Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    If you actually cared that much, you could look it up yourself.
    And yet multiple people throughout this thread have made claims about what the law is, while literally calling others ignorant for not knowing the law. Yet no one has actually linked the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    And yet multiple people throughout this thread have made claims about what the law is, while literally calling others ignorant for not knowing the law. Yet no one has actually linked the law.
    And yet, I did actually link the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    The law I linked in the "double edit" says that guide is the law. The study guide can't tell you to do things that are illegal, because the guide itself is the law.
    The actual law is ACA §27-51-901, which states:
    Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle, when the driver is giving audible signal by siren, exhaust whistle, or bell, the driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right-of-way and shall immediately drive to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to, the right-hand edge or curb of the highway clear of any intersection and shall stop and remain in such position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, except when otherwise directed by a police officer.
    Emphasis in bold is mine. This applies to all emergency vehicles. Police, fire, or ambulance. So it seems like the driver's instruction runs counter to the law as written.

Emphasis in bold is mine. This applies to all emergency vehicles. Police, fire, or ambulance. So it seems like the driver's instruction runs counter to the law as written.
    I don't think you understand what you copy/pasted.

Here's for traffic stops.

You'll note that your code states "except when otherwise directed by a police officer." Guess where the guidance comes from.

Uh...that's about what to do when an emergency vehicle is trying to get through traffic to respond to an emergency...not about what to do when you are being pulled over by a police officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    I don't think you understand what you copy/pasted.
    You still haven't cited a single law stating otherwise. That's the literal interpretation that the police are using for traffic stops. Your double edit doesn't not say the training manual is law. It provides information. It is not the law itself. It is why they reference other laws within it. It's a guideline.

You still haven't cited a single law stating otherwise. That's the literal interpretation that the police are using for traffic stops. Your double edit doesn't not say the training manual is law. It provides information. It is not the law itself. It is why they reference other laws within it. It's a guideline.
    Except, I did cite a law stating otherwise.

What you cited has nothing to do with traffic stops...read it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Uh...that's about what to do when an emergency vehicle is trying to get through traffic to respond to an emergency...not about what to do when you are being pulled over by a police officer.
    So if you see a police officer behind you, how do you know if they are pulling you over, or trying pass you. You don't. So you pull over, and stop. They then either pass you, or the approach you.

Are you in the correct thread?
    /s

Except, I did cite a law stating otherwise.
    You cited § 27-18-111, which does not state that the information in the training manual trumps any other law written.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Are you in the correct thread?
    Care to cite an actual law?

You cited § 27-18-111, which does not state that the information in the training manual trumps any other law written.
    The law I linked stated that the information manual is from the Arkansas State Police, and is therefor "direction from a police officer." Do you remember what YOU linked? Here, I'll make it easy:

except when otherwise directed by a police officer.

Care to cite an actual law?
    If it makes you happy, its slightly more relevant than what you cited.

http://www.wheatonslaw.com/
    /s

The driver's instruction manual issued by the Department of Arkansas State Police and the examination for a driver's license shall include information related to traffic stop safety guidelines for drivers and passengers developed by the department.
    I really wonder why you think that the safety guidelines developed by Police Department would give instructions contrary to the law

The law I linked stated that the information manual is from the Arkansas State Police, and is therefor "direction from a police officer." Do you remember what YOU linked? Here, I'll make it easy:
    Yet the literal statement from the Arkansas State Police is the law I stated.

You specifically referenced point 2 of the guide, which gives direction if you are "unsure" if it is a real police officer, which is not something she claimed. So I'm not sure why you are referencing it. The only applicable point is 3, which says nearest/safest, not just safest. This is in line with the law I linked. Of the nearby places, pick the safest. Not drive for another two minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    If it makes you happy, its slightly more relevant than what you cited.

http://www.wheatonslaw.com/
    So you have nothing to actually add to the conversation. Have a good night.

- - - Updated - - -

I really wonder why you think that the safety guidelines developed by Police Department would give instructions contrary to the law
    Because they don't say what you think they do. Driving over two miles away isn't nearby.

Because they don't say what you think they do. Driving over two miles away isn't nearby.
    It is if that's the first safe place to pull over.

Pull over to the right side of the road – activate your turn signal or emergency
    flashers to indicate to the officer that you are seeking a safe place to stop.

Pull to the nearest/safest spot out of the traffic lane (Do not stop on bridges or
    overpasses).

It is if that's the first safe place to pull over.
    The side of the highway with a shoulder that covers more that 3/4 of the vehicle is a safe place to stop for an emergency vehicle. It happens daily. An exit ramp isn't necessarily inherently safer. It could actually be worse.

The side of the highway with a shoulder that covers more that 3/4 of the vehicle is a safe place to stop for an emergency vehicle. It happens daily.
    And if the shoulder does not cover 3/4 of the vehicle? Is that safe? Because that's the situation here.

Yet the literal statement from the Arkansas State Police is the law I stated.

You specifically referenced point 2 of the guide, which gives direction if you are "unsure" if it is a real police officer, which is not something she claimed. So I'm not sure why you are referencing it. The only applicable point is 3, which says nearest/safest, not just safest. This is in line with the law I linked. Of the nearby places, pick the safest. Not drive for another two minutes.
    I also quoted point one:
    1. Pull over to the right side of the road – activate your turn signal or emergency
    flashers to indicate to the officer that you are seeking a safe place to stop.
    The bit about :

Edit: Part 2 is in place specifically for what I was talking about.
    Was towards egomaniac. It was edited in b/c the whole quote was directed at you, and I didn't, at first, think to specifically mention either of the phrases until I thought to point it out towards my point being made with egomaniac.

So if you see a police officer behind you, how do you know if they are pulling you over, or trying pass you. You don't. So you pull over, and stop. They then either pass you, or the approach you.
    I didn't see this until now, but the answer is that they generally pull up behind you and then turn their lights on, unless it's a speed trap. Either way, it's pretty easy to tell when it's a traffic stop.