xp on portal with bots (after they promised that would be a thing, lol at people who believed them after all their lies on BFV)
    Voice lines are garbage, agreed.
    Match intros seem more like hidden loading screens than anything else, though if they can shorten it, please.
    They did that...and then apparently disabled it a few hours later as folks again quickly figured out how to exploit the shit outta it.

    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Stock is down from 145 on Nov 12 (early access) to 122 rn, that tells you all you need to know.
    Yeah, it's been bouncing around quite a bit throughout the year, though this is the lowest dip (and it's going back up). They were in the mid-120's for much of March and some of April, bounced back up, went back down again in September, went back up. I don't see it continuing to dip right now unless something new and significantly bad happens.

    Edit: Watching the Angry Joe review for giggles, not taking it remotely seriously (though I agree with him on a lot in the video so far).

    https://youtu.be/ihsRc27QVco?t=2690

    WARNING LOUD AND AWFUL AUDIO

    Holy shit I forgot how bad the soundtrack is. I turned it off because it straight up sounds like my computer was breaking. I genuinely don't get how such an awful collection of cacophonous sounds was assembled, listened to, and approved for release. This is quite possibly the worst soundtrack I've ever heard in my life, and it kills me how awful it is when you compare it to the average/good soundtracks in previous games, especially BF1/V.

    I guess there's a video of the audio team working on it and...yeah, it's exactly what you think. Them bashing a lot of random shit and running violin bows on large pieces of pipe to make deeply unpleasant noises.

    Edit 2: Welp, guess they couldn't be bothered to shit out a second patch on PC (since there's no console cert process to go through) to fix the aiming issue, and I can't be bothered to try the handful of workarounds.

    I have a very love/hate relationship with this game, right now it's leaning a lot more towards hate with this kind of bullshit : |
    Last edited by Edge-; 2021-12-03 at 02:50 AM.

  4. #304
    Angry Joe's critique video of battlefield 2042 is an hour and a half long without any filler? Damn thats going to be a tear down.

  5. #305
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    Angry Joe's critique video of battlefield 2042 is an hour and a half long without any filler? Damn thats going to be a tear down.
    I'm about an hour into it and they're just getting to portal. First like, 45 minutes is them talking about the main game, next 15 is a brief trip to hellfire or whatever the "not BR" mode is, and they're just starting on portal now.

    A lot of it covers issues that have been addressed (like not being able to res players if their pinky toe was colliding with any geometry and the pre-nerf hovercraft and the endless "persistence data could not be found"). He's still a bit over the top, but that's kinda his schtick, and surprisingly I don't think he's even that over the top about 2042 from what I've heard.

    I was going to listen to the rest while I played a round or two, but I guess that's not happening until they fix whatever the hell bug they introduced that fucked PC's/mouse users.

  6. #306
    So Edge about that player count - it is down by 70% since the launch. EA stocks - 18%
    https://www.tweaktown.com/news/83110...nch/index.html

    Yeah, they really need changes and we can see some big ones are being done, at least organisation wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  7. #307
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    So Edge about that player count - it is down by 70% since the launch. EA stocks - 18%
    https://www.tweaktown.com/news/83110...nch/index.html

    Yeah, they really need changes and we can see some big ones are being done, at least organisation wise.
    Yeah, there are still 100k+ concurrent from what I've seen when you combine all platforms. And stocks are fickle, so while this is a bigger dip than before it's still likely to bounce back (as it's been doing the past two days).

    I just want them to fix the god-damned aim bug on PC. The suggested fixes still aren't working for me and game is unplayable. There's no excuse for this to last into the weekend, this is a PC issue and they can push a PC patch live whenever they have a build ready. They don't have to fuck around with console cert timelines or anything.

    They have a lot of good changes in these patches so far, but each one also seems to bring with it all kinds of new and awful bugs that continue to make it difficult to consistently enjoy the experience.

    I hope Vince can get the franchise back on track, even if it won't be a quick fix for a guy who already has a full time job running a studio working on multiple titles.

