Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Yeah I think that's the biggest problem with this kind of scenario. Some cops prefer that you pull over immediately in a bad location, while patient cops prefer that you wait and find a turn-off. For as long as that is the case then we, as drivers, have no way of knowing which one they prefer.

Maybe in the future all cars will have a two-way communication system built in that lets you communicate with other drivers/cops that are nearby. Then if there's a problem you can talk to the other drivers without pulling over or stopping.
    The bottom line is that it shouldn't matter what they prefer, if you act in accordance with the law. Even at that the level of violence they use to enforce the law has to be proportionate to the crime - even if the law were written differently so that what she did was wrong, it would not justify his decision to risk her life, which to me was the biggest problem in the scenario.

Also the fact that this guy can't be sued, probably won't be fired, and even if he was fired he would probably still be able to work as a cop in another area. That kind of error in judgment is intolerable - if he hasn't previously gotten innocent people killed, he almost certainly will if he keeps doing that job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Again, it's clear that you have never driven on a fucking highway (or motorway)
    What lovely assumption to make.

I have traveled between Kent (Southeast UK) and London many times, which does involve me getting through the M25 (hint hint, it is a motorway).

Try again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    An Audi?

So an overly expensive piece of german plastic? Having grown up with nothing but MBs and a few BMWs... i've come to the conclusion that every high end german car is an expensive piece of shit waiting for its poor plastic work to fail...
    I love Audi cars.

I used to have an A3, and got hit on my back one time, can’t remember what that other car was, maybe a Renold?

My car looked unscratched, the other car’s front pretty much dented all in.

Since then I decided that I only want to drive Audi.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Weird flex, but oookay.
    Yeah I know, it would have been nicer if it was a sport back, but unfortunately practicality came first when you have a baby

It was just a note because whoever I was responding to was wondering if I have ever driven or owned a car, which I do have, and not exactly a cheap one either.

Sooo would there be less outrage if she was not pregnant? Fucking sensationalist headlines.

I do want to know the "logic" of the cop, though. Since when is not stopping fast enough grounds for ramming? Especially if you can see person slowing down and using blinkers, so hard to follow a bit more before making stupid decisions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Shockingly bad handling of the situation by the officer. The driver had clearly acknowledged the police car by indicating and it seems obvious that they were looking for a safe spot to pull over.

It seems to me that many police officers in the US have little to no training or that they completely forget about any they may have received as soon as they walk out of the station.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Shockingly bad handling of the situation by the officer. The driver had clearly acknowledged the police car by indicating and it seems obvious that they were looking for a safe spot to pull over.

It seems to me that many police officers in the US have little to no training or that they completely forget about any they may have received as soon as they walk out of the station.
    It depends on the state, but last time there was a similar thread, someone posted it was between 3 and 30 weeks of training to be a cop

Aside of the driver clearly attempting to comply, is it normal in the USA, to flip random cars, because they do not respond properly to pull over? I mean it causes a severe risk of bodily harm to the driver of the car, severely endangeres other motorists, causing a lot of damage to other people's property...

I thought you werent supposed to stop by highway barriers? Right? Arent you supposed to go to the end of the barriers and pull over, or exit? Which ever comes first?

I could have sworn that was a thing for police safety. But its been like 30 years since I did drivers ed. so I could be wrong.

Her being pregnant is irrelevant.

As for the incident, it's hard to side with the officer on this one. The car was clearly in a spot that a reasonable person would deem to be dangerous. The shoulder looks to barely be wide enough for a stopped car, without sticking out into the road. She did not appear to be trying to flee, and wasn't a danger to other cars.

Now, the officer may escape criminal charges, but you can bet your ass that the state of Arkansas will be paying a lot of money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    I did not watch the video, but did the woman stop for the officier or not?

When a police ask you to stop, it should be immediate, if she takes 2min to do that I also would think she wasn’t going to stop.
    Maybe you should watch the video.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn’t matter, because that is not what you are taught.

When the police flashes you to pull over, you pull over.

He can follow her, take down her number plate, but she could also have just stopped.
    Did you watch the video yet?

- - - Updated - - -

And obviously not fast enough
    How would you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

I did not watch the video, but did the woman stop for the officier or not?

When a police ask you to stop, it should be immediate, if she takes 2min to do that I also would think she wasn’t going to stop.
    Victim blaming. Maybe inform yourself of the situation before posting BS like this. She had her hazards on and was slowing down looking for a safe place to pull over.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Guess this is the kind of police officers u get when u give em shitty training, but im sure nothing of US police training will change and the officer will be free as always.
    I 100% guarantee you that the officer's training included tell him not to perform a PIT in a situation like this. This is a case of him choosing to ignore his training, not the training being the problem.

