Thread: Euro 2020

Page 96 of 97 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I don't know what Southgate was thinking when he gave the most important penalty in over 50 years to a teenager who hadn't even taken a single penalty in his professional career.

10+ Year Old Account
    I knew it from the moment that England scored in the second minute that they would park the bus and Italy would equalise and eventually win on pks.

Then why didn't I put a bet on it goddammit?

Well played both teams, a final is usually not the best football showcase, it's usually more a nerves showcase.

I'm frankly happy Italy took it, the English would become way too unbearable to deal with had they won. Also, I'm still salty about what happened to Denmark, plus the whole "Every game is played at Wembley" thing.

Southgate and the English should be proud they got to the final, considering the golden generation with Beckham, Scholes etc couldn't do it and they could.

Good refereeing as well by the dutchman. That Chiellini card was an obvious yellow, never a red (not a chance at goal).
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2021-07-12 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    There has never been a country who won 2 penalty shootouts in a row in the history of the Euros

and now there's one!!!

never thought we could come to this end, before the start of the tournament I would been happy if we'd get to quarter finals
    but in the end we deserved it, we faced Belgium, Spain and England in a row, teams way better than us on paper, and yet we deserved it

we are now at 34 matches without losing, 34, three years...

in the last two decades football evolved a lot, thanks to trainers like Guardiola, even Italy played with Verratti and Jorginho that are very far from the italian school, and yet a very old fashioned defender like Chiellini gets to be the campion
    this is the sixth victory for Italy in a major tournament out of ten finals (for England was just the second one) and endless semifinals, and we have been in at least one final in every decade but in the 50's, in the last 100 years
    I know that Italian football has always received a lot of criticism, that we rarely have the strongest team, that national teams like Brazil and Germany are much more considered than us, but in the end we are always been there, in the past, in the present and hopefully in the future

looks like I'm the only italian on mmo-champion :\
    Last edited by Yossarian; 2021-07-12 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    Feel bad for the hate that Saka/Rashford/Sancho will be getting. Think Keane was spot on with his assessment that it's embarrassing that players like Grealish and Sterling (in their prime age) either didn't have the balls enough or weren't chosen to take the penalties over a 19 year old kid who might carry this miss with him for the rest of his career.
    #sayyestoracism trending on Twitter. People have been thrown out of bars, because of their skin colour. They have been spit at. One black man has been thrown in the Thames. You know it's bad when italian fans' racism pales in comparison.

Super proud of the players last night, and the 3 lads for having the guts to take the penalty that were missed. The nerve it must take to do that.

I do however wonder what Southgate has been doing in this tournament, especially in regards to substitutions.

To see players of that immense quality sitting on the bench, and not coming on at all or coming on late, and i am talking about all the games England played over the whole competition here, it really makes me wonder what could have been.

I know everyone's praisng Southgate etc etc, but i personally think he bottled it, or was out of his depth in some of his tactical decision-making late in the game. An aging Italy defense, Kane and a few were looking like they were in quicksand beyond the first half and with the options available for him on the bench, makes me question him as a manager.

Italy was ringing the changes, keeping the pressure up while we were sitting on the back foot, that cant be a good sign surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    No, you are not ;-)
    I'm also from Rome.
    What can I say, Happy that I have skipped the planned new RAID last Sunday

Bella ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    #sayyestoracism trending on Twitter. People have been thrown out of bars, because of their skin colour. They have been spit at. One black man has been thrown in the Thames. You know it's bad when italian fans' racism pales in comparison.
    Who'd have thought relentlessly shoving PCness and "equality" down people's throat could backfire eventually, huh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was worried after such an early goal that we'd try and just sit on it, and that's what happened. Italy ultimately deserved it as they played better for the remaining minutes, and what's happened since has just nailed down why I wasn't sure I even wanted us to win.

Well done Italy! You were the better team and deserved the win. Despite the loss I am still immeasurably proud of the England team and so, so grateful for the rollercoaster ride of the last few weeks.

Here's to WC2022!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Who'd have thought relentlessly shoving PCness and "equality" down people's throat could backfire eventually, huh.
    Protesting against abuse shouldn't be something people find repulsive.

There's no excuse for being a racist prick.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I was worried after such an early goal that we'd try and just sit on it, and that's what happened. Italy ultimately deserved it as they played better for the remaining minutes, and what's happened since has just nailed down why I wasn't sure I even wanted us to win.
    Soon as Southgate brought on Henderson my heart sank.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

I think England need to remember that they were beaten by a very good team. It has been a long time since anyone beat Italy, and England took them to penalties. So many positives. A really good, young team. Massive amounts of depth, the strength of the bench was insane. Of course it hurts, but that pain will pass, and they look like contenders for the World Cup.

The abuse towards those who missed their penalties was disgusting. Especially Saka, he had a brilliant tournament. Rashford is just a good human being. Sancho is one of the most exciting prospects England have had in a long time. It is sick how they are being treated by some so called fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

justice has been served, england didnt deserve to win against denmark, italy worked hard to win, english players just dive and hope to get free kicks, no skill, no brain

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumkin View Post
    justice has been served, england didnt deserve to win against denmark, italy worked hard to win, english players just dive and hope to get free kicks, no skill, no brain
    Tell me you didn't watch the Euros, without actually telling me you didn't watch the Euros.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

I have to agree I feel Southgate made mistakes with team selection and substitutions. Why didn't Graelish get a lot more game time? Was he carrying an injury all tournament or something? Sancho shoulda seen more play too, he was good in the short periods he had.

Oh well, its a young team and maybe we can put together a good run at the world cup? Would be nice to see.

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    The abuse towards those who missed their penalties was disgusting. Especially Saka, he had a brilliant tournament. Rashford is just a good human being. Sancho is one of the most exciting prospects England have had in a long time. It is sick how they are being treated by some so called fans.
    When you have a Government like ours that validates booing the players who take the knee, what do you expect?

From Italy

You can try next time england!

Btw, maybe next time a little less "arrogant" is better. "it's coming home" lel.

But you can see the cup, you can fly here, to Rome.

Have good time guys.

Yeah, that's totally an excuse to be racist pricks.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWash89 View Post
    From Italy

You can try next time england!

Btw, maybe next time a little less "arrogant" is better. "it's coming home" lel.

But you can see the cup, you can fly here, to Rome.

Have good time guys.
    you do know that 'its coming home' is joke from a song that people say with the full expectation thats its not coming home?

Next tournament we will say 'its coming home' and the one after that...

I just dont see the arrogance in it, if anything its self deprecation.

Fuck me, this is the dumbest hot take ever.

‘Yeah, man. People are being racist because they’re tired of not being racist’.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    No, non sei l'unico/a.

On topic: Both teams (England and Italy) positively surprised me in the tournament. I didn't think one of them would reach the finals before the Euro started. Congrats to both of them!