Thread: Elden Ring

Page 95 of 123 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    When you are going down the Haligtree, and you come the spot where you see a Erdtree Avatar patrolling the large ramparts to your right, when you continue on in that and you eventually reach a group of soliders and another Erdtree Avatar waiting for you with a Ballista, and blocking a door. It has been a very hard run for me, to get back there. What I would like to know, is that door closed, can I just run up and open it, and get the grace, or is it required to clear the Erdtree Avatar first. This is the Elphael Inner Wall I'm trying to get to.
    Go around them. There is an alternate path. Don’t want to spoil it for you unless you ask outright but this area has a lot of side areas and more than one way to get past that guy (one of the few big things I’ve yet to kill).

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Similar model with a simpler version of the moveset because its literally the boss in questions offspring, and completely optional having basically nothing to do with the main story. Literally complaining that they added content to the game, the same way every game on the planet adds optional content to their games.

"OPTIONAL BOSS NOT 100% UNIQUE LAZY ASS DEVS"- can't make up this batshit insane logic that applies to almost every video game on the planet.

- - - Updated - - -

Yawn, Astel is an optional boss that gets reused what once? Maybe twice? I dunno I forgot counting space bugs but there definitely wasn't that many I only clearly remember him and the one close to temple of blood entrance. Complaining about Godfrey would be hilarious since it's an actual story telling moment, the crappy gold spirit version is just testing you and way more passive then even phase 1 of the hoarah loux fight and dragons well we complaining open world bosses are re-used now? That would be quite silly.

Some of this logic is bat shit insane and not grounded in reality if you expect From Software to churn out 20 different completely unique dragon fights, or being a baby that a remembrance boss got recycled once for bonus content. This is certainly not logic formed by people that play video games regularly.
    Nobody is saying not to have reused bosses. Just not ones that are big spectacle fights that occur at key story moments / quests. And just because other games do it is not an excuse. It's bad in those games, and it's bad here. All the more reason why open-world nonsense doesn't cater well to the series' strength. It also doesn't help that a lot of the fights you mentioned (the dragons, Godfrey #1) are pretty much trash in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Go around them. There is an alternate path. Don’t want to spoil it for you unless you ask outright but this area has a lot of side areas and more than one way to get past that guy (one of the few big things I’ve yet to kill).
    Hey, go ahead, please do tell, I'm getting near the end and don't want to miss anything. I'm past spoilers at this point, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't in response to the quoted poster but to some of the recent posts in this thread: I don't notice when they reuse models because I'm just here to have fun. How could anyone possibly care about that, I don't really get it?

Getting lost in the weeds about what particular model is reused is missing the point imo.

Someone said it "cheapens" the game. What does that even mean? How does reusing a model "cheapen" something?

Look, if you dislike this game, everyone has their own opinion, but I would be surprised if ours lined up about most thing. Might as well tell me water is dry. This game is beyond great(imo) and no amount of "cheapening" of whatever could even affect that opinion. The game is gargantuan, and the best we got is subtraction by addition? Come on now. They did too much work and the game isn't good because of too much optional content "cheapening" the other content? Did you not know it was optional?
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-03-30 at 06:01 PM.

Hey, go ahead, please do tell, I'm getting near the end and don't want to miss anything. I'm past spoilers at this point, lol.
    Will tag for others.

So you go from ?prayer room? Grace, turn right and hop down the roof. Hop off the ledge, move down the line (tower shield guy, few guys standing around on break). You keep going down stairs and go in the room with the two scarlet rot knights as I call them. When you exit that room, you turn left and there is a room with a root in it you can walk up. You walk up it and are on a ledge, and actually you can hop and walk down one of those structure ramps (not a normal ramp, hopefully you know what I mean). Careful here as if you stop the ballista guys in front of tree guy will shoot you off. At the end of it will be roof area and a scarab and one of those flowers that calls the wrath of god. You are on the roof area where two more scarlet rot guys are inside.

From there you can hop down kill a few more soldiers, and sneak up on the side ballista guys. Wack them and there’s another structure ramp, you run up it, and then can hop off and be over that door. Go down a ladder and there will be a grace.

Hope this is the door you are taking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Any boss with a Rememberance should generally not be seen anywhere else in the game. I'll give a pass to Margit and Morgott because you could argue he is the Genichiro of this game and is repeated for story reasons. Same with Godfrey. I'll also give a pass to Lichdragon since you have to fight him on foot which most people fought Lansseax on horseback.

They should not have repeated Godrick, The Regal Ancestor, Astel (this one bothers me the most), or Mohg. There are 15 rememberance bosses in the game and you fight a similar version of 7 of them. It fucks up the epicness of the fights in retrospect in my opinion.
    7 out of 15? Man that's way too much. Again, reusing stuff like dragons and Crucible Knights, fine. Reusing mainline Great Rune bearing bosses for no reason other than they can sucks tho, at least without a story reason; for example you fight Baldur proper twice in God of War but it makes sense both times, and the second go around he has an expanded moveset to keep the fight interesting. An even better example is Genichiro in Sekiro, who kicks your ass at first, then gives a tough but fair fight later on, and gets pooped on before you fight Isshin. That's a great mark of the player's progress and fully justified in-story by the fact that he's immortal. But randomly having Godrick's son in a random jail so that you fight the main guy's first phase again with bigger stats? That's just not interesting at all and diminishes the first fight IMO.

@Verdugo Oh ok thanks, that confused me. Two dragons I've fought ended up disappearing while moving away from their arena but then respawned in the center of it. That one just vanished into thin air while my back was turned after I passed on my horse.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Never played any of the Dark Souls games, but gotta say, this looks nice.

Such a daring game. It just flips me out how much they are willing to just cram into the world and be fine with the player never encountering half of it, at least.

A single enemy sitting on a rock overlooking the pasture. A small pond among some thick trees near a cliffside hides a zombie that will rise from the mud if you splash through the pond. A dog gnaws on a bone beneath an overhanging rock, the bulk of the carcass down the road.

Marvelous.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Nobody is saying not to have reused bosses. Just not ones that are big spectacle fights that occur at key story moments / quests. And just because other games do it is not an excuse. It's bad in those games, and it's bad here. All the more reason why open-world nonsense doesn't cater well to the series' strength. It also doesn't help that a lot of the fights you mentioned (the dragons, Godfrey #1) are pretty much trash in the first place.
    I get what you are saying, but if you think about it its kind of silly because why would you not reuse the best parts of anything?

You want 50 fights of snail summoner or the imp cat?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    I get what you are saying, but if you think about it its kind of silly because why would you not reuse the best parts of anything?

The snails summoners gona summon skinned boss. But i dont get the complaint either lol. Hell if there was optional super hard reskin of every main boss it would be awesome lol.

Kate Bush as From Soft games is one of the cleverest video games memes I have ever seen. A low bar, but it's brilliant.

I'd rather have fewer fights that are good than 50 fights that are mediocre or reused. Quantity is no quality of its own.

Last night I discovered that the phantom in the base is the dung eater and he gave me a Sewer Goel key, also I found the legendary spear on top of the spear in the capital pre-ash. Tonight I will raid the sewers and this weekend I shall ride in the Haligtree lower depths, shiny and chrome.

The game doesn't need 50 fights. Honestly, 50 mini-dungeons is too much. They should have cut the number down by half at least and make them larger / more intricate with better encounters, puzzles, and diverse environments. All of this stems from the problem that the game is too large and could have been cut by a third, hell, even by half and it would still have been huge.

The game doesn't need 50 fights. Honestly, 50 mini-dungeons is too much. They should have cut the number down by half at least and make them larger / more intricate with better encounters, puzzles, and diverse environments. All of this stems from the problem that the game is too large and could have been cut by a third, hell, even by half and it would still have been huge.
    I do agree the game is too large for some people. My brother has not made nearly the progress I thought he would so far. That said, there are many, like myself, who love the game and love the additional content, even if it is somewhat respun.

My brother doesn't just have problems with Elden Ring, but most open world games.

It's a phenomenon I have dubbed "collecting in futility". Basically this is a person who will scour every corner of the map, caves, everything, their OCD simply cannot let them not do it. They have fomo for those caves and they prefer to play. I call it "collecting futility" because usually in other games, he will collect(search every corner, no matter how maddening for someone who is trying to actually watch him play) for like an hour, die, and then have to recollect it all again(luckily, From games flip that script on its head). Not everyone could be a streamer, and my brother could NEVER be a streamer because it is kinda boring watching his ocd fomo corner scouring of every inch of a game until either he wins or is burnt out.

Problem is, open world design somewhat leaves pacing up to the player, some players, like my brother, simply cannot pace their own game. They can't do it. They are so excited about the game at first that they spend 100 hours in Limgrave, and get burnt out and never see the rest of the game.

The first big challenge for the player in any open world game is to pace yourself. Pace yourself arbitrarily, against what one's own OCD and fomo will allow, and open world games can stop becoming such a chore. Pacing is a mechanical solution to an emotional problem. One simply does not want to skip content, but one also simply cannot spend 120 hours in Limgrave and still be hyped about going to the second area.

The number one game that this affected me with was Dragon Age Origins and how I first realized this pitfall in nearly all open world games.

The games are designed for multiple playthroughs, really, and the developers never think that any significant groups of players would be so ocd as to track down everything(but also hate doing it and not have fun, simply because of fomo), but the reality of gamers sets in and half of your audience can't understand wanting to scour, and the other half cannot understand NOT wanting to scour.

I would point out that these pacing issues, and this asset reuse, is a problem in nearly all open world games, and only appears to be worse in Elden Ring because Elden Ring is more popular, got a higher metacritic score, and is actually even larger and much more difficult than most open world games. It's just open world design without handholding, made difficult, and scaled up in size. These issues were always going to appear. However, they are a cost to be paid to provide a game that the majority would hold dear and cherish. Improving open world design means experience open world design problems that this one developer couldn't fix, but it also means the best open world game so far.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-03-31 at 04:25 PM.

The game indeed doesn't need them. You know, just like you don't have to do them all. That's the glory of it being optional content, you could do half or a third of them and still complete the game just fine. Amazing how logic works right?

This isn't some fucking ubisoft game where "optional content" isn't actually optional. You can do as much or as little of it as you want to so complaining about it again is just complaining for the sake of it and not contributing to any discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

I would point out that these pacing issues, and this asset reuse, is a problem in nearly all open world games
    Oh my friend, from software doesn't need it to be an open world game to re use the fuck out of assets. Not even in single games, a third of the assets in Dark Souls 3 are straight jacked from Bloodborne and another 3rd are just polished up Dark Souls 1 assets. Elden Ring is actually sitting pretty in this regard compared to their previous efforts but asset reuse is just a reality of game development.

Looks like dataminers have started to find stuff on the cut 7th ending called "The Age of Absolution". If the subtitles are legit thats got some interesting implications that might be being saved for DLC.

I barely used jumping to avoid attacks, guess it was better then I thought.

I do agree the game is too large for some people. My brother has not made nearly the progress I thought he would so far. That said, there are many, like myself, who love the game and love the additional content, even if it is somewhat respun.

My brother doesn't just have problems with Elden Ring, but most open world games.

It's a phenomenon I have dubbed "collecting in futility". Basically this is a person who will scour every corner of the map, caves, everything, their OCD simply cannot let them not do it. They have fomo for those caves and they prefer to play. I call it "collecting futility" because usually in other games, he will collect(search every corner, no matter how maddening for someone who is trying to actually watch him play) for like an hour, die, and then have to recollect it all again(luckily, From games flip that script on its head). Not everyone could be a streamer, and my brother could NEVER be a streamer because it is kinda boring watching his ocd fomo corner scouring of every inch of a game until either he wins or is burnt out.

Problem is, open world design somewhat leaves pacing up to the player, some players, like my brother, simply cannot pace their own game. They can't do it. They are so excited about the game at first that they spend 100 hours in Limgrave, and get burnt out and never see the rest of the game.

The first big challenge for the player in any open world game is to pace yourself. Pace yourself arbitrarily, against what one's own OCD and fomo will allow, and open world games can stop becoming such a chore. Pacing is a mechanical solution to an emotional problem. One simply does not want to skip content, but one also simply cannot spend 120 hours in Limgrave and still be hyped about going to the second area.

The number one game that this affected me with was Dragon Age Origins and how I first realized this pitfall in nearly all open world games.

The games are designed for multiple playthroughs, really, and the developers never think that any significant groups of players would be so ocd as to track down everything(but also hate doing it and not have fun, simply because of fomo), but the reality of gamers sets in and half of your audience can't understand wanting to scour, and the other half cannot understand NOT wanting to scour.