If police can "chase" a white bronco down the freeway for 45 minutes without performing a PIT, they can absolutely follow a slow SUV with hazard lights on for a few minutes until it finds the offramp.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Two minutes is a pretty long time but yeesh, these types of suits are about the only way to get police to get their shit together and quit doing idiotic stuff like risky unnecessary PIT maneuvers that endanger people way more than waiting two minutes.

Yeah I know, it would have been nicer if it was a sport back, but unfortunately practicality came first when you have a baby

It was just a note because whoever I was responding to was wondering if I have ever driven or owned a car, which I do have, and not exactly a cheap one either.
    Nobody cares.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Nobody cares.
    Unfortunately I only say because they ask.

Or they say “oh I bet he never had a car before”

You ask something that you didn’t want answer for, expect an answer that you didn’t
    want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Two minutes is a pretty long time but yeesh, these types of suits are about the only way to get police to get their shit together and quit doing idiotic stuff like risky unnecessary PIT maneuvers that endanger people way more than waiting two minutes.
    it's not the cops who pay themselves. its the tax dollars of the people of that county that go to settle these things. it's a racket.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    it's not the cops who pay themselves. its the tax dollars of the people of that county that go to settle these things. it's a racket.
    Yep. If this came out of officer pay/retirement, or a collective pool of retirement funds/pay for the department, you'd see a lot less of shit shit. Give them a personal stake in it since right now the continued reality is that they're largely immune from most prosecution, they know their department will work to cover up any wrongdoing, and that if they do end up with a settlement they won't personally be on the hook for it. And if that settlement includes them losing their job, they can just get hired at another department that will be more than happy to have them.

Must be great to have a job where you have little to no accountability for your actions.

You ask something that you didn’t want answer for, expect an answer that you didn’t
    want to hear.
    Nobody asked, they kindly hoped that your terrible opinion was based on ignorance, but you showed them.
    /s

Good. Hold the officer accountable for this horrid act. The more accountability officers are made to have, the better the system will be. Right now, they think to often they are above the law. The sad truth is, they mostly are since they aren't held accountable. Its time that changes and this guy should be fired. He almost killed two people due to his inability to think.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Good. Hold the officer accountable for this horrid act. The more accountability officers are made to have, the better the system will be. Right now, they think to often they are above the law. The sad truth is, they mostly are since they aren't held accountable. Its time that changes and this guy should be fired. He almost killed two people due to his inability to think.
    Sadly, due to Arkansas law, he very likely won’t be held accountable.
    Twitter & DeviantArt
    Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman

want to hear.
    They were giving you the benefit of the doubt that your ignorance was excusable by virtue of the fact you have never driven before.

All your humblebrag accomplished was to show that your ignorance is just plain ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Her being pregnant is irrelevant.
    Not really considering quite a bit could have happened that would have left her with a few recoverable dings/bruises but caused her to miscarry. I don't know if you know this but babies are kind of fragile compared to fully grown adults. More so when they're in the womb. And I find it funny I have to explain this but a car rolling multiple times definitely is the kind of thing that can cause a person to miscarry or damage a fetus.

It's no more or less relevant than the exact number of passengers in the car is relevant. The cop flipping a car even if there were somehow zero people in it is bad. One is worse and so would a higher number because the number of people that are being harmed..... Yeah sure it's definitely being paraded about for headlines/clicks but it's hardly the irrelevant fact you and the other poster seem to think it is.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2021-06-10 at 08:16 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Not really considering quite a bit could have happened that would have left her with a few recoverable dings/bruises but caused her to miscarry. I don't know if you know this but babies are kind of fragile compared to fully grown adults. More so when they're in the womb. And I find it funny I have to explain this but a car rolling multiple times definitely is the kind of thing that can cause a person to miscarry or damage a fetus.

It's no more or less relevant than the exact number of passengers in the car is relevant. The cop flipping a car even if there were somehow zero people in it is bad. One is worse and so would a higher number because the number of people that are being harmed..... Yeah sure it's definitely being paraded about for headlines/clicks but it's hardly the irrelevant fact you and the other poster seem to think it is.
    Seriously, it may not have been a relevant factor in the officers decision to execute a dangerous pit maneuver on a vehicle that was clearly not attempting to flee nor was putting any other drivers at risk, simply inconveniencing the officer who didn't think they were pulling over fast enough for his liking, but it absolutely is a factor in just how gross the incompetence and how dangerously reckless his behavior was.

It makes his decision worse after the fact due to who the victim in this was. It's relevant and matters, and is indicative of the kind of danger police put people in because they're on a power trip.