  8. #308
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yeah, there are still 100k+ concurrent from what I've seen when you combine all platforms. And stocks are fickle, so while this is a bigger dip than before it's still likely to bounce back (as it's been doing the past two days).

    I just want them to fix the god-damned aim bug on PC. The suggested fixes still aren't working for me and game is unplayable. There's no excuse for this to last into the weekend, this is a PC issue and they can push a PC patch live whenever they have a build ready. They don't have to fuck around with console cert timelines or anything.

    They have a lot of good changes in these patches so far, but each one also seems to bring with it all kinds of new and awful bugs that continue to make it difficult to consistently enjoy the experience.

    I hope Vince can get the franchise back on track, even if it won't be a quick fix for a guy who already has a full time job running a studio working on multiple titles.
    I think the funniest thing I saw was people getting pissed about their mouse suddenly doing wrong movements because patch overrode settings.
    That's... not a good QA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  9. #309
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    That's... not a good QA.
    It's not. But it very much seems that everyone that bought the game are the primary QA for it now, with internal QA mostly just making sure it doesn't brick hardware and calling it a day.

  10. #310
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's not. But it very much seems that everyone that bought the game are the primary QA for it now, with internal QA mostly just making sure it doesn't brick hardware and calling it a day.
    Welcome to Microsoft's approach. YOU/WE are the testers /meme
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  11. #311
    Welp, in some good news after trying like 50 times I finally fixed the mouse issue. Guess DICE couldn't be bothered to fix it in the 48 hours after they made the game literally unplayable on PC, I feel bad for all the PC players that won't be aware of this bug/workarounds/that DICE is at least aware of it and will be frustrated when they try to blow some shit up.

    Seriously, I hate paying to be QA for a AAA developer.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Rush is pretty legit, I hope they keep it around as a permanent mode.

    But man, they need to do something about AFK detection and shit. Almost every fuckin match I've got someone who's either 100% AFK (dies and stays dead) or only seems to move around enough to avoid whatever system is in place while doing literally nothing all round.

  12. #312
    Uninstalled, I'm done. Crashed 100% of the games I have tried tonight. I'm done. Fuck EA, FUCK DICE, FUCK Battlefield or whatever the hell it is now. Enjoy stomaching a half rotted videogame to try and get enjoyment and justify your purchase. I tried, I can't anymore.

    And after seeing what they brought with the recent patch and the stupid skins, I know where this game is headed and it's not Battlefield I want nothing to do with it even if it improves.

  13. #313
    even some of the other, now beloved, battlefield released had issues on start up that took like 2 years to fix at times BUT...

    they also had a solid game and base in there. 2024 does not have that (outside of portal which is.. the base of old battlefields made worse). It can only build from what it has at its core foundation and that is not looking good right now. The level of drastic change needed (and the implied originality and just plain costly effort) to undo this, makes that it unlikely to happen.

    At most after potential improvements, we'll have an experience that is fun but medicore at best compared to the levels the previous titles reached.

  14. #314
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    even some of the other, now beloved, battlefield released had issues on start up that took like 2 years to fix at times BUT...

    they also had a solid game and base in there. 2024 does not have that (outside of portal which is.. the base of old battlefields made worse). It can only build from what it has at its core foundation and that is not looking good right now. The level of drastic change needed (and the implied originality and just plain costly effort) to undo this, makes that it unlikely to happen.

    At most after potential improvements, we'll have an experience that is fun but medicore at best compared to the levels the previous titles reached.
    DICE LA were the saving grace of previous titles that started out bad. That won't happen this time, as DICE LA changed their name and is moving on from the BF franchise.

  15. #315
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    DICE LA were the saving grace of previous titles that started out bad. That won't happen this time, as DICE LA changed their name and is moving on from the BF franchise.
    that is another big nail in a coffin.

  16. #316
    Rush has been so much fun, the game is a lot more enjoyable when you're not forced to shoot vehicles most of the time.