I would point out that these pacing issues, and this asset reuse, is a problem in nearly all open world games, and only appears to be worse in Elden Ring because Elden Ring is more popular, got a higher metacritic score, and is actually even larger and much more difficult than most open world games. It's just open world design without handholding, made difficult, and scaled up in size. These issues were always going to appear. However, they are a cost to be paid to provide a game that the majority would hold dear and cherish. Improving open world design means experience open world design problems that this one developer couldn't fix, but it also means the best open world game so far.
    For me it's got nothing to do with the game's Metacritic score or anything. More like when it does have so many unique assets, the recycling is made far more prominent and I imagine the game being smaller but featuring as many of the unique stuff as possible. That's where my disappointment lies, the somewhat wasted potential for a more focused, curated and higher quality experience. IDGAF about asset recycling in the lastest asscreed or bethesda offline MMO because those games hardly have unique potential to begin with as I see it and are choke full of padding by design. While this game goes 90% of the way but then pads itself with reused story bosses and such. It's almost more of a disappointment.

And yeah, pacing an open world right is very difficult. Elden Ring does it better than most with clear gateway bosses and enemies, which an experienced player can cheese/bypass but a newbie will have to punch through by leveling and finding better stuff. It's a good design that has its limits but still works to funnel the player towards appropriate challenges, it just works too well on some people who want to grind everything so they never hit a wall again. New Vegas was harsher about it, giving the new player one clear, safe path and putting overly powerful enemies (if not invisible walls) elsewhere. Some people didn't like that approach at all, I personally liked that it serves as an introduction to the setting and its problems, while allowing veterans to bypass the Deathclaws and Cazadores and such and head for Vegas directly if they're good enough.

I also think Elden Ring tried to give players hints as to when/where they should go next with all the golden trails coming from Sites of Graces but I don't believe it worked very well at that. There's just too many of them and they vaguely point in a direction without helping much otherwise. There's nothing that tells you, even subtly, that by level 30-35 you really should move on from Limgrave. Dragon Age Origins was accidentally far better about it by simple virtue of running out of content at some point, there are only so many quests and enemies in every zone and very little respawns. Denerim is really the only place that really does have too much stuff for its own good IMO.

The problem with this is it achieves the effect those "25 fights" or mini-dungeons become the only content. Expansiveness gives From the option to allow you to fail, not see things, miss other things, etc. Even if 1/3rd of those theoretical "25 mini-dungeons" (assuming From cut the content by half) were optional, the total content take would still be reachable without a lot of mystery.

Suppose a player going through the game normally, i.e. following the story beats linearly, would encounter through this course of playing 16-17 essential sets of content. Leaving only 7-8 of these as optional (1/3rd of 25) is a very low engagement of content after the necessary content. That isn't a bad thing, some might prefer that style of design philosophy.

However, as Elden Ring is expressed in the gameplay that is clearly not the philosophy through which this game is designed. The game is trying, by design, to give a sense of the unknown to the game world and encounters. They choose to achieve this adventure via mechanisms of mystery, obfuscation, trickery, and volume.

By default, the player doesn't know how many tombs they can go down. The player doesn't know how many boss encounters are in the game. How many NPCs one may or may not encounter. Where the invisible ladders, walkways, walls, and monsters are located. Et cetera.

I don't. I literally have no idea how many bosses, dungeons, tombs, or whatever are in the game. I am over 100 hours in on two different characters and I explore, take notes, run to the end of all hallways, tap all walls, throw stones off all drops and stop to fight every single enemy.

The only things I know are; 1. Radagon/Elden Beast is the last boss. 2. The capital changes if a player advances the narrative to a certain point. I don't know what is that point for #2 though.

The actual game world isn't very large. It is dense, however. The nature of the design changes totally if one alters the sense of quantity From baked into the regions and content sets.

It is cool to make a tighter and more focused game. Naturally. But that is not their intention without having to reconcile design choices that are anathema to what Elden Ring actually is as expressed through the gameplay.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2022-03-31 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Oh my friend, from software doesn't need it to be an open world game to re use the fuck out of assets. Not even in single games, a third of the assets in Dark Souls 3 are straight jacked from Bloodborne and another 3rd are just polished up Dark Souls 1 assets. Elden Ring is actually sitting pretty in this regard compared to their previous efforts but asset reuse is just a reality of game development.
    thats true for every from software game. damn even enchanted arms have tons of skeleton reused for some des or ds1 bosses (i think vanguard or flamelurker and 4kings for example)
    12/6/2009 -23/11/2020 rip little deathstalker Ferretti. proud forsaken, enemy of the livings