View Poll Results: When is 9.1 coming out

Voters
375. You may not vote on this poll
  • June [Later this month]

    39 10.40%
  • July

    163 43.47%
  • August

    76 20.27%
  • September

    19 5.07%
  • October

    10 2.67%
  • Next Year

    21 5.60%
  • Never/Cancelled

    47 12.53%
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ...
4
12
13
14
15
16
... LastLast
  1. #261
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Where does the belief that they have the release the next expansions by X-X-X come from?
    Yes 9.1 is massively delayed at this point. But they can simply push the next expansion ahead along with it and put out 9.2 and 9.3 as intended.

    And please, have a better answer then "Activision will make them".
    There have been many posts on why delaying the next expansion for half a year or more is a massive NO GO:

    - WoW‘s main source of income are the box sales for each expansion. Look at their quarterly reports, the quarter right before an expansion launch and the expansion launch quarter usually add $200 million each on top of their normal revenue. Delaying an expansion by 6 or more months means delaying this massive cash income. No one will do that just to have an additional content patch that’s basically for free (a new expansion requires a subscription as well so that doesn’t count as income in this case).

    - Delaying the expansion by 6 months or more means the next retail expansion will release around the same time as WotLK Classic (Q2/23). If that’s not a red flag, I don’t know what is. The cycle for their WoW releases is obvious, retail expansions in even and Classic expansions in uneven years.

    9.3 just doesn’t fit in any schedule whereas ending Shadowlands with 9.2 or 9.2.5 makes perfect sense when it comes to scheduling as we would basically end up in the BfA release timeline at this point. 9.1 is akin to 8.2 and 9.2 is akin to 8.3 in this case where 10.0 eventually launches in Q4/22.

    If we indeed get 9.3 and if they stick to their ~6 month duration for a content patch, the next retail expansion cannot come sooner than Q2/23. 2 more years of Shadowlands from this point on, where most people already left or are burnt out, sounds awful, doesn’t it?
    Last edited by Nyel; 2021-06-16 at 06:41 PM.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

  2. #262
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    9.3 just doesn’t fit in any schedule whereas ending Shadowlands with 9.2 or 9.2.5 makes perfect sense when it comes to scheduling as we would basically end up in the BfA release timeline at this point. 9.1 is akin to 8.2 and 9.2 is akin to 8.3 in this case where finally 10.0 launches in Q4/22.
    Nothing about this is normal. The next classic expansion can easily release in the summer with a wow expansion in the spring. Or the next classic can be delayed a little as well. TBC only had 7 months for the last raider tier. There is room to extend it longer and hit a holiday release time and would allow them to do a 15 year anniversary money grab for November. (2008+ 15=2023). Nothing about this is normal so there is no reason to use past experience as any kind of proof.

    Blizzard has already said that they won't punish retail for classic, or classic for retail. So there is no red flag with a potential expansion release for both being with in a few months of each other.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2021-06-16 at 06:53 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  3. #263
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Im actually legitimatley starting to believe 9.1 is the final patch of Shadowlands, because blizzard has run out of time for a 9.3 and if they dont release 9.1 by July, then August it will already be too late for a 9.2 because the cycle will be, just impossible without massive decline from wow subs.

    Black Temple will likley be used to try to plug the gap but lets be honest, only a few niche people care about TBC, and its not gonna last long.

    Were gonna see likley a huger drop-off around 9.1's first month because many people wont even bother to do the content.

    Yes, it is that bad, by the time 9.1 drops, the content itself wont be enough to excite people, and worse still, the raid wont launch when 9.1 does so people wont be getting a new raid until at least ... a month, after 9.1 drops, so september, optimistically, october, realistically, because blizz knows releasing it in october will possibly give them time to keep people from leaving for Endwalker when it drops in november.

    Unless they actually have the idocity to try competing with the most popular competitors expansion with a raid, cause I promise you that wont work out well for blizzard.

    I did say, Its actually possible they may even try to release 9.1 in september and the raid in november to try to compete with Endwalker, I actually wouldnt BE surprised if that ends up being true.

    But ill be honest, if it does, fire Ion, oh my god, fire him, hes done beyond all words at that point and if they dont get their own Yoshi P to fix the mess Wow is in, they're in serious trouble.
    This will not age well. What a wall of nonsense. And some of you wonder why many of us won't treat you seriously.

    Why not 9.1 in December '25? Or maybe they'll scrap 9.1 and SL will end in 9.0.5? It's not very far from your hyperbole.

  4. #264
    The Lightbringer Wangming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Not Azeroth
    Posts
    3,264
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Everything of what you said is true, but i'd like to add a nugget to your final note... even IF they found their version of "Yoshi P" the chosen one who had the ideas to turn WoW into everything it could be and more.... would ATVI be willing to invest in WoW 2.0 essentially, like SE was with FF14? I have my doubts
    Let's be frank. The first miracle of FFXIV was the devs agreeing to all this. Yoshie-P pretty much said:

    "You know how it takes five years to make an MMO? I'm going to do it in two, while still patching the 1.0 version. Are you in?"

    Of course he added that 1.0 is a net loss and if they simply pull the plog it will stay a net loss, but it was a very hard sell. Even after he got the green light the team was sure he was on drugs. Only Soken supported him at first.

    WoW needs to be in a VERY bad place for Activision to finance a relaunch. Frankly the best would be to buy themselves out, go independent, and then make a relaunch. But do they have the money for that? I'm not sure.

  5. #265
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Nothing about this is normal. The next classic expansion can easily release in the summer with a wow expansion in the spring. Or the next classic can be delayed a little as well. TBC only had 7 months for the last raider tier. There is room to extend it longer and hit a holiday release time and would allow them to do a 15 year anniversary money grab for November. (2008+ 15=2023). Nothing about this is normal so there is no reason to use past experience as any kind of proof.

    Blizzard has already said that they won't punish retail for classic, or classic for retail. So there is no red flag with a potential expansion release for both being with in a few months of each other.
    All of this can happen, but why would it be necessary? There’s no benefit in getting 9.3 and delaying 10.0. Not for the players and particularly not for Blizzard themselves. 9.3 is nothing but a nice addition, 10.0 is the big release players (due to the vast amounts of content) and executives (due to the hundreds of millions of dollars they’re making by it) want. Extending the lifetime of Shadowlands just to fit 9.3 into the schedule makes no sense. They can extend the lifetime of Shadowlands if they need more time to finish the next expansion, but even in that scenario 9.3 has no place. By making the tiers of 9.1 and 9.2 last longer, they can already win some additional months. There’s simply no need for a 9.3 patch.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

  6. #266
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    There have been many posts on why delaying the next expansion for half a year or more is a massive NO GO:

    - WoW‘s main source of income are the box sales for each expansion. Look at their quarterly reports, the quarter right before an expansion launch and the expansion launch quarter usually add $200 million each on top of their normal revenue. Delaying an expansion by 6 or more months means delaying this massive cash income. No one will do that just to have an additional content patch that’s basically for free (a new expansion requires a subscription as well so that doesn’t count as income in this case).

    - Delaying the expansion by 6 months or more means the next retail expansion will release around the same time as WotLK Classic (Q2/23). If that’s not a red flag, I don’t know what is. The cycle for their WoW releases is obvious, retail expansions in even and Classic expansions in uneven years.

    9.3 just doesn’t fit in any schedule whereas ending Shadowlands with 9.2 or 9.2.5 makes perfect sense when it comes to scheduling as we would basically end up in the BfA release timeline at this point. 9.1 is akin to 8.2 and 9.2 is akin to 8.3 in this case where 10.0 eventually launches in Q4/22.

