Thread: Euro 2020

Page 81 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    It's not that tiny a proportion unfortunately, and the 'bad apples' tend to actually be supported by the government and press who actively supported the booing. It's why even we English posters here are concerned about them and have a hard time supporting the team because of the association.

Our own country and its institutions have spent the past 40 odd years promoting the image of the England Fan as being rather unpleasant.
    Well... I seem to remember headlines reading "Give them some stick" from back at Euro 2000 where English known hooligans gathered in Brussels for England's match. The police basically raided the bar they were gathering and pulled no punches. England's media seemed to be pretty happy that it happened and that was only 20 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    Well... I seem to remember headlines reading "Give them some stick" from back at Euro 2000 where English known hooligans gathered in Brussels for England's match. The police basically raided the bar they were gathering and pulled no punches. England's media seemed to be pretty happy that it happened and that was only 20 years ago.
    Of course they never condone the violence, they'll just wind them up until it happens and then go all "oh look how terrible they are". Same with all the xenophobia and immigrant bashing they peddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post

Stop crying, in sport sometimes shit happens!
    You really need to stop bringing this up, the ball was CLEARLY not over the line.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    You really need to stop bringing this up, the ball was CLEARLY not over the line.
    Very good!

haha 11/10

Haha first time Ive laughed over this

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that's the first time I've seen anything related to this and not gotten annoyed or angry, well played.

Makes you wonder if we would have still gotten goal line tech as soon as we did had it not happened.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    I think that's the first time I've seen anything related to this and not gotten annoyed or angry, well played.

Makes you wonder if we would have still gotten goal line tech as soon as we did had it not happened.
    I don't know whether this comforts you, but in germany "we" have been joking about this from the get go because of how painfully obvious this goal was. Still can't believe how this wasn't given.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    I dont actually. Its a take. Literally nothing happens if i'm wrong so i dont "need" to do anything.

I'm just not very impressed by Italy. This is basicly the first time in the cup that England has been in trouble, not exactly the same can be said for Italy
    Have won every game the last 13 games and conceded just 3 goals, scoring 33 goals. That's around 2.5 goals per game and conceding 0.23~ goals per games. Yeah, they're so bad right now xD

But you indeed doesn't have to do anything, because that would be hopeless. You obviously don't understand football at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    As an outsider, part of the charm of soccer is how fucked up it is. There are terrible calls all the time, and the sport has the most extreme penalties of any sport anywhere - you just get a free shot at scoring a goal, or the other team plays a man down the rest of the game?
    In hockey, there are penalty shots and technically you can play a man down for the rest of the game if the right penalties are called. Basketball they take free throws all the time and you can if enough players foul out. A team can play the game a man down as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post

Stop crying, in sport sometimes shit happens!
    What was the point of this post? 1. There wasn't any VAR at that time, and 2. Just because there were fuck-ups previously does not mean we should turn a blind eye to blatant injustices especially when replay technology have improved a lot since 2010. VAR was present when Sterling dived and the ref still turned a blind eye to the diving so what is the fucking point of VAR if handlers are gonna remain so biased and corrupted?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    The booing and the laser wasn't the team. Every team had players dive, even Denmark. Is that an unpleasant part of the game? Yes, but until they get better at catching and dealing with it, it's here to stay.
    Yeah, diving, cheating and bad fan behavior is prevalent and so we should turn a blind eye to such foul practices and behavior with nonchalance. Got it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    As an outsider, part of the charm of soccer is how fucked up it is. There are terrible calls all the time, and the sport has the most extreme penalties of any sport anywhere - you just get a free shot at scoring a goal, or the other team plays a man down the rest of the game?

As an outsider I love the lack of replay, commercials and all that, but I can't imagine being a real fan of this shit. It's just a crazily unfair sport.

Exactly. A lot of fans love "manufactured excitement" like such incidences and the powers behind the scenes know it. That was exactly my point previously.

Infracted
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2021-07-10 at 02:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Biden is a creepy old dude, I will not be voting for the guy.
    ^ This is from a self-proclaimed Trump-hater who goes round vote-policing, berating and insulting other users for expressing their doubts and reservations about Joe Biden. He also urges others to end relationships and friendships just to "vote Trump out". https://ibb.co/2jRnZGC He can't seem to walk the talk himself.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Yeah guess I should have known this was a surreal year when pep handed chelsea the champs league.

Grats btw.
    This is a bit late, but --

We beat Man City 3 times in a row, and some people still have the audacity to imply that we won because Pep fucked up, rather than we won because we were better. Get a clue.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockybalboa View Post
    Yeah, diving, cheating and bad fan behavior is prevalent and so we should turn a blind eye to such foul practices and behavior with nonchalance. Got it.
    Where did I say turn a blind eye? The majority of penalty appeals and fouls inside, and outside the box are just not given. I agree theatrics goes too often unpunished, but on the other hand, Dan James got 2 yellow cards for simulation this season - where there was on replay clear contact - but since they were given on the edge of the box rather than in it, there was no VAR to fix it and give the foul instead. There have been a couple of occasions, earlier on in VAR, where penalties were overturned and yellow cards given; players just got better at making sure there is contact, as there have been occasions where nothing was given and the game pulled back for a penalty.

The problem is it's just hard to tell, unless there's obviously no contact, and even there it can be a result of a player trying to avoid contact from a rash challenge rather than deliberate simulation. That's why I said we need to find a way to get better to picking it up, VAR isn't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by lockybalboa View Post
    What was the point of this post? 1. There wasn't any VAR at that time, and 2. Just because there were fuck-ups previously does not mean we should turn a blind eye to blatant injustices especially when replay technology have improved a lot since 2010. VAR was present when Sterling dived and the ref still turned a blind eye to the diving so what is the fucking point of VAR if handlers are gonna remain so biased and corrupted?
    I could ask the same question back what is the point of you throwing around corruption and conspiracy theories?

I will break it down for you again, sometimes obviously bad calls are made in football, be it for a pen, offside, yellow or red cards, that is why VAR was added to the game to reduce them. There was contact with Sterling in the box, I personally didn't think it was enough for a pen after watching the replay, but I also didn't think it was enough to give Sterling a card for simulation. VAR disagreed with my and a lot of other peoples view, including many English fans. However Kane also had a much stronger claim for a pen that wasn't given...

Grunt
    5+ Year Old Account
    England may have the fan support at Wembley, but most neutrals are backing Italy (or "anyone but England", largely due to political reasons).

An England win tomorrow would be beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tykaine View Post
    England may have the fan support at Wembley, but most neutrals are backing Italy (or "anyone but England", largely due to political reasons).

An England win tomorrow would be beautiful.
    Do you just tell yourself stuff like this to feel more special? I don't know anyone around me that has this 'anyone but England' attitude. People are mature enough to separate politics and sport. Except for the folk are actually toxic for England and the United Kingdom with their jingoistic bullshit.

And if there are folk who have this attitude, well good luck to them. Their opinion doesn't matter as far as the football is concerned.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to be honest and maybe its just the glass half-empty mentality that I always have coming into big games whether it's for club or country but....I can't see us beating italy tomorrow. 33 games unbeaten is kinda insane, they have a great team ethic and mentality and historically they have the upper hand over us. We've had a great run but I think the pressure will be too much tomorrow

Lets hope I'm wrong

England played great against Denmark for the first 10-15 min's, then they got very nervy and could barely string 2 passes together, but after Denmark scored they seemed too calm down and started playing better, I don't think England can afford such lapses against Italy. Pickford looked quite suspect with ball at his feet against Denmark, I expect Italy will put him under a lot of pressure any time he has the ball.

England have looked impressive going forward down the left with Sterling and Shaw, they can cause Italy problems and Kane has started to looking like he is finding some form and playing better as the tournament has gone on, so will also be a threat, but this relies on if we can unlock Italy's defence?

I am more concerned about England's defence, this will be the sternest test so far, Italy have been great going forward, but didn't look as good against Spain.

I would still make Italy the favourites, but not as strongly as I had it before the semi's, fingers crossed for a good game and VAR not being needed!

Guess we shall see if "Going Home" or "Going Rome" soon!

Can't wait to see this. Copa America was fun but this is where the big boys play. It's gotta be Kane!