Page 1 of 21
... LastLast

Police Officer Sued For Flipping Pregnant Womans Car When She Didn’t Stop Fast Enough

https://www.unilad.co.uk/news/police...p-fast-enough/

A woman has filed a lawsuit against Arkansas State Police after an officer who was attempting to get her to pull over caused her to flip her car while she was pregnant.

The incident took placed last June, when Arkansas resident Nicole Harper was driving near Jacksonville and noticed police officer Rodney Dunn signalling for her to pull over, prompting Harper to take the necessary actions to do so.

In accordance with the Arkansas Driver License Study Guide, Harper, who was pregnant at the time, slowed down and put on her hazard lights, seemingly looking for a safe place to stop.

As the highway shoulder reportedly was narrow where she was driving, she claims she began to move towards a exit ramp, however Dunn apparently wasn’t satisfied with the pace at which she was responding and within two minutes of flashing his lights the officer conducted a Precision Immobilization Technique (PIT), which involved hitting his front bumper into the left rear edge of Harper’s car.

The move caused Harper to swerve across the road’s three lanes before her car flipped upside down and came to a stop. In dashcam footage from the scene, Dunn can be heard reporting that Harper ‘hit the inside wall’ and ‘rolled over’, while smoke is seen rising from the car.

As the officer encouraged her to get out of the car, Harper cried out that she was pregnant and responded to say that she ‘had [her] flashers on’ when Dunn told her that she had ‘got to pull over’.

According to local media, per the Mises Institute, Harper filed a lawsuit last month in which she accused Dunn and other members of the Arkansas State Police for ‘negligently’ using a PIT manoeuvre and putting her own life and the life of her unborn child at risk as a result.

The lawsuit further alleges that the Arkansas Police Department failed to train Dunn on safe PIT manoeuvre technique.

Footage taken from the incident saw Dunn telling Harper ‘this is where you ended up’ because she did not stop quickly enough. Police reportedly claim Harper was attempting to ‘flee’ the officer and that she was a danger to other drivers.

Not pulling over immediately and for 2 minutes after the officer was signalling her to pull over is one thing.

The officer not recognizing a slowing vehicle with hazard lights on clearly indicating she is attempting to 1.) slow down and 2.) pull over safely -- as a car who would be attempting to flee from an officer would typically not put their hazard lights on OR slow down -- and using some critical thinking to in the heat of the moment to get to this thought, is another thing.

I suppose the argument will come down to "should have done so immediately" versus "not safe to do so immediately" in the long run.

Absolutely terrifying situation for anybody and I can imagine it feeling much worse for a pregnant woman.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2021-06-09 at 08:47 PM.

I did not watch the video, but did the woman stop for the officier or not?

When a police ask you to stop, it should be immediate, if she takes 2min to do that I also would think she wasn’t going to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post

When a police ask you to stop, it should be immediate
    Wtf? No.

If you're on a road with traffic, you can't just immediately stop safely.

No, because he caused her to crash before she could.

Indicate to the side, slow into the side.

Does NOT take 2 minutes, 20 seconds is way more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Wtf? No.

If you're on a road with traffic, you can't just immediately stop safely.
    Hell, I was taught that if there's something like a parking lot coming up shortly, you should put your hazards on and make your way to the parking lot, precisely because a stop there is much safer for the officer than on the side of the road.

When a police ask you to stop, it should be immediate, if she takes 2min to do that I also would think she wasn’t going to stop.
    In accordance with the Arkansas Driver License Study Guide, Harper, who was pregnant at the time, slowed down and put on her hazard lights, seemingly looking for a safe place to stop.
    would help if you read the article...

Strange how different NJ is from some other states. Most times a cop here would assume safety first. And my own experience...only once did a cop in question has asked why I didn't immediately stop; "Traffic. Not all that safe for someone just doing the job."

She did indicate. Fact is, a shoulder whose edge is blocked off with a barrier is incredibly unsafe (more likely for a car to hit you) so she was trying to find a better place but the cop decided to be an idiot.

Maybe if it's a countryside road with no other cars on it. Not on a highway.

Fire the cop, prosecute his ass for almost killing a pregnant woman because she *checks notes* didn't pull over fast enough for his liking.

This kind of fascist bullshit needs to stop. Cops don't have a blank check to assault you and destroy your property just because you don't immediately comply with what they want you to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the correct course of action for a driver who is failing to pull over, but indicating that they are trying to while also not attempting to flee or putting any other drivers on the road at risk, to pit the car and damage/destroy it, potentially harming the occupant? All over a traffic violation?

You don’t stop immediately. You’re supposed to stop as soon as possible, meaning when there’s a proper place to do so.
    Twitter & DeviantArt
    Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman

"Attempted murder for not immediately pulling over on a road where people are doing 70mph+ is just fine if you've got a badge!"
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2021-06-09 at 09:28 PM.

The video is honestly sickening to watch. He just casually walks up to the flipped car, doesn’t even ask if she’s okay, then immediately starts blaming her for why it happened.
    Twitter & DeviantArt
    Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The video is honestly sickening to watch. He just casually walks up to the flipped car, doesn’t even ask if she’s okay, then immediately starts blaming her for why it happened.
    "It's your fault that I engaged in a dangerous vehicular maneuver that put you and your fetus at risk over a minor traffic violation!"

Stupid policeman... plenty of cops have been struck by traffic because their stops were in an unsafe spot.

I mean, they say why in the article:

Though police reportedly plan to fight the lawsuit, the outcome is unlikely to have a personal impact on Dunn as Arkansas law means he is immune from any personal responsibility for his actions.
    These fuckers are literally immune from consequences most of the time. Is it any surprise that they act like it?

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I mean, they say why in the article:

These fuckers are literally immune from consequences most of the time. Is it any surprise that they act like it?
    Yeah, I believe Arkansas is one of the states where you can’t sue the state or government employees. I have a friend that used to lived there and she tried to sue a school/teacher for nearly killing her daughter in class, and she wasn’t able to.
    Twitter & DeviantArt

It doesn't matter. The officer can take down the license plate and cops can be waiting for her when she gets home. Or he can follow her until she stops.

You don’t stop immediately. You’re supposed to stop as soon as possible, meaning when there’s a proper place to do so.
    That's what you are told, which does not translate into practice. Especially when you have power tripping/stressed out officers everywhere and the law on their side when they escalate.

In a perfect world, pull over when it's safe. The officer should see that the car is looking for someone to stop and be patient without consequence to the driver In the real world, pull over immediately and let the officer figure it out because there are hot heads behind some of those badges. At least that way if they pop off you can say you did everything they told you to do.

Ill assume (and do) they flashed me when and where they did because that's where they want me to pull over. If they want me to move then they can tell me.

The cop is in the wrong. But people need to stop playing with the police when it's not worth it. The cop is wrong, the woman had more to lose and the deck stacked against her. Choose your battles wisely.

Resident Cosplay Progressive