    If we indeed get 9.3 and if they stick to their ~6 month duration for a content patch, the next retail expansion cannot come sooner than Q2/23. 2 more years of Shadowlands from this point on, where most people already left or are burnt out, sounds awful, doesn’t it?
    So that would be a "No proof at all then".
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  7. #267
    They're waiting to release 9.1 when the initial excitement rush from TBC Classic dies down.

  8. #268
    Blizzard works on several patches in advance and it's pretty obvious they were behind schedule when Shadowlands released, as per the delay. They would normaly have Shadowlands ready and already started working on 9.1 internally long before even the expansion launched. That's the main problem.

    If they rush out 9.1 when they have not internally started getting good progress on 9.2 then we will get a similiar "disaster" waiting period between 9.1 and 9.2.

    I think they will rather allow an extended period between 9.0 and 9.1 and try to get some goodwill on 9.1 to 9.2+ patch cycle.

    Especially concidering the people are already mad, what else is the playerbase gonna be? Even more mad?

    TBC launching also makes a lot of WoW players have a period where they can enjoy that instead. Don't bother responding to this that "I don't want to play a 15 year old game" or "I played that 15 years ago I want new stuff", I know I know you are very woke.

  9. #269
    I feels like SD are dead and im waiting for new exp lol. That's do sad. How long we have to wait.

  10. #270
    Over 9000! Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    9,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    So that would be a "No proof at all then".
    Of course there are no proofs, nobody has them at this point except maybe a couple of Blizz execs. There are only more or less educated guesses, and at all rates, @Nyel at no point said that his points are exactly what is going to happen, as if his post was some kind of revealed truth. Frankly, I'm not sure what your point is.
    If the Janitor managed to pwn Azeroth:

    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    "Die, wold soul of *incomprehensible mumbling* with your death my plan to *incomoprehensible mumbling* finally fullfilled and *incomprehensible mumbling*!"

  11. #271
    The music is out. We're definitely getting a release candidate soon.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Im actually legitimatley starting to believe 9.1 is the final patch of Shadowlands, because blizzard has run out of time for a 9.3 and if they dont release 9.1 by July, then August it will already be too late for a 9.2 because the cycle will be, just impossible without massive decline from wow subs.

    Black Temple will likley be used to try to plug the gap but lets be honest, only a few niche people care about TBC, and its not gonna last long.

    Were gonna see likley a huger drop-off around 9.1's first month because many people wont even bother to do the content.

    Yes, it is that bad, by the time 9.1 drops, the content itself wont be enough to excite people, and worse still, the raid wont launch when 9.1 does so people wont be getting a new raid until at least ... a month, after 9.1 drops, so september, optimistically, october, realistically, because blizz knows releasing it in october will possibly give them time to keep people from leaving for Endwalker when it drops in november.

    Unless they actually have the idocity to try competing with the most popular competitors expansion with a raid, cause I promise you that wont work out well for blizzard.

    I did say, Its actually possible they may even try to release 9.1 in september and the raid in november to try to compete with Endwalker, I actually wouldnt BE surprised if that ends up being true.

    But ill be honest, if it does, fire Ion, oh my god, fire him, hes done beyond all words at that point and if they dont get their own Yoshi P to fix the mess Wow is in, they're in serious trouble.
    We'll get 9.2 but I'm not sure of 9.3. But it seems the new expansion will be based around The Nathrezim and the cosmic powers
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

  12. #272
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    So that would be a "No proof at all then".
    Outside of Blizzard nobody has a proof of what’s going to happen or not. These points are just some logical arguments why ending Shadowlands with 9.2 and not having a 9.3 patch makes the most sense from a variety of different standpoints. And in no means these arguments are just mine, they’ve been brought up by other players and they’ve been brought up by a lot of very popular WoW streamers as well (Bellular, Taliesin and others).