  17. #317
    Its not the game is bad. See tons of potential for sure. It is that it totally isn't finished. So tired of studios looking a release windows and using that as the determining factor of releasing a game instead of the product actually being complete.

    QA in the gaming industry is completely busted. We are to blame. The scoop the cat box and put it into a video game box and we throw money at it because of fomo or whatever reason.

  18. #318
    I hope the game lives up to the expectations.

  19. #319
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Its not the game is bad. See tons of potential for sure. It is that it totally isn't finished. So tired of studios looking a release windows and using that as the determining factor of releasing a game instead of the product actually being complete.

    QA in the gaming industry is completely busted. We are to blame. The scoop the cat box and put it into a video game box and we throw money at it because of fomo or whatever reason.
    I disagree, the game is bad. It has no core to it like previous titles, no "bones". I can't quite put my finger on it but it feels hollow and unenjoyable. I spent the time that I did because I was trying to remember what I used to play and the enjoyment I got out of Battlefield. Just like World of Warcraft. All of the people who made it what it was are gone. That in and of itself is not the issue, the issue is it's just not fun or enjoyable to me.

    Then you have the injection of a non-binary character for WHAT reason aside from virtue signaling to try and sell more product. There is nothing to do with the character in any story content whatsoever, there is nothing in game that would lead you to believe the character is non-binary. I'm willing to bet most people don't even know. I feel like this is the focus within game studios now and it's why they suck, it's already been proven with Star Wars at Lucas Film with their cork board of idea priority. I don't care about some character's personal beliefs or sexual orientation if they are interesting and fun. Having no story inside a game and then coming out with that just makes me a LITTLE bit skeptical about your priorities when it comes to a game.

    Also yeah, I've looked back at some of the things they talked about and showed in regards to what they were working on and it pisses me off. It feels like a bait and switch to me. No voice comms and scoreboard, no squad joining, directional damage on vehicles being gone and all being considered "legacy" functions by a developer of a shooter is frea...king...asinine. And I'll be honest. It looks like ass. Comparing it to anything else, the amount of detail is a joke. I wish they made the maps half the size, destructible and decent quality visuals and I would have been all over this game. THEN I would have kinda understood different modes without vehicles but I just don't in this title.

    I respect your opinion but I just cannot call something like this a good game. A good game doesn't take massive leaps backwards like 2042 has.

  20. #320
    Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    I disagree, the game is bad. It has no core to it like previous titles, no "bones". I can't quite put my finger on it but it feels hollow and unenjoyable. I spent the time that I did because I was trying to remember what I used to play and the enjoyment I got out of Battlefield. Just like World of Warcraft. All of the people who made it what it was are gone. That in and of itself is not the issue, the issue is it's just not fun or enjoyable to me.

    Then you have the injection of a non-binary character for WHAT reason aside from virtue signaling to try and sell more product. There is nothing to do with the character in any story content whatsoever, there is nothing in game that would lead you to believe the character is non-binary. I'm willing to bet most people don't even know. I feel like this is the focus within game studios now and it's why they suck, it's already been proven with Star Wars at Lucas Film with their cork board of idea priority. I don't care about some character's personal beliefs or sexual orientation if they are interesting and fun. Having no story inside a game and then coming out with that just makes me a LITTLE bit skeptical about your priorities when it comes to a game.

    Also yeah, I've looked back at some of the things they talked about and showed in regards to what they were working on and it pisses me off. It feels like a bait and switch to me. No voice comms and scoreboard, no squad joining, directional damage on vehicles being gone and all being considered "legacy" functions by a developer of a shooter is frea...king...asinine. And I'll be honest. It looks like ass. Comparing it to anything else, the amount of detail is a joke. I wish they made the maps half the size, destructible and decent quality visuals and I would have been all over this game. THEN I would have kinda understood different modes without vehicles but I just don't in this title.

    I respect your opinion but I just cannot call something like this a good game. A good game doesn't take massive leaps backwards like 2042 has.
    I don't really judge games on character sexuality or whatever. To each thier own.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •