21 5.60%
  • Never/Cancelled

47 12.53%
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraethion View Post
    Simple, their normal development cycle was delayed when developing Endwalker. Pandemic created a delay in their work schedule which added +138 days, and that back in April 2020 was when the developers had to work remotely from home. I figured this timeline would also serve as a visual aid. That as you can see the main part where they got hit with the disruption from the pandemic was during their 5.2 patch and some into their 5.4 patch. For 5.5 those days include up to the release date for Endwalker.

Also the devs admit that their workflow was affected by the pandemic and they apologized to the players for the delays.

Yes there normal development was delayed by COVID said delays carried over to the summer just like in wow with even the amount of months delayed being very similar between the two games.

Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    Blizz obviously has massive problems, just look at their Overwatch 2 presention this E3, they litteraly walked on stage, talked about the change from 6v6 to 5v5, showed zero gameplay/screenshots, and then proceeds to show 2 new skins and thats all they had to show, zero gameplay
    zero gameplay covers the majority of E3.

We have games with release dates that we don't even know what kind of game they are, let alone seen a single second of gameplay.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Do you really think that?
    Lets assume for simplicity sake they're behind 200 hours on dev time. Bit over a month at 8 hours per day, no weekends, no overtime.
    How would you catch up on 200 hours behind, while still doing everything else? You work every Saturday? Great, now just do that for 6 months and you're still not caught up lol.
    Reduce the amount of work. 9.1 is 99% reused assets and nothing really new. Nothing like Nazjatar for example. By giving us basically Northrend in 9.2 or just another revamped zone they can cut down on work and catch up.

We shouldn't expect anything breathtaking or completely innovative for Shadowlands anymore as that would require work they can't afford to do. So just expect more revamped stuff and assets and be fine.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Reduce the amount of work. 9.1 is 99% reused assets and nothing really new. Nothing like Nazjatar for example. By giving us basically Northrend in 9.2 or just another revamped zone they can cut down on work and catch up.

We shouldn't expect anything breathtaking or completely innovative for Shadowlands anymore as that would require work they can't afford to do. So just expect more revamped stuff and assets and be fine.
    While that would work for art assets you can’t really do the same for code or design unless they were just copying old content 1 for 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    While that would work for art assets you can’t really do the same for code or design unless they were just copying old content 1 for 1.
    Well, the team working on art assets can sooner work on the next expansion art or whatever. One way or another they can save time and try to catch up by reducing the amount of work overall.

15+ Year Old Account
    With all the key people leaving and the massive brain drain, who's surprised? Blizzard's creative department is in shambles and rightfully so.
    People have always been leaving though. It is just in recent years it has a spotlight and is turned into a way to insult/attack those who are left.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, the team working on art assets can sooner work on the next expansion art or whatever. One way or another they can save time and try to catch up by reducing the amount of work overall.
    That’s true the art team could move on but (and I’m pulling this out of my ass) id think the art team isn’t the ones holding up content releases they almost always seem to be way ahead and have room for extra work rather that be putting Wod assets in the mop files or reworking old models even if there not relevant to current content like what there doing with the boars this patch.

You are still in school aren't you? Never been out in the real work world yet?

3+ Year Old Account
    Yes there normal development was delayed by COVID said delays carried over to the summer just like in wow with even the amount of months delayed being very similar between the two games.
    Not necessarily. It is a bit more complicated. According to Yoshi-P one of the reasons Endwalker will take longer to release is that considering it is the culmination of a 10 year long story arc, it will include 30% more voiced cutscenes than usual. And that takes a lot of work from everyone. Now I'm not saying it is just that. Obviously things like Soken's condition and COVID also played a part. But also these delays were communicated and explained to the players. They also provided a roadmap for system updates and seasonal events till Endwalker hits.

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    You are still in school aren't you? Never been out in the real work world yet?
    If you have 200 people working on a project and you can remove 20 people from that project and move them to the next project, you're accelerating development.

- - - Updated - - -

That’s true the art team could move on but (and I’m pulling this out of my ass) id think the art team isn’t the ones holding up content releases they almost always seem to be way ahead and have room for extra work rather that be putting Wod assets in the mop files or reworking old models even if there not relevant to current content like what there doing with the boars this patch.
    The art department was just an example. I'm sure they can allocate developers and that the art team isn't solely capable of doing art or whatever. Requiring less manpower in department x means they can work in another department and accelerate the work process. By a lot? Not necessarily. But it will help.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Not necessarily. It is a bit more complicated. According to Yoshi-P one of the reasons Endwalker will take longer to release is that considering it is the culmination of a 10 year long story arc, it will include 30% more voiced cutscenes than usual. And that takes a lot of work from everyone. Now I'm not saying it is just that. Obviously things like Soken's condition and COVID also played a part. But also these delays were communicated and explained to the players. They also provided a roadmap for system updates and seasonal events till Endwalker hits.
    Why does it seem like I’m the only one who reads there releases about COVID?

Sure bigger content releases take longer to develop but that wouldn’t be a delay just a later already planned out releases date.

