• October

10 2.67%
  • Next Year

21 5.60%
  • Never/Cancelled

47 12.53%
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Yet your own survey indicates it happened. Which doesn't mean it is a conspiracy at best and actually confirmed to have happened.
    You are just making shit up right now.

1/3 claiming delays
    1/3 claiming no impact
    1/3 claiming increased productivity

That is what the survey indicates. If Blizzard is one of the companies that suffered delays (which I still find bullshit) then it is an indication that their organization sucks, and that they should learn from those for whom covid caused an uptick in productivity, just like there have been games which have uniquely been released -early- because of covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    You are just making shit up right now.

1/3 claiming delays
    1/3 claiming no impact
    1/3 claiming increased productivity

That is what the survey indicates. If Blizzard is one of the companies that suffered delays (which I still find bullshit) then it is an indication that their organization sucks, and that they should learn from those for whom covid caused an uptick in productivity, just like there have been games which have uniquely been released -early- because of covid.
    Yep. 2021 is just like any year before. There were some delays, but also as many games get released faster than expected! This survey is so right!

Oh wait, it's totally not what is happening.

You are just making shit up right now. 1/3 claiming delays
    How can I be making things up when you just stated there was an impact in a third of survey responders? You don't seem to know what it is you are actually saying and that is weird.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

sad that people are making conspiracies on a gaming company
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

It's cool that you gullibly gobbled up the notion that there were 'setbacks' due to covid in every gaming company.

I however don't buy that crap. Quality of games has been in decline for a long time now, this year covid just was an easy to use excuse for lazy dumb-dumbs.

Covid did not impact anything anywhere where game or software development is concerned. You can do that job on the train, on the toilet, at home, or at the office all the same.

Stop believing bullshit.
    You work in a gaming company multitudes larger than blizz???

Cool which one??

Dude, I linked you a developer survey, the most recent 2021 in which there it is clear that game devs overall opinion is that covid had no impact on their productivity. The one from 2020 was even less favorable to your nonsense because in it only 10% claim that there was a negative impact on productivity.

Quit your own BS.

Covid causing game development delays is a conspiracy theory at best.
    As a fellow developer I can confirm.

Software development in general had very little impact by Covid. My company actually had increase in profit.

Also I can confirm that software for financial institutions is much more complex than game development in general because how much time/work goes to making sure it doesn't break. A stupid invoice/tax calculations can sometimes take incredible amount of iterations, tests (automated and manual) and code reviews.

Now what I personally think what caused the delay is probably management/directors not taking into consideration their devs warnings. It's pretty often seen in industry.

"But boss, this is going to take at least twice the amount of time you think."
    "Can you squeeze it faster?"
    "I can try but still wont make it in original estimation"
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    As a fellow developer I can confirm.

Software development in general had very little impact by Covid. My company actually had increase in profit.

Also I can confirm that software for financial institutions is much more complex than game development in general because how much time/work goes to making sure it doesn't break. A stupid invoice/tax calculations can sometimes take incredible amount of iterations, tests (automated and manual) and code reviews.

Now what I personally think what caused the delay is probably management/directors not taking into consideration their devs warnings. It's pretty often seen in industry.

"But boss, this is going to take at least twice the amount of time you think."
    "Can you squeeze it faster?"
    "I can try but still wont make it in original estimation"
    What do you develop?

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Patch will launch June 29th, which is super early August, so Towellie source was right. /s
    Hehe, you are on a roll today, love it!
    - Everything that lives is designed to end. We are perpetually trapped in a never ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle… and wonder if we’ll ever get the chance to kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    What do you develop?

Hehe, you are on a roll today, love it!
    Everything as I am actually CTO now. Including but not limited to simple websites, online shops, socket chat systems, http based servers, low level socket servers, desktop apps, mobile apps, general purpose libs. Basically every project we have internally even if I don't actively develop goes thru me.

We are basically specializing in two things: First one is fiber optic transceiver programming and software for this - which got pretty damn advanced desktop and web application. Hardware is also our design PCB + ARM firmware. Second thing is SaaS applications (web, mobile) for business clients.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Everything as I am actually CTO now. Including but not limited to simple websites, online shops, socket chat systems, http based servers, low level socket servers, desktop apps, mobile apps, general purpose libs. Basically every project we have internally even if I don't actively develop goes thru me.

We are basically specializing in two things: First one is fiber optic transceiver programming and software for this - which got pretty damn advanced desktop and web application. Hardware is also our design PCB + ARM firmware. Second thing is SaaS applications (web, mobile) for business clients.
    Sounds cool. I always wanted to learn some of that, on a hobby basis of course, but never really started except making a nintendo "fan site" (lol) at school. Never too late I guess.

Is it domestic(polish isnt it?) or more international?Your company that is. I would guess web development is extra hot these days like gaming cause of covid or is it just a natural increase? I would guess it would be either way. Tough competition?
    Last edited by Doffen; 2021-06-26 at 05:40 AM.
    - Everything that lives is designed to end. We are perpetually trapped in a never ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle… and wonder if we’ll ever get the chance to kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Sounds cool. I always wanted to learn some of that, on a hobby basis of course, but never really started except making a nintendo "fan site" (lol) at school. Never too late I guess.

Is it domestic(polish isnt it?) or more international? I would guess web development is extra hot these days like gaming cause of covid or is it just a natural increase? I would guess it would be either way. Tough competition?
    Saas is domestic, fibre opitics is also Europe since our indirect customers (we do soft and hardware for company that deals with commerce part of this) are for example internet provider companies that also operates in nearby countries.

It got hot because more people stayed home, so they wanted better internet, so our indirect customers had more customers, so they had to upgrade their infrastructure to handle more clients, so they had to order more modules.

And honestly we don't have much competition on what we do. It's not a consumer product, and its pure waste of money if you are small organization. So its also hard to estimate the actual competition. Its basically a damn expensive 5 digit box that makes sense if your internet infrastructure is big enough.

And no, it's never too late to start, I've started like 2 years ago dabbling in unity with some udemy courses. Lately dont have much time for this.

EDIT:

So to summarize I really doubt blizzard had more issues because of covid, they could have hiccups when transitioning to home work but after that I would say they should have kept the productivity at least on the same level.
    Last edited by kaminaris; 2021-06-26 at 06:15 AM.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Saas is domestic, fibre opitics is also Europe since our indirect customers (we do soft and hardware for company that deals with commerce part of this) are for example internet provider companies that also operates in nearby countries.

It got hot because more people stayed home, so they wanted better internet, so our indirect customers had more customers, so they had to upgrade their infrastructure to handle more clients, so they had to order more modules.

And honestly we don't have much competition on what we do. It's not a consumer product, and its pure waste of money if you are small organization. So its also hard to estimate the actual competition. Its basically a damn expensive 5 digit box that makes sense if your internet infrastructure is big enough.

And no, it's never too late to start, I've started like 2 years ago dabbling in unity with some udemy courses. Lately dont have much time for this.

EDIT:

So to summarize I really doubt blizzard had more issues because of covid, they could have hiccups when transitioning to home work but after that I would say they should have kept the productivity at least on the same level.
    Okay, thanks for the insight!

And yes, I also dont think they can blame Covid that much for 9.1, maybe for the postponed SL release, with its ramifications indirectly delaying the other content such as 9.1, but 7 months seem 5-7 weeks late, which is fitting for this:

I would go so far and say the TBC Classic release was in the way. The ptr has seemed ready, content wise, for a good while. My speculation ofc.
    Last edited by Doffen; 2021-06-26 at 06:26 AM.