    I’ve yet to see one logical and based argument on why a 9.3 patch is crucial, mandatory and may not be skipped in favor of getting 10.0 several months sooner.
    Last edited by Nyel; 2021-06-17 at 05:35 AM.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

  13. #273
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Outside of Blizzard nobody has a proof of what’s going to happen or not. These points are just some logical arguments why ending Shadowlands with 9.2 and not having a 9.3 patch makes the most sense from a variety of different standpoints. And in no means these arguments are just mine, they’ve been brought up by other players and they’ve been brought up by a lot of very popular WoW streamers as well (Bellular, Taliesin and others).

    I’ve yet to see one logical and based argument on why a 9.3 patch is crucial, mandatory and may not be skipped in favor of getting 10.0 several months sooner.
    As I said several times, there is major flow in your logic - you think 10.0 MUST come in 2022. Somehow for Acti-Blizz:

    - 28 months expansion (BfA) is possible even if Blizzard released only W3 Reforged at that time

    - 25+ month expansion (Sl) is not possible with Diablo II, Diablo Immortal, Overwatch II and maybe Diablo IV coming at that time.

  14. #274
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Outside of Blizzard nobody has a proof of what’s going to happen or not. These points are just some logical arguments why ending Shadowlands with 9.2 and not having a 9.3 patch makes the most sense from a variety of different standpoints. And in no means these arguments are just mine, they’ve been brought up by other players and they’ve been brought up by a lot of very popular WoW streamers as well (Bellular, Taliesin and others).

    I’ve yet to see one logical and based argument on why a 9.3 patch is crucial, mandatory and may not be skipped in favor of getting 10.0 several months sooner.
    Why would Blizzard want to release 9.3? Because the last time they skipped x.3 to rush out an expansion was WoD and the community loudly complained about not getting a 3e raid tier.

    Because 10.0 is probably just as much suffering from Covid as 9.1 is and will need the time to catch back up.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  15. #275
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    As I said several times, there is major flow in your logic - you think 10.0 MUST come in 2022. Somehow for Acti-Blizz:

    - 28 months expansion (BfA) is possible even if Blizzard released only W3 Reforged at that time

    - 25+ month expansion (Sl) is not possible with Diablo II, Diablo Immortal, Overwatch II and maybe Diablo IV coming at that time.
    Just as there's no confirmed need for 10.0 to be out in 2022, there's also no confirmed need for 9.3. They can also easily wrap up the story in 9.2 should they choose to. It feels like it's going to be rushed given now we're 7 months in, but we're still at 9.0.5 and yet to see the end of 9.1. And if we see 9.1 in July and if it takes another 8 months, there's still more than enough they can do in 9.2 to wrap things up.
    Last edited by catalystical; 2021-06-17 at 10:02 AM.

  16. #276
    Quote Originally Posted by catalystical View Post
    Just as there's no confirmed need for 10.0 to be out in 2022, there's also no confirmed need for 9.3. They can also easily wrap up the story in 9.2 should they choose to.
    Exactly. We could have Anduin for 9.2, Jailer for 9.3. Or just Jailer for 9.2. We won't be able to move this discussion even by inch until 9.2 PTR (both how fast it will come and final boss) or Ion straight up will tell us.

    Imo crucial thing is 10.0 early development - if it is affected by work from home, 10.0 is delayed as well. But if it goes with plan, no point prolonging Shadowlands with 9.3. But this is info we won't have. For sure decision already happened, I can't imagine 9.2 is not in production yet.

  17. #277
    Quote Originally Posted by Mymight View Post
    You're very optimistic.
    Some of you seems to think all this content just burst out from non-existence when PTR starts up.

  18. #278
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Why would Blizzard want to release 9.3? Because the last time they skipped x.3 to rush out an expansion was WoD and the community loudly complained about not getting a 3e raid tier.

    Because 10.0 is probably just as much suffering from Covid as 9.1 is and will need the time to catch back up.
    And to tackle that problem Ion specifically mentioned in his interview some weeks ago that this is not going to be another WoD as we will have a 9.2 patch (that were his words; he didn't say we will have a 9.3 patch, he said we will have a 9.2 patch and that's already making Shadowlands not another WoD). Warlords only had one content patch. Shadowlands will not only have one content patch, as 9.2 is existing and in the making.