At the end of the Final Fantasy 14 keynote livestream, game director Naoki Yoshida gave a proper release date: November 23, 2021. He acknowledged that this is a bit later than expected due to the Covid-19 pandemic, and that the development team didn't want to compromise on features in order to release it early. We've updated the story below to reflect that.
    https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/final-fan...ing-this-fall/
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2021-06-14 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry123 View Post
    PTR is far from the final stage
    -unfinished models
    -no music
    -broken cutscenes
    -no VO and effects
    -DNT text

24 August - I'm 100% sure
    the voice overs are in the files. and what unfinished models? also the music is there but not in the files. the composers record the music wayyy before the patch hits the PTR
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

7+ Year Old Account
    The art department was just an example. I'm sure they can allocate developers and that the art team isn't solely capable of doing art or whatever. Requiring less manpower in department x means they can work in another department and accelerate the work process. By a lot? Not necessarily. But it will help.
    While it’s possible some of the art team have some experience in coding and other things it’s incredibly unlikely enough so to actually speed any thing up, it could even slow things down further depending on rather they were trained in wows code and the like or not. The departments just don't have a lot of overlap in what you train and learn.

In all likely hood there is nothing they could actually do to speed things up outside of just reusing old content or cutting content.

If you have 200 people working on a project and you can remove 20 people from that project and move them to the next project, you're accelerating development.
    Yup, still in school and no idea how the real world works. Got it

3+ Year Old Account
    Why does it seem like I’m the only one who reads there releases about COVID?

Sure bigger content releases take longer to develop but that wouldn’t be a delay just a later already planned out releases date.

It would be a delay in the sense that the expansion would be released later than usual. And again, I never said COVID doesn't play a huge part of it. But you can't just compare the time between say 4.55 and 5.0 ot 5.55 and 6.0 and simply say, yep. COVID. Reality is not that simple. Similarly you can't really compare it to WoW cause you don't know the original roadmap or if they have more problems beside COVID. For better or worse, they are not as transparent.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    It would be a delay in the sense that the expansion would be released later than usual. And again, I never said COVID doesn't play a huge part of it. But you can't just compare the time between say 4.55 and 5.0 ot 5.55 and 6.0 and simply say, yep. COVID. Reality is not that simple. Similarly you can't really compare it to WoW cause you don't know the original roadmap or if they have more problems beside COVID. For better or worse, they are not as transparent.
    It wouldn’t be a delay at all planning time tables with out accounting for what content is actually being made isn’t something any company does.

And I’m not comparing the time between any patch’s I’m comparing the time they said they wanted to release the content (q3) and the time the content is actually coming out (q4) and then looking to the reason they gave for that change which is COVID.

As much as people want to pretend otherwise they are in the exact same boat as wow with the only difference being they actually communicate about it.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2021-06-14 at 04:57 PM.

In all likely hood there is nothing they could actually do to speed things up outside of just reusing old content or cutting content.
    And that's exactly what I mentioned they are doing for 9.1 and most likely will be doing for 9.2 as well? That's the entire point. Plus ending the expansion on 9.2 will help getting 10.0 out sooner. I'm fairly optimistic that we'll be getting 10.0 in late 2022.

7+ Year Old Account
    And that's exactly what I mentioned they are doing for 9.1 and most likely will be doing for 9.2 as well? That's the entire point. Plus ending the expansion on 9.2 will help getting 10.0 out sooner. I'm fairly optimistic that we'll be getting 10.0 in late 2022.
    But there not cutting or reusing content baring art In 9.1 and art is likely already always a head so reusing some won’t recoup lost time.

If they do cut 9.3/make 9.2 smaller then that would help ya as it’s a full tiers worth of code and design they can throw at a new expan but that’s get to be seen.

5+ Year Old Account
    the only thing that's missing is like an addition to the borrowed power system, but we get new legendaries and conduits, so that might be counted as that; nothing in the style of Essences though).
    They are adding those special sockets to SoD gear, which aren't actually sockets... but instead work off a convoluted shard system they are still working at. Because that's exactly what SL needs, moar systemz ftw.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraethion View Post
    Simple, their normal development cycle was delayed when developing Endwalker. Pandemic created a delay in their work schedule which added +138 days, and that back in April 2020 was when the developers had to work remotely from home. I figured this timeline would also serve as a visual aid. That as you can see the main part where they got hit with the disruption from the pandemic was during their 5.2 patch and some into their 5.4 patch. For 5.5 those days include up to the release date for Endwalker.

Also the devs admit that their workflow was affected by the pandemic and they apologized to the players for the delays.

After the pandemic patch though they still managed to drop there normal 2 mini patches to lead up to the .3 patch and both .3 .4 an .5 cadence is similar to the past expansions and were about 4 months from each other.

Not to mention its not like Blizzard, they haven't bailed out on the expansion now that .5 is out, 3 minor patches to build up to Endwalker, with 2 more event patches and a fan service patch til Endwalker in Nov.

Meanwhile in that same Window as listed about Blizzard is struggling to get out 1 patch..