Thread: Elden Ring

Page 5 of 123 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Honestly, after thinking about it for a day, this really strikes me as being Dark Souls 4. And I have absolutely zero issue with that.

Some sort of mixture of Dark Souls and Sekiro, though aesthetically way more the former than the latter or Bloodborne. I'm sure it'll be a lovely experience, but I am kind of tired of Dark Souls's look and themes, which made Bloodborne and Sekiro breaths of fresh air. Doesn't help that this, too, is cross-gen, which is quite apparent in the trailer (understandable, of course, considering the low install base of PS5s).

All in all Elden Ring is on my shortlist for games to play, but the trailer left me wanting more than it delivered.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Not sure what to think of it. Looks... okay, I guess?
    Cannot help but feel that this is literally Dark Souls 4, with all the good AND the bad things that brings. And yeah, it does look a bit dated, though I suppose game will look at least sharper upon release.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Dark Souls with horses is what most people want. Keep the amazing creature / boss design, stellar level design, amazing art / atmosphere / music, and tons of secrets / lore to discover, but just make more of it and do some new things on top of it (like open world, mounts, etc.).
    Yeah, I get you. I'm not impressed primarily because while I like Dark Souls, I don't love it, and much preferred Sekiro. I'd have liked From to put their talent to use in a more original direction, but hey if Dark Souls with horses is what they want to make and what many of their fans want them to make then there's no problem in them making that. I'm just left being a bit puzzled as to why they made a new IP if so when they could have just as well have made Dark Souls 4 in a universe reborn from the ashes or darkness or whatever the important word is that time around.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

I really don't know why they didn't name it Dark Souls IV. It looks exactly like Dark Souls and I'm loving it. I haven't kept up with all the information, what is the difference from Dark Souls gameplay here? Hope it's not like Sekiro and more like Bloodborne, hated the Sekiro combat gameplay from the first minute.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    I really don't know why they didn't name it Dark Souls IV. It looks exactly like Dark Souls and I'm loving it. I haven't kept up with all the information, what is the difference from Dark Souls gameplay here? Hope it's not like Sekiro and more like Bloodborne, hated the Sekiro combat gameplay from the first minute.
    Mainly so they're not locked in by the rules of a Dark Souls game. Which is fair enough. Still would've liked a Bloodborne sequel myself, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I seriously don't understand the whole "From Software games look bad thing." Demon's Souls and Dark Souls looked bad at the time definitely and Dark Souls 2 wasn't the best either, but I think Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, and Sekiro all look quite good. I never played those games and was like "Wow this looks bad." It isn't pushing graphics in any major way, but it doesn't need to.

The games look passable, with great art direction and incredible gameplay. If you want more than that, then you should touch grass and wake up to reality.

Will there be an easy mode? xD

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I seriously don't understand the whole "From Software games look bad thing." Demon's Souls and Dark Souls looked bad at the time definitely and Dark Souls 2 wasn't the best either, but I think Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, and Sekiro all look quite good. I never played those games and was like "Wow this looks bad." It isn't pushing graphics in any major way, but it doesn't need to.

The games look passable, with great art direction and incredible gameplay. If you want more than that, then you should touch grass and wake up to reality.
    Dark Souls III has phenomenal visuals. I have no idea how anyone can complain about Dark Souls graphics, for their time they've always been astounding.

I think it looks super generic. Nothing really stands out compared to the countless other Souls-like games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    My god can't they do something that does not scream Dark Souls ? I know it's the same devs but come on, this game has no soul ... or a dark soul if we want to joke around.
    This is like asking the Final Fantasy devs to stop making Final Fantasy. Its all the same crap to me, so why even bother?

I for one consider all Souls games to be some of the most artistically integral games we have. I applaud them for actually being works of art. You not liking the formula is a you problem, just like me with Final Fantasy. not something the game needs to solve.

Its success speaks to that.

Very excited. From Software has a spotless record in my books. Even DS2 was a great game in my book, just not as good as its brethren.

10+ Year Old Account
    FUCK YESSSSS. I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS SINCE DARK SOULS 1. As good as the other Soulsborne games are, none of them approach the freedom of Dark Souls 1.

Quote taken from IGN's interview with Miyazaki:https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-r...mmer-of-gaming

One of our big themes for development of this new world was that, because of the grandeur and sense of scale of it, we didn't want players to get lost and not have any clue of what to do or where to go. So there is an element of guidance, particularly at the beginning. There is a mainline route that they can follow, but at any time they're free to break off this route and to take the untrodden path. We wanted to focus on a design that caters to that high level of freedom, that free order of progression throughout the world - which order you choose to tackle the different areas, the different bosses, and how you approach each of them as well.
    - - - Updated - - -

They also talk about how this game is going to have more customization than we've seen in other Soulsborne games. They really trying to make me play the game 10 times aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    I think it looks super generic. Nothing really stands out compared to the countless other Souls-like games.
    Other than the fact that most "souls-like" games suck in comparison to the actual souls games because they fail to nail the most important part of these games (the actual combat)?

Also, I could play a near-infinite amount of novel content in the form of souls games made by fromsoftware, so I'm happy they keep pushing this sub-genre of RPGs. There aren't enough. Too many half-baked shit shows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    Not much since Dark Souls if I'm well informed. And let's not lie to ourself, even Sekiro who had a different setting than the seemingly medieval / renaissance europe still had pretty much the same formula with the greyish atmosphere and the same creature design. I mean, you even have monsters from Dark Souls 3 in it, or things that ressemble it. From the video I can't tell shit about the gameplay. It's not like games like CP2077 where you can see the driving is awful just by looking at the car movement.

People might like it and that's good for them, but I don't understand why people are overhyping this game. It's just Dark Souls with another name.
    You mean like what blizzard does with their games?

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    FUCK YESSSSS. I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS SINCE DARK SOULS 1. As good as the other Soulsborne games are, none of them approach the freedom of Dark Souls 1.

Quote taken from IGN's interview with Miyazaki:https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-r...mmer-of-gaming

- - - Updated - - -

They also talk about how this game is going to have more customization than we've seen in other Soulsborne games. They really trying to make me play the game 10 times aren't they?
    That's so true. Ds1, with all his limitations simply had more freedom. It wasn't something they aimed for I think. I feel like it was a direct result of the unmatched quality of their level design.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Other than the fact that most "souls-like" games suck in comparison to the actual souls games because they fail to nail the most important part of these games (the actual combat)?

Also, I could play a near-infinite amount of novel content in the form of souls games made by fromsoftware, so I'm happy they keep pushing this sub-genre of RPGs. There aren't enough. Too many half-baked shit shows.
    Yeah I don't know why people think they should change.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    https://www.igromania.ru/article/317...ye_bolota.html

Elden Ring clearly has a lot in common with Dark Souls. Why couldn't it just be named Dark Souls 4?

We wanted Elden Ring to be a culmination of our love for games, in particular dark fantasy and action-RPGs. The Dark Souls setting will limit us with restrictions about plot, gameplay, enemy design... Besides, if we talk about worldbuilding, we already did everything we could do with Dark Souls' main theme - linking the fire - and therefore decided to try something new. Fresh world, fresh themes.
    12/6/2009 -23/11/2020 rip little deathstalker Ferretti. proud forsaken, enemy of the livings

Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    Thank you!

Elden Ring clearly has a lot in common with Dark Souls. Why couldn't it just be named Dark Souls 4?

We wanted Elden Ring to be a culmination of our love for games, in particular dark fantasy and action-RPGs. The Dark Souls setting will limit us with restrictions about plot, gameplay, enemy design... Besides, if we talk about worldbuilding, we already did everything we could do with Dark Souls' main theme - linking the fire - and therefore decided to try something new. Fresh world, fresh themes.
    Fresh world, fresh themes, cool. They could've added fresh aesthetics to that mindset in my opinion. Hell, if Elden Ring ends up being vastly different in areas we haven't seen yet I'll gladly eat my words, but for what they showed us it really doesn't feel fresh. More like enhanced, here and there.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    You mean like what blizzard does with their games?
    I'm sorry, but I can hardly find the similarities between Diablo and WoW outside of the basic undead creatures who are present in every video game. And even Warcraft and Starcraft, who are both RTS games have a completely different design.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    Fresh world, fresh themes, cool. They could've added fresh aesthetics to that mindset in my opinion. Hell, if Elden Ring ends up being vastly different in areas we haven't seen yet I'll gladly eat my words, but for what they showed us it really doesn't feel fresh. More like enhanced, here and there.
    This explanation seems odd to me. They heavily imply there’s gonna be a heavy shift in theme/world “beyond the scope of light, beyond the reach of dark” at the end of Sotfs why not continue that idea even if it is just with an item description or something not core to the games story.