    WoD had only two raid tiers (three raids overall) with Highmaul -> Blackrock Foundry -> Hellfire Citadel, but only one content patch: 6.2.

    Shadowlands will have two raid tiers (three raids overall) with Castle Nathria -> Sanctum of Domination -> raid in 9.2, but two content patches: 9.1 and 9.2.

    The additional content patch is the crucial difference between WoD's and Shadowlands' patch cadence.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    As I said several times, there is major flow in your logic - you think 10.0 MUST come in 2022. Somehow for Acti-Blizz:

    - 28 months expansion (BfA) is possible even if Blizzard released only W3 Reforged at that time

    - 25+ month expansion (Sl) is not possible with Diablo II, Diablo Immortal, Overwatch II and maybe Diablo IV coming at that time.
    That's not really a flaw in my logic as these products are not related to WoW. They're Blizzard products too boost their numbers, but they're neither WoW retail nor WoW Classic related. WoW at this point exists on its own release schedule outside of other Blizzard products. Overall you're right, those things can boost their revenue if 10.0 is delayed by one or two quarters.

    Diablo II and Diablo Immortal both are launching this year, one is a Q3/21 and the other a Q4/21 release. To think Diablo IV and Overwatch are going to launch in 2022 is very, very optimistic. It's way easier to just give us another retail expansion. Why? Because it's business as usual on their 2-year-schedule. And again, with no 9.3 we're just having a BfA rollout from this point on. Granted, they have to play catch up, but it's still easier than to give us an additional 9.3 tier which easily adds another 9-10 months to the lifetime of Shadowlands and causes a massive delay overall.

    In the very best case, when every tier after 9.1 lasts 6 months and the final tier lasts 9-10 months, the lifetime of Shadowlands will be around 29 months. That's only one month longer than BfA's lifetime. But for that to happen, they not only have to catch up with 9.2, they have to catch up with 9.3 and the expansion launch as well. How likely is it that 9.0 - 9.1 will have a longer duration than 9.1 - 9.2 or 9.2 to 9.3? If we're getting 9.3, we're looking at an expansion that's most likely going to last way longer than 30 months. Impossible? No. Unlikely? Yes. And remember, BfA only lasted so long because they've been struck with COVID in mid of their Shadowlands development. Without COVID I'm sure we would have gotten Shadowlands 2-3 months earlier.

    By the way, I'm still waiting for that one argument (from anyone) why 9.3 must be a thing to justify delaying 10.0 into 2023 (or justify delaying 10.0 in general).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mymight View Post
    You're very optimistic.
    I'm pretty sure they're already working on 9.2, but they haven't even touched 9.3 yet (that implies that 9.3 ever existed in their plans for Shadowlands which we basically don't know. Maybe they never had a 9.3 patch planned and 9.2 was always meant to be the last content patch).
    Last edited by Nyel; 2021-06-17 at 11:26 AM.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

  19. #279
    Quote Originally Posted by Mymight View Post
    Both Dracullus and Nyel, read my previous post. I agree that they used to work a patch or more in advance, but given how hopelessly late they are right now and how desperately they are trying to figure out how to fix 9.1, this is probably, and unfortunately, not the case anymore.
    Aha. So what according to you is art team doing right now? Drinking champagne while other work their ass off to get ready 9.1 asap?

    Of course during Legion they were far, far in advance, we can thank patch 6.3 for that. For example Nighthold was produced during Beta, and around Blizzcon they already were working on 7.2/Tomb, hell they even show screen from Argus. So they were 2+ patches in advance, doesn't mean now they are not working in advance at all, cause they have to.

    Btw, desperately trying to figure out how to fix 9.1? Interesting, interesting.

  20. #280
    either first week of july or never

    i think star citizen will get a release date before 9.1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •