Thread: Elden Ring

Ya with the bells you can buy everything but that last upgrade. And late game has nice easy ways to get runes to buy what you want or level.

The rune/effort ratio in the game is pretty off too. You can farm millions of runes with little effort or danger. Don't even have to get to the late game either. Early on at level 1, you can farm trolls pulling the carts for 2k+ runes every few seconds.

Killing statues, sniping snake guys, AFK on the stairway. It's silly.

I still haven't completed the game but have all the boss armor & weapons bought and all my items are upgraded to +24/+9. Most of my ashes are around +6/7 and I think have all but two of them now. I think I am around level 250 now.

I honestly thought they should rebalance the risk/reward for runes in this game because it's pretty silly how overpowered you can become with relative safety.

Just beat the infamous Malenia. My takeaway from it is that her signature move, Waterfowl Dance, DOES have a surefire way to avoid it - outrun the first two sets of slashes, roll towards her for the third, and roll away from her for the final slash.

HOWEVER, I feel like it's the kind of move that needs certain limitations for it not to feel unavoidable. For example, if she uses it when in close proximity, there's no feasible way for you to outrun the first two sets. You only get about three seconds of warning when she leaps up in the air, and that's not enough time to get the distance you need to properly avoid it.

Additionally, although I only saw it happen once, it's entirely possible for her to use Waterfowl Dance twice in a row, and potentially even more than that. This is also problematic, as by the time she finishes the first one, chances are she's already closed the distance between you and has now left you unable to avoid the second one.

If they ever patch her fight, they NEED to make it so that she only uses this attack when the player is at least a certain distance away from her, because otherwise, it simply can't be dealt with.

Additionally, since I used spirit summons, I noticed during the fight that she can literally sidestep projectile attacks that are coming from BEHIND HER that she's FACING AWAY from. That's honestly kind of BS

Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    Just beat the infamous Malenia. My takeaway from it is that her signature move, Waterfowl Dance, DOES have a surefire way to avoid it - outrun the first two sets of slashes, roll towards her for the third, and roll away from her for the final slash.

HOWEVER, I feel like it's the kind of move that needs certain limitations for it not to feel unavoidable. For example, if she uses it when in close proximity, there's no feasible way for you to outrun the first two sets. You only get about three seconds of warning when she leaps up in the air, and that's not enough time to get the distance you need to properly avoid it.

Additionally, although I only saw it happen once, it's entirely possible for her to use Waterfowl Dance twice in a row, and potentially even more than that. This is also problematic, as by the time she finishes the first one, chances are she's already closed the distance between you and has now left you unable to avoid the second one.

If they ever patch her fight, they NEED to make it so that she only uses this attack when the player is at least a certain distance away from her, because otherwise, it simply can't be dealt with.

Additionally, since I used spirit summons, I noticed during the fight that she can literally sidestep projectile attacks that are coming from BEHIND HER that she's FACING AWAY from. That's honestly kind of BS
    I'm on her now. She's 2 phases right? Is her second phase within the same health bar, or does she get a new healthbar to start phase 2. I'm not sure if I almost beat her or if I almost got to phase 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I'm on her now. She's 2 phases right? Is her second phase within the same health bar, or does she get a new healthbar to start phase 2. I'm not sure if I almost beat her or if I almost got to phase 2.
    New health bar.

tbh its fine as an optional super boss with it being an attack you need to try and pre read or bait out(and will also randomly die on some attempts due to her using it in odd situations) but it's not a mechanic I would ever want them to throw on a regular boss or make more common in their games.

- - - Updated - - -

Heals to 75%. Phase 2 is actually easier then phase 1 but be prepared to dodge and run away right at the start. Only annoying thing about p2 is she has 2 new attacks that both look like waterfowl on startup while still having waterfowl. One is still similar in that you want to run away anyways so not a big deal but the other one is just an easily dodgable attack that leaves a punish window so extremely annoying if you read that as having to run away and miss the punish.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-04-08 at 06:12 PM.

P1 is Blade of Miquella.
    P2 is Goddess of Rot.

Cutscene between phases. She is different in P2 (no spoilers).

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The rune/effort ratio in the game is pretty off too. You can farm millions of runes with little effort or danger. Don't even have to get to the late game either. Early on at level 1, you can farm trolls pulling the carts for 2k+ runes every few seconds.

Killing statues, sniping snake guys, AFK on the stairway. It's silly.

I still haven't completed the game but have all the boss armor & weapons bought and all my items are upgraded to +24/+9. Most of my ashes are around +6/7 and I think have all but two of them now. I think I am around level 250 now.

I honestly thought they should rebalance the risk/reward for runes in this game because it's pretty silly how overpowered you can become with relative safety.
    It's a bit off to get as many runes from a Crucible knight as from 3-4 normal foes you can one or two shot, yeah. But I doubt the devs intended for mob farming to be the most efficient rune gathering method. Bosses seem to give a huge payout when slain, it only feels anemic in comparison to some of the cheesier farming methods I've heard of. In general Elden Ring isn't that well balanced a game, but considering its genre and how massive it is that's not a big knock on it.

And I'm sure not playing this enough to get to level 250 lol. I'm at 106 reaching Mountaintop of the Giants. From what I've read that's nearing the end of the game, although I still have one or two underground zones to traverse, as well as Volcano Manor to complete and the very endgame areas (I'm assuming the crumbling city I stumbled into from a portal is one of those).
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vaati's video is finally out!

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Vaati's video is finally out!

I just found this separately, he's really good, imagine reading every weapon description and linking it all together!

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    It's a bit off to get as many runes from a Crucible knight as from 3-4 normal foes you can one or two shot, yeah. But I doubt the devs intended for mob farming to be the most efficient rune gathering method. Bosses seem to give a huge payout when slain, it only feels anemic in comparison to some of the cheesier farming methods I've heard of. In general Elden Ring isn't that well balanced a game, but considering its genre and how massive it is that's not a big knock on it.

And I'm sure not playing this enough to get to level 250 lol. I'm at 106 reaching Mountaintop of the Giants. From what I've read that's nearing the end of the game, although I still have one or two underground zones to traverse, as well as Volcano Manor to complete and the very endgame areas (I'm assuming the crumbling city I stumbled into from a portal is one of those).
    The only thing I have to do is initiate the final steps to fight the last boss. But I still haven't completed or found every dungeon, open-world boss, encounter, secret, and so on. As I am playing mostly blind- I was told what triggers the final events so I didn't cross over the point of no return.

I only stopped to farm runes when I needed a weapon or ash upgrade. All my levels have all come from fighting and exploring the game.

Should say, I stop to fight everything. Rarely do I run past monsters. Even if I have to do a boss run back, I fight every monster on the way there. Each time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    I just found this separately, he's really good, imagine reading every weapon description and linking it all together!
    That's what I am doing...
    Last edited by Fencers; 2022-04-08 at 08:31 PM.

There is evidence now that if you throw a frozen pot at her once she starts the dance it completely stops her from continuing it. Should make phase 1 a lot easier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the Vaati video doesn't bring anything that wasn't known before, but he ties the big stuff neatly. He left out a lot of lore about the Ancient Cities, demigods, outer gods etc, but I'm guessing he has a whole series coming about each of them.

He left out a big thing about Radagon, but it's still a working theory that Radagon is an entity of the the Greater Will fused as a separate entity unto Marika as a means to control her since she was having doubts about an alien being controlling everything.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2022-04-08 at 09:24 PM.

When I finally beat her I felt it was just because I got lucky on the dance moreso than anything as I was fine on the fight, and she’d without fail pull it at the worst possible time for me.

If it was simply something that she would queue up at 50% or less one time, and could retrigger if she went back over 50% I think it would be a better fight.

Yeah the Vaati video doesn't bring anything that wasn't known before, but he ties the big stuff neatly. He left out a lot of lore about the Ancient Cities, demigods, outer gods etc, but I'm guessing he has a whole series coming about each of them.

He left out a big thing about Radagon, but it's still a working theory that Radagon is an entity of the the Greater Will fused as a separate entity unto Marika as a means to control her since she was having doubts about an alien being controlling everything.
    Considering his name is literally radagon "of the golden order" and described as "the other half" is it really just a "theory"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Considering his name is literally radagon "of the golden order" and described as "the other half" is it really just a "theory"
    The golden order isn't divine, it's just Marika's third reich, but yeah.

Also, it's pretty telling that he appears all the way in the end before the Elden Beast shows up, and that thing is from the Greater Will.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2022-04-08 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

That's what I am doing...
    Then I salute you!

It would be nice to get your thoughts on the story afterward to compare.

I actually messed my first game up, started again just after the snowy mountains start or whatever it's called. got out of the tutorial dungeon and had the feeling of ' wow I can do anything' it's just an amazing game

I'm also more or less Criss crossing the map doing everything in that new game.

This is like game of the century for me at the moment

The golden order isn't divine, it's just Marika's third reich, but yeah.

Also, it's pretty telling that he appears all the way in the end before the Elden Beast shows up, and that thing is from the Greater Will.
    Yeah but names generally are a bit of a give away as to thier lore like how Marika is "the eternal" because she held the rune of death before ranni stole it. Of the golden order is rather tounge in cheek

Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post

This is like game of the century for me at the moment
    If this isn’t game of the year/gen/decade then I’m anxious to see what could unseat it. Even with its flaws I’d call it a 10/10 without hesitation.

After 160 hours I’ve put it aside, and really look forward to the DLC. It can’t come too soon.

Yeah the story is set up well for more DLC.

I'm personally interested in Miquella's story with Mohg. Why Mohg was feeding him blood and couldnt make a bond. Hes clearly not dead and is slumbering in that cocoon.

Plus the other gods/giants/mistbegotten where messing around long before the Elder beast/star fell bringing the greater will into the lands between
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2022-04-09 at 01:58